Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497543 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1155 on: November 28, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
Great show, aside from Geddy's aging voice, and very enjoyable.  That's all I got to say about that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1156 on: November 28, 2013, 11:03:52 PM »
That first set really explodes when they play "Far Cry" - the only post-RTB song in there. It's a great set, with lots of unexpected gems, but it's crying out for something else with balls, like "One Little Victory" or "Animate".

I still don't think Far Cry is anything more than a pretty good song, so ending the first set with that was a bit anti-climatic for me, but I know many disagree. 

One Little Victory is rocking, but should never return to the live sets. 

As awesome as Animate is, it seemed to lack the power and energy of the original when they played it on the R30 tour, so if they are gonna bring back something from Counterparts, I'd rather see Cold Fire or Double Agent, or maybe finally play Cut to the Chase.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1157 on: November 28, 2013, 11:18:04 PM »
That first set really explodes when they play "Far Cry" - the only post-RTB song in there. It's a great set, with lots of unexpected gems, but it's crying out for something else with balls, like "One Little Victory" or "Animate".

I still don't think Far Cry is anything more than a pretty good song, so ending the first set with that was a bit anti-climatic for me, but I know many disagree. 

One Little Victory is rocking, but should never return to the live sets. 

As awesome as Animate is, it seemed to lack the power and energy of the original when they played it on the R30 tour, so if they are gonna bring back something from Counterparts, I'd rather see Cold Fire or Double Agent, or maybe finally play Cut to the Chase.

:lucien:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1158 on: November 29, 2013, 05:34:34 AM »
They were just examples of slightly heavier songs. Animate really works on R30 for me, but yeah, +1 for Cold Fire, an overlooked classic.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1159 on: November 29, 2013, 06:39:35 AM »
FUCK.

Guy 3 ahead of me in line got the last Garden picture disc this morning. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.

Off to ebay and stupid high prices I go.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1160 on: November 29, 2013, 02:21:57 PM »
RUSH's "Clockwork Angels Tour" concert film will receive a television premiere on VH1 Classic on Sunday, December 1 from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rushs-clockwork-angels-tour-to-receive-television-premiere-on-vh1-classic/#sp3rfWRBsCfiBCcC.99
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1161 on: November 30, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »
You nailed it John. I was absolutely shocked up there in Manchester. Song after song I just couldn't believe that first set, not to mention how thrilled I also was with the amount of CA material and strings in the second set. And then to see as they rotated in even more great material on future nights... I just don't know how anyone can look at this and not at least say it's the best Rush tour (from a setlist perspective) in at least a decade.

I really wished I'd seen it. I definitely would have lost it.  I'd go farther and say this was a easily a top five Rush tour.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1162 on: November 30, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »
-Rotating some of the songs that hadn't been played in decades was a terrible idea.  For one, rotating Manhattan Project with a song that has played a ton over the last 20 years (Dreamline) was a bad idea.  Given the look of the set list, rotating Dreamline with Red Sector A (another song that gets played a lot) would have made far more sense, and Manhattan Project should have been played every night.  I have seen the band on every tour since 1991 and still haven't seen that song.  Same goes for The Body Electric and Middletown Dreams, which inexplicably got rotated as well.  It would have made far more sense to rotate Big Money and Force Ten (two songs that have gotten more than enough love in the set list over the years), and then play both TBE and Middletown Dreams every night.  Fortunately, we got Middletown Dreams, the far better song, at our show, so I was happy there, but I would have taken The Body Electric over seeing another performance of either Force Ten or Big Money (two songs I love, but have seen many times already).
I agree, but it was even worse on the 2nd leg of this tour.  I saw the last two shows of the tour.  The spot that was trading The Body Electric and Middletown Dreams got Limelight BOTH of those nights.  That was disappointing.  It was great to see Manhattan Project one of those nights.  Hadn't seen it since the Presto tour.  But even though I had a great time at these shows, I was really wishing I had at least seen Middletown Dreams one of those nights.  While I've never seen The Body Electric live, I'm not as bummed about that.  But at least the Blu Ray has both of those on there.

I didn't mind that only because (luckily) I'm in a geographic area that allowed me to catch an A and B set.  "A" was definitely my favorite of the two and they did seem to get lazy (tired?) toward the end with Limelight, but the DVD covers all of that.

I've been thinking of making a Power Windows 7/8 live album and I just may do that. I may even revisit a Grace Under Pressure live album to see how much that improves on a good thing.

I was also surprised just how good The Big Money and Force Ten sounded. I'd kind of been burnt out on them a bit live but they really sound great.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1163 on: November 30, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
FUCK.

Guy 3 ahead of me in line got the last Garden picture disc this morning. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.

Off to ebay and stupid high prices I go.

