Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497457 times)

Offline Ruba

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #910 on: July 02, 2013, 02:11:50 AM »
Hmm yes.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #911 on: July 02, 2013, 02:24:57 PM »
It would reach critical Canadian potential if they were eating poutine out of the top of it.

I'm a Canadian, and I support this message.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #912 on: July 02, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
Yeah, saw this on my FB feed this morning.

One week 'til they hit the closest thing to Neil's hometown - Hamilton.  :caffeine:

Looks like it's gonna be a Rush listening week.

I did have something to say here, but I have no idea what it was after seeing this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #913 on: July 02, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
Did it have anything to do with two grown men kissing something that literally thousands of unwashed hands have touched?

Geddy seems to be keeping a safe distance, but Alex looks like he'd go for some tongue action if only a proper orifice were available.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: July 03, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
Or that Chicago won the Stanley Cup and not Toronto, their home town? Seems weird to me without knowing the real reason.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #915 on: July 05, 2013, 06:21:10 PM »
Saw Rush live last night for the first time. Goddamn good show.

Setlist Spoilers and General Thoughts to follow...

Highlights of the evening:
Headlong Flight in general... Song is awesome live and that cemented it as one of my favorite Rush songs
Where's My Thing? (plus the badass drum solo)
Alex destroying the solo on The Analog Kid
Manhattan Project!
Finally gaining some appreciation for both Clockwork Angels (the song) and Big Money
Neil's electronic drum solo. At first my friend and I both thought that Geddy was playing the keys along with the drums, turns out those were the drums. Very cool.
Opening the evening with Subdivisions, one of my favorites
Spirit of Radio!
The String Ensemble and how they were used in the music, especially on the older songs. Very cool.

Some 'criticisms' (if you can all them that):
We got so many songs from Power Windows, but no Marathon? Boo!
While I liked how the evening 'sets' were laid out, by the end of the 80's set I was getting a wee bit tired of their 80's stuff. I like a lot of their 80's stuff, but after so many songs it just starts to be a bit monotonous after so long (for me). I will say that seeing so many of those songs has made me go back and reappraise a few that I initially disregarded.

So that's it. Great, great night. Really glad I finally go off my butt to see them live.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #916 on: July 05, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
We're on year 2 of the tour, you can post "spoilers" at this point.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #917 on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »
So the Hamilton show was spectacular! Lerxst's guitar was a little quiet in the first set, but they seemed to fix that for set 2. All around, a pretty epic performance.
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #918 on: July 10, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »
So the Hamilton show was spectacular! Lerxst's guitar was a little quiet in the first set, but they seemed to fix that for set 2. All around, a pretty epic performance.

I was there as well.  Didn't notice the guitar being quiet from where I was.  Excellent show... encore was a little short imo.  They coulda brought out another more obscure tune, like Jacob's Ladder.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #919 on: July 10, 2013, 11:08:38 PM »
Did it have anything to do with two grown men kissing something that literally thousands of unwashed hands have touched?

Geddy seems to be keeping a safe distance, but Alex looks like he'd go for some tongue action if only a proper orifice were available.

One of those hands was mine too. I didn't want to touch it (superstitious), but the handler grabbed my hand and put it there for the photo. Bastard.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #920 on: July 11, 2013, 01:48:09 PM »
Different Strings is such a great song that gets ruined by a stupid fadeout at the epic guitar solo ending. I need to find a live version.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ruba

« Reply #921 on: July 11, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »
Different Strings is such a great song that gets ruined by a stupid fadeout at the epic guitar solo ending. I need to find a live version.

Rush has never played it live, if I'm not mistaken. Possibly because they don't have a full-time keyboard player playing the piano parts. However, Dream Theater has covered it live.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #922 on: July 11, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
Different Strings is my favorite song on Permanent Waves :heart

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #923 on: July 11, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »

Rush has never played it live, if I'm not mistaken. Possibly because they don't have a full-time keyboard player playing the piano parts. However, Dream Theater has covered it live.

True. "Different Strings" lands in the "album-only" piece that has never gotten played live. Oddly enough, a lot of songs in the second-to-last position in the album have never been played live: Before And After, Rivendell, Tears, Madrigal, Different Strings, Losing It, Emotion Detector, and Tai Shan.

For a couple tours, "Witch Hunt" was like that, as well, being a more involved piece musically speaking. The arrangements made it a bit tougher to perform live with the equipment they had back then. It seems all (or most) of these 2nd-to-last songs are very different and would prove to be harder to perform live, and I wonder if they did that on purpose for so many of their albums (at least up to HYF).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #924 on: July 11, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »

True. "Different Strings" lands in the "album-only" piece that has never gotten played live. Oddly enough, a lot of songs in the second-to-last position in the album have never been played live: Before And After, Rivendell, Tears, Madrigal, Different Strings, Losing It, Emotion Detector, and Tai Shan.

For a couple tours, "Witch Hunt" was like that, as well, being a more involved piece musically speaking. The arrangements made it a bit tougher to perform live with the equipment they had back then. It seems all (or most) of these 2nd-to-last songs are very different and would prove to be harder to perform live, and I wonder if they did that on purpose for so many of their albums (at least up to HYF).

-Marc.

I hope they decide to dust it off one of these days.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: July 12, 2013, 05:19:26 AM »
Class act all the way.  Regarding their show in Calgary.

Due to recent flooding and water damage at the Scotiabank Saddledome, the RUSH concert originally scheduled for Wednesday July 24 had to be cancelled.

