Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497848 times)

Offline Unlegit

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #700 on: April 22, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
 :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #701 on: April 24, 2013, 12:30:41 PM »
https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2013/04/24/3607/Rush-iTunes-only-digital-album-collections-coming-May-14th

"Both collections are digital only and mastered for iTunes."

No thanks, I will stick my original CDs instead of iTunes' "compressed to death for iPods" versions.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #702 on: April 24, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure why this is supposed to even be a good thing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
Reading Kev’s thread on the top Rush synth songs made me think back to my introduction to Rush. My friend gave me a copy of 2112 and told me to listen to the title song. It was the greatest thing I’d ever heard. I am not exaggerating. I wasn’t new to 20+ minute long songs, but this one stood head and shoulders above the rest. I decided to buy something, but not knowing where to start, went with the old reliable (or not…), the compilation album. In this case, Chronicles, which seemed to be a good career-spanning collection. For reference, the track listing is below. The first disc had a few clunkers at the beginning, but was a solid disc I listened to all the time. The second disc, well, I didn’t know what to make of it. The first three I’d heard all the time on classic rock radio, and agreed that’s what they were: “classics.” But then….   What the hell? Where was the band that kicked ass all over the place on disc 1? How did the guys who did 2112 come up with this stuff? And is this really their greatest hits from this time period? I didn't follow Rush chronologically, since this all took place in the early 90s. Maybe if I did, the musical and stylistic changes would have been more gradual.

I have no idea why I posted this, other than boredom at work.

Disc 1
Finding My Way
Working Man
Fly By Night
Anthem
Bastille Day
Lakeside Park
2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx
What You're Doing (Live)
A Farewell to Kings
Closer to the Heart
The Trees
La Villa Strangiato
Freewill
The Spirit of Radio

Disc 2 
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
Limelight
A Passage to Bangkok (Live)
Subdivisions
New World Man
Distant Early Warning
Red Sector A
The Big Money
Manhattan Project
Force Ten
Time Stand Still
Mystic Rhythms (Live)
Show Don't Tell
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #704 on: April 24, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2013/04/24/3607/Rush-iTunes-only-digital-album-collections-coming-May-14th

"Both collections are digital only and mastered for iTunes."

No thanks, I will stick my original CDs instead of iTunes' "compressed to death for iPods" versions.

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is supposed to even be a good thing.

Fuckin right. I can download the exact same crap they're trying to sell for free. If I'm paying money, give me something to show for it. Who ever makes the decision to make ANY music release digital-only should be dropped off at the roughest bar in the wrong side of town and have to fight the baddest motherfucker in there.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #705 on: April 27, 2013, 03:31:43 PM »
Felt like listening to Signals today.

Its an album that took me a very long time really get into, but I have now since come to appreciate and respect all that it has to offer.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #706 on: April 27, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »
The second disc, well, I didn’t know what to make of it. The first three I’d heard all the time on classic rock radio, and agreed that’s what they were: “classics.” But then….   What the hell? Where was the band that kicked ass all over the place on disc 1? How did the guys who did 2112 come up with this stuff? And is this really their greatest hits from this time period? I didn't follow Rush chronologically, since this all took place in the early 90s. Maybe if I did, the musical and stylistic changes would have been more gradual.

Disc 2 
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
Limelight

A Passage to Bangkok (Live)
Subdivisions
New World Man
Distant Early Warning
Red Sector A
The Big Money
Manhattan Project
Force Ten
Time Stand Still
Mystic Rhythms (Live)
Show Don't Tell

Rush isn't Dream Theater, and they were just tired of making epics after Hemispheres. Simple as that. The synth era, which is what disc 2 is mostly comprised of, is very airy and light. If you want more heavy kick-ass, move past this to 1993 and beyond, Counterparts - Present.

Notable badass albums/notable badass songs:

Counterparts (Animate, Double Agent, Leave That Thing Alone)
Vapor Trails (One Little Victory, Peaceable Kingdom, Nocturne)
Snakes and Arrows (Far Cry, The Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissism )
Clockwork Angels (BU2B, Clockwork Angels, Headlong Flight)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #707 on: April 27, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
Felt like listening to Signals today.

