Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497964 times)

Snow Dog and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #490 on: January 07, 2013, 06:16:27 AM »
Yeah, I think they're charging $80 because Kingshmegland was there!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #491 on: January 07, 2013, 06:22:50 AM »
I've always really liked Presto. It has some very good songwriting and a variety of sounds. It's a good balance between their keyboard-oriented and heavier styles.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #492 on: January 07, 2013, 07:04:25 AM »
Yeah, I think they're charging $80 because Kingshmegland was there!

Pffftt!!  My fee is higher!! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #493 on: January 07, 2013, 07:38:50 AM »
I just got Presto for Christmas. Anything I should listen to in particular when I play it?

Just play it straight through the first time.  Then again.  Seriously.

There are some great songs on Presto and I like it overall, but I've always found it better to let a work speak for itself.  If someone has told me specifically about certain songs, I find it distracting to sit there thinking "Okay, it's after this one" or later think "Hmm, not what I expected" because then I don't listen to what's playing at the moment.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #494 on: January 07, 2013, 07:41:43 AM »
I just got Presto for Christmas. Anything I should listen to in particular when I play it?

Just play it straight through the first time.  Then again.  Seriously.

There are some great songs on Presto and I like it overall, but I've always found it better to let a work speak for itself.  If someone has told me specifically about certain songs, I find it distracting to sit there thinking "Okay, it's after this one" or later think "Hmm, not what I expected" because then I don't listen to what's playing at the moment.
I agree, especially on Presto.

I am as big of critic on post Moving Pictures Rush as there is, but I find Presto very endearing for some reason.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #495 on: January 07, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
I prefer RTB to Presto. Nothing really stood out and there are several poor tracks.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #496 on: January 07, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
I'm reading Neil Peart's healing book. Has any of you read it?

Yeah. I enjoyed it. Would love to retrace the journey (the physical one, not the emotional one, obviously). I wanted to see the places he went.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #497 on: January 07, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »
So I was looking at Rush's Discography and I saw that Different Stages had not only tons of live material, but the entirety of 2112. Was it discontinued or something? I looked it up on Amazon and it was like $80 new. What's the deal-io?

That sounds pricey to me.  I'm not sure if it was discontinued.  I was at that show for the recording of 2112.  6th row.  One of the best shows I've ever saw.

Funny thing about that show and the recording of "2112" on Different Stages - a few months ago when I was compiling my Rush Tours Complete Live Series, I picked the "Great Woods & Summer Skies" SBD bootleg to represent the TFE tour, and there's a gaff that Neil does near the end of "2112 VII. Grand Finale". He misses the change and accidentally continues the 6/8 groove when Geddy and Alex start the ascending quarter note chords.

Apparently, they 'fixed' it on the DS release, because I've A/B'd the two recordings and they either subbed in a different show for just that portion, or they sampled the first few notes of the repeat of that same section. Either way, I did the same fix on my copy of GW&SS just so it sounds right! Too bad I can't fix the intro to "Freewill" where Alex totally misses the first 2 beats! Whoops! :facepalm:

Aside from those two mistakes, the band was on FIRE that night, and it's a great show and one of my favorite bootlegs!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #498 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:45 PM »
GW&SS is indeed awesome.  Hey Marc, don't they also have a little flub somewhere in "Force 10" on that bootleg?  I'm remembering some kind of issue they had with that song for some reason.

Weird to think that at it's release, Rush probably thought Different Stages might be their last ever album, especially since Peart considered himself retired after his personal tragedies.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: January 07, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
Marc, they were having a blast and being in the 6th row, I got to see all the little faces and joke and smiles.  they were really into it that night and it showed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online The Letter M

« Reply #500 on: January 07, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
GW&SS is indeed awesome.  Hey Marc, don't they also have a little flub somewhere in "Force 10" on that bootleg?  I'm remembering some kind of issue they had with that song for some reason.

Weird to think that at it's release, Rush probably thought Different Stages might be their last ever album, especially since Peart considered himself retired after his personal tragedies.

Maybe? It was near the end of the show at that point but I'll have to listen again to hear what it was, if anything.

Marc, they were having a blast and being in the 6th row, I got to see all the little faces and joke and smiles.  they were really into it that night and it showed.

I bet! Wasn't it like the 8th to last show of the tour? I'm sure they were just being all sorts of silly and funny by the end of that tour, especially being their first Evening With!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #501 on: January 07, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
New Mexico has got to be in the tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online The Letter M

« Reply #502 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:16 PM »
Hey guys, so I made this *VERY* Difficult Word-Ladder on Sporcle, and I was wondering if you guys would play it and help me fix anything I missed! Already had a few suggestions from one user, so I'd like it if you guys could help me along! Thanks and GOOD LUCK! :tup

https://www.sporcle.com/games/MarkyMarc413/rush-word-ladder-phase-4

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:35:53 PM by The Letter M »

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #503 on: January 08, 2013, 09:32:48 PM »
Don't really know what that is, but it sounds interesting. I'm in!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #504 on: January 08, 2013, 09:59:36 PM »
Geddy Lee is going to be on How I Met Your Mother. I've never really followed the show, but I'm sure it will be awesome.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #505 on: January 08, 2013, 10:27:46 PM »
Geddy Lee is going to be on How I Met Your Mother. I've never really followed the show, but I'm sure it will be awesome.

