Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490334 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »
I actually heard a rumor that Tai Shan was going to be the opener on the 2nd North American leg...

:smiley:
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2012, 10:42:51 PM »
I heard in addition that I Think I'm Going Bald was opening the 2nd set, and that Rivendell is going to be the sole song in the encore.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »
Lakeside Park as the encore.

(Actually, I love that song)
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2012, 10:45:05 PM »
Guys guys guys...don't forget the Acoustic Set of "Tears", "Nobody's Hero" and "Panacea"!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »
You Bet Your Life might be on the set too, I'm not sure
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2012, 11:58:23 PM »
Updated A and B set lists:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2012, 05:36:15 AM »
I can't imagine "The Garden" not immediately following "Wish Them Well."  It also doesn't help that I just fell completely in love with that song and really want to see it live.  Glad to know that if I do see them in Charlotte I'll get to see 2112 with the Grand Finale though.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »
Rush why you mess with my head <_>
cant follow all these set lists xP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2012, 10:55:03 AM »
Rush why you mess with my head <_>
cant follow all these set lists xP

:lol It is pretty different. After tonight, there may be up to 4 different set lists over the first four nights of the tour! We won't know for sure what their final A/B sets will look like until at least (I'd safely say) 4 more shows into the tour (after tonight, that is).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »
So, here's a hypothetical for you all...

If the band decide to play most of another 80's album on the NEXT tour (or maybe even LEG of this tour), which would it be?

I ask this because, since the Vapor Trails Tour, they've played 7 out of 8 songs from Power Windows - "The Big Money" on the Vapor Trails Tour, "Mystic Rhythms" on the R30 Tour, and "Marathon" on the Time Machine Tour...and now with the Clockwork Angels Tour, they've brought back the remaining four songs that they've played live, 2 of which were ONLY ever played on the Power Windows Tour (being "Middletown Dreams" and "Grand Designs").

If they pay homage to Signals, we could see the return of "Chemistry", "The Weapon", "New World Man" and "Countdown".

If they pay homage to Grace Under Pressure, they could play "Afterimage", "The Enemy Within", "Kid Gloves" and "Red Lenses".

If they pay homage to Hold Your Fire, they might do "Lock And Key", "Prime Mover", "Turn The Page" and "Mission".

Which of the above sets of four songs would YOU like to see them play if they decide to saturate the set list with another 80's album?

Keep in mind, I picked those songs based on what they haven't played live since the VT Tour (although in the case of SIG, "New World Man" would be brought back from the VT Tour, while the GUP choices haven't been played since the 80's, and for HYF, "Mission" would return from the S&A Tour), and I only picked songs they HAVE played live because, as it stands, the band STILL hasn't played "Emotion Detector".

-Marc.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
Interesting that they've completely axed The Spirit Of Radio now.....very interesting. I'd still take 'B' simply because of The Pass and Dreamline.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
Rush is actually one of the few bands where one of the big hits is also my favorite. They have loads of awesome songs, but Tom Sawyer just pretty much has it all for me. There's not a single riff or melody in the song that I don't like, it's really an awesome tune.

After that one it gets tougher. Natural Science, Xanadu, Cygnus, Freewill and La Villa Strangiato are up there as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »
I still think The Spirit of Radio and Limelight will both eventually find their way back into the set lists on this tour.  The Spirit of Radio has already been played once, and Limelight was supposedly the last song dropped from it at the last minute, so I think they'll eventually get a sense that they need one or both of those staples back in there to make fans happy.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »

If the band decide to play most of another 80's album on the NEXT tour (or maybe even LEG of this tour), which would it be?

I ask this because, since the Vapor Trails Tour, they've played 7 out of 8 songs from Power Windows - "The Big Money" on the Vapor Trails Tour, "Mystic Rhythms" on the R30 Tour, and "Marathon" on the Time Machine Tour...and now with the Clockwork Angels Tour, they've brought back the remaining four songs that they've played live, 2 of which were ONLY ever played on the Power Windows Tour (being "Middletown Dreams" and "Grand Designs").

If they pay homage to Signals, we could see the return of "Chemistry", "The Weapon", "New World Man" and "Countdown".

If they pay homage to Grace Under Pressure, they could play "Afterimage", "The Enemy Within", "Kid Gloves" and "Red Lenses".

