Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497813 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1330 on: September 17, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »
I bought it....

Which one? the 6 BR or the 10 DVD?

Apparently, all the regular live shows are their original releases, that is, for example, with R30's BR disc, it's the whole show but not all of the extras, but the DVD has all of the extras but not the whole show. There's more to it than that, but as someone who already owns all the DVDs for RIR (2DVD), R30 (the 2CD/2DVD set in fact), S&A Live (3DVD), Time Machine (1DVD), and the recent Clockwork Angels Tour (the deluxe set), I don't feel compelled to re-buy the DVDs.

My only issue is having to get a BR player to play all of these with. Ah well. I'd rather buy the box set first and worry about playing them later on.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1331 on: September 17, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »
Blu-ray players aren't free, but they're getting really dirt cheap these days.  I'm sure you could find a basic one for like $50, and "basic" in the case of a Blu-ray player includes hi-def audio and video outputs and a bunch of stuff that DVD players never even had.  The player will cost you less than the discs.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1332 on: September 17, 2014, 02:17:59 PM »
Blu-ray players aren't free, but they're getting really dirt cheap these days.  I'm sure you could find a basic one for like $50, and "basic" in the case of a Blu-ray player includes hi-def audio and video outputs and a bunch of stuff that DVD players never even had.  The player will cost you less than the discs.

That's the ironic part. And I've seen plenty of Under-$100 BR players at Wal Mart and the like in the last year or two and have thought about getting them, I still need to get an HDTV, as well. Unfortunately, both purchases might not happen for me until next year, unless I happen to get some very nice gifts for Christmas!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1333 on: September 17, 2014, 02:35:22 PM »
I bought the BluRay. As I already have Rush in Rio, R30, S&A, on DVD. Having R30's full show will be nice, but I mainly bought the boxset for the full 2112, and the other goodies.

By the way,  I use my Ps3 as my BluRay player, which I mainly bought it for. The games, and being able to play scratched dvds my dvd wouldn't play, are extras.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1334 on: September 20, 2014, 10:55:18 AM »
https://www.rush.com/r40-40th-anniversary-collectors-box-set-available-in-dvd-blu-ray/

To the delight of fans, the bonus disc will include all 8 songs from the Laura Secord Secondary School show in 1974 which features original drummer John Rutsey. That recording includes 2 Rush originals “I’ve Been Runnin;” and “The Loser”, as well as their cover of Larry William’s “Bad Boy”, made famous by The Beatles.

Laura Secord Secondary School 1974
1) Need Some Love
2) Before and After
3) Best I Can
4) I’ve Been Runnin’
5) Bad Boy
6) The Loser
7) Working Man
8) In the Mood (partial)

Wow! This is the first time it's been confirmed that "Before And After" was ever played live! IIRC, this leaves "Take A Friend" as the only track off the debut never performed live (as far as we know).

EDIT - Now there's a video ad for the set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9wZ6iHFH3k

- Marc.

They're killing me. I have like 85 percent of this release already. At least the art book will be cool.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1335 on: October 25, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »
Amazing coincidence! An actual red Barchetta found in a barn after "50 odd years"!  :omg:
https://www.sfgate.com/cars/article/MILLION-DOLLAR-BARN-FIND-25-Ferrari-166MM-2575707.php
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1336 on: October 25, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
Amazing coincidence! An actual red Barchetta found in a barn after "50 odd years"!  :omg:
https://www.sfgate.com/cars/article/MILLION-DOLLAR-BARN-FIND-25-Ferrari-166MM-2575707.php

That guy's nephew is one lucky SOB

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1337 on: October 30, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
And a clip is out of the performance at Laura Secord Secondary School

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYvJ3XmrHF4

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #1338 on: October 30, 2014, 11:45:53 PM »
Rocks.

It would be interesting to see an instrumental medley of early rare/unreleased Rush material on the upcoming tour.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1339 on: October 31, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »
Rocks.

It would be interesting to see an instrumental medley of early rare/unreleased Rush material on the upcoming tour.

There really isn't enough unreleased Rush material (read: basically none) to do any such thing. They typically work a song into shape and release it, or cut it and forget about it forever.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1340 on: October 31, 2014, 12:28:44 PM »
Is it still necessary still have a poll at the top of this thread?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1341 on: October 31, 2014, 12:29:57 PM »
I suppose not, but is it hurting anything?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1342 on: October 31, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »
I suppose not, but is it hurting anything?
No of course not. :lol

No offence to the OP.

Just me being a grumpy old man!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1343 on: October 31, 2014, 01:51:59 PM »
Yay, my bluray of R40 has shipped today.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1344 on: October 31, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »
Rocks.

There really isn't enough unreleased Rush material (read: basically none) to do any such thing. They typically work a song into shape and release it, or cut it and forget about it forever.
To be fair, he did say "rare" to. Garden Road is a really cool song, would be fun to hear it as part of a medley.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: November 12, 2014, 03:04:42 AM »
"Rush undecided on 2015 tour, Geddy itching to record a new album".

