Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496054 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6125 on: October 01, 2022, 08:03:46 PM »
I’m going to change the subject here to open it up to what you guys think.

How many of you think we have a possibility of getting a Signals 40th anniversary box set? Personally, I think the odds are extremely slim. As much as I love that album, I’m thinking their big hurrah boxed sets will be restricted to their “classic period” of 2112-MP.

What do you think?

Probably. It still went Platinum.

I want all of the 2015 Magee masters on CD at least. Even the live albums. Anything else will be icing on the cake for me. Hopefully more live unreleased recordings.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6126 on: October 01, 2022, 08:26:38 PM »
I think Signals will still have a 40th anniversary release. And if the band still had any creative control, I'd say it would have stopped there. But with the record company having the say un this, I believe they'll milk it to the extent that people are buying.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6127 on: November 10, 2022, 11:24:56 AM »
Designs for the statues of Neil Peart to be installed in Lakeside Park revealed:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/design-revealed-for-bronze-neil-peart-statue-in-lakeside-park

Those are really cool!

Offline frogprog

« Reply #6128 on: November 10, 2022, 02:39:38 PM »
Awesome! My wife and I took a segway tour of the area this past summer and the guide was telling us about the proposed statue. He asked me to give a brief description of Neil and his work to other couple on the tour since I was a big fan. They were younger couple and couldn't have cared less about Neil and Rush. The guide was digging my enthusiasm and information though!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6129 on: November 10, 2022, 05:18:28 PM »
I think Signals will still have a 40th anniversary release. And if the band still had any creative control, I'd say it would have stopped there. But with the record company having the say un this, I believe they'll milk it to the extent that people are buying.
I hope they continue releasing them. Would be nice to have professionally recorded and mixed copies from all of their tours. I just wish they had released full shows for each of those releases. Hopefully they will from here on out though I'm not banking on it.

Designs for the statues of Neil Peart to be installed in Lakeside Park revealed:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/design-revealed-for-bronze-neil-peart-statue-in-lakeside-park

Those are really cool!
They look good overall and I like them, and I don't mean to complain, but is it just me or do the faces for Neil make him look like an old elderly man? Especially the "modern" one, but even the 70s era one makes him look older than someone in his 20s.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6130 on: November 10, 2022, 05:22:07 PM »
In fairness, does this really look like a 25-26yo?

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6131 on: November 10, 2022, 05:39:54 PM »
In fairness, does this really look like a 25-26yo?

Honestly? Yes. The mustache may age him a bit but not much. Compare that photo to the brass statue and you'll see the face of the statue looks way older than that photo. Look at the eyebags and wrinkles down from his nose to each side of his mouth.

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6132 on: November 12, 2022, 06:40:51 PM »

Those are really cool!

It looks great! Very tasteful. Perhaps I'll make it back up there one day.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6133 on: November 12, 2022, 07:15:25 PM »
Here's a tease of a show recorded a few weeks before 2112 was released when Rush was on a bill with Kansas and Starcastle  I have to think that the whole show is out there and may be released soon. If I'm not mistaken, this is the opening night of the tour and the atmosphere is a bit "loose." There's a brief description of this show in the "Wandering The Face Of The Earth" Book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnEUIeVT-cY

My mind was blown when I first heard this as I'd never heard the song live before. Here's hoping this gets released sooner rather than later.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6134 on: November 12, 2022, 07:19:53 PM »
Wow! That's amazing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6135 on: November 12, 2022, 07:31:45 PM »
Here's a tease of a show recorded a few weeks before 2112 was released when Rush was on a bill with Kansas and Starcastle  I have to think that the whole show is out there and may be released soon. If I'm not mistaken, this is the opening night of the tour and the atmosphere is a bit "loose." There's a brief description of this show in the "Wandering The Face Of The Earth" Book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnEUIeVT-cY

My mind was blown when I first heard this as I'd never heard the song live before. Here's hoping this gets released sooner rather than later.