If they pay homage to Hold Your Fire, they might do "Lock And Key", "Prime Mover", "Turn The Page" and "Mission".

Which of the above sets of four songs would YOU like to see them play if they decide to saturate the set list with another 80's album?

Keep in mind, I picked those songs based on what they haven't played live since the VT Tour (although in the case of SIG, "New World Man" would be brought back from the VT Tour, while the GUP choices haven't been played since the 80's, and for HYF, "Mission" would return from the S&A Tour), and I only picked songs they HAVE played live because, as it stands, the band STILL hasn't played "Emotion Detector".

-Marc.

I would have to give a preference to P/G...if only because I *really* want to see the entire Fear suite performed live.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2012, 02:15:07 PM »
I still think The Spirit of Radio and Limelight will both eventually find their way back into the set lists on this tour.  The Spirit of Radio has already been played once, and Limelight was supposedly the last song dropped from it at the last minute, so I think they'll eventually get a sense that they need one or both of those staples back in there to make fans happy.

If so, I hope that happens in November, AFTER I've seen them two or three times.

One thing is certain. There won't be an R40.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »

One thing is certain. There won't be an R40.

I am not convinced.  Neil said in an interview around the CA release time that they had the next few years all mapped out already, so I could see them touring this year/the beginning of next year, doing another leg next summer and then doing a 40th anniversary tour in 2014.  Plus, that might explain the lack of standards this year.  They played a ton of standards in '10 and '11 and would likely have to play a ton of them on a R40 tour, so with them drawing nearer to the finish line, they might have looked at the current tour as their last chance to dive into some deep cuts and not play as many standards, hence the current set lists.  They couldn't get away with that on a possible R40 tour, where standards would be expected, and rightfully so.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »

-Marc.
I'd want G/P. Signals and Power Windows would be nice too.But please not Hold Your Fire, the less from that album, the better, in my opinion.

Also, perhaps the only deep track from the 80's missing on this tour is Losing It. Now would've been the perfect time. Can't complain though, this setlist is great.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
Hold Your Fire would be my pick, but Grace Under Pressure is the more likely choice.  The Enemy Within, Kid Gloves and Red Lenses are all songs that could work well live again.  I doubt Afterimage will be played again.

Countdown and Chemistry probably have no chance of ever being played again, and if they were gonna play Losing It ever, it would have been this year, so Signals is out.

Them going with the "safe" HYF pick on this tour probably shows that they don't have much interest in going real deep on that record past the Big Three.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
Regarding tour "staples," I wouldn't be that surprised if they just decided that Subdivisions should be the new Limelight.  It got that songwriting award, and its always been a bit hit since they brought it back. 

Kev, Assuming the "big three" is Force Ten, Lock and Key, and Turn the Page, you forgot that Mission is a kickass tune that they played in '07. 

As for more 80s material, I'd go for P/G, personally, though I'd rather have a good mix of all their 80s albums.  Go for the whole Fear Suite, bring back Lock and Key and Turn the Page, and maybe go for a song off Counterparts that isn't Stick it Out or LTTA.

Speaking of the 90s, why is no one talking about how cool it is for them to bring back Where's My Thing?  Its an awesome tune and I'm really glad they're looking into deep cuts from RTB.  I'm hoping for more Counterparts as always though!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
I'd love to hear "The Big Wheel".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2012, 05:38:12 PM »

Kev, Assuming the "big three" is Force Ten, Lock and Key, and Turn the Page, you forgot that Mission is a kickass tune that they played in '07. 

Smartass. :lol

Speaking of the 90s, why is no one talking about how cool it is for them to bring back Where's My Thing?  Its an awesome tune and I'm really glad they're looking into deep cuts from RTB.  I'm hoping for more Counterparts as always though!

Agreed!  The returns of both Where's My Thing and The Analog Kid are great and long overdue, but they seem to have gotten lost in the chatter about all of the Power Windows songs and the lack of standards and 70s songs. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »
Oh yeah!  Ever since I heard Analog Kid on Different Stages I've been itching to see it live.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2012, 07:03:26 PM »
I hope I get to hear Bravado on the 24th
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2012, 02:56:52 AM »
I think they've just about hit a perfect balance between the two nights. Sure, we've all got favourites between the either/or songs, but the balance is about right.