Its the last Robin Sparkles themed episode, shes canadian. Its cool to see the biggest band on that show, really cool its a robin episods too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #506 on: January 09, 2013, 12:51:47 AM »
This is fantastic news, as it's my favorite current tv show.

Let's go to the mall.....TODAY!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: January 09, 2013, 05:48:10 AM »

That's so cool.  I love that show.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #508 on: January 09, 2013, 11:22:58 PM »
So I was looking at Rush's Discography and I saw that Different Stages had not only tons of live material, but the entirety of 2112. Was it discontinued or something? I looked it up on Amazon and it was like $80 new. What's the deal-io?

That sounds pricey to me.  I'm not sure if it was discontinued.  I was at that show for the recording of 2112.  6th row.  One of the best shows I've ever saw.

I've read in a few places that Different Stages is now out of print (as are Geddy and Alex's solo albums although some of you may not shed a tear over that) If true it might be the first Rush album to go that way. (I suppose it's possible Vapor Trails and Feedback are out of print, but I really don't know as I haven't checked.)

Offline snowdog

« Reply #509 on: January 10, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »
as well as "Chain Lightning" with it's backwards-recorded guitar solo!

I never knew that.  Is that what has prevented that song from being played live?  I've always felt it was on of the best tracks on the record.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #510 on: January 10, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »
Looking at amazon, Different Stages is not available right now to buy as a physical copy (unless you want to pay an arm and a leg to an individual seller), but you can still buy the individual tracks from amazon for 99 cents each.  I suspect a lot of CDs over time will suffer the same treatment, as purchases of physical copies continue to plummet.

I've always thought Chain Lightning was one of the best songs on Presto (along with The Pass and Available Light), but I get why it has never been played live. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #511 on: January 10, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »

I follow it and... :jawdrop:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #512 on: January 10, 2013, 09:08:20 AM »
I've always thought Chain Lightning was one of the best songs on Presto (along with The Pass and Available Light), but I get why it has never been played live.
Kev, I would like to point out that we are in agreement (how about that?) on Chain Lightning. And Available Light for that matter. I think Available Light is criminally underrated. Both are great songs.

But sorry, I still do not get the love for The Pass.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #513 on: January 10, 2013, 10:09:46 AM »
as well as "Chain Lightning" with it's backwards-recorded guitar solo!

I never knew that.  Is that what has prevented that song from being played live?  I've always felt it was on of the best tracks on the record.

Perhaps? Well, what the solo was, Alex recorded the solo played forward, then played that back in reverse. Then he learned the melody in reverse, recorded THAT, then played THAT backwards for the final solo, resulting in the original solo (note-wise), but an unusual sound about it where the notes have a reversed-decay effect.

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: January 10, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »

It's funny but when you own all the albums you never check to see if they are out of date.  But seeing kids get into Rush and then reading it just seems weird.

I've read in a few places that Different Stages is now out of print (as are Geddy and Alex's solo albums although some of you may not shed a tear over that) If true it might be the first Rush album to go that way. (I suppose it's possible Vapor Trails and Feedback are out of print, but I really don't know as I haven't checked.)

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #515 on: January 11, 2013, 04:31:28 AM »
Just to let you all know, there's a few preliminary polls running now, ahead of the main survivor starting on Monday.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #516 on: January 11, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #517 on: January 11, 2013, 01:50:43 PM »
Wow, it was recorded three months after DT's Luna Park shows and could actually be released before DT?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #518 on: January 11, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »
Yeah that's strange.....it says that Dallas will be the main footage, but I hope they can find it in their hearts to put Middletown Dreams in there.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #519 on: January 11, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
My hopes are that the Dallas show will be the main concert on the DVD, and the non-Dallas songs played in Phoenix will be bonus footage as part of the extras of the DVD. For a CD release, well I posted a few pages back what I hope about that, and hope that it's a SWEET 3 CD release with ALL 29 songs! Bonus points if they toss on "Working Man" and "Limelight" from other shows prior to Phoenix/Dallas.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #520 on: January 11, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
"Clockwork Angels Live" is really the best title for it they could come up with?  That's as unimaginative as the "Snakes and Arrows Live" one.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #521 on: January 11, 2013, 02:33:44 PM »
Yeah Rush doesn't really get down on creative live album titles.....they usually just name them after the tour or city.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #522 on: January 11, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »
They did do well with All The World's A Stage, Exit Stage Left, and A Show Of Hands.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #523 on: January 11, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »
They did do well with All The World's A Stage, Exit Stage Left, and A Show Of Hands.

And even Different Stages was okay, which  brought back the trend of using "Stage" as part of the live album name that was dropped with ASOH.

Rush In Rio was alright, but since then, they've been lacking. And at least with S&A Live and the upcoming CA Live sets, they really can be called that, given the amount of material from those albums being performed live.

-Marc.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #524 on: January 11, 2013, 03:06:19 PM »
Holy Crap!  :omg:

I never realized the pun on the word "stage" in Different Stages.  There was live material from two different stages in their career, but I never put it together with "stage" as in "stage left".

Thank you, Marc