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/geddy-lee-rush-undecided-on-2015-tour-20141111
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1346 on: November 12, 2014, 07:13:21 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I'd rather them make a new album than go on another tour.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: November 12, 2014, 07:13:58 AM »
Saw that yesterday.  I find it funny how he says that, plus he knows "Alex is ready to write" as well, but it's not Neil that is the holdup.

:wtf:  :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1348 on: November 12, 2014, 07:15:32 AM »
I thought that too. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1349 on: November 13, 2014, 03:34:23 AM »
I find Geddy's statement weird, because both he and Alex seem to be willing to tour, and according to Rush is a Band blog Neil's drum tech recently said it's time to design a new kit for him.

Anyway, https://rushpetition.com/ is open and you can vote for unplayed songs you'd like to hear next year. I picked Emotion Detector, Available Light, Everyday Glory, Totem and Bravest Face.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1350 on: November 13, 2014, 05:32:15 AM »
Anyway, https://rushpetition.com/ is open and you can vote for unplayed songs you'd like to hear next year. I picked Emotion Detector, Available Light, Everyday Glory, Totem and Bravest Face.

Good choices! I will pick: Emotion Detector, Cut to the Chase, Carve Away the Stone, Nocturne and We Hold On.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1351 on: November 13, 2014, 06:09:07 AM »
That's funny that The Fountain of Lamneth is included, when it was played on the Caress of Steel tour a few times.  I know the Rush set list website says it wasn't, but the Contents Under Pressure book says it was, and considering that was done with major input by the band, I am more willing to trust them than random fans who put that site together and claim they don't remember it being played.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #1352 on: November 13, 2014, 07:13:58 AM »
FYI guys, the Best Buy version comes with an exclusive bonus DVD (I bought the Blu-ray set) that has three more songs from the Test For Echo concert, interview and some more stuff. Does anyone know if other retailers have their own exclusives?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: November 13, 2014, 07:16:32 AM »
Best Buy does.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1354 on: November 13, 2014, 07:20:42 AM »
FYI guys, the Best Buy version comes with an exclusive bonus DVD (I bought the Blu-ray set) that has three more songs from the Test For Echo concert, interview and some more stuff. Does anyone know if other retailers have their own exclusives?

umm..
Best Buy does.

Good answer! :lol

Anyway on the poll I voted:
Available Light
Red Tide
Losing It
Cut To The Chase
How It Is
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:30:02 AM by TAC »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: November 13, 2014, 07:48:09 AM »
 :lol

I can't be bothered reading everybody's posts! :lol

I'm at work dammit! :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1356 on: November 13, 2014, 07:53:55 AM »

I can't be bothered reading everybody's posts! :lol

I'm at work dammit! :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: November 13, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
Voted:

Available Light
Heresy
Alien Shore
Everyday Glory
Freeze

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1358 on: November 13, 2014, 08:17:23 AM »
Everyday Glory
Freeze
Great choices.

Heresy
One of my least favorite Rush tunes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: November 13, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »
The Big Wheel
Vapor Trail
Available Light
Alien Shore
Totem

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1360 on: November 13, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
That's funny that The Fountain of Lamneth is included, when it was played on the Caress of Steel tour a few times.  I know the Rush set list website says it wasn't, but the Contents Under Pressure book says it was, and considering that was done with major input by the band, I am more willing to trust them than random fans who put that site together and claim they don't remember it being played.
Well, it's not like they'd play it even if it was voted #1! :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1361 on: November 13, 2014, 10:10:20 AM »
UGH... I am kind of mad about this but I'm glad I didn't pre-order the set since Best Buy is exclusives that come from the part of the box set that is exclusive to the set itself!!! Why bother cutting out those 3 Molson '97 tracks if they're the first time being released?!

Really, though, they just need to make all these NEW extras (Laura Secord, Molson '97, other shows and songs) available on a separate release.

*Sigh* Hopefully I can get my hands on the Best Buy exclusive BR set before they sell out.

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1362 on: November 13, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »

I don't think there's been any conclusive proof that it was...even from the band.   I recently read an interview with Alex Lifeson addressing this exact issue, and his answer was vague.   Essentially, he said "Maybe...we might have...but it was just too long ago...I don't remember..."    I think the fansite simply doesn't find that to be conclusive enough to say absolutely that *it was played*...     Most people conclude that since there was one or two headlining shows, and the band has a reputation for playing side-longs when they were new, it fits the pattern that they most likely would have...but that's still not conclusive proof.   There are no existing, verified setlists from those extremely rare headlining gigs from the CoS tour...only opening sets. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1363 on: November 13, 2014, 11:11:33 PM »
Even if it was played (and at this point that seems insanely unlikely), it was only a couple times at most. Might as well throw it in the poll.

By the way, I have a very good feeling that if they do a tour next year, they'll do Jacob's Ladder. They've been good about bringing back old songs, especially ones that people have been eager to hear. The last tour was filled with gems. Jacob's Ladder is really the last big one that people have been pining for and now seems like the right time for it. It'll also be the 35th anniversary of Permanent Waves, would be a great way to celebrate.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1364 on: November 13, 2014, 11:42:33 PM »
Voted like this:
Emotion Detector
Open Secrets
Totem
Vapor Trail
Bravest Face