Don't do it.  There's a ton up there (morbid curiosity got the better of me) and they're all going for at least twice the price. Don't play that game.

I'll check back tomorrow and see if I can get one for you (They were very strict about limiting only one of the same title per-person.)

The VH1 Classic preview is just the second set.   The people that are expecting "the hits" will have to tune in at the end.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1164 on: December 01, 2013, 11:56:27 AM »
No worries John, a friend was able to get extras and sold me one at cost, I'm covered! :D
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1165 on: December 02, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »
I wandered into a CD shop today and saw the new DVD. I immediately had to go home and get some cash before someone else grabbed a hold of the thing. So far I'm really enjoying it.  :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1166 on: December 15, 2013, 05:25:30 AM »
I just found this :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1167 on: December 15, 2013, 05:52:52 AM »
Sadly, that is the official video.  Ahh... the 80s.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1168 on: December 15, 2013, 07:10:04 AM »
The video is silly, but it was meant to be.  Rush has always had that silly side to them, and I think that they were willing to try just about anything.  Also, the 80's.

But that's not the official video.  That's the "literal video".  It's a concept I find amusing overall, but this is one of the worst examples of a literal video that I've ever seen.  The voices need to at least be close, and these... are not close.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1169 on: December 15, 2013, 07:49:37 AM »
I recorded it on it's "World Premier" on VHS.  To bad most of the tape never lasted.  I would have loved to take some of what I recorded over the years and transferred them onto DVD.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1170 on: December 15, 2013, 07:55:44 AM »
I'd like to thank MTV for never really playing that video, because I was knee deep in watching MTV in 1987, and had I seen that video then, it is possible I never would have taken Rush seriously. :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: December 15, 2013, 08:01:41 AM »
I'd like to thank MTV for never really playing that video, because I was knee deep in watching MTV in 1987, and had I seen that video then, it is possible I never would have taken Rush seriously. :rollin

Virgin. :lol

Some were "Knee Deep" in other things as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1172 on: December 15, 2013, 08:03:59 AM »
 :lol :lol :tup :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1173 on: December 15, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »
That video always makes me dizzy as shit watching it.

Still love the song though.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1174 on: December 15, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
^^^ Ughhhhh, I agree.

Damn you, 80s.  I feel like I'm going to get nightmares after watching that video.  The song, as always, is good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: December 15, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »
The majority of Rush's videos from the 70's & 80's are pretty cheesy.  This one may be the leader though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: December 15, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
Mystic Rhythms is a great video.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1177 on: December 15, 2013, 07:37:05 PM »

Not to mention the song  :hefdaddy

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1178 on: December 16, 2013, 04:27:28 AM »
I just found this :lol

Rush videos are so terrible at times. :lol This isn't half as bad as Distant Early Warning, though.

Not to mention The Pass.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1179 on: December 24, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
The majority of Rush's videos from the 70's & 80's are pretty cheesy.  This one may be the leader though.

Clearly you've not seen Superconductor which was so bad that it was never aired when it was released (at least in the US).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1180 on: January 16, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »
Anyone know when the anniversary edition of the first album is due out?

Tempus? Feel free to enlighten the flock.....

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Rush
« Reply #1181 on: February 05, 2014, 10:07:06 PM »
Do we have an actual Rush thread? I feel like we must, but the A-Z index lists the old locked one, and several searches have turned up nothing. When the real Rush thread is inevitably found (darn you search function), please just merge it with this one.

Anyway, the point of this is that I've been listening to Roll The Bones quite a bit lately, and I've decided that it's my favorite Rush album.

Offline Lucien

Re: Rush
« Reply #1182 on: February 05, 2014, 10:08:43 PM »
Power Windows is my favorite, due to stunning consistency, and my favorite Rush song is divided between Hemispheres and Emotion Detector.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1183 on: February 05, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »
I've heard a lot of praise for Power Windows, but I've never cared for it that much.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1184 on: February 05, 2014, 10:13:30 PM »
Well, this is technically the main thread I think.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=33827.0

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1185 on: February 05, 2014, 10:15:08 PM »
Aha, thank you! I knew there was one somewhere!

curse you search function

I'll just report this one and ask to have it merged.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1186 on: February 05, 2014, 10:15:26 PM »
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that thread  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1187 on: February 05, 2014, 10:16:42 PM »
Whoa, that was quick.

PARTYTIEM

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1188 on: February 05, 2014, 10:17:59 PM »
FYI, for easier searching, I often find the option "Search only in thread titles" to be VERY useful when looking for a thread that has common words in it that could be found in the bodies of a billion other threads.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1189 on: February 05, 2014, 10:18:42 PM »
...I didn't even know that option existed. :lol

I will make use of it next time.