Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497455 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1225 on: March 02, 2014, 08:19:48 AM »
One thing that *really* irked me about when Rush was on Colbert is how much he played on the "long songs" things when making jokes. Rush has what, 2 songs over like 12 minutes long? And a handful more in the 8-12 minutes range. And the last time they did a side long epic? Over 35 years ago. Rush is the shining example of prog being able to contain itself into manageable pieces. While still being amazing, at least.

This irked me quite a bit as well. It was as if Rush was the only band that ever made long songs. Hello, symphonies and sonatas, operas and all the other long pieces.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1226 on: March 02, 2014, 08:22:38 AM »
Eh, that joke was probably written by one of his writers, and it was a funny joke after all..."Have you ever written a song so long that by the time it was finished, you had influenced yourselves?" :lol :lol 

In other words, relax, people.  It was just a joke, and jokes can sometimes be based off of a distortion of the truth.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1227 on: March 02, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
Eh, that joke was probably written by one of his writers, and it was a funny joke after all..."Have you ever written a song so long that by the time it was finished, you had influenced yourselves?" :lol :lol 

In other words, relax, people.  It was just a joke, and jokes can sometimes be based off of a distortion of the truth.

Yes, it was funny, but it gave a false impression of the band. And Colbert could have easily been just as funny with other jokes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1228 on: March 02, 2014, 08:32:11 AM »
See, this is why Rush fans often get knocked for being too serious and overly defensive about the band.  Who cares if it gave a false impression about the band?  It was a freaking joke.  Jeez.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1229 on: March 02, 2014, 08:35:42 AM »
I'm with Kev.  I never laughed so hard.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1230 on: March 02, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »
The band all laughed pretty good naturedly at that line.  I thought it was hilarious.  :biggrin:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1231 on: March 02, 2014, 01:03:15 PM »

I thought it was pretty funny myself.

I'm sure a few people know about this already, but...

https://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/media-260/compact-discs/rush-rediscovered-lp-box-set.html

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 7.  The band history information and clippings from that period of most interest to me. I was hoping for more, but I guess they didn't want to make it TOO expensive.

What would be REALLY cool as if they reissued the first single on Record Store Day this year.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1232 on: March 02, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »

Yes, it was funny, but it gave a false impression of the band. And Colbert could have easily been just as funny with other jokes.

From memory, the joke was something along the lines of "you're known for writing long songs.  Have you ever written a song so long that you find yourselves being influenced by yourselves at the beginning of the song?"  There's nothing misleading about that -- it's one hundred percent true.  Rush IS known for writing long songs.  And that's just a single joke out of an entire episode, about half of which was devoted to talking about how awesome Rush was, and how awesome it was that they were appearing on American TV.

No need to be upset.  Rush was on Colbert and it was glorious.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1233 on: March 02, 2014, 01:18:17 PM »

https://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/media-260/compact-discs/rush-rediscovered-lp-box-set.html

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 7.  The band history information and clippings from that period of most interest to me. I was hoping for more, but I guess they didn't want to make it TOO expensive.

What would be REALLY cool as if they reissued the first single on Record Store Day this year.

The big deal for me...would have been the original mixes...which I have still never heard.   I would have paid FAR more for that.   Even if it were just a two LP set with the original and Broon's remix packaged together.  Or how about including a CD single of the first single which has still never seen a CD release?

I think the price is right for what you get...but I would have EASILY paid $50 to have a couple more gems.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1234 on: March 02, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
More on the Colbert thing, remember that, to many people, any song over 5 minutes is considered a long song (swear to God!), so Rush being known for writing long songs IS true.  Just because a bunch of prog bands have many more long songs than Rush doesn't mean that it's not true about Rush.  But, once again, it was a joke!! :coolio

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1235 on: March 02, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »
More on the Colbert thing, remember that, to many people, any song over 5 minutes is considered a long song (swear to God!), so Rush being known for writing long songs IS true.  Just because a bunch of prog bands have many more long songs than Rush doesn't mean that it's not true about Rush.  But, once again, it was a joke!! :coolio

No, it was a bunch of jokes. :p

I'm pre-ordered. Looked like a neat little set.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TL

« Reply #1236 on: March 03, 2014, 05:35:03 PM »
I wonder if they'll release a run of vinyl reissues separate from the box set.
I'm almost definitely going to buy the set instead of waiting to see if they do though.

Offline TL

« Reply #1237 on: March 05, 2014, 05:50:25 PM »
So I went to see if Amazon had it;

This box set is #1 in music on Canadian Amazon right now.
Like, the top selling music thing, for the entire site right now.

