Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497796 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1365 on: November 14, 2014, 03:51:39 AM »
I voted:

Open Secrets
Chain Lightning
The Big Wheel
Peaceable Kingdom
We Hold On
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1366 on: November 14, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »
I voted:

Different Strings
Chain Lightning
Cut to the Chase
Color of Right
Freeze
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1367 on: November 14, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1368 on: November 14, 2014, 10:30:24 AM »
I voted:

Different Strings
Available Light
Alien Shore
Everyday Glory
Freeze
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1370 on: November 20, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »
R40 is a really nice package. The Anthem Vault songs,  interviews came in a seperate dvd with a paper slipcase.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1371 on: November 20, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
R40 is a really nice package. The Anthem Vault songs,  interviews came in a seperate dvd with a paper slipcase.

Hi, Ben_Jamin
Can you tell us about the Rush in Rio improvements on BR version? Is it much better than the DVD version, in the audio and video sense?
Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1372 on: November 20, 2014, 11:54:44 AM »

Hi, Ben_Jamin
Can you tell us about the Rush in Rio improvements on BR version? Is it much better than the DVD version, in the audio and video sense?
Thanks!

I'll try my best.  Haven't watched that yet, went straight to the bonus bluray.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1373 on: November 20, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
 :tup take your time and enjoy it! :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1374 on: November 20, 2014, 12:06:11 PM »
So far tge bonus stuff is cool. Some are the best they could get of the shows.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1375 on: November 20, 2014, 05:38:52 PM »
Whenever they're ready to tour, I'm ready.  Have to admit I'm still pulling for R42 though.

I wasn't planning on getting R40 until there was a massive sale, but the addition of the three extra Molson songs, two of them being Resist and Natural Science on the exclusive disc was enough to get me to pull the trigger.

The partial '97 show, the two unreleased Laura Secord songs (and the show was put back in order), the songs that were left off of the original R30 concert, the Hall of Fame induction, and that unfunny I Love You Man thing (which I could have done without) were the only tracks that I didn't have in some form so I essentially spent $106 for that and the upgrade to Blu-ray (which wasn't all that important to me)

I was kind of let down a bit by the art and packaging too which is usually a positive, but wasn't this time for me.

The 97 footage is by far the highlight -- that and the induction ceremony (tears were shed again) --  and although I'm very familiar with the entire 6-30-97 performance having had it on VHS and later DVD for nearly 15 years, the pro-shot perspective is most welcome.   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1376 on: November 20, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »
Got it for my b-day yesterday.  Looking forward to reliving the Amphitheatre show.  Best Buy Canada doesn't even carry the normal R40 package, let alone the BB exclusive.   :| :\ :angry: >:( :censored
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1377 on: November 20, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »
Got it for my b-day yesterday.  Looking forward to reliving the Amphitheatre show.  Best Buy Canada doesn't even carry the normal R40 package, let alone the BB exclusive.   :| :\ :angry: >:( :censored

Happy Birthday!

For what it's worth, the backstage club also has the exclusive bonus disc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1378 on: December 09, 2014, 09:41:14 AM »
Rush vinyl re-releases...

Following ReDISCovered...the band decided to re-release all of the first 16 albums on vinyl....with Fly By Night, A Farewell to Kings and Signals including a bonus BluRay audio of the album.  (I'm going to assume that they are the identical mixes as were included in the Sector box sets...which I have still heard very little feedback of...but at least now I will be able to buy the 5.1 separately instead of with a box of CD's I already own)

Fly By Night is coming first in January, then they will be released one or two a month through the end of the year.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2014/12/09/4191/12-Months-of-Rush-Mercury-era-Rush-albums-to-release-on-Blu-ray-audio-and-vinyl-in-2015

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1379 on: December 09, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
As an owner of the box sets, I'm now more than a little annoyed. I know it's more negligence or bad negotiating on the bands part than being directly their fault, but they've let the label create a huge cash grab atmosphere to suck money from the big fans, no doubt. This is just another example.

Edit: I'm speaking of including the 5.1 stuff well after releasing it and making it seem like it would only be in the box sets.

