Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497698 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1050 on: October 01, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
I've never been a big fan of Vapor Trails. The sound quality really hurt it and it had more than its fair share of mediocre songs. That being said this new mix has me appreciating the album a LOT more. The magic a decent mix makes...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1051 on: October 01, 2013, 05:09:22 PM »
Downloading it into I-Tunes.  I had to go to a hearing today and on my way back to home to change to my work clothes I bought the re mixed album.  It's like listening to it again for the first time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TL

« Reply #1052 on: October 01, 2013, 10:43:36 PM »
In true Amazon Canada fashion, rather than shipping my pre-order to arrive today, it's current status is 'Shipping Soon', which basically means, "We'll probably ship it this week, maybe".

From the stream though, it sounds fantastic. I do think the intro to One Little Victory has better presence on the old version, but elsewhere the new mix breathes a lot of life into the songs. The kick-in near the start of Secret Touch sounds fantastic now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1053 on: October 02, 2013, 11:45:14 AM »
Question: for those who bought the iTunes-only remaster a few months back, how does this new remix compare to that? 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1054 on: October 02, 2013, 06:03:48 PM »
At first, I didn't hear a lot of different... one of the first verses on vocals (the "light and heat" line especially) still seemed WAAAY overdriven and just really hurt to listen to.

But upon listening to the most of the rest of the album, I have to say it has really is a HUGE improvement.   Earthshine (which had a killer riff, but was ruined by the hot master and some of the terrible vocal harmonies) has been softened WAY up.   And the pre-chorus Slim Whitman yodeling that I hated so much has been mixed so far into the background that you can barely even hear it any more...and at that whisper level, it almost works.   I knew there was a fantastic song hiding in there somewhere.

Even the songs I loved before just sound so much better.  Ghost Rider has the breathing room it was always meant to.   Love the silence between the power chords on Secret Touch.   

But the real winner here is the song that was the best of them all from the beginning.   Freeze used to just be the best song on the album...now it really belongs in the upper echelons of the greatest Rush songs ever.    It may have actually given The Weapon a run for its money as the best song of the Fear suite.    I used to have Freeze 3rd behind Witch Hunt.   Now I think it may even be a tie for first between Freeze and The Weapon.   

Still haven't heard every song (skipped ahead to Freeze) but I'm really excited to give this one several spins.   (still think OLV sounds a bit too hot)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1055 on: October 03, 2013, 09:09:24 AM »
Okay, I am not gonna lie: I have listened to this remix twice now, and while, yes, it sounds better in regards to the loudness and all that, I don't like what they did with a lot of the songs.  It's like they took out too many of the little things that made them cool (like how the music exploded into the chorus of How It Is; they changed it to where there is no balls or anything when it goes into the chorus), and they tweaked some of the vocal melodies to where they almost sound odd and not right.  It sounding better is cool, but many of the changes are not for the better.  That is my early impression.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1056 on: October 04, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
Rush: Clockwork Angels Tour - Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA4hSlSjiec&feature=youtu.be
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1057 on: October 04, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »
Looks great. :metal

In the meantime, I am thoroughly disappointed with this new remix of Vapor Trails.  In fact, I think it sucks. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1058 on: October 04, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »
Looks great. :metal

In the meantime, I am thoroughly disappointed with this new remix of Vapor Trails.  In fact, I think it sucks. 

You've obviously listened to the old version enough that it's permanently damaged your hearing... I'm so sorry. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1059 on: October 04, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
No, it sucks.  Listen to how awful Neil's drums are mixed too sound at times; it is like they were recorded and mixed in a garage somewhere.  And that echo effect applied to them during the opening pattern of Nocturne...my God, that is beyond terrible.  Not to mention the manipulation of some of Geddy's vocals to make them sound nothing like how would normally sing.  I think a lot of fans are so focused on how good it sounds compared to the original - in regards to the loudness, dynamics and whatnot - that they are overlooking everything else.  I listened to this in my car every time I had to drive somewhere yesterday and was utterly dismayed at what a poor job they did with this.  Thank God I didn't pay for it.  I already paid for the original CD and then the iTunes remaster from earlier this year, so I'll be damned if the record company was gonna get my money for buying it a third time. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: October 04, 2013, 05:20:10 PM »
lots of positive impressions vs 1 negative one.  Nothing wrong with having a unique opinion, even if it is wrong.   :jets:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TL