That's pretty cool.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1238 on: March 05, 2014, 08:01:04 PM »
I don't usually watch American Idol, but was surfing the channels tonight, and apparently one of the contestants sang Working Man!  How about that for a change in mainstream attitudes towards Rush!  Combined with the Superb Owl commercial, things seem to definitely be changing.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #1239 on: March 05, 2014, 10:20:52 PM »
Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftmsVuzCA90

The guy actually sounds fantastic.  His voice might even suit the song better than Geddy's original recording.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1240 on: March 05, 2014, 11:05:09 PM »
This guy has some sort of a Jack Black-vibe to me.  Not a bad thing.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1241 on: March 06, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »
more like a 70s hair vibe, and not in a good way  ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1242 on: March 07, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »
So I went to see if Amazon had it;

This box set is #1 in music on Canadian Amazon right now.
Like, the top selling music thing, for the entire site right now.

That's pretty cool.

That's pretty insane, but I guess it's possible given a snapshot of a moment in time.

I still have this fear that Ray Danniels already has the more expensive one with extra goodies in the pipeline for release in time for Christmas.....

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #1243 on: March 20, 2014, 03:32:47 PM »
Band's potentially planning on a 41st anniversary tour starting next year.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rush-plotting-41st-anniversary-tour-for-2015-20140320

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1244 on: March 20, 2014, 03:45:57 PM »
40th Anniversary of the first album with Neil in the band....close enough.  ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1245 on: March 20, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rush-plotting-41st-anniversary-tour-for-2015-20140320

Only Rush would celebrate a 41st Anniversary with a tour. :rollin

I'm game! I saw them on the CA Tour last year and it was AMAZING. And Alex's wanting to do RARER material makes me happy. Hopefully they FINALLY bring out "Jacob's Ladder". You know what would absolutely be a shock, though? ANYTHING from Caress Of Steel, especially "The Necromancer" (in whole!). Although if they did parts (or all) of "The Fountain Of Lamneth", I think the Rush fandom could die happy.

Either way, whatever they decide to play, be it rarer tunes from the 70's, 80's or 90's, it'll be amazing. Heck, break out half the songs from Vapor Trails they haven't played yet! Now that it's been remastered and remixed and re-released, the album deserves some live love! Play "Vapor Trail" or "Freeze" (with the rest of the 'Fear' songs as well!) or "Nocturne"!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1246 on: March 20, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »
I just want them to play Emotion Detector, the one song from my favorite album of theirs (Power Windows) that they haven't played. In fact, during the past like 2 tours, they've played EVERY single song off that album EXCEPT Emotion Detector, which wasn't played on Power Windows' promotional tour either.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1247 on: March 20, 2014, 04:01:48 PM »

Only Rush would celebrate a 41st Anniversary with a tour. :rollin

I'm game! I saw them on the CA Tour last year and it was AMAZING. And Alex's wanting to do RARER material makes me happy. Hopefully they FINALLY bring out "Jacob's Ladder". You know what would absolutely be a shock, though? ANYTHING from Caress Of Steel, especially "The Necromancer" (in whole!). Although if they did parts (or all) of "The Fountain Of Lamneth", I think the Rush fandom could die happy.

Either way, whatever they decide to play, be it rarer tunes from the 70's, 80's or 90's, it'll be amazing. Heck, break out half the songs from Vapor Trails they haven't played yet! Now that it's been remastered and remixed and re-released, the album deserves some live love! Play "Vapor Trail" or "Freeze" (with the rest of the 'Fear' songs as well!) or "Nocturne"!

-Marc.

Not saying Alex isn't being truthful....I'm sure he means every word of it....but he says this before every tour.     I honestly believe he would love to do more rare material, because he is always saying he wants to dig into the vaults.   (wasn't he just quoted before one of the recent tours that he had been wanting to pull out Jacob's Ladder???)    And I'm not even saying it won't happen...I'm just not getting my hopes up.   

I'm thinking that it will just be a recycling of things they haven't played in awhile.   It's hard to believe, but I don't think they've played The Trees in over a decade.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1248 on: March 20, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »
I just want them to play Emotion Detector, the one song from my favorite album of theirs (Power Windows) that they haven't played. In fact, during the past like 2 tours, they've played EVERY single song off that album EXCEPT Emotion Detector, which wasn't played on Power Windows' promotional tour either.

