Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497835 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #420 on: December 14, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #421 on: December 14, 2012, 07:51:48 AM »
 :lol
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2012, 09:09:26 PM »
Plus ca change
Plus c'est la meme chose.

Patiently waiting until midnight to commence cranking 2112.....

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #423 on: December 22, 2012, 09:31:44 AM »
This interview/special from last night is EPIC.  Some awesome extremely rare material.  First time Tom Sawyer was played, Garden Road, wow...  I'm only a half hour in.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/12/22/3446/Eddie-Trunks-Holiday-Rush-radio-special-and-Alex-Lifeson-interview

Offline Ruba

« Reply #424 on: December 22, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
Rush is to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Yes!!!!!!!

Oh, and I have found that I'm definately not an atheist. I believe in The Holy Trinity of Neil Peart, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson  :biggrin:.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #425 on: December 26, 2012, 07:59:34 AM »
I am now downloading a 22GB Blu Ray bootleg from the previous 2011 tour, the show at the MSG. Needless to say, I am extremely excited! :caffeine:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #426 on: December 26, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »
I am now downloading a 22GB Blu Ray bootleg from the previous 2011 tour, the show at the MSG. Needless to say, I am extremely excited! :caffeine:

That is a great bootleg. I don't have the Blu Ray capabilities, but the video is awesome!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #427 on: December 26, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
So I like to dream up great what-if scenarios, and here's one I have had on my mind lately - What if Rush had released an epic triple vinyl live album after their immense Tour Of The Hemispheres?

Side 1:
Anthem
By-Tor & The Snow Dog
Xanadu

Side 2:
Something for Nothing
The Trees
Cygnus X-1

Side 3:
Hemispheres
Closer To The Heart

Side 4:
Circumstances
A Farewell To Kings
La Villa Strangiato

Side 5:

Side 6:
A Passage To Bangkok
Working Man
Bastille Day
In The Mood
Drum Solo

It's a complete show, with the only exception being that Side 6 opens with APTB, which originally sat between "Anthem" and "By-Tor & The Snow Dog". Moving it from Side 1 to Side 6 makes it so that each side of vinyl is around or under 20 minutes in length.

Had the band released a live album like this in 1979, it would've rivaled such live albums as Yessongs and Seconds out for the best live prog album of the 70's!!!

Thankfully there are plenty of live bootlegs with A+ sound quality out there, especially the Tucson, AZ show, which I am currently listening to. Great soundboard (A Desert Passage Platinum Edition) with a full show! One of my favorite boots ever, and definitely a gem of the period.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #428 on: December 26, 2012, 05:07:40 PM »
I would buy that in a heartbeat, but I really don't think it exists, even in the Rush vaults sadly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #429 on: December 26, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »
I would buy that in a heartbeat, but I really don't think it exists, even in the Rush vaults sadly.

True, and the best we can do is the really good soundboards that have managed to be released over the years, which I have many of (from all their tours). It would be an amazing feat if Rush could pull out a full soundboard to represent each tour and sell them!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #430 on: December 26, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

Thankfully there are plenty of live bootlegs with A+ sound quality out there, especially the Tucson, AZ show, which I am currently listening to. Great soundboard (A Desert Passage Platinum Edition) with a full show! One of my favorite boots ever, and definitely a gem of the period.

-Marc.
I am partial to the Boston 1-11-79 show. I cannot imagine seeing them at the Orpheum.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #431 on: December 26, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »
Also, imagine if Rush had released albums between every 3 albums instead of four? We'd have the following tours released in full (or mostly full):
Caress Of Steel (oooh man a whole headlining show would be amazing!)
Hemispheres (as mentioned above)
Signals (which was a great tour, featured 7/8ths of Signals and 6/7ths Moving Pictures)
Hold Your Fire (well we got ASOH, but the whole show would've been awesome)
Counterparts (another great tour, also featured "Xanadu" and "Hemispheres: Prelude"!)

-Marc.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #432 on: December 26, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »
A Caress of Steel tour soundboard would be so awesome.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #433 on: December 26, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »
What's the difference between an audience recording and a soundboard recording from the Caress of Steel tour?

Soundboards exist because they actually showed up to the shows.

Zing!