Its an album that took me a very long time really get into, but I have now since come to appreciate and respect all that it has to offer.
For the longest time, it was my favorite Rush album. Now it's a close second after Permanent Waves.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #708 on: April 28, 2013, 03:13:23 AM »

Counterparts (Animate, Double Agent)

Double Agent is so underrated! A top 20, if not top 10 Rush song for me. Animate must be one of the best songs ever written.

Yeah I love Counterparts.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #709 on: May 02, 2013, 01:35:28 PM »
Hello all.  Just saw Rush in Nashville, Tennessee last night.   The attendance was lower than the 2011 Time Machine tour.  The sound was ok considering in my opinion this arena is built for sports and concerts are ok.  We had an outdoor arena here for some time, but it was torn down.

I was surprised that I liked the first set considering that the 80's sync series Rush is not my favorite.  The second set was good, but the crowd seemed subdued with most of the new material.  The strings really added to the sound in the second set.

Favorite moments:
Where is my thing with drum solo  -   Neil even gave Geddy a smile after the solo
Analog Kid  -  Great energy and guitar solo
Seven Cities of Gold - Great jam
Headlong Flight with the drum solo was great
Spirit of the Radio, Tom Sawyer and Temples were great and got the crowd going

Would have loved more early stuff, but maybe that will happen with Rush 40.

On a final note, I cannot understand why Dream Theater would not go back to the evening with performances.  They certainly have the material and should have the energy, plus they could probably charge more for the tickets since most DT fans would be thrilled with just a DT performance.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #710 on: May 02, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
Could have something to do with JLB's stamina since most singers who have a style as demanding as JLB's really struggle to maintain their peak level past the age of 40 without resorting to things like shorter sets, altering setlists to include fewer songs that use a lot of high notes, playing songs in a lower key than the original recording (I really hate this one), or spacing shows out more sparsely.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #711 on: May 02, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »

Rush isn't Dream Theater, and they were just tired of making epics after Hemispheres. Simple as that. The synth era, which is what disc 2 is mostly comprised of, is very airy and light. If you want more heavy kick-ass, move past this to 1993 and beyond, Counterparts - Present.

Counterparts (Animate, Double Agent, Leave That Thing Alone)
Vapor Trails (One Little Victory, Peaceable Kingdom, Nocturne)
Snakes and Arrows (Far Cry, The Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissism )
Clockwork Angels (BU2B, Clockwork Angels, Headlong Flight)

you seem to have left out Stick It Out from CP, Ceiling Unlimited from VT, The Anarchist from CA, just to start...  I'm also a fan of Time and Motion from TFE, although I know a lot of people don't like that track (and it's one of my least favorite albums.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #712 on: May 02, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
Could have something to do with JLB's stamina since most singers who have a style as demanding as JLB's really struggle to maintain their peak level past the age of 40 without resorting to things like shorter sets, altering setlists to include fewer songs that use a lot of high notes, playing songs in a lower key than the original recording (I really hate this one), or spacing shows out more sparsely.

Four times out of five, what Dream Theater does is more demanding than what Rush does.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #713 on: May 02, 2013, 03:53:46 PM »
I wasn't comparing Rush to DT. I was stating possible reasons why DT haven't done EW shows in a while.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #714 on: May 02, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »
Four times out of five, what Dream Theater does is more demanding than what Rush does.

tell that to Geddy
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #715 on: May 02, 2013, 11:24:37 PM »

tell that to Geddy

Exactly.  When you factor in singing, bass playing, keyboard playing and triggering whatever, nobody in Dream Theater has anything on Geddy when it comes to on-stage demands.   

• DT.net Member
« Reply #716 on: May 02, 2013, 11:42:02 PM »
Forklifts don't drive themselves.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #717 on: May 03, 2013, 02:30:08 AM »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #718 on: May 03, 2013, 03:07:51 AM »
Forklifts don't drive themselves.