Is this real?!? For YEARS (and I mean over two decades) of being a fan, I've always read that this and "The Fountain Of Lamneth" were never played live from COS (though I have to believe they at least attempted a full performances of TFOL at some point). This recording sounds AMAZING for its age. I really hope the whole show surfaces soon! Is there any information regarding the setlist?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6136 on: November 12, 2022, 07:33:51 PM »
This recording sounds AMAZING for its age. I really hope the whole show surfaces soon! Is there any information regarding the setlist?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1976/randhurst-twin-ice-arena-mount-prospect-il-3bdb0cc8.html
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6137 on: November 12, 2022, 07:38:40 PM »
This recording sounds AMAZING for its age. I really hope the whole show surfaces soon! Is there any information regarding the setlist?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1976/randhurst-twin-ice-arena-mount-prospect-il-3bdb0cc8.html

Thanks! Looking at the song stats for ITIGB, I see it's listed as having been performed three times. The second show is REALLY interesting, with performances of "Making Memories" and "The Fountain Of Lamneth". Surely this is *THE* Holy Grail show for early Rush bootleg collectors, assuming the setlist is accurate. It looks like a headlining COS Tour show, and I'm sure there weren't many of those.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6138 on: November 12, 2022, 08:04:44 PM »
I live in the Chicago north suburbs and know exactly where that venue is.  Was, actually.  There's a Home Depot there now. :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6139 on: November 12, 2022, 08:13:04 PM »
I just can't pretend to be excited about there now being a live version out there of a song as blah as I'm Think I'm Going Bald. What's next, a rare live version of Rivendell? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6140 on: November 12, 2022, 08:20:34 PM »
I always thought the main riff from I Think I'm Going Bald was basically the main riff from In The Mood, just slightly altered.  The live version wasn't bad, but yeah, a little hard to get excited about even if it's a pretty rare track.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6141 on: November 12, 2022, 09:10:24 PM »
I just can't pretend to be excited about there now being a live version out there of a song as blah as I'm Think I'm Going Bald. What's next, a rare live version of Rivendell? :lol
I don't know. The completionist in me wants at least a bootleg live version of every song Rush ever did. I'd love to have a professional recording of The Fountain of Lamneth and The Necromancer though. And Available Light, but I believe they never did that one live.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6142 on: November 12, 2022, 09:57:03 PM »
To tell you the truth, I think I’m going bald has always been one of my favorites from that album, and I never noticed that the main riff was a rehash of in the mood until somebody pointed it out to me on this forum just a few years ago
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6143 on: November 13, 2022, 06:37:14 AM »
I don't know. The completionist in me wants at least a bootleg live version of every song Rush ever did. I'd love to have a professional recording of The Fountain of Lamneth and The Necromancer though. And Available Light, but I believe they never did that one live.

Correct, Available Light was never played live by the band.  Presto was definitely one of the albums that drew the short straw in the live sets in the 21 century, as The Pass and the title track were the only ones played.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6144 on: November 13, 2022, 07:19:29 AM »
To tell you the truth, I think I’m going bald has always been one of my favorites from that album, and I never noticed that the main riff was a rehash of in the mood until somebody pointed it out to me on this forum just a few years ago

Probably me.  That riff caught my ears right away, but when I mention it to my friends, who are all even bigger Rush fans than me, they're all "What?  Huh, I never noticed."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6145 on: November 13, 2022, 07:56:24 AM »

Probably me.  That riff caught my ears right away, but when I mention it to my friends, who are all even bigger Rush fans than me, they're all "What?  Huh, I never noticed."

When I started diving into Rush over 20 years ago, I felt like I immediately noticed that riff being so similar to "In The Mood". It was weirdly similar to the point of suspecting self-plagiarism. I don't think they did it on purpose, but I found it hilarious either way.

-Marc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #6146 on: November 13, 2022, 12:17:38 PM »
I think you're right, and  :sadpanda: I think it's one of their very best songs, best lyrics, I would have loved to have heard it live. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6147 on: November 13, 2022, 02:53:11 PM »

Thanks! Looking at the song stats for ITIGB, I see it's listed as having been performed three times. The second show is REALLY interesting, with performances of "Making Memories" and "The Fountain Of Lamneth". Surely this is *THE* Holy Grail show for early Rush bootleg collectors, assuming the setlist is accurate. It looks like a headlining COS Tour show, and I'm sure there weren't many of those.