(I realize this isn't the case, but in my head it was funny anyway)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #434 on: December 26, 2012, 10:06:30 PM »
Also, imagine if Rush had released albums between every 3 albums instead of four? We'd have the following tours released in full (or mostly full):
Caress Of Steel (oooh man a whole headlining show would be amazing!)
Hemispheres (as mentioned above)
Signals (which was a great tour, featured 7/8ths of Signals and 6/7ths Moving Pictures)
Hold Your Fire (well we got ASOH, but the whole show would've been awesome)
Counterparts (another great tour, also featured "Xanadu" and "Hemispheres: Prelude"!)

-Marc.

They didn't headline too many shows on the Caress of Steel Tour. They were still mostly an opening band then.

There was that long held rumor of the 1-10-76 show recording, but I think this rumor has finally been shot down a few years back.

I am partial to the Boston 1-11-79 show. I cannot imagine seeing them at the Orpheum.

That's a pretty cool show. I'd only just gotten it a few years ago. I think it's only surfaced within the last five years or so.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #435 on: December 26, 2012, 10:08:18 PM »
What's the difference between an audience recording and a soundboard recording from the Caress of Steel tour?

Soundboards exist because they actually showed up to the shows.

Zing!

(I realize this isn't the case, but in my head it was funny anyway)

:lol :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #436 on: December 26, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »

That's a pretty cool show. I'd only just gotten it a few years ago. I think it's only surfaced within the last five years or so.

It must be pretty recent because it's not even on the DRE. Was the Boston boot a soundboard recording as well? I know there quite a few SBDs from the Hemispheres Tour, and I've heard most of, if not all of them.

-Marc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #437 on: December 27, 2012, 05:33:34 AM »

It must be pretty recent because it's not even on the DRE. Was the Boston boot a soundboard recording as well? I know there quite a few SBDs from the Hemispheres Tour, and I've heard most of, if not all of them.

-Marc.

Anyway, it's definitely an audience, but it is of great quality.
I'm mostly partial to it because it is in my neck of the woods. I just listened to it on a trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago, and I was blown away. What a setlist! As much as I love Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, if I could ever freeze Rush in time, it would easily be the Hemispheres era.
I know I sound critical of Rush at times, but when you listen to what they were doing in 1979, I just don't know how anyone could get excited about ..say Roll The Bones.
I will admit, that even an album like Presto is nice to listen to and they all have their place, but to me, when they turned their back on this era, they really lost me.
Clockwork Angels is so great and Old School, why did we have to wait so damned long for it?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:29:52 AM by TAC »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #438 on: December 27, 2012, 05:59:00 AM »
I tailed off over the years on the Rush boots.  I've got some great ones but with the advent of the DVD's and Blu Ray's every tour there is no need anymore for me at least to buy them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #439 on: December 27, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »

-Marc.

Anyway, it's definitely an audience, but it is of great quality.
I'm mostly partial to it because it is in my neck of the woods. I just listened to it on a trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago, and I was blown away. What a setlist! As much as I love Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, if I could ever freeze Rush in time, it would easily be the Hemispheres era.
I know I sound critical of Rush at times, but when you listen to what they were doing in 1979, I just don't know how anyone could get excited about ..say Roll The Bones.
I will admit, that even an album like Presto is nice to listen to and they all have their place, but to me, when they turned their back on this era, they really lost me.
Clockwork Angels is so great and Old School, why did we have to wait so damned long for it?

I'll see if I can explain this clearly and not meander like I usually do.

I look at it like this. if they went on to do another Hemispheres, they'd have burnt themselves out and that would have been it for them as a band. They took that style and did as much as they could do with it and moved forward. How much of a career would they have had if they kept doing that? Because they are moving forward they seemed to forget about that period and that's probably why Clockwork Angels appeared later, rather than sooner. But I like pretty much everything in between because each effort was honest and organic and that kind of thing excites me. The best part is that if I want to hear something like Hemispheres, I'll just put on Hemispheres.

Admittedly, Roll The Bones is as musically mainstream as they have ever gotten, but by and large what excites me about that album is the lyrics. There are some real gems and that record and most of those have been performed live.  I don't remember Where's My Thing? ever sounding this good and listening to recordings from that tour prove that to me. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Face Up is a masterpiece, even if it does fit the theme of the album.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #440 on: December 27, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »
This interview/special from last night is EPIC.  Some awesome extremely rare material.  First time Tom Sawyer was played, Garden Road, wow...  I'm only a half hour in.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/12/22/3446/Eddie-Trunks-Holiday-Rush-radio-special-and-Alex-Lifeson-interview

Listened to this last night.  Some pretty great stuff. The interview was excellent, though musically they didn't really dig all that deep.  Nevertheless, I hadn't heard such an early version of Tom Sawyer before -- that was definitely interesting.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #441 on: December 27, 2012, 04:49:41 PM »

Where did you get this?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #442 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »

Listened to this last night.  Some pretty great stuff. The interview was excellent, though musically they didn't really dig all that deep.  Nevertheless, I hadn't heard such an early version of Tom Sawyer before -- that was definitely interesting.