My memory could be faulty, but I seem to recall an interview not long after that tour where they were reflecting on Power Windows, and they were recognizing it as a very strong album, but the consensus was that ED was the one track that they felt didn't turn out as strong as the rest of the pack.

I like it to, and when the album was new, it was absolutely one of my favorites.  (I think that's why I remember the interview so well...because it was so disappointing to read at the time.)   But to be honest, the song hasn't aged very well.   Today it is probably my least favorite from the album. 

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #1249 on: March 20, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »
I honestly believe he would love to do more rare material, because he is always saying he wants to dig into the vaults.   (wasn't he just quoted before one of the recent tours that he had been wanting to pull out Jacob's Ladder???)    And I'm not even saying it won't happen...I'm just not getting my hopes up.   

If I remember correctly, they actually did try out Jacob's Ladder for the Time Machine Tour -- they dusted it off and rehearsed it, but I think Lerxst said in an interview it wasn't sounding right so they shelved it.  So I wouldn't count on Jacob's Ladder for this tour, but other "rare" songs aren't out of the question.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1250 on: March 20, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »
Twilight Zone...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1251 on: March 20, 2014, 05:52:23 PM »
Man, it doesn't matter what "rare" songs are going to be played, it's always going to be good.  It doesn't matter what kind of tour theme these guys are going to do, it's going to be awesome.  This may be my 1st and only chance to see these guys if they hit the SoCal area.

Hmmmm, now then.  What songs will they bring out?  I agree that some of the songs from Vapor Trails could be played since they released the remastered and remixed version of it.  Hopefully, Freeze and Out of the Cradle are some of the considerations amongst other songs from the vast catalog.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1252 on: March 20, 2014, 06:08:05 PM »
And if they wanted to, they could always break out one or two or all three of the tracks from S&A they haven't played yet - "Good News First", "Bravest Face" and "We Hold On".

Also, the unplayed tracks from Counterparts would be welcomed as well! "Cut To The Chase", "Alien Shore" and "Everyday Glory" would be neat. And bring back "Nobody's Hero" for an acoustic set, even if it means hearing "Resist" played the same way again. Or heck, play "The Trees" as an acoustic song with "Nobody's Hero". Then come back in with the full band with "Closer To The Heart".

And any more 80's songs would be nice, especially songs like "Afterimage" or "Kid Gloves", which got swapped on the two halves of the GUP tour while the other 6 GUP songs got full-tour performances.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1253 on: March 20, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »
Double Agent would be wonderful to hear.  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1254 on: March 20, 2014, 07:33:52 PM »
Double Agent would be wonderful to hear.  :metal

And it was wonderful to hear 3 times on the Counterparts tour. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1255 on: March 20, 2014, 08:07:09 PM »

My memory could be faulty, but I seem to recall an interview not long after that tour where they were reflecting on Power Windows, and they were recognizing it as a very strong album, but the consensus was that ED was the one track that they felt didn't turn out as strong as the rest of the pack.

I like it to, and when the album was new, it was absolutely one of my favorites.  (I think that's why I remember the interview so well...because it was so disappointing to read at the time.)   But to be honest, the song hasn't aged very well.   Today it is probably my least favorite from the album.

I agree with it being the weakest.  But weakest on Power Windows isn't too shabby.  I can hear the guitar solo in my head as I type this.  It's a great one.  That whole album is so majestic.  (I know that sounds corny, but that's the best way I can put it.)

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1256 on: March 20, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »
I'm thinking that it will just be a recycling of things they haven't played in awhile.   It's hard to believe, but I don't think they've played The Trees in over a decade.

They played "The Trees" throughout the second US leg of the "Snakes and Arrows" tour in 2008.  I saw it live in Oklahoma City.   ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1257 on: March 20, 2014, 11:12:23 PM »
I guess we have a year of speculation to look forward to, of fans saying, "Maybe they will play this song," about a song Geddy Lee has no chance of singing well live anymore, only for the set list to surface and not see any of those songs anywhere near it. :lol :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1258 on: March 21, 2014, 01:02:46 AM »

They played "The Trees" throughout the second US leg of the "Snakes and Arrows" tour in 2008.  I saw it live in Oklahoma City.   ;)

My bad.  I guess it just seems like forever.

I seem to remember some website that actually keeps track of how long it's been since they've played every song in their catalog?  Where's that when you need it?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1259 on: March 21, 2014, 02:04:37 AM »
Setlist.fm is pretty much the closest thing for me.  The site tracks the years that the songs have been played.