Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497871 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1295 on: May 15, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
Here's another group-vs-group debate for you all:
Roll The Bones - Counterparts - Test For Echo

VS

Vapor Trails - Snakes & Arrows - Clockwork Angels

As much as I love the strengths of RTB and TFE, as well as the entirety of CP, I'd have to go with the newer albums on this one. Vapor Trails was my first new album when I began my love with Rush, so it got a LOT of spins from me, so much so that my original CD ended up being pretty scuffed and scratched over the last decade!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1296 on: May 15, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »
RTB and TFE have too many songs that I don't like in comparison to the newer three.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1297 on: May 15, 2014, 04:07:19 PM »
RTB and Counterparts were excellent albums -TFE was not. Hands down the worst Rush album ever.

And  I don't like VT & S&A but CA was a huge return to form.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1298 on: May 15, 2014, 09:04:36 PM »
RTB and Counterparts were excellent albums -TFE was not. Hands down the worst Rush album ever.

Couldn't disagree more. CP is a good album, TFE is nearly flawless. I don't much care for Dog Years or Totem, but the other 9 songs on the album all make my "4th era" top 20 easily.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline snowdog

« Reply #1299 on: May 16, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »

I think RTB is hands down the worst Rush album.  I like Dreamline, Bravado, Ghost of Chance, and The Big Wheel.  Where's My Thing? is ok.  The rest of that disc is hard to listen to for me.  Counterparts is my favorite of the three.  T4E overall was great.  Not a huge fan of Dog Years, Virtuality, or Carve Away the Stone but the rest are really good.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1300 on: May 16, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »
Clockwork Angels is amazing, but Vapor Trails isn't a great album and S&A has some filler. Counterparts and RTB are among my favorite albums and I also like a lot of the stuff on T4E, so those three win.

BTW, I bought Caress of Steel recently - does my eyesight simply suck or is the text in the booklet incredibly small?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1301 on: May 16, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »
BTW, I bought Caress of Steel recently - does my eyesight simply suck or is the text in the booklet incredibly small?

Your eyesight is fine. IIRC, the booklet is just a straight transfer of the gatefold vinyl cover, so what was normal-sized font in a vinyl-sized cover became super-tiny in a CD booklet.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1302 on: May 24, 2014, 12:06:13 PM »
Here's another group-vs-group debate for you all:
Roll The Bones - Counterparts - Test For Echo

VS

Vapor Trails - Snakes & Arrows - Clockwork Angels

As much as I love the strengths of RTB and TFE, as well as the entirety of CP, I'd have to go with the newer albums on this one. Vapor Trails was my first new album when I began my love with Rush, so it got a LOT of spins from me, so much so that my original CD ended up being pretty scuffed and scratched over the last decade!

-Marc.

I know I've said this before, but I'd put those most recent three against ANY other three in the cannon. Roll The Bones, Counterparts and Test For Echo are nothing to sneeze at either.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1303 on: June 01, 2014, 02:59:28 PM »
Hard to believe Feedback will be 10 at the end of the month.  Good album. Wish it were longer.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: June 01, 2014, 06:25:35 PM »
Hard to believe Feedback will be 10 at the end of the month.  Good album. Wish it were longer.

I've tried to get into Feedback but it does absolutely nothing for me.  Maybe its because I dont like the originals at all to begin with.  Only Rush album I wont bother listening to anymore.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1305 on: June 01, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »

I've tried to get into Feedback but it does absolutely nothing for me.  Maybe its because I dont like the originals at all to begin with.  Only Rush album I wont bother listening to anymore.

I got into rush around the time Feedback came out and my step-dad would not stop ranting and raving about this thing. Since its the music that he grew up with, I can appreciate that, But I seriously have listened to it maybe once the whole way through.

Its just does nothing for me.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1306 on: June 01, 2014, 06:57:16 PM »
I like the originals of the songs covered on Feedback, but I never have any desire to listen to the Rush versions.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1307 on: June 05, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
Absolutely LOVE Ghost of a chance   :hefdaddy

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1308 on: June 13, 2014, 06:49:26 PM »
I listen to Feedback once or twice a year. Unfortunately, they never played my faves from that album on the tour except for Heart Full Of Soul.