Rush has been moved by the situation in Alberta and have decided to perform their Clockwork Angels show at the closest location possible on the same date – Wednesday, July 24 in Red Deer, Alberta at the Enmax Centrium – and have ALL PROCEEDS to go Alberta Flood Relief.

Rush will be donating their fee, and paying for all their expenses. Their promoter partner Live Nation will also be donating their time and fees towards this cause. The venue, Enmax Centrium, will be donating goods and services to the event as well. It’s an all –hands-on-deck situation to donate time in order to raise as much money possible for our Alberta friends and fellow Canadians in need.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #926 on: July 12, 2013, 05:27:05 AM »
Classy move! :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: July 12, 2013, 05:44:17 AM »
 :clap:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #928 on: July 12, 2013, 05:54:37 AM »
Fantastic!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #929 on: July 12, 2013, 07:59:35 AM »
Canadians are just that much cooler than Americans.  It's true.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: July 12, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »
Don't know how much press that flooding got outside of Canada, but it was insane. The Saddledome (which is where the NHL team plays ... So a major stadium/arena) was flooded up to row 10. It's also right in downtown Calgary. This flooding was on the scale (perhaps worse) than what NY saw with Sandy. The worst hit area (ironically a town called "High River") still has homes under water ... One month later.

Ok, carry on with Rush discussion.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #931 on: July 12, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »
so I had a dream the other night that I was in Rush as a fourth member.  Playing trumpet.  Yep.

We were doing a show, and the only song I can remember playing was Bravado.  It was a bit weird in that I was basically sight-playing from some sheet music, but was handling it ok.  I don't recall too much else, but it was fun nonetheless.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TL

« Reply #932 on: July 12, 2013, 02:33:38 PM »
Seeing them for the first time ever tonight! So excited!

How much do shirts usually cost at a Rush show?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #933 on: July 12, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »
Seeing them for the first time ever tonight! So excited!

How much do shirts usually cost at a Rush show?

Got one around 30 but it's a really nice shirt!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TL

« Reply #934 on: July 13, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »
So, Rush last night.

Holy shit that was amazing! Great setlist, great performance by the band, the string ensemble in the second set were fantastic, and DAT STAGE SHOW. Just, everything about it was absolutely incredible!

Also, as it turns out, Carnies is mind blowingly good live, especially with the effects and everything. I already really liked that song, but... just wow.

Easily one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #935 on: July 13, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
That is so awesome TL.  I've been to 30 shows and I still get surprised seeing them.  It never gets stale.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #936 on: July 13, 2013, 02:26:29 PM »
Class act all the way.  Regarding their show in Calgary.

Due to recent flooding and water damage at the Scotiabank Saddledome, the RUSH concert originally scheduled for Wednesday July 24 had to be cancelled.

Rush has been moved by the situation in Alberta and have decided to perform their Clockwork Angels show at the closest location possible on the same date – Wednesday, July 24 in Red Deer, Alberta at the Enmax Centrium – and have ALL PROCEEDS to go Alberta Flood Relief.

Rush will be donating their fee, and paying for all their expenses. Their promoter partner Live Nation will also be donating their time and fees towards this cause. The venue, Enmax Centrium, will be donating goods and services to the event as well. It’s an all –hands-on-deck situation to donate time in order to raise as much money possible for our Alberta friends and fellow Canadians in need.

I'm glad they embarrassed Jive Nation into doing the right thing too. That doesn't happen without the band's lead.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:12:31 PM by ytserush »

Offline TL

« Reply #937 on: July 13, 2013, 10:23:58 PM »
That is so awesome TL.  I've been to 30 shows and I still get surprised seeing them.  It never gets stale.
I legitimately wish I had bought a ticket to the second Halifax show on Sunday.

Hopefully it won't be another 25 years before they come back.  :P
(Probably won't be, since the main holdup was a terrible promotion company here that doesn't exist anymore).

Also, this really seems like the tour to see them on (of the modern ones anyway). No doubt the last couple were great, but they really seem to be going 110% with this one.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #938 on: July 29, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »
I can't believe Geddy is 60 today. How is that even possible?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #940 on: August 01, 2013, 01:21:56 AM »
https://news.2112.net/2013/07/vapor-trails-remix-coming-soon.html
That could have been neat if it was 2002. Nowadays,I really don't care about Vapor Trails.

Online Mladen

« Reply #941 on: August 01, 2013, 03:09:27 AM »
That's such a fantastic album, and I even got used to the production. I'll make sure to check out the remix.  :tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #942 on: August 01, 2013, 06:20:45 AM »
Vapor Trails isn't one of my favorites, but I'll probably get this just because I don't have a physical copy of it yet.

Edit: Here's from the official site: https://www.rush.com/vapor-trails-remixed/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:02:45 AM by Mosh »
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #943 on: August 01, 2013, 07:56:35 AM »
I never listened to it enough for it for it to grow on me, because of the sound quality.  This will give me a chance to dig some "new" Rush.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #944 on: August 01, 2013, 08:20:21 AM »
Aren't these same remixes/remasters that were also released digitally through HDTracks not long ago? I bought (for $18) the HD remix of Vapor Trails and I have to say, it was greatly improved, and while Geddy's bass was dropped a bit, there's a lot more clarity in the other instruments, especially the drums and wall of guitars.

I haven't even gotten around to buying the Sectors yet, but I may buy THIS box set FIRST just because of the VT Remix. Also, that cover looks gorgeous, too.

-Marc.