I'm glad Red Sector A and Analog Kid are back. Subdivisions is a great opener - it got the best crowd reaction of the night when I saw them on the Time Machine tour.  I'm not overly bothered by the lack of some of the "staples", but it is surprising that there's only 2 pre-MP songs.

in terms of future tours - I'd love to see more of the 90s stuff back. There's some great songs on Presto that are overlooked - Chain Lightning and Superconductor both deserve to come back, and I'd love to see Ghost of a Chance again. Animate is one of my favourite Rush songs, as is Cold Fire. I'd also love to see Prime Mover enter the setlist, and some of the VT songs back - One Little Victory and Secret Touch - as well as songs not yet played - Peaceable Kingdom, Bravest Face and We Hold On.

And Jacob's Ladder. And Xanadu...

But whatever they play will rock  :metal
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2012, 08:36:36 AM »
Since the old Rush thread is locked, can any of the big Rush fans here (I'm looking at you Kev) tell me if CA is worth a purchase? Keep in mind I prefer the 70s stuff by far.

Thanks

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2012, 08:42:17 AM »
Yes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »
Absolutely.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2012, 09:23:43 AM »
Definitely.

-Marc.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2012, 09:27:38 AM »
Indubitably
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
Clockwork Angels is more mature, for lack of a better word, than say, Caress of Steel or 2112. I would definitely go for it, it is a great record!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »
Lakeside Park as the encore.

(Actually, I love that song)

Lakeside Park is one of my favorite Rush songs :), never will happen tho :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »
FYI, in Chicago last night, Set A of the new rotation was played, but The Spirit of Radio replaced Working Man as the 2nd set closer.  I wish they'd make that permanent every night.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2012, 08:50:27 AM »
FYI, in Chicago last night, Set A of the new rotation was played, but The Spirit of Radio replaced Working Man as the 2nd set closer.  I wish they'd make that permanent every night.

IKR?! Well, 5 shows in, 5 different set lists... the boys sure are having fun. Not only is Neil being more improvisational, so are is the whole band with the set list!

Saw this over at RIAB:
New interview with Alex Lifeson from the Detroit Free Press.

QUESTION: The set list seems to still be in flux on these early tour dates, and it's definitely got fans' attention.

ANSWER: What happened is the thing that always happens -- the set was much longer than what we had to limit ourselves to. We didn't want to get rid of those songs, so we picked a Set A and a Set B, and since then we've been tweaking it a bit, playing a couple and moving them around. I mentioned to Ged the other day: It's kind of nice to arrive at a gig in the afternoon and decide which songs to switch out that night and keep it mysterious, especially now that everything is blogged and tweeted and e-mailed.

And it's been a whole set list controversy. Having a deep catalog like this makes it difficult to play enough songs that everybody wants to hear. Everybody has their favored and less favored songs. Rush fans are great at debating the merits of songs. And good at expressing their disappointment and elation. (Laughs)

We don't usually do this type of thing, so we may get back in our usual groove. I'd be an advocate for some other stuff, songs we didn't prepare perhaps.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2012, 09:01:37 AM »
Good to see the band is paying attention to what the fans are saying, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the tweaks are to appease certain parts of the fanbase, like playing 2112 every night now and putting The Spirit of Radio back in.  Really, they should just chuck Far Cry now and replace it with Limelight to the end the first set.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2012, 09:17:58 AM »
Good to see the band is paying attention to what the fans are saying, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the tweaks are to appease certain parts of the fanbase, like playing 2112 every night now and putting The Spirit of Radio back in.  Really, they should just chuck Far Cry now and replace it with Limelight to the end the first set.

I'm okay with "Far Cry", but if you replace it with anything it should be a track from Vapor Trails like "Ghost Rider" or "Earthshine"...or even "One Little Victory".

What they SHOULD do is rotate "The Spirit Of Radio" with "Tom Sawyer" in the encore, then follow it with "2112".

Although I do like the idea of closing the first set with "Limelight", I think they've agreed to put most of the MP material to rest, with the obvious exceptions - "Tom Sawyer", which has been a concert staple and a radio hit, and "YYZ", another concert staple and an easy song to play, ya know, since Geddy doesn't have to sing!

What would've been nice to see/hear would've been more tracks from their 70's albums and/or Permanent Waves!

-Marc.