Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497496 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1085 on: October 17, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »
I was wondering today what album precisely marks Rush's transition from Progressive Rock to (Hard) Rock. What are your opinions?

Rush has ALWAYS been, more than anything else, hard rock.  They were just a hard rock band that had a prog phase for 5+ years.

This is an excellent point.  Couldn't agree more. 

Neil is what continues to give the band a progressive "feel" even after they went back to straightforward, streamlined songs.    Mostly because he refuses to play anything "straight forward".   He's always looking for a way to make things "interesting and fun to play"...so that he's not bored, even if he's played it a thousand times.   

Keeping it interesting for him, keeps it interesting for all of us.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1086 on: October 17, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »
From Fly By Night on I would argue they've always been progressive rock, and always been hard rock. I don't think there has ever been a full transition, both elements have always been there.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1087 on: October 18, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »
If Clockwork Angels isn't progressive I don't know what is
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1088 on: October 18, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »
Conservative?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1089 on: October 18, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »
Conservative?

Conservative Rock, or ConRock for short - everything is in 4/4 meter, with the same 4 chords played in the same progression, all the time.

Oh wait...that's most of radio rock these days...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1090 on: October 18, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
I was wondering today what album precisely marks Rush's transition from Progressive Rock to (Hard) Rock. What are your opinions?

Rush has ALWAYS been, more than anything else, hard rock.  They were just a hard rock band that had a prog phase for 5+ years.

This is the right opinion.  Fly By Night started off as a slightly proggy album, and there was a string of increasingly proggy albums before Moving Pictures, which is also slightly proggy.  I have a hard time calling anything after MP "prog".

Not that it matters a great deal, anyway.  Rush has always made great music, but a lot of it isn't progressive.

Offline TL

« Reply #1091 on: October 18, 2013, 02:49:34 PM »

?

(Surprisingly difficult to find a good, labeled Progressive Conservative logo, and it's not a good enough joke on my part for that kind of effort).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1092 on: October 18, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
Yeah, mine was pretty lame, too, but it was inspired by actual events.

I have a friend, a die-hard Republican (and yet still an okay guy), who finally had to get his first pair of bifocals, and the optometrist asked him if he wanted progressive lenses.  He said he couldn't, but if they had any "conservative" lenses, he would try them on.  The optometrist didn't get it.

"You wanted something suitable for wearing to a tea party?" I asked him.  My friend didn't get it.

Anyway, it occurred to me that "conservative" as the opposite of "progressive" pretty much works for music as well as politics.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1093 on: October 18, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »
From the forthcoming DVD/Blu-ray, The Garden!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/rush-debut-dvd-from-string-heavy-clockwork-angels-tour-premiere-20131017

Ha Ha!
I'm not clicking on that. 

I'll wait the four or five days before release for my copies.

I guess Rolling Stone finally figured out this band will generate massive website hits.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1094 on: October 18, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »

I'll most likely be making the trip for that as well. Would be doubly sweet if work so happens to put me down in that area that Friday, but trips that far south are rare.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1095 on: October 22, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »

I'll most likely be making the trip for that as well. Would be doubly sweet if work so happens to put me down in that area that Friday, but trips that far south are rare.

I'm going to be in that area the Thursday before and plan to listen on the way home.

Is there an area theater that's showing it the night before it's official release?

There's one in the Cherry Hill area, but I'm not heading down there on a weeknight. I was hoping for something a little closer. (especially since I'll have propbably watched the DVD sometime over that weekend anyway).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1096 on: October 22, 2013, 07:46:31 PM »
This is now a double album for me. Rush's vision and Bottrill's vision. (Which we have lovingly dubbed Frankentrails)

Wait... Rush's vision should be the remixed one, right? I've read plenty of articles and interviews where members of the band say that this is now how they wanted the album to sound originally, but the post-recording process was so botched up that it didn't turn out how THEY wanted it to sound to begin with.

I have to say, though, I love the new mix and it definitely breaths NEW life into the album. I really hope on their next tour that they play more VT tunes, especially if they tour without a new album.

-Marc.

Sorry to have missed this before.

Rush signed off on the remix, but they were never involved in the day-to-day details regarding what takes or what bits were used.  Obviously they approved the final product, but it mostly wasn't of their making.

Some people are thrilled that there are guitar solos now, but that wasn't the way it was originally intended.

So I listen to one right after the other for the best of both worlds I guess.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1097 on: October 23, 2013, 03:50:12 AM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/rush-debut-dvd-from-string-heavy-clockwork-angels-tour-premiere-20131017

:hefdaddy 

Exactly

Most of that is awesome, but man Geddy is painful to listen to these days. I love the guy, I love the band, but Geddy's voice and melody choices are the reason I can't stand much of the post 90s Rush.
Even the remix of VT still has too much warbling all over it. VT is my most hate d Rush album, beating even TFE (and that takes some doing). The remix is several times better than my broken original version but still not a great album. There are some songs that work (Earthshine, Ghost Rider, CE) but I'm not persuaded to buy it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1098 on: October 23, 2013, 06:44:48 AM »
Agreed. Geddy's voice (especially live) is the weak link of the band, almost painfully so with a ballad like The Garden. 