That's from the 9/30/80 show in Allentown, Pa. I believe.

Rush did a warm-up tour in September of  that year and road-tested versions of Tom Sawyer and Limelight before releasing Moving Pictures in February 1981.

It's kind of strange to hear Limelight without the iconic solo that many know and love.

I hope Mike takes over the programming of that show next year. It will be magnitudes more interesting if he did.

Although the stuff from Mike's vault wasn't all that rare for the hardcore Rush geeks, It was a good call for those new/casual fans that didn't know this stuff existed.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #443 on: December 30, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »
So, can someone else please tell me that they have noticed this:

Why does the band play the intro of "Far Cry" differently than they do on the album? I'm talking about at the end of the 2nd measure, they un-syncopate a rhythm that is originally syncopated on the album, and instead, play it on straight 8ths (the & of 4 of the 2nd measure, instead of before it).

It bugs me all to hell, especially since they've played it this way on the past 3 tours!

-Marc.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #444 on: December 30, 2012, 07:10:58 PM »
I've always noticed that as well. My guess would be that it's a bit easier to not do it that way? I don't really have an idea though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #445 on: December 30, 2012, 07:20:42 PM »
I've always noticed that as well. My guess would be that it's a bit easier to not do it that way? I don't really have an idea though.

What's weird is, when they revisit those accents at the END of the song, they play the 2nd measure correctly/as on the album! :facepalm:

-Marc.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #446 on: December 30, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »
Maybe their producer had them play it like that in the studio, but then they played it how they originally wanted to play it live.

[/Total unfounded speculation]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:27:05 PM by Cedar redaC »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #447 on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:37 PM »
I didn't notice that they did/did not do it at the reprise part. That's weird, for sure.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #448 on: December 30, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »
I didn't notice that they did/did not do it at the reprise part. That's weird, for sure.

My best guess is that they play it on straight 8ths just to get the tempo right at the start of the song, but when they reprise it later on before the guitar solo and at the end of the song, they (sometimes) do it as on the album.

-Marc.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: January 05, 2013, 04:51:27 AM »
https://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/rush.html

"Do you have a modern day warrior putting up a fight at bedtime? Looking for a reliable way to put baby to sleep and not some fly by night sandman? Try Rockabye Baby’s tender lullaby versions of Rush’s hard rock hits. This magic music will bring your baby closer to the heart of slumberland."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: January 05, 2013, 06:20:45 AM »
I'm reading Neil Peart's healing book. Has any of you read it?
- Marco

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: January 05, 2013, 06:26:18 AM »
https://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/rush.html

"Do you have a modern day warrior putting up a fight at bedtime? Looking for a reliable way to put baby to sleep and not some fly by night sandman? Try Rockabye Baby’s tender lullaby versions of Rush’s hard rock hits. This magic music will bring your baby closer to the heart of slumberland."

I'll have to take a listen out of curiosity. The PF and Tool ones weren't that bad.

Nope but I should check it out, I have a $25 barnes and noble card just sitting here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #452 on: January 05, 2013, 07:40:08 AM »
The only book I've read of his was Ghost Rider.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »

It's the one I'm speaking of  :tup

It's quite beautiful, really. Neil's earning my utmost respect, personally.
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #454 on: January 05, 2013, 09:49:57 AM »

That's the book he's referring to, I believe, which has the full title Ghost Rider: Travels On The Healing Road. No, it's not a "healing book", where Neil talks about how he can heal people through the miracle of his drumming.

Anyways, I've read that book (as well as his Traveling Music book), and it's a great read. I was reading it after a tough relationship ended some years ago, and it helped me gain some perspective on myself and life, and Neil has a lot to say in only the way he can say it. He can be a bit wordy, but once you get past all that, and appreciate his journey and anecdotes on his travels and encounters, you realize he just wants to be a normal guy on a motorcycle like so many people. Great book and I highly recommend it for fans of Neil who want better insight into who he has become today.

-Marc.