Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497811 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #945 on: August 01, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
No they are not the same as the HD.  I am glad I held out.  It's like waiting for the extended version of the Hobbit. You knew it was coming out at some point. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #946 on: August 01, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »
Bah...yeah, I just read the whole article and then some. Sounds like I'll be getting this box set ANYWAY. Also. David Bottrill on the remixes? Sounds like it'll be pretty good.

I wonder if Presto-TFE will be touched at all, or if they're simply the last Remasters that Atlantic put out quite a few years ago? And what about S&A...remixed/remastered at all, or just the original?

Either way, looks like I know what I'll be getting with Christmas money. I wonder how cheap this will be... $50...$60 maybe?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #947 on: August 01, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
Amazon has it for $55
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #948 on: August 01, 2013, 09:12:24 AM »
Awesome!  I love Vapor Trails (the songs, at least).  First real-time Rush album for me.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #949 on: August 01, 2013, 09:15:09 AM »
Amazon has it for $55

Not bad! Totally worth it for six full LPs and an EP.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #950 on: August 01, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »
The cover art for the Vapor Trails remix, by the way. Looks like I'm double-dipping.

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TL

« Reply #951 on: August 01, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
Now I just have to find somewhere in Canada where I can actually buy this. Preferably the vinyl, but I'm having trouble even finding the CD listed on any Canadian sites.

If it becomes available on the band's site, I'll buy it immediately.

Also, yeah, that cover looks great.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:25:58 PM by TL »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #952 on: August 01, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
Considering how hard it is to find Roll the Bones > Vapor Trails on vinyl it would have been KILLER to have a limited edition vinyl box set of those years. I would have bought that in a heartbeat.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #953 on: August 01, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »
Bought the original VT album on release, full of excitement for new Rush and it was... awful. I will not be buying a new version of an album that was sold to me broken.
Re the box set- not my favourite era of Rush. Only RTB and Counterparts are worth hearing again for me. And neither need a remaster as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #954 on: August 01, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »
Lovely cover.  :heart

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #955 on: August 02, 2013, 08:35:11 AM »
I never listened to it enough for it for it to grow on me, because of the sound quality.  This will give me a chance to dig some "new" Rush.

Same for me. I don't think I've listened to the whole album more than half-a-dozen times and for a Rush album that's almost a crime.

I don't think the re-mix will all of a sudden reveal a hitherto suppressed classic album, but at least it should render it listenable. The earlier remixes of One Little Victory and Earthshine was a definite improvement over the originals.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #956 on: August 02, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
I've... never listened past One Little Victory, honestly.  :sad:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #957 on: August 02, 2013, 11:38:57 AM »
Ghost Rider, Sweet Miracle, and How It Is are my favorites from Vapor Trails. And those songs don't really suffer from the production so I can't  wait to hear what the rest of the album is going to sound like. Cool cover, too!

Offline TL

« Reply #958 on: August 03, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »
Have any Canadians found anywhere online to buy this from yet?

It's on US Amazon for a couple dollars under the list price right now, but there's still no listing for the CD or Vinyl on the Canadian site (seriously, why does Amazon seem to hate Canadians to much?). If I buy it from the US site, I don't get free shipping, and there's an 'import deposit fee' (even though it will probably ship from Mississauga, Ontario, they'll ship it into the US and then back out), so the price at that point becomes a lot less attractive.

Obviously the band aren't involved in the specific business details, so it's not their fault, but you'd think when every publication and site that talks about them always mentions that they're Canadian, their label would at least make sure their releases are, you know, available in Canada.

I promise to stop ranting about this for a while now. It's just really frustrating.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: August 05, 2013, 03:26:52 AM »
Now Metallica need to remix & Remaster Death Magnetic.

Of course - they never admit their CDs have any problems with them.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #960 on: August 05, 2013, 04:15:16 AM »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #961 on: August 05, 2013, 04:22:40 AM »
I´m really digging the VT Remix cover. And I think those of us who give this remix a change are in for a surprise. A friend of mine did some work on the VT tracks to clean them up a little bit some 4 years ago and they sounded great. Mind you, he didn´t have access to the mastr tapes of course, and even so, the songs improved a fair bit. With this being done properly by a producer with access to professional equipment, I think it will sound killer, like it should have 11 years ago.

