Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490147 times)

Offline countoftuscany42

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 11:41:37 PM »
Another funny story ytse.  I have a friend who is a pharmacist in Manchester NH.  Some guy told him he's just started a tour and needs something to help him sleep while on the buss.  It's too bumpy he told him.  My buddy asked if he was with Rush and he told him yes.  He pulled out his ticket for Friday and the guy told him to give him his name and he will have two great seats for him waiting at the box office under my bud's name.

How cool is that?!

my question: how did this guy have tickets for Rush but didn't recognize one of the members?  :P

Online The Letter M

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 12:31:01 AM »
Another funny story ytse.  I have a friend who is a pharmacist in Manchester NH.  Some guy told him he's just started a tour and needs something to help him sleep while on the buss.  It's too bumpy he told him.  My buddy asked if he was with Rush and he told him yes.  He pulled out his ticket for Friday and the guy told him to give him his name and he will have two great seats for him waiting at the box office under my bud's name.

How cool is that?!

my question: how did this guy have tickets for Rush but didn't recognize one of the members?  :P

"Touring With Rush" =/= Being a member of Rush

He could've been one of the many stage crew, or instrument techs, that accompany the band on their bus trips across the US during the tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2012, 05:21:10 AM »
Marc is right.  It was a roadie.  I think I would tell you guys if it was Ged, Alex or Neil. :P :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 10:30:13 AM »
ah  :facepalm:  didnt even think of that, my bad  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 03:14:03 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 08:08:56 AM »
I feel like a teenager today.  Not knowing the setlist and the anticipation is killing me!! :metal :metal :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »
Great to see Rush win album of the year!  But how can they award it yet when its only September lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »
Great to see Rush win album of the year!  But how can they award it yet when its only September lol

Maybe it's not the Calendar Year, but the year from Summer 2011-Summer 2012? After all, Geoff Downes was upset that Fly From Here didn't beat Clockwork Angels and Yes' album came out in June of LAST year.  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »
Wait, Downes was really upset about that?  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »
Wait, Downes was really upset about that?  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Read his twitter feed...he was on a tirade about the whole night. He didn't even know (nor seemed to care) who Anathema was, and why they were qualified to win an award.

-Marc.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
Geoff Downes is a silly person.  I have Fly From Here and it's a pretty good album, but it's some of the least prog Yes that I've ever heard, and I've heard it all.  I don't even consider it a prog album.  Good stuff, but not prog.  Clockwork Angels is definitely more prog than Fly From Here, and if Geoff hasn't even heard of Anathema, then he really should just keep quiet.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »
SET LIST SPOILERS...

TSOR and TS are the encore, YYZ is played with real strings, Subdivisions opens the 1st set and Far Cry closes it, and Territories was heard in soundcheck

END SPOILERS!

-Marc.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
According to Rushisaband, the setlist so far is:

Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force Ten
Grand Designs
The Body Electric
Territories
The Analog Kid
Bravado
Where's My Thing? (with drum solo)
Far Cry

(string quartet takes the stage for the second set)
Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect

I am really REALLY surprised to see Where's My Thing, Territories, and The Body Electric.  Looks like they've finally given Freewill and Limelight a break, and that Neil isn't doing a full drum solo anymore?  Surprised not to see Seven Cities so far.  I can imagine that one sounding amazing live.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:05:41 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »
Looks like we've got Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well, and The Garden after Wreckers, going right into Manhattan Project.  Amazingly, there hasn't been a single pre-Signals song yet in the setlist.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »
FYI, this will be my FIRST Rush tour where i will not know the setlist in advance.  Thank you to everyone for keeping the setlist in small type.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »
If setlist.fm is to be believed, we round out the second set with Red Sector A, YYZ, and Working Man, and Tom Sawyer starts the encore.

This is one weird set, man.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »
SETLIST WITH NOTES!!!

DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED!!!!!

https://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/CAtournews.htm

And yes, it's a very weird set list, with only 4 songs (the last four in the show) dating back before Signals! Looks like Geddy is sticking to things that his current vocal range can allow to sing well, but we get 2 from SIG, 2 from GUP, 4(!) from POW, only 1 from HYF, and 2 from RTB, and only 1 song between RTB and S&A!