Might pick up a few of the vinyl releases, even though I already have originals of all of them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1380 on: December 09, 2014, 10:42:20 AM »
As an owner of the box sets, I'm now more than a little annoyed. I know it's more negligence or bad negotiating on the bands part than being directly their fault, but they've let the label create a huge cash grab atmosphere to suck money from the big fans, no doubt. This is just another example.

Edit: I'm speaking of including the 5.1 stuff well after releasing it and making it seem like it would only be in the box sets.

Might pick up a few of the vinyl releases, even though I already have originals of all of them.

Might be just a mild thing...but remember this is a BluRay release...the originals were DVD-A.   Not only that, but I never really cared for the idea that I had to buy an entire box set just to get that DVD-A....which is why I never got it.   I'm kinda happy that now I'll be able to pick it up as a standalone piece if I wish. 

I realize that it's semantics since they are most likely the identical mixes.   I just wish they'd pull the trigger on remixing *all* the albums for 5.1 instead of this picking and choosing crap. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1381 on: December 12, 2014, 05:32:13 AM »

Might be just a mild thing...but remember this is a BluRay release...the originals were DVD-A.   Not only that, but I never really cared for the idea that I had to buy an entire box set just to get that DVD-A....which is why I never got it.   I'm kinda happy that now I'll be able to pick it up as a standalone piece if I wish. 

I realize that it's semantics since they are most likely the identical mixes.   I just wish they'd pull the trigger on remixing *all* the albums for 5.1 instead of this picking and choosing crap. 

I get what you are saying, and back with the box sets I wished then that they would be released separately. But they didn't, and that was a cash grab, and now releasing a perhaps slightly better version now is a cash grab on top of a cash grab. As was the compilation with 3 remixed Vapor Trails songs prior to the real thing. As was the R40 set. As was one or two other things I'm forgetting at the moment.

I've always given them credit for one thing, they drive hard for new fans with their pricing. On Amazon right now I could get Hold Your Fire brand new, shipped to my door in two days for $4.02. I could get other albums for $5, and most of the rest for $6. But man, have they fleeced hardcore fans hard over the past decade.

Oh, and the merch in the expensive VIP packages was rather disappointing as well.

Okay, I'm done bitching, as I was typing that last sentence my Enemy Within alarm went off and reminded me how much I love them, even if I don't love their merchandising. And another nice thing, the backstage club has always put out a lot of cool items like playing cards, calendars, pins, etc.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1382 on: December 12, 2014, 07:23:22 AM »
RUSH PLAN YEAR OF REISSUES
14 of the Canadian giants’ albums to launch on hi-def audio throughout 2015
Universal Music are to release 14 Rush albums from their Mercury days on high quality audio throughout 2015.

Last month the band released their long-awaited R40 box set – a six-disc collection of live recordings plus previously unseen footage from their early days. Now a run of reissues will launch next year, starting in January with 1975’s Fly By Night and ending in December with 1989’s A Show Of Hands.

All the records will be reissued on vinyl and bundled with a code for the digital audio version and high resolution digital audio release, while Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings and Signals will also be issued on Blu-ray audio.

Earlier this year, Universal reissued the band’s self-titled 1974 debut.

Mainman Geddy Lee recently said he and guitarist Alex Lifeson were “chomping at the bit” to start writing the follow-up to 2012’s Clockwork Angels. They’ll decide early next year whether they’ll tour in 2015.

RUSH 2015 REISSUES
January: Fly By Night

February: Caress Of Steel

March: 2112, All The World’s A Stage

April: A Farewell To Kings

May: Hemispheres

June: Permanent Waves

July: Moving Pictures, Exit… Stage Left

August: Signals

September: Grace Under Pressure

October: Power Windows

November: Hold Your Fire

December: A Show Of Hands

Well then... I guess now's a good time to start my Rush Vinyl collection. Gotta go back and get the debut album first.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1383 on: December 12, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »
RUSH PLAN YEAR OF REISSUES
14 of the Canadian giants’ albums to launch on hi-def audio throughout 2015
Universal Music are to release 14 Rush albums from their Mercury days on high quality audio throughout 2015.

Last month the band released their long-awaited R40 box set – a six-disc collection of live recordings plus previously unseen footage from their early days. Now a run of reissues will launch next year, starting in January with 1975’s Fly By Night and ending in December with 1989’s A Show Of Hands.

