Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497541 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1190 on: February 05, 2014, 10:20:21 PM »
Oh yeah, I should mention you have to hit advanced search first. I also find it neat you can search by board or user.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1191 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
Through some bizarre twist of fate, this thread still doesn't show up in the search. :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1192 on: February 05, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »
Odd, tried it and showed up for me. Maybe you've been cursed? Yes, must be a curse.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: 'Cuz they never got off the island, I guess? I dunno, I'm stretching here.
« Reply #1193 on: February 05, 2014, 10:46:21 PM »
:3hourtour:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Rush
« Reply #1194 on: February 05, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »
Anyway, the point of this is that I've been listening to Roll The Bones quite a bit lately, and I've decided that it's my favorite Rush album.
I really like that album and it's one of my faves as well :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1195 on: February 05, 2014, 11:13:55 PM »
:hifive:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1196 on: February 10, 2014, 04:16:55 PM »
I just love multi-level irony...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LYI--n-tjE

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1197 on: February 10, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »
Ha ha.  Let's see... a song by a Canadian band lamenting life as a working man used as an anthem for a U.S.-based company celebrating the working man and American-made products.  They even kept the line "it seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am".

Nice 60-second edit, though.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1198 on: February 15, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »
Ha ha.  Let's see... a song by a Canadian band lamenting life as a working man used as an anthem for a U.S.-based company celebrating the working man and American-made products.  They even kept the line "it seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am".

That's two of them......

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1199 on: February 15, 2014, 06:44:33 PM »
I just love multi-level irony...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LYI--n-tjE

Came to this thread because of this commercial.  Ugh!  I can't believe Rush let them use that song.  (Or is it the record company that makes those decisions?)

Yeah I immediately noted the multiple ironies in using this song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1200 on: February 15, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »
Remember that the older albums are owned by Mercury records and they were the ones that sold the rights I'd guess.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1201 on: February 15, 2014, 06:56:02 PM »

That's two of them......

What am I missing?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1202 on: February 16, 2014, 06:54:49 PM »

That's two of them......

What am I missing?

Walmart's questionable record with regard to its employees (but you may have been hinting at that when you quoted that line which is pretty ironic on it's own if you discount the employment issue.)

That the band may have realized the irony above and that's why they agreed to it. That Ray Danniels as their manager did it without explicit consent (I'd really like to know the process for how this played out.)

The fact that one of the Neville Brothers just recorded a version that may have been a bit closer to the idea that Walmart may have been after...

Neil wasn't in the band then so he didn't write the lyrics(and that he may not have been involved with the decision making process).

I'm probably much more amused by this whole thing more than I should be.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1203 on: February 16, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »
I guess I don't consider any of that to be ironic.  Just the way things are.  Maybe the first point; Walmart celebrating the working man when the company itself reputedly does not treat its employees well.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1204 on: February 25, 2014, 03:38:09 PM »
I was listening to the 5/21/83 show over the weekend and was reminded just how cool the closing medley was for that tour.

Overture/Temples/Xanadu/La Villa

I had also forgotten the really funked up version of YYZ they played on that tour. They've done some pretty incredible versions of YYZ over the years, but none quite so groovy at the version they played on the Signals Tour.

Very tasty.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: February 25, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
Damn I haven't listened to that in years.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:51 PM »
Man....I love Rush, and have listened to them for 35 years.  That being said, I just watched the Clockwork Blu ray and it was at times very painful to listen to Geddy sing  :'(  Some parts were OK, but some were just dreadful.  Don't mean to be a downer...but being a longtime fan I just felt the need to express it.  I did enjoy most every other aspect of the disc.  Loved the string musicians!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: March 01, 2014, 09:15:03 AM »
A certain album turns 40 today:

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1208 on: March 01, 2014, 09:41:49 AM »
Wow.   And unlike most Rush fans, I absolutely *LOVE* that album. 

I first heard Rush at my 6th grade graduation party in/around April/May 1982.    Someone brought Moving Pictures.  I heard Tom Sawyer, and that was it.    I bought Moving Pictures and showed it to a friend, and he went bananas...so he went to the local store to see if he could find more Rush.    He called me the next day and told me to come over because he had found Rush and Caress of Steel in the cheap bin at the local Kmart and he wanted me to hear them.   

We both **LOVED** them.   I was absolutely hooked.   The S/T is such a fantastic and fun debut album.   I love every single track without hesitation.  What You're Doing is definitely my favorite without question, but then it gets hard to rank them because I love them all so much that it becomes a blur...but I'll try. 