I suspected they would play 8 or 9 songs from CA, but all in the same set?! Weird! I totally called a drum solo in the middle of "Headlong Flight" though! Disappointed we didn't get "Losing It", unless it is A/B'd with "Manhattan Project", which I would be okay with! I'd also be VERY okay to see "Lock And Key" as a swap-out for "Manhattan Project" - I mean, the song has a string section in it!!!

I can see some of those 2nd set songs being A/B'd, and maybe "The Analog Kid" being A/B'd with another Signals song. Guess we'll find out after Sunday's show in DC!

Just to recap -

No songs except "Working Man" before PEW, and no songs before Signals in the whole show except the last four played.

Of the 25 songs played:
9 from Clockwork Angels
1 from Snakes & Arrows
2 from Roll The Bones
1 from Hold Your Fire
4 from Power Windows
2 from Grace Under Pressure
2 from Signals
2 from Moving Pictures
1 from Permanent Waves
1 from Rush

13 (over half of the set) comes from MP-RTB. What's more of a crime is that only ONE song between RTB and S&A is played, and it's "Far Cry" - not a single tune from CP, TFE or VT!!!

Of the band's 20 albums, only 10 (half of them) are represented in THIS set list, but we can hope for A/B switches, a la the Vapor Trails Tour.

END SPOILERS!!!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:50:48 PM by The Letter M »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
That is DEFINITELY a weird set, but with 4 songs from PoW and all those great CA songs I don't think people can really complain.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
What a great set list and a great show!!  They sounded great.  Too tired to post so I will tomorrow!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »
What a great set list and a great show!!  They sounded great.  Too tired to post so I will tomorrow!

:tup Sounds like you had a great time! Can't wait to read your review tomorrow! Get some rest!

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
Quick note: A thread like this is bound to have spoilers, stay out if you don't want things ruined. I'llbe posting my many thoughts on the showin the next few days.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2012, 12:33:05 AM »
Saw the full setlist and i am deeply upset that i'm missing the show this leg.....i'm definitely catching them next leg and they better not lay a finger on that setlist hahaha

Offline Mladen

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2012, 02:55:09 AM »
I'd love to see that show, incredible set list. Just incredible. I am so seeing them next year, wherever they play.  :metal

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2012, 06:11:58 AM »
I swear if I get a full-time job I really hope my paycheck can cover a sudden gas+ticket expense to see them in Charlotte.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2012, 06:22:36 AM »
Alright.  I won't spoil too much but the show was great.

This setlist is not for the casual fan and I loved it.  Some of the songs I have not seen live since the mid 80's. 

They sounded great. As for the first night of the tour, (this is my 3rd time seeing the opening night of a tour)  they had the usual hiccups.  Neil flubbed 2 songs and I was going to post how dead on Alex was all night till he forgot the solo to the one song that you know they always play.  He let out a big sigh and jumped back into the solo.  Then made gestures to the fans like he forgot the chords back into the verses.  So damn funny. 

I don't want to say much about Neil and the drum solo to spoil his set up of the solo.  It was so damn refreshing how he did it.

Geddy's voice was excellent.  He was hitting the high notes.  Sure they had the "Geddy" back ups but it blended in well.

As for the Strings, they sounded  great and enhanced the back catalog songs they used them on.  Not too much strings but just right.  Also they rocked out on stage too which was very cool.

Overall a fantastic 1st show and for the rest of you, you will love the stage, video's and setlist.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2012, 08:56:02 AM »
Wow, amazing set. I may have to rethink my decision to skip this one.(money thing, all ready spent my concert allotment on Gabriel and Quadrophenia)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2012, 09:52:56 AM »
Quick note: A thread like this is bound to have spoilers, stay out if you don't want things ruined. 

Exactly.  It's not fair to expect all of us to type in little bitty lettering and then have to quote every post just to read it.  I get wanting to go in fresh to a show, but if that is the case, then simply stay out of the thread. :)

My thoughts below, WITH SPOILERS....