I REALLY wanted to hear them do For What It's Worth.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1309 on: June 29, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »
I listen to Feedback once or twice a year. Unfortunately, they never played my faves from that album on the tour except for Heart Full Of Soul.

I REALLY wanted to hear them do For What It's Worth.

Listening to this today.

Also, I know how many, including Alex himself, loves the solo to Limelight, but I think the solo he played on this night is SOOOOO much better. I put this in the CD player last night and forgot how enjoyable this was.

It's too bad it was likely never played again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxuu_19DwNE

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1310 on: July 29, 2014, 06:22:09 PM »
Happy Birthday Nick!   

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1311 on: August 03, 2014, 10:25:54 PM »
Listening to Clockwork Angels for the first time in a while.

This album is a pretty cool guy.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: August 27, 2014, 06:12:09 AM »
Happy birthday, Alex! 61 years today :tup

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1313 on: August 31, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »
I've been listening to Vapor Trails(the original) in the car all week.  I only planned on keeping it there for the day, but I still can't take it out.

I know there's virtually no chance of hearing anything from it live again, but I'm still pulling things (musically and lyrically) out of it that I hadn't heard before.

I know it's a sonic disaster, but I think I've reached the point where I don't even care.  The passion and rawness on this record is pretty amazing for a band that far into their career. NOTHING was taken for granted on this album and they just went for it. It's a shame they never aired more of it out live.

My plan was to put the remix in after, but I may not do that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1314 on: August 31, 2014, 01:29:37 PM »
I would kill to hear Vapor Trail live.  That song is fantastic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1315 on: August 31, 2014, 07:57:17 PM »
And Nocturne.  And Freeze!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1316 on: August 31, 2014, 10:37:10 PM »
And Nocturne.  And Freeze!

Especially Freeze.   Just a KILLER tune.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1317 on: September 09, 2014, 07:52:30 PM »
R40 6-DISC BLU-RAY BOX SET COMING IN NOVEMBER

SpinCDs.com has posted a new item, the R40 (6Blu-ray Box Set), containing blu-ray editions of Rush's five most recent live videos (Rush in Rio, R30, Snakes & Arrows Live, Time Machine, Clockwork Angels Tour) plus an R40 bonus disc containing oft-requested items from the vault, coming in November.  The box will also include a 56 page hardback book.

It's worth mentioning that this will contain the first release of Rush in Rio on blu-ray, and in addition this edition of the R30 blu-ray does include the bonus features, which were left off the original R30 blu-ray edition.

The bonus disc is purported to include the complete Laura Secord Secondary School 1974 footage of which only three tracks have been previously available, Lock And Key 88 (outtake previously only available on select versions of the A Show of Hands laserdisk), the Passaic NJ Capitol Theatre show from 1976 (previously seen in Beyond The Lighted Stage), and Rush at the Molson Amphitheatre in 1997 (the previously shelved Different Stages video[?]), as well as the I Still Love You Man video from the Time Machine Tour and footage of the the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Induction in 2013.

From the product description:
2014 marks the 40th anniversary of the release of Rush's eponymous debut album in 1974. This superb collector's box set brings together live performances by Rush from each decade of their career. It includes "Rush In Rio", "R30", "Snakes & Arrows Live", "Time Machine 2011: Live In Cleveland" and "Clockwork Angels Tour" plus a bonus disc of previously unseen live material stretching from 1974 to 2013. Rush are renowned for the energy and excitement of their live concerts and this set brings together some of their finest performances. The 6 Blu-ray discs are contained in a stunning 56 page hardback book measuring 305mm x 225mm with the 6 discs contained in 5 additional rigid insert pages. The 56 pages of the book are filled with memorabilia and photographs documenting 40 years of Rush live in concert. This is the ultimate collection of Rush live performances, beautifully presented.
And here are the bonus disc details:

Disc Six - R40 Bonus Disc

Laura Secord Secondary School 1974
Tracklisting TBC

Capitol Theatre 1976
1) Bastille Day
2) Anthem
3) Lakeside Park
4) 2112
5) Fly By Night/In The Mood

Lock and Key 1988

Molson Amphitheatre 1997
1) Limelight
2) Half the World
3) Limbo
4) Virtuality
5) Nobody's Hero
6) Test for Echo
7) Leave That Thing Alone/Drum Solo
8) 2112 (all seven parts)

I Still Love You Man 2011

Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2013

The UK release date is given as Monday, November 17th so the North American release will likely by the following Tuesday, November 18th. Thanks to Ed at RushIsABand for the heads up.