1. What You're Doing

2. Here Again
3. Working Man
4. Before and After
5. Take a Friend
6. Need Some Love
7. Finding My Way

8. In the Mood

1 and 8 will probably never change.  But 2-7 are all practically interchangeable depending on my mood. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1209 on: March 01, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
The dude abides! A fan for 32 years...hoping for 40 more! Happy Anniversary to Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart (also commemorating John Rutsey (RIP) on this very special day)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFa_xzd_ooc

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: March 01, 2014, 12:57:47 PM »
Nice video, and fine words regarding John Rutsey  :tup

I got inspired to put on some Rush, listening to Closer To The Heart now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1211 on: March 01, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »
Perhaps by fate or mere coincidence, Rush is my favorite band and their debut album's release date happens to be my birthday, albeit 10 years after Rush was released. Today, Rush turns 40 (officially with their debut's release) and I turn 30.

To celebrate, I have the debut spinning on my computer at work as, yes, I am working today. At least I had off yesterday and I have off tomorrow!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:43:16 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: March 01, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »
Perhaps by fate or mere coincidence, Rush is my favorite band and their debut album happens to be my birthday, albeit 10 years after Rush was released. Today, Rush turns 40 (officially with their debut's release) and I turn 30.

To celebrate, I have the debut spinning on my computer at work as, yes, I am working today. At least I had off yesterday and I have off tomorrow!

-Marc.

:tup :tup :tup  Rock on and Happy Birthday Bro!

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1213 on: March 01, 2014, 06:25:31 PM »
I was in a used CD store and snagged the Remixed version of "Vapor Trails" today for a mere $6. :2metal:  Reviews claim it really is better sonically than the original version, and this "remix" by the guys is not just a cash grab.  I'm giving it a spin now....   :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1214 on: March 01, 2014, 06:27:18 PM »
I *is* significantly better...though I still think it sounds pretty overdriven and "hot".    It is still a major improvement.   At least it is, in fact, listenable now.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1215 on: March 01, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »
I *is* significantly better...though I still think it sounds pretty overdriven and "hot".    It is still a major improvement.   At least it is, in fact, listenable now.

It is still "hot", but at least it's not a "hot mess". It may still burn, but at least you can see the flames clearly now, and they're not engulfed in a hazy smoke of bad mastering.

There's also a few things that were previously unheard or under-mixed that are now brought to light in the new remix, particularly a "guitar solo" in "Ceiling Unlimited", as well as other guitar parts that got lost in the mastering/mixing of the original.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1216 on: March 01, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
I don't like Rush. Too much musical wankery, not enough soul. I don't care if they can play a million notes a minute if they can't write a decent song. And using a 20 minute song with a million time signature changes can't replace emotion.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1217 on: March 01, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »
I don't like Rush. Too much musical wankery, not enough soul. I don't care if they can play a million notes a minute if they can't write a decent song. And using a 20 minute song with a million time signature changes can't replace emotion.

You almost had me....then I saw the Cynic avatar.    Well played, sir..   :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1218 on: March 01, 2014, 09:59:45 PM »
Yeah, Cynic has a lot of 20 minute songs.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1219 on: March 01, 2014, 10:11:36 PM »
One thing that *really* irked me about when Rush was on Colbert is how much he played on the "long songs" things when making jokes. Rush has what, 2 songs over like 12 minutes long? And a handful more in the 8-12 minutes range. And the last time they did a side long epic? Over 35 years ago. Rush is the shining example of prog being able to contain itself into manageable pieces. While still being amazing, at least.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1220 on: March 01, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
One thing that *really* irked me about when Rush was on Colbert is how much he played on the "long songs" things when making jokes. Rush has what, 2 songs over like 12 minutes long? And a handful more in the 8-12 minutes range. And the last time they did a side long epic? Over 35 years ago. Rush is the shining example of prog being able to contain itself into manageable pieces. While still being amazing, at least.

I guess because if there's any progressive rock epic well-known outside of the progressive rock circle, it would be 2112. Most people on this forum could probably think of 20 more bands with discographies frequently containing even more songs of similar length. Rush was one of the few prog rock bands who managed to break through into the mainstream, more or less. When that happens, pop culture will tend to home in on what made them unique in comparison to so many other acts.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: March 02, 2014, 04:24:57 AM »

Think about it Nick.  Besides Rush, what prog band is well knowing in the mainstream?  So while you and I know the truth, most think just what Cobert said.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: March 02, 2014, 05:37:22 AM »
I know this is just a troll post, but it's so funny to read something like this at DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: March 02, 2014, 05:43:40 AM »
Nice avatar change  there ? ....................I was going to try that one myself but never got around to it.  Looks magnifique  ;D

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: March 02, 2014, 06:01:55 AM »
Haha, thanks! :D