:rollin :heart

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #719 on: May 03, 2013, 03:50:47 AM »
I hate quoting so incompletely, but I remember DT doing one longer show (or perhaps a couple of them, and I think it was in Australia) in the last few years with Portnoy and afterwards one of them (possibly Portnoy) saying they were wondering, after the show, how could they have been doing such excruciatingly long sets for several years. Whether I am remembering correctly or not, there's no doubt DT got a bit bored and tired of spending three hours on stage every night, otherwise they would still be doing that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #720 on: May 03, 2013, 03:52:57 AM »
I think that was during the Chaos in Motion tour.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: May 03, 2013, 03:53:04 AM »
I hate quoting so incompletely, but I remember DT doing one longer show (or perhaps a couple of them, and I think it was in Australia) in the last few years with Portnoy and afterwards one of them (possibly Portnoy) saying they were wondering, after the show, how could they have been doing such excruciatingly long sets for several years. Whether I am remembering correctly or not, there's no doubt DT got a bit bored and tired of spending three hours on stage every night, otherwise they would still be doing that.
You're right - MP mentioned it at least in one of the "Portnoy & Åkerfeldt" interview videos that were done before the Progressive Nation 2008 tour. And the country he was referring to was Australia, because they had never played there before.

ninja'd by 7 seconds :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #722 on: May 03, 2013, 04:05:54 AM »
Woot so I was right.

And I can't say I blame them, they could do with playing a slightly longer show (current length + one of the epics), but I am not sure I want them playing two full blown sets per night. They're supermen, true, but they're also aging supermen; I don't want to see them get fatigued or god forbid hurt.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: May 03, 2013, 04:12:31 AM »
Totally agreed - they could do longer sets similar to the South American shows last year, but I don't think they'll go back to 2-set shows. JP has also said that the crowds often seemed to get tired towards the end of the show, although he mentioned that the "evening with" format works well when you're playing some album in full.

(sorry for the OT)

Offline philmcson

« Reply #724 on: May 03, 2013, 11:35:03 AM »
Any information regarding their new live (Clockwork Angels) dvd?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #725 on: May 03, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »
On my way to see the band live in Raleigh tonight! Gonna be my first time seeing Rush live! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #726 on: May 03, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
Have a great time, dearie!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #727 on: May 03, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »
Going to my first RUSH concert on Tuesday at the 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore. The website says 7:30 for the show, is that when the SHOW starts? Or when the doors open? Also, when should I get there, keeping in mind traffic and parking? I was thinking 6:30 arrival time and all.

I cannot wait for my FIRST Rush show ever!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #728 on: May 03, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »
Going to my first RUSH concert on Tuesday at the 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore. The website says 7:30 for the show, is that when the SHOW starts? Or when the doors open? Also, when should I get there, keeping in mind traffic and parking? I was thinking 6:30 arrival time and all.

-Marc.

Show starts at the time on the ticket....doors are usually at least an hour (usually two hours) before showtime. 

Typically, rock concerts do start about 10-15 late...but in my experience, Rush is a bit more prompt.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #729 on: May 03, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »

-Marc.

awesome!  Really excited for you.  Yeah, 7:30 is the start, cause they usually have to end by 11 for union rules and such, and you know Rush plays a long show.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #730 on: May 03, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »
Marc, I can't believe it's your first Rush show?!  Enjoy!  Same to you Mr. Gold! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #731 on: May 03, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »
Show in Raleigh was freaking baller. If I'm being honest, the selfish, ungrateful side of me wishes they would have played some more classic material. Because they only played like five classics, it was only a 10/10 show, instead of an 11/10.

OH YEA AND THEY PLAYED 2112 AHHH
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #732 on: May 03, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
Marc, I can't believe it's your first Rush show?!

I know, especially with him being such a fan and all.  You'll have a great time, Marc. :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #733 on: May 04, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »

tell that to Geddy

Exactly.  When you factor in singing, bass playing, keyboard playing and triggering whatever, nobody in Dream Theater has anything on Geddy when it comes to on-stage demands.

I should have qualified that by saying musically demanding. Obviously, Geddy has some pretty serious performance demands.

Wow!

Didn't realize there were still some Rush virgins around here. Have fun guys. Every show is special.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #734 on: May 04, 2013, 09:47:42 PM »
"Special" indeed. Quite frankly, that was the single greatest concert I've ever been to. My dad went with me too, and he's seen some pretty awesome shows in his lifetime that he always ranks the shows we've gone to against (Elton John in the 1970's, the Rolling Stones in the 1990's, etc) and he was gaping by the end of the first set and babbling like an excited lunatic at the end of the show (but then so was I  :biggrin: ).

He even told me today that Rush was now officially his new favorite band ever. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.