-Marc.

This has been out there for YEARS, but I think it's pretty well-accepted that it's not genuine.

I always thought the main riff from I Think I'm Going Bald was basically the main riff from In The Mood, just slightly altered.  The live version wasn't bad, but yeah, a little hard to get excited about even if it's a pretty rare track.

It is.  Compare https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/rush-in-the-mood-tab-s52458 to https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/rush-i-think-im-going-bald-tab-s408807
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6148 on: November 13, 2022, 08:14:04 PM »

-Marc.

This has been out there for YEARS, but I think it's pretty well-accepted that it's not genuine.
What's not genuine? The live recording of ITIGB or the setlist from the second show?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6149 on: November 13, 2022, 09:44:33 PM »
He means the 2nd show.

That setlist has never been verified by anyone. Even members of Rush have stated that they don’t believe Fountain was ever played live. (although to be fair, I do believe that there was some “squishy“ language involved. Statements were made like “I don’t think…“ etc. etc..)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6150 on: November 13, 2022, 11:19:43 PM »
There's a bit of discussion about The Fountain of Lamneth and whether it was played here: https://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/91720-rush-concerts-setlists-a-history-lesson/
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6151 on: November 14, 2022, 10:26:23 AM »

-Marc.

What's not genuine? The live recording of ITIGB or the setlist from the second show?

He means the 2nd show.

More specifically, what I meant was that, AFAIK, it's pretty well accepted that they didn't play Fountain.  I recall reading an interview with Howard Underleider in which he said it was never played, but I can't find that interview now.  On the other hand, there is stuff like the anecdotal comment on the Rush forum.  Also, while I haven't read the book yet, Martin Popoff's book Anthem apparently takes the side that it was played, as mentioned in this article:  https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/book-review-anthem-rush-in-the-1970s/

I have no concern that the recording of Bald isn't genuine.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6152 on: November 14, 2022, 11:37:56 AM »
That setlist has never been verified by anyone. Even members of Rush have stated that they don’t believe Fountain was ever played live. (although to be fair, I do believe that there was some “squishy“ language involved. Statements were made like “I don’t think…“ etc. etc..)
IIRC, before or during the Time Machine tour, Neil was even quoted as saying they hadn't played TCE live before which obviously wasn't true. So just because the band themselves say they didn't play TFoL doesn't mean they didn't, especially if they "think" they didn't. I'm sure memories of the Down the Tubes Tour were far more hazy than the Moving Pictures tour.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6153 on: November 14, 2022, 02:35:25 PM »
Saw Rush in ‘76, never cared for ‘Bald’ on the CoS LP, but that was one great listen👍

Thanks
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6154 on: November 14, 2022, 02:54:20 PM »
IIRC, before or during the Time Machine tour, Neil was even quoted as saying they hadn't played TCE live before which obviously wasn't true. So just because the band themselves say they didn't play TFoL doesn't mean they didn't, especially if they "think" they didn't. I'm sure memories of the Down the Tubes Tour were far more hazy than the Moving Pictures tour.

Yeah. I agree with Scotty on this one. While I'm no expert on Rush touring lore, I am an expert on a couple of other bands, and I've found that Scotty's point of view tends to be correct a lot. The band themselves aren't the best keepers of information like that.

And setlist.fm is garbage, particularly for older shows. That's why when you've got a reliable catalog of dates and information that is painstakingly verified, I tend to rely on that. I can't tell you how many Queensryche shows from the 80s people have wrong on setlist.fm.  :tdwn
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline DTA

« Reply #6155 on: November 14, 2022, 03:35:23 PM »
Whether or not Fountain was played live is probably the biggest unsolved mystery in all of Rush's history. The musician in me just has to believe that a band who has just released their first side-long epic would stop at nothing to play it live at least once. but unfortunately, there's just no reliable proof that any part of it was played.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6156 on: November 14, 2022, 04:13:38 PM »
For anyone who didn’t click… The link that nobloodyname provided has a guy who swears up and down that he followed them from the beginning and swears he was there.  The does say that the setlist is incorrect as they opened with Bastille Day and not FBN (which admittedly sounds more plausible considering it was also from the (then) new album) and also claims that it was played…but not in its entirety. It was a truncated medley of highlights. Which admittedly (to me anyway) sounds like something they would do rather than play the whole thing. I mean, think about it. They didn’t even play 2112 in full until 1996.