With this new release, I´m hoping they include one or two songs from VT in their next tour (whenever that is). At least the title track, Freeze and Nocturne, for me, deserve to be played live. I didn´t care much for One Little Victory or Secret Touch, to be honest.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #962 on: August 05, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »
I'll be buying both.

It will be cool having the new cover along side the old one on the wall.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #963 on: August 05, 2013, 08:48:49 PM »
So I saw Rush the last two nights of the tour.  Saw them in Denver and made the drive out to Kansas City.  A bit tired from that drive.  Both shows were really good.  Geddy's voice was a little rough at times in Denver and maybe a few spots in Kansas City.  Sounded like he was recovering from a sore throat or something.  But musically they played extremely well.  I was a little disappointed at getting Limelight both nights as I would have loved to have seen Middletown Dreams and to a lesser extent Body Electric.  But I can see why they put it in that spot.  A lot of people around me on both nights were not really into the synth era stuff so going with a classic gets the energy back for the majority of the crowd.

Clockwork Angels stuff was great.  That material really shines live.  The fact that the album has been out a year and I found the material engaging live is a very good sign.  The Garden is certainly my favorite track from the album and probably the best lyric work Neil has done IMO.  Both "The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect.  So hard to earn, so easily burned" and "The future disappears into memory, with only a moment between.  Forever dwells within that moment.  Hope is what remains to be seen" are just awesome.

I absolutely loved both nights.  I think my favorite song in the set was Grand Designs.  It just has a great energy to it and I loved singing along to the outro "chorus" if you will.  But Territories, Manhattan Project, Red Sector A, Subdivisions, Force Ten, The Pass, and the Analog Kid were all really top notch as well.

With the exception of R30 I've seen every tour they've done since Presto.  I would rank this one right behind Test For Echo and slightly ahead of the Time Machine tour.  That speaks mostly to my love of the 80s material and Clockwork Angels I think. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #964 on: August 05, 2013, 10:43:19 PM »
I loved it primarily for the Clockwork Angels album. The other surprises sure didn't hurt either.

R30 was probably my least favorite tour of the ones you mentioned going back to the Roll The Bones tour I guess.  I loved Between The Wheels on that tour though.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #965 on: August 06, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
I remember seeing the setlist for R30 and just chose not to go.  I didn't really like those covers they put in there.  And outside of Between the Wheels and the tiny portions of "Bastille Day" and "Passage to Bangkok" I had seen everything else on the set before.

I was glad with the Snakes and Arrows tour they started bringing out songs they hadn't played in a long time.  So that was cool.  And I got to see Between the Wheels then which was great.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #966 on: August 06, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
Assuming the price of the vinyl comes down to a point I find acceptable, I already know what I'm doing on release day.

I'm going to put the vinyl in, and the old CD in, and the first thing I'm going to listen to is One Little Victory on CD. Then I'll throw on the vinyl and hopefully be all the more blown away by this. I have listened to Vapor Trails so little I will practically be treating this as the release of a new Rush album, can't wait!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #967 on: August 08, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »
Assuming the price of the vinyl comes down to a point I find acceptable, I already know what I'm doing on release day.

I'm going to put the vinyl in, and the old CD in, and the first thing I'm going to listen to is One Little Victory on CD. Then I'll throw on the vinyl and hopefully be all the more blown away by this. I have listened to Vapor Trails so little I will practically be treating this as the release of a new Rush album, can't wait!

That's going to be an incredible experience. 

As for me, I can tell already that everything that was done will be compared to the original because I've listened to it so many times. Some of the fan-remixes and such always improve some elements, but in a lot of cases the directness and immediacy is cut back quite a bit and a lot of the punch is gone. A lot of the attraction for that album for me is the rawness of it. I think you may be able to hear the bass a little better, but it might sound weaker. But I guess we'll see in a few months.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #968 on: August 24, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
Alex's birthday is on Tuesday. Can't make up my mind about what I should play. Played Victor last week so I can't do that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: August 24, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »
Go for the odd.  Play Lawrence Gowan's Lost Brotherhood since he played on it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #970 on: August 24, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »
Go for the odd.  Play Lawrence Gowan's Lost Brotherhood since he played on it.