-4 songs from Power Windows!!!!!!!  Territories being one of them!  YES!!!!!!!!
-Only one song from the 70s (Working Man) is gonna piss a lot of people off.
-No 2112 at all. :(
-Interesting that the only songs from the new album that they didn't play are BU2B, Seven Cities of Gild and BU2B2.  I just hope that that many new songs in a row is not a buzz kill like 5 songs in a row from S&A was at the start of the 2nd set on that tour.
-The Body Electric and Where's My Thing....niiiiice!
-No Limelight, but someone took a shot of the printed set list, and it was crossed out (it was supposed to be played in between Tom Sawyer and Spirit in the encore).  The theory is that a technical glitch they had in the 2nd set that stopped the show for several minutes forced to them eliminate a song from the set list since they were on a curfew (show had to be done by 11 p.m. local time).
-Overall, a good set list, with tons of new songs and the omission of many standards, so many are gonna be thrown by it.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2012, 10:18:23 AM »
(Spoilers, yada yada)

Am I a bad Rush fan if I say that that setlist, CA songs aside, does nothing for me whatsoever?  80's Rush is fine, but I'm not elated that they're playing half of Power Windows, for instance.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »
-4 songs from Power Windows!!!!!!!  Territories being one of them!  YES!!!!!!!!
-Only one song from the 70s (Working Man) is gonna piss a lot of people off.
I love it when a band decides to shake things up like this. The choices from Power windows are absolutely awesome, I can't wait to see those songs.  :hefdaddy

As for the set list having a very few pre-Signals songs... Well, where were you on the Time machine tour? It always bothers me when people go ''Where are all the classics?'' when the band actually played pretty much only the classics on the previous tour. It's OK if you weren't able to catch one of the shows, but it's not the band's fault.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »
Am I a bad Rush fan if I say that that setlist, CA songs aside, does nothing for me whatsoever?  80's Rush is fine, but I'm not elated that they're playing half of Power Windows, for instance.

Um, yes. :biggrin:

As for the set list having a very few pre-Signals songs... Well, where were you on the Time machine tour? It always bothers me when people go ''Where are all the classics?'' when the band actually played pretty much only the classics on the previous tour. It's OK if you weren't able to catch one of the shows, but it's not the band's fault.

Yep, to the hell with the casual fans, many of whom will cry like little girls over too many new songs being played and will still acted surprised when Fly by Night isn't played. :lol

Also, I was hanging out with a friend last night (he is a few years older than me, has been a Rush fan since the late 70s, and seen them on every tour since '77 or '78, I think), and when we checked out the set list on twitter, his comment was, "Worst set list ever." :lol :lol :lol  He couldn't get past there being nothing from 2112, AFTK or Hemispheres, and I agree that it looks a little odd, but Geddy can't do a lot of those songs justice live anymore, and the synth era has deserved more representation on a tour one of these years, so it is nice to finally see it happen.  I get why old school fans who want a lot of the old stuff played might not be thrilled with this set list, but I think it looks good, and can't wait for our show in two weeks. :metal :metal

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2012, 10:37:39 AM »
Considering that I got Power Windows last summer, it would be great to see half of it in concert. I really want to go to a show now, even if it is $87 bucks for nosebleed tickets.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
I'm glad I looked at the setlist because it got me even more excited for my show next month. I listened to Power Windows last night and those songs are going to be excellent live.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2012, 10:44:15 AM »

Um, yes. :biggrin:

Great, thx

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »
No problemo. :tup :tup

Also, I am seeing online a fair amount of bitching about them playing both The Big Money and Force Ten again, but this is only the second tour out of the five they've done since the four years off that they played either (The Big Money was played on the VT tour; Force Ten on R30).  Granted, if they dropped them both tomorrow for different songs, I'd be fine with it, but I am also fine with them being played, too.  Considering how deep they dug on both P/G and PoW, it is a very slight bummer that they didn't dig deep on Hold Your Fire and play something like Prime Mover or Open Secrets, but beggars can't be choosers. :biggrin:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
Still on road, but just wanna say I'll take a once in a blue moon lerxst on stage joke to Limelight any time.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1