I’m just saying that the story has an air of “reality” to it that leans me in the direction of believing him.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6157 on: November 14, 2022, 06:13:28 PM »
never cared for ‘Bald’ on the CoS LP, but that was one great listen👍

Yeah, Rush has a way of making pretty much any song really good live.  There are a lot of songs, especially in the later catalogue, that don't really thrill me, but on the live videos they all rock, every single song.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6158 on: November 15, 2022, 10:26:26 AM »
Well...the guy certainly does not equivocate.  On the other hand, he says the show was just shy of his 16th birthday.  I think that, at the time, hearing Fountain (or, as he wrote, "a weird kind of medley with the heavy parts of The Necromancer thrown in") would have stood out as being particularly noteworthy.  If you asked me about set lists from when I was that age, I might remember a couple things (e.g., I remember that, at the first Rush show I saw (on the GUP tour, they opened with The Spirit of Radio, and the speakers were such that the first half of the song was nearly inaudible on the lawn at the back of Irvine Meadows), but I wouldn't say I remember much of anything with certainty.

The 1/10/76 show was apparently the last date of the "Down the Tubes Tour," and it was at Massey Hall in Toronto.  Despite how dismal they've always said that tour was, they apparently closed out with a headlining show, without more than 90 minutes of material.

The guy on the Rush forum criticized the setlist.fm set as it existed in February 2015, but it's now changed to look more like what he said.  Looking at the setlist.fm edit history, the list was changed in May 2015, apparently based in part on the Rush forum posts.

Interestingly, cygnus-x1.net reports that Fountain was "reputedly performed on November 28th and 29th."  https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/setlists.php#CARESSOFSTEEL  But it does not otherwise comment on the Massey Hall show being a headlining set that was longer than the typical set.

There are certainly indicia of legitimacy here.  However, it's really hard for me to accept that, on the last night of an incredibly difficult tour, they pulled out a 20 minute "epic" that they hadn't been playing all along.  It's not like they had abundant rehearsal time to get it ready for performance.  If they'd been playing it at soundchecks leading up to that show (or if they did hardcore rehearsals for that show during the five days they had off before that show), you'd expect someone affiliated with the band to remember that.  And, if they hadn't been sounchecking it or didn't rehearse it, that means that, 74 dates into the tour, they pulled out a song they hadn't played in 5-6 months (since the album was recorded) for its first live performance.  Without a recording, it's hard for me to believe this.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6159 on: November 15, 2022, 12:30:17 PM »
There are certainly indicia of legitimacy here.  However, it's really hard for me to accept that, on the last night of an incredibly difficult tour, they pulled out a 20 minute "epic" that they hadn't been playing all along.  It's not like they had abundant rehearsal time to get it ready for performance.  If they'd been playing it at soundchecks leading up to that show (or if they did hardcore rehearsals for that show during the five days they had off before that show), you'd expect someone affiliated with the band to remember that.  And, if they hadn't been sounchecking it or didn't rehearse it, that means that, 74 dates into the tour, they pulled out a song they hadn't played in 5-6 months (since the album was recorded) for its first live performance.  Without a recording, it's hard for me to believe this.
Good point. With that said, I find it hard to believe that they didn't perform it at any of their headlining gigs at all. The fact that it is claimed that it was only played at 3 shows doesn't mean it wasn't played at others. Without any boots to confirm one way or the other, I doubt we'll ever know for certain. But to imagine them not playing their brand new first side-long epic at any of the shows on that tour seems a bit hard to believe.