I suppose that would satisfy my need to hear some Tony Levin too.

Good call.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #971 on: August 24, 2013, 09:15:06 PM »
Wait, what is this?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #972 on: August 24, 2013, 09:19:36 PM »
Okay, I just read the Wikipedia entry for Lawrence Gowan.  I had no idea that the guy had been around so long and had a successful solo career prior to joining Styx.  I'd never heard of him.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #973 on: August 24, 2013, 09:55:42 PM »
Okay, I just read the Wikipedia entry for Lawrence Gowan.  I had no idea that the guy had been around so long and had a successful solo career prior to joining Styx.  I'd never heard of him.
His first solo album "Gowan" is pretty cool.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: August 25, 2013, 04:11:24 AM »

Yup.  That was how I found out about his music.  Since I was a Rush nut, I had to pick up his album when Alex was playing on it.  I was real happy when I found out he joined Styx.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: August 27, 2013, 02:17:25 AM »
Happy 60th birthday, Alex! :metal

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: August 27, 2013, 07:08:52 AM »
 :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #977 on: September 01, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »

Yup.  That was how I found out about his music.  Since I was a Rush nut, I had to pick up his album when Alex was playing on it.  I was real happy when I found out he joined Styx.

I'd love to get hold of his first album.

I listened to Lost Brotherhood as planned and was a little disappointed by it actually.   I forgot how thin and weak it sounds. I had to look at the liner noted to make sure Tony Levin actually played on that album as I thought I'd remembered he did.

I guess there's a reason I didn't listen to this much. Definately suffers from those '80s trappings.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:22:13 PM by ytserush »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: September 01, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
Yeah, it is thin but it shouldn't detract from the songs.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #979 on: September 03, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »

I finally watched/listened to 2112 Five Point One over the weekend.  I had read some reviews of it, so the relatively conservative use of the surround channels was expected, but still somewhat disappointing.  I had hoped that the few reviews I'd read (before I stopped reading them) were exaggerated due to the reviewers being disappointed, but they really weren't.  The presentation is similar to that of a movie which is dialogue-heavy.  The vast majority of the soundstage is in the fronts, with the rears/surrounds used only for some ambience from time to time.  Not really a very immersive experience, but I don't think that that was what they were going for.  It was simply an artistic choice (by Richard Chycki, by the way).

I do recall a few times when I heard guitar parts and/or percussion coming from corners of the room where I don't even have speakers.  This of course was achieved by mixing partway between the left front and rear, or right front and rear, with the apparent location of the sound somewhere in between.  That was nicely done.  I suppose that if the effect were used too much, it would become tedious, but overall I prefer a more immersive experience from 5.1 music.  This is practically a stereo mix with just a little extra space maybe 10% of the time, 20% tops.  So if you were expecting Neil's tom fills to wrap around the room or the layers of guitars spread around the room, you too will be disappointed.

What I was not expecting was the graphic novel which accompanied the story.  Actually, the entire album is accompanied by illustrated panels.  The "super deluxe" version contains a 40-page comic book, and I'm assuming that that is what we get to see here, synchronized to the album as it unfolds.  The "story notes" part of the title suite is included, which was nice, and the lyrics themselves appear in speech bubbles as spoken/sung by the characters.  "2112" was done pretty well, with most of the story laid out pretty much as I'd imagined it in my head.  The only real deviation was "Discovery" which I found interesting, but ultimately the artist's interpretation didn't make much sense to me.

Once the title suite was over, I was somewhat surprised that "Side Two" of the album was also illustrated, so that was cool.  It was a huge task in the first place, so I shouldn't really harp on the shortcuts taken by the graphic artist, but by the end it was downright distracting.  Most of "Something for Nothing" was a single illustration with the lyrics added as they came up in the song.  Each song had a somewhat different feel, which was cool, and it's possible that that was just how the artist had envisioned the song, but since it was the last song on the album, it had the effect of seeming like he was just tired or out of time and used a huge shortcut at the end.

Overall, it was great.  While the surround was not as immersive as I would have liked, hearing 2112 in 96kHz / 24-bit PCM on my home theater system, very loudly (no one else was home) was worth the price, and the graphics only added to the experience.