Still awesome as a whole in my books though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1099 on: October 23, 2013, 08:05:55 AM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1100 on: October 23, 2013, 11:18:10 AM »

:hefdaddy 

Exactly

Most of that is awesome, but man Geddy is painful to listen to these days. I love the guy, I love the band, but Geddy's voice and melody choices are the reason I can't stand much of the post 90s Rush.
Even the remix of VT still has too much warbling all over it. VT is my most hate d Rush album, beating even TFE (and that takes some doing). The remix is several times better than my broken original version but still not a great album. There are some songs that work (Earthshine, Ghost Rider, CE) but I'm not persuaded to buy it.

I just find that funny because I usually really like Geddy's voice, and I really like about half of VT....but Earthshine is one of the songs I feel is "ruined" by Geddy's "warbling"...

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1101 on: October 23, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »
It´s a good thing they ditched the "multiple Geddys" that came up during the choruses on VT, T4E and a bunch of other albums. His vocals on Clockwork Angels are much cleaner than before.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1102 on: October 23, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
Agreed. Geddy's voice (especially live) is the weak link of the band, almost painfully so with a ballad like The Garden. 

When I saw them live, I thought Geddy was going to be much, much worse, based mainly on recent live clips I'd seen, but I was pleasantly surprised. He did a fine job on most of the songs and only struggled on Red Sector A, 2112 and Spirit of Radio.

I wasn't surprised by his quality (or lackthereof) on 2112, but I was a bit disappointed, vocally, by Red Sector A.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1103 on: October 23, 2013, 10:21:10 PM »
I thought, on the whole, Geddy was far stronger on the Clockwork Angels tour than he was on the Time Machine tour. However I would say that the Time Machine tour was the weakest to date, vocally. The day off between every show has definitely helped.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1104 on: October 24, 2013, 09:38:48 AM »
Don't let the title get you excited...but it's an interesting editorial.   Some of which I agree with, and some of which I really don't.

But I've often been fascinated over what it would be like to have Broon come back to the fold.   I mean, Peter Collins left and then came back.  Why can't Terry be another re-visitor?

https://rushvault.com/2013/10/16/why-rush-and-terry-brown-will-reunite-for-another-album/#pd_a_7480680

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1105 on: October 31, 2013, 06:20:03 AM »
Currently a three-way tie between 2112, Xanadu and Natural Science in the survivor. Only four songs left, and about 12 hours for the tie to be broken.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1106 on: October 31, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »
I think I just re-aggravated a two-way tie now with my vote.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #1107 on: October 31, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
Yep :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #1110 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »
So the survivor went to a tiebreaker: 2112 or Natural Science, your choice.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #1111 on: November 01, 2013, 02:31:53 PM »
Currently tied at 14-14...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1112 on: November 01, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
Wow, they're actually showing it here in Albuquerque. I'll go check it out.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1113 on: November 01, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
Already ordered the limited special edition and I may pickup the regular one so I can watch it the weekend before, but I may spend another $12.50 to see it on the "big" screen.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #1114 on: November 04, 2013, 07:52:13 AM »
The final round of this year's survivor is at https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39736.0

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1115 on: November 04, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »
Already ordered the limited special edition and I may pickup the regular one so I can watch it the weekend before, but I may spend another $12.50 to see it on the "big" screen.

Where is this "Limited Special Edition" you speak of? Does it include the DVDs AND the CDs in one package? I'd like to grab something like that, as was the R30 show, rather than buying separate CD and DVD sets like the last two tour releases (for S&A and Time Machine tours).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #1116 on: November 05, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »

Where is this "Limited Special Edition" you speak of? Does it include the DVDs AND the CDs in one package? I'd like to grab something like that, as was the R30 show, rather than buying separate CD and DVD sets like the last two tour releases (for S&A and Time Machine tours).

-Marc.
I think he talks about this one https://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/dvd-and-video/rush-clockwork-angels-tour-limited-edition-deluxe-package.html
I am tempted, but it will cost a small fortune getting it shipped to denmark 60$ for express + import duties and taxes

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1117 on: November 07, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »
adflaldgkjaf

I'm so tempted to burn a Christmas present for this, but it's ridiculously overpriced. If that package included all the audio on vinyl it would be a lot better.

But it's Rush, so I'll probably cave.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #1118 on: November 07, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »
adflaldgkjaf

I'm so tempted to burn a Christmas present for this, but it's ridiculously overpriced. If that package included all the audio on vinyl it would be a lot better.

But it's Rush, so I'll probably cave.

I just caved.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1119 on: November 10, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »

-Marc.
I think he talks about this one https://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/dvd-and-video/rush-clockwork-angels-tour-limited-edition-deluxe-package.html
I am tempted, but it will cost a small fortune getting it shipped to denmark 60$ for express + import duties and taxes

That's the one. What sold me was the exclusive tourbook and litho. 

If not for that, I'd have just walked into the store this Thursday and picked up the CD and DVD.

Who am I kidding? I may just do that anyway and dig in that night. If I like what I see, I'll spring for the big screen on Monday.