Posted by Power Windows on Tuesday, September 09, 2014

*catches breath*

Well, it looks like I am finally going to have to buy a Blu-Ray player...and an HD TV...and a kick-ass surround sound system. Ugh, my wallet is crying.

EDIT - Just realized that we're getting the complete Capitol Theatre show, as well as FINALLY getting "Lock And Key" from the ASOH LD. The 97 Molson show looks interesting, and we finally get video of the complete "2112" (in addition to getting "2112" from the '76 show as well!).

The '74 show should be interesting, and hopefully it's the full video! Cannot wait to see which tracks they've got on it.

The only thing left for Rush to give us is a complete headlining show from the "Down The Tubes" tour!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:01:29 PM by The Letter M »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1318 on: September 09, 2014, 10:11:31 PM »
Well damn. Guess I know what's on my birthday list!  I was at that Amphitheater show. Best Rush show I've ever been to, IMO.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline snowdog

« Reply #1319 on: September 09, 2014, 10:12:31 PM »
I sure hope they release that bonus disc separately.  I don't want to buy all of those other ones again just for that.  Granted I don't have them all on BluRay but still not worth paying for it all again when I only want the bonus material.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1320 on: September 10, 2014, 08:45:05 AM »
That's an awesome package, but I've already got Rush in Rio and CA Tour on DVD (I've also watched the S&A and Time Machine DVDs) and I don't have a Bluray player. :-\

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1321 on: September 10, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »
Sweet!  It'll be awesome to get live video renditions of all of 2112, Bastille Day, Anthem and even some of those Test for Echo tunes.  :coolio

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: September 10, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »

*catches breath*

Well, it looks like I am finally going to have to buy a Blu-Ray player...and an HD TV...and a kick-ass surround sound system. Ugh, my wallet is crying.

Crutchfield is your friend and you may find that an excellent system isn't as bad as you imagine. For example
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1323 on: September 11, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
I'm just stopping by to say that after listening to Grace Under Pressure for about month on regular basis it may be my favorite by Rush.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1324 on: September 11, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »
I'm just stopping by to say that after listening to Grace Under Pressure for about month on regular basis it may be my favorite by Rush.

That's my favorite of theirs too! :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1325 on: September 12, 2014, 01:12:34 AM »

That's my favorite of theirs too! :tup

Red Sector A was the song that got me hooked on Rush :tup :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1326 on: September 12, 2014, 06:14:01 AM »
I sure hope they release that bonus disc separately.  I don't want to buy all of those other ones again just for that.  Granted I don't have them all on BluRay but still not worth paying for it all again when I only want the bonus material.

Kinda in the same boat... I've only got CA on Blu-Ray.  Still, always willing to separate money from my wallet for the holy triumvirate. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: September 12, 2014, 06:32:15 AM »
I have none of those previous releases so this is a perfect product for me! Muuuuaaaahahahahahahaha!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1328 on: September 17, 2014, 12:16:21 AM »
https://www.rush.com/r40-40th-anniversary-collectors-box-set-available-in-dvd-blu-ray/

To the delight of fans, the bonus disc will include all 8 songs from the Laura Secord Secondary School show in 1974 which features original drummer John Rutsey. That recording includes 2 Rush originals “I’ve Been Runnin;” and “The Loser”, as well as their cover of Larry William’s “Bad Boy”, made famous by The Beatles.

Laura Secord Secondary School 1974
1) Need Some Love
2) Before and After
3) Best I Can
4) I’ve Been Runnin’
5) Bad Boy
6) The Loser
7) Working Man
8) In the Mood (partial)

Wow! This is the first time it's been confirmed that "Before And After" was ever played live! IIRC, this leaves "Take A Friend" as the only track off the debut never performed live (as far as we know).

EDIT - Now there's a video ad for the set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9wZ6iHFH3k

- Marc.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:58:46 AM by The Letter M »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1329 on: September 17, 2014, 12:58:22 PM »
I bought it....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD