Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490125 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »
Ghost Rider and Earthshine aren't set closers, so those aren't good choices to replace Far Cry.  And if they play One Little Victory again, much less in a prime spot like closing the set or in the encore, I will not be happy. That song wasn't good enough to survive three tours, much less get the great spots in the sets it got each time.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2012, 09:33:15 AM »
One Little Victory is an awesome song. No idea what you're on about with that.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »
Ghost Rider and Earthshine aren't set closers, so those aren't good choices to replace Far Cry.  And if they play One Little Victory again, much less in a prime spot like closing the set or in the encore, I will not be happy. That song wasn't good enough to survive three tours, much less get the great spots in the sets it got each time.

Okay, maybe not "Ghost Rider", but I think "Earthshine" would be a killer rocking way to end a set. Or maybe pull something else out from VT or S&A to close set 1...anything but "Far Cry", but I suppose, since it was their last studio album, they just *have* to include something from it and that seemed like a good choice.

I wonder if we'll ever see any more new/unplayed songs from VT and/or S&A at some point in future tours? I mean, we did get "Faithless" on the Time Machine Tour, so it's possible they could pull a "Between Sun And Moon" and bring out something like "Vapor Trail" or "Nocturne" or "Bravest Face" or "Good News First" in the coming tours.

Of course, my REAL wish would be for them to play the whole "Fear Series" in order:
The Enemy Within
The Weapon
Witch Hunt
Freeze

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »
I love Earthshine, but it is a better middle of the set song than a set closer.  And frankly, with all of songs from CA they are playing, I'd be fine with nothing else from the last 10 years. 

One Little Victory's intro is awesome, but the rest of the song is very, very average.  The verses feature some of the ugliest vocal melodies Rush has ever done (almost as bad as the ones in Slime and Motion).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2012, 09:54:40 AM »
I love Earthshine, but it is a better middle of the set song than a set closer.  And frankly, with all of songs from CA they are playing, I'd be fine with nothing else from the last 10 years. 

One Little Victory's intro is awesome, but the rest of the song is very, very average.  The verses feature some of the ugliest vocal melodies Rush has ever done (almost as bad as the ones in Slime and Motion).

Just curious, Kev... If you could pick one unplayed VT track to see live, which would it be?

For me, it would either be "Freeze" or "Vapor Trail".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »
Vapor Trail probably.  I'd say Freeze, but I think it might be difficult to pull off live without all of Alex's guitar stuff sounding messy.

Online Mladen

« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
Any song from Vapor trails would be awesome, I love that album. And I'm trilled that Far cry is in the set list, it's one of their catchiest tunes.  :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »

One thing is certain. There won't be an R40.

I am not convinced.  Neil said in an interview around the CA release time that they had the next few years all mapped out already, so I could see them touring this year/the beginning of next year, doing another leg next summer and then doing a 40th anniversary tour in 2014.  Plus, that might explain the lack of standards this year.  They played a ton of standards in '10 and '11 and would likely have to play a ton of them on a R40 tour, so with them drawing nearer to the finish line, they might have looked at the current tour as their last chance to dive into some deep cuts and not play as many standards, hence the current set lists.  They couldn't get away with that on a possible R40 tour, where standards would be expected, and rightfully so.

There won't be a tour in 2014. Neil said 2012 and 2013 are all mapped out.

2014 is the R and R year. I'm sure they will offered an aircraft carrier's worth of money to tempt them though.

I don't want Limelight anywhere near this set. I'm stoked to hear Far Cry again.

If anyone cares VH1 Classic is celebrating Rush Hashanah again....

Not much of an effort this time around. Kind of lazy , actually.
Three programs in rotation and the only show with videos doesn't even show complete videos, just long clips.

I guess that's VH1 Classic for you. They don't even bother playing actual videos much anymore these days anyway.

7:00 PM Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage   
9:30 PM  Rush: Time Machine 
12:00 AM  Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage   
2:30 AM  Box Set: Rush 
3:30 AM  Rush: Time Machine 
6:00 AM  Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage   
8:30 AM  Rush: Time Machine 
11:00 AM  Box Set: Rush 
12:00 PM Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage   
2:30 PM Rush: Time Machine 
5:00 PM  Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage   

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
^ I know they've mapped out the next few years, but hAve they said what that plan is? Wasn't aware if so

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »
Just because they have 2012 and 2013 mapped out doesn't mean 2014 is out as a working year.  Besides, Neil said in the interview that I saw that they have the next two years planned out.  That could mean the summer of 2012 through the summer of 2014, not necessarily 2012 and 2013.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
Just because they have 2012 and 2013 mapped out doesn't mean 2014 is out as a working year.  Besides, Neil said in the interview that I saw that they have the next two years planned out.  That could mean the summer of 2012 through the summer of 2014, not necessarily 2012 and 2013.

It could, but I think that when he said it (early spring I think) meant that 2012 and 2013 were work (calendar) years. I have no doubt that they will be offered more money than any of us will see in a lifetime to tour in 2014, but I don't think it means they will.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2012, 09:06:41 AM »
I am seeing Rush tonight.  I know you are all jealous. :biggrin: :coolio :hat

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »
Have a great time :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Beautiful Agony

• My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »
I am too!   ;D :metal

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2012, 01:50:23 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2012, 02:35:32 PM »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »
I've always been too loud to be invisible. :lol

My favorite air drumming in the car with gas and brake pedals as bass drum peddles is Asia, Wildest Dreams.  The drum brake part.  Drives my wife nuts! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2012, 11:34:46 PM »
Stellar show tonight, as expected.  Rush never fail to bring it when it comes to putting on a great live show.

The set list has been a bit of a love or hate thing for people, but it totally works.  Even all of the new songs in a row works well, considering how strong all of the material is, although the obvious live standouts were Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist and Headlong Flight.  Wish Them Well was phenomenal as well, and The Garden is such a great closer, and did a great job at "closing out" the long stretch of new songs.

I like Middletown Dreams more than Grand Designs in general, but the latter is the better live song; I can see now why it, not the other, is getting the every night treatment.

People can bitch all they want about songs like Dreamline, Red Sector A and The Big Money being overplayed live, but they are all always great live tunes. 

We got The Spirit of Radio instead of Working Man at the end of the second set (THANK GOD!!), and also got The Pass instead of Bravado (I love both, but was thrilled we got The Pass). 

Geddy's voice sounded surprisingly good.  I have to think that doing shows no more than every other night and the material they are doing is a huge reason why.  If he was having to wail a bunch of those really old songs every night, his voice would be gone by the third week of the tour, but they have done this really smart this time around.

Overall, just a great, great show!! :metal :hat

Online Mladen

« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2012, 01:49:57 AM »
We got The Spirit of Radio instead of Working Man at the end of the second set (THANK GOD!!), and also got The Pass instead of Bravado (I love both, but was thrilled we got The Pass). 
Wow, you were really lucky. Nice review.  :tup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
Nice review. I'm going on Wednesday to see them!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »
More comments on the show:

-I usually get a big kick of the pre-set videos the band does, but the ones this time around did nothing for me.

-After one song, Geddy had an issue with one of his ear monitors, so while he was at the side of the stage with the tech guys for two minutes getting it fixed, Alex and Neil did some fun little jam that had the crowd clapping along.  Neil almost looked disappointed when Geddy was back, like, "Aw, we were having fun doing that!" :coolio

-Carnies doesn't work well live 'cause Alex doesn't play the main guitar lick as is. I am guessing the studio version is ripe with overdubs, and him doing the vibrato at the end every time he plays that riff makes it too difficult to then slide back into the main riff or whatever clean line he is playing immediately after, so he avoids the vibrato, which takes away a lot of the bite of the song.

-Good to see that a lot of fans knew to raise their hands following the "The people raise their hands" line in Clockwork Angels, although some had to have Geddy do it first to know to do it. :lol

-The return of The Analog Kid has been overlooked and/or glossed over way too much.  Such an awesome live song, that chorus is killer live with the lights (or lasers back in the day) and Alex's guitar solo is absolutely smoking.  He got a standing ovation for it. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2012, 01:06:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to the show tonight. Really pumped. Excited to see Red Sector A
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2012, 09:33:14 AM »

-Carnies doesn't work well live 'cause Alex doesn't play the main guitar lick as is. I am guessing the studio version is ripe with overdubs, and him doing the vibrato at the end every time he plays that riff makes it too difficult to then slide back into the main riff or whatever clean line he is playing immediately after, so he avoids the vibrato, which takes away a lot of the bite of the song.

I was at the StL show, as well.  I actually liked Carnies better live than studio.  However, it seems like I prefer almost all songs in a live setting, as opposed to the studio.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »
The ending of Carnies is bananas live, with the pyro and all, but I thought that that, The Wreckers and Halo Effect definitely came off the least best of the new songs (and were the least well-received of the new ones as well).  To appease those bitching about too many new songs, I think they could have play the following at the start of Set 2:

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Headlong Flight
Wish Them Well
The Garden

And all would be good.  They could then play Dreamline and Manhattan Project every night, and then throw in two more older songs near the end of the set to make it a bit more well-rounded.

Don't get me wrong, I think the set list as is works extremely well, but I am just offering a way it could have been even better.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »
The ending of Carnies is bananas live, with the pyro and all, but I thought that that, The Wreckers and Halo Effect definitely came off the least best of the new songs (and were the least well-received of the new ones as well).  To appease those bitching about too many new songs, I think they could have play the following at the start of Set 2:

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Headlong Flight
Wish Them Well
The Garden

And all would be good.  They could then play Dreamline and Manhattan Project every night, and then throw in two more older songs near the end of the set to make it a bit more well-rounded.

Don't get me wrong, I think the set list as is works extremely well, but I am just offering a way it could have been even better.

GOTTA have Seven Cities in there!

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2012, 01:10:27 PM »
Yeah the ending of Carnies might have tainted my memory of the song as a whole.  It was a pretty badass ending.  I loved the setlist.  They played 3 or 4 songs from the best RUSH album.  I also wouldn't have minded if they just went ahead and played all of Clockwork Angels.  It seemed to be pretty well received.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Headlong Flight
Wish Them Well
The Garden

The Wreckers got a fantastic reception in Manchester, and pulling the tours lead single (it was released a week or so before the tour I think) would make absolutely no sense. They should be playing as much new material as they can. The only good reason for them to play less new material now is if they plan to do the whole album on the second leg.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:45:00 AM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2012, 11:28:33 PM »
I generally agree.  All I meant was, if they had to par it down from nine to six new songs, the three that should go should be obvious to me, although they'd likely keep The Wreckers (since it is the current single) over Wish Them Well. 

And while I have grown to really like the studio version of Halo Effect, that was probably the one new song that didn't do much for me live.  It kind of has that "it has a lot of strings, and we are featuring a string section on this tour, so we might as well play it" feel to it.

But again, I was blown away by how awesome Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist and Headlong Flight all were live. :metal :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »
Okay, here is me taking a crack at ranking the CA songs:

1. Clockwork Angels
2. The Garden
3. The Anarchist
4. Headlong Flight
5. Wish Them Well
6. Carnies
7. Seven Cities of Gold
8. Caravan
9. The Wreckers
10. Halo Effect
11. BU2B
12. BU2B2

Online Mladen

« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »
Ooh! I'll give it a shot as well...

1. Caravan
2. The Garden
3. Clockwork angels
4. BU2B
5. The Wreckers
6. Wish them well
7. Headlong flight
8. Seven cities of gold
9. Carnies
10. The Anarchist
11. BU2B2
12. Halo effect

Wow, that was actually much easier than I thought.  ;D I feel weird for having Caravan as my number one, but I really like that one the most.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
1. Clockwork Angels
2. The Garden
3. The Wreckers
4. The Anarchist
5. Headlong Flight
6. Carnies
7. BU2B
8. Caravan
9. Halo Effect
10. Seven Cities of Gold
11. Wish Them Well
12. BU2B2

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
I've added a poll to the thread themed to kinda go with the ranking Kev has started.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »
The Garden
Headlong Flight
Caravan
The Wreckers
Clockwork Angels
Wish Them Well
BU2B
Halo Effect
Carnies
The Anarchist
BU2B2

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
Allow me:

1. The Wreckers
2. Caravan
3. Halo Effect
4. The Garden
5. Clockwork Angels
6. The Anarchist
7. Headlong Flight (This used to be around number 10 unti l saw it live)
8. Wish Them Well (Could easily be switched with number 7 on any given day)
9.  BU2B
10. Carnies
11.  BU2B2
12.  Seven Cities of Gold