« Reply #1061 on: October 04, 2013, 07:25:45 PM »
I like it quite a bit so far. If I had one critique, it's that the guitar is a bit low in the mix at times.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1062 on: October 05, 2013, 06:51:04 AM »
I'm very excited for this DVD. Looks and sounds so good! Also my Vapor Trails Isn't coming in for like a week... Stupid Amazon.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1063 on: October 05, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »
SO glad they put the CA set all on the 2nd disc! Now I can listen to all of the CA songs on one disc without having to re-mix the track list around. And I don't mind the bonus songs being at the end of Disc 3! It reminds me of Rush In Rio, actually, and what I did with my S&A Live Tour set with the "Oh, Atlanta! Bonus Tracks".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1064 on: October 07, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »
I just got my Vapor trails remixed. There's plenty of good stuff in here, but man, it's actually going to take me some time to get used to the new sound of the album. They did a few wonders with it, and some of the vocal lines sound so different from the original that I honestly thought they re-recorded some vocals. It's interesting to hear the album the way the band intended it to sound.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1065 on: October 09, 2013, 02:10:46 AM »
CD came yesterday, listened to it last night.

I can understand why this has pissed off some Rush purists. The original mix attacked like a fevered Tyrannosaurus Rex that hasn't seen a lady Tyrannosaurus for 65 million years. The remix doesn't quite do that. But Rush purists are idiots.

In every way that matters, this is infinitely superior. For the first time, VT is actually listenable. In fact, it's better than that, it even sound, dare I say it, good. The instruments have room to breathe, and the listener doesn't have a headache at the end. Some of the changes will take a little geting used to, but a) I was never that used to the old VT, as I hardly ever listened to it, and b) who cares when it sounds this good?

It's the "B-list" material that benefits most. Songs like "Sweet Miracle", previously dismissed as filler, are a revelation. The acoustic guitars on "How It Is" are actually audible. A fantastic re-release, and one well worth waiting 11 years for. Man, I hope they play some of this stuff on the next tour...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1066 on: October 12, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
This is now a double album for me. Rush's vision and Bottrill's vision. (Which we have lovingly dubbed Frankentrails)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1067 on: October 12, 2013, 03:21:07 PM »
This is now a double album for me. Rush's vision and Bottrill's vision. (Which we have lovingly dubbed Frankentrails)

Wait... Rush's vision should be the remixed one, right? I've read plenty of articles and interviews where members of the band say that this is now how they wanted the album to sound originally, but the post-recording process was so botched up that it didn't turn out how THEY wanted it to sound to begin with.

I have to say, though, I love the new mix and it definitely breaths NEW life into the album. I really hope on their next tour that they play more VT tunes, especially if they tour without a new album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: October 13, 2013, 06:45:29 AM »
Got to listen to VT on headphones yesterday.  Damn!  Like someone said, it's like getting a whole new release from them.  Fantastic.  It's instantly made it a better album.  VT (while I liked the compositions) was at the bottom of my album rankings... it's easily jumped quite a few spots.  I'd now put it ahead of T4E, RTB, Presto, GUP, S&A, maybe even HYF.

Really enjoying it!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: October 13, 2013, 06:50:44 AM »
As much as it is a step up and I do like it it a ton, I A/B/C'd OLV and Earthshine and the remix on the Retrospective is better than the new remix.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: October 13, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
Was never a huge fan of VT. But after reading all these positive reviews, I'll be getting the remix for sure.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1071 on: October 16, 2013, 08:24:01 AM »
Does anyone of you purchased the digipack version of vapor trails remixed? I would like to know if there's any difference from the booklet's original artwork besides the cover. I'm in doubt if I will pick only the HD version or the digipack.
Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1072 on: October 16, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »
No difference.other than a few different credits.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1073 on: October 16, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
The survivor is down to the top ten in case any of you hadn't noticed. The current round ends in about half an hour.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1074 on: October 16, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
No difference.other than a few different credits.
thank you ! So it will be the HD version  :tup
On a side note ...the HD version of the original mix remastered isn ' t selling anymore on HDtracks.  :tdwn Not the better version, imo, but a really cool one.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1075 on: October 17, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1078 on: October 17, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
God damn. I hope I will see them live someday.  :'(

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: October 17, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
Man I can't wait to get this!!!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1080 on: October 17, 2013, 05:25:54 PM »
I was wondering today what album precisely marks Rush's transition from Progressive Rock to (Hard) Rock. What are your opinions?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1081 on: October 17, 2013, 06:14:48 PM »
Counterparts, no doubt!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1082 on: October 17, 2013, 06:59:06 PM »
Love that you can hear the orchestra so well in that video. Likely be the only tour they are ever on, deserve to be heard.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: October 17, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »
I was wondering today what album precisely marks Rush's transition from Progressive Rock to (Hard) Rock. What are your opinions?

If it wasn't for The Camera Eye, I'd say Moving Pictures.  Thus, Signals or Grace Under Pressure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1084 on: October 17, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »

Rush has ALWAYS been, more than anything else, hard rock.  They were just a hard rock band that had a prog phase for 5+ years.