All the records will be reissued on vinyl and bundled with a code for the digital audio version and high resolution digital audio release, while Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings and Signals will also be issued on Blu-ray audio.

Earlier this year, Universal reissued the band’s self-titled 1974 debut.

Mainman Geddy Lee recently said he and guitarist Alex Lifeson were “chomping at the bit” to start writing the follow-up to 2012’s Clockwork Angels. They’ll decide early next year whether they’ll tour in 2015.

RUSH 2015 REISSUES
January: Fly By Night

February: Caress Of Steel

March: 2112, All The World’s A Stage

April: A Farewell To Kings

May: Hemispheres

June: Permanent Waves

July: Moving Pictures, Exit… Stage Left

August: Signals

September: Grace Under Pressure

October: Power Windows

November: Hold Your Fire

December: A Show Of Hands

Well then... I guess now's a good time to start my Rush Vinyl collection. Gotta go back and get the debut album first.

-Marc.

I'm all in for this IF and ONLY IF these are specifically mastered for vinyl, otherwise I'm going to pass since I have everything already.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1384 on: December 21, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »
Today is the 21st of December, and of course, that means it's 21-12!

HAPPY RUSH DAY EVERYONE!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1385 on: December 21, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »

-Marc.

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1386 on: December 21, 2014, 03:00:34 PM »
Indeed  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1387 on: December 21, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »
The first 21/12 for which I actually have a Rush album to listen to. Two actually, but I went for the brilliant Clockwork Angels. It's going to take something special to top it as my personal favourite Rush album. Listening to it today, I realised what a great musical journey it is. It flows both musically and conceptually as one piece. And Geddy Lee's voice (already one of the most distinctive in rock) has a real maturity to it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1388 on: December 21, 2014, 10:40:56 PM »

-Marc.

:metal

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1389 on: December 30, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: December 30, 2014, 11:49:12 AM »
A Rush tour is always a good rumor

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1391 on: December 30, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
A Rush tour is always a good rumor
Especially when it's Boston!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1392 on: December 30, 2014, 01:21:41 PM »
My old fart cousin is already complaining that's it's a Tuesday in Boston.  Take the next day off old man! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: December 30, 2014, 04:03:47 PM »
The mention of possibly a couple new singles or EP is good to hear!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1394 on: December 30, 2014, 04:29:46 PM »
The mention of possibly a couple new singles or EP is good to hear!

I wouldn't be surprised if the boys reconvened after the New Years and got together to write a few songs, possibly record them for an EP, then tour on those few new songs, iron them out a bit, write while on the road, then go into the studio the next year to record the full album. This would put the next Rush album on track for a 2017 release, which follows the pattern they've done with releasing a new album every 5 years, but at this late in their careers and lives, it could very well be their last.

So ideally, they would write a it in 2015, tour a lot, write some more and record in 2016, release in 2017, then do one long tour on the alum throughout 2017-2018. I wonder if they'll be working long enough to see R50 in 2024???

-Marc.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: December 30, 2014, 06:25:14 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see R75 in 2049

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1396 on: December 30, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »

Rush will re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release their entire catalog once again on MicroSD 4TB Chips, featured in full 9.1 Mental Surround, pre-programmed and ready for installation into your Neural Network.

-Marc.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: December 30, 2014, 07:56:27 PM »

Rush will re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release their entire catalog once again on MicroSD 4TB Chips, featured in full 9.1 Mental Surround, pre-programmed and ready for installation into your Neural Network.

-Marc.

:D

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1398 on: December 30, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »
I get the vibe from Geddy and Alex that they're rushing to make one more album because they know the end is close. I remember after Snakes & Arrows they seemed to be taking their time with a new album whereas I saw Geddy mention that he wanted to write very quickly after the Clockwork Angels tour ended. I don't think we'll have to wait 5 years for the next album. I predict late 2016.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1399 on: December 30, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »
I'm hoping if Rush announced some shows in the West Coast that they would be doing an LA show somewhere in the LA Live area like Staples Center or Nokia Theater.  I got connections with someone that works with the company that owns those venues.

Must see Rush.  If that happens, then I have or will have seen four out of my fave five.  The other is Skillet, and quite frankly, their sets in these parts are not long enough to get me to go.