Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 494213 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5215 on: April 03, 2021, 04:43:46 PM »
Have you heard this cover of "Anthem"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

What do you think about this? Musically it's pretty nice, but I find vocals by C&C guy annoying, he kinda ruined this song. I never got into C&C.

See, I think that was EXCELLENT.... up until the vocals.   He sounds a LITTLE like Geddy, but not enough, and he's got a... pinched, nasally tone to his voice that Geddy doesn't have.  I don't like it.   But I LOVE Les Claypool, so that maybe offsets it a little bitl

I think we need more Les Claypool/Danny Carey collaborations, frankly.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5216 on: April 04, 2021, 11:29:31 AM »
Have you heard this cover of "Anthem"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

What do you think about this? Musically it's pretty nice, but I find vocals by C&C guy annoying, he kinda ruined this song. I never got into C&C.

I prefer this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSNie948S0
YYNOT is undoubtedly the coolest band carrying on the Rush torch. I love them.

I've seen them live twice.  Their cover of No One at the Bridge is AMAZING!  And their original material is outstanding too.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5217 on: April 04, 2021, 04:06:56 PM »
That Anthem cover sounded great to me on all levels!  :metal

Even vocally?
Yes, the vocals didn't bother me at all.   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5218 on: April 04, 2021, 06:28:48 PM »
Geddy is such a unique vocalist that trying to cover Rush songs is difficult since the cover singer will inevitably not sound much like him at all, and the average Rush fan* is far too overly protective of the band and always has their pitchfork ready, so it's a no-win situation, really.

*Not referring to anyone here, just speaking in generalities.

Online HOF

« Reply #5219 on: April 04, 2021, 06:30:41 PM »
Geddy is such a unique vocalist that trying to cover Rush songs is difficult since the cover singer will inevitably not sound much like him at all, and the average Rush fan* is far too overly protective of the band and always has their pitchfork ready, so it's a no-win situation, really.

One reason I like Jacob Moon’s covers. He can kind of make the material his own without drawing too many comparisons.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5220 on: April 19, 2021, 11:46:27 AM »
Regardless of how you feel about "reaction" videos, this video (classical composer/music theory guy reacts to 2112) is a fun watch (as are all of his that I've seen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52vqSg5tBcg
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5221 on: April 19, 2021, 11:54:49 AM »
And then there's this from Rik Emmett:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwb_uRzo8I

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5222 on: April 19, 2021, 12:30:29 PM »

Nice!  I was just listening to Rik Emmett & Resolution9 cd last night. It features Alex Lifeson on track 2 (Human Race), and James Labrie on track 3 (I Sing).
Then JLB and Alex both on track 10 (End of the Line).  Good stuff!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5223 on: April 19, 2021, 12:33:45 PM »

Nice!  I was just listening to Rik Emmett & Resolution9 cd last night. It features Alex Lifeson on track 2 (Human Race), and James Labrie on track 3 (I Sing).
Then JLB and Alex both on track 10 (End of the Line).  Good stuff!  :tup

Grrrrr.....my copy of Res9 is still lost AND i NEVER GOT A CHANCE TO LISTEN TO IT!!!  >:(

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5224 on: April 19, 2021, 12:36:59 PM »
Dang, I wonder if it's up on youtube?

Offline DTA

« Reply #5225 on: April 27, 2021, 12:45:05 PM »
Martin Popoff's Driven came out today. I enjoyed the previous two installments enough, though I'm hoping there's a lot more info I don't know already which wasn't really the case for the other two books.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5226 on: April 27, 2021, 02:50:22 PM »
Martin Popoff's Driven came out today. I enjoyed the previous two installments enough, though I'm hoping there's a lot more info I don't know already which wasn't really the case for the other two books.
I haven't gotten any of these books, altho I've got Visions, Chemistry and Contents Under Pressure. Is there anything significant in the new books not already found in these three?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTA

« Reply #5227 on: April 27, 2021, 03:48:36 PM »
I haven't gotten any of these books, altho I've got Visions, Chemistry and Contents Under Pressure. Is there anything significant in the new books not already found in these three?

I haven't read any of those so I couldn't tell you. A lot of the info was familiar to me just from being a fan for 20 years and absorbing whatever stuff I could, but there's enough new stuff to make it worthwhile. Plus there's a lot of quotes and anecdotes that I haven't seen before so that's a big draw as well. Worth reading imo just to have one final thing about them to enjoy.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5228 on: May 08, 2021, 09:31:02 PM »

If you feel the spirit of the song I don't think it matters all that much if the vocalist sounds like Geddy. Usually not impressed with a vocalist or band that just copies the song the way it was recorded in the studio.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5229 on: May 08, 2021, 09:33:18 PM »

One reason I like Jacob Moon’s covers. He can kind of make the material his own without drawing too many comparisons.

Really liked his Subdivisions cover. I don't think any of the rest of his covers topped that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5230 on: May 08, 2021, 09:56:01 PM »

I read an advance of this a few months back. Don't have the others) Not very well written and a lot of copying and pasting of quotes, but I did learn some things and some things I did know about were covered more deeply (Which is a major reason why I might get this somewhere down the road.  Didn't realize there there is an updated discography in these either though I didn't go over the third installment to check its accuracy.) These may go down as the definitive bio in spite of my view that they are poorly written and Popoff sometimes lets his bias show. He's much better when he just lets the band tell the story. You do hear more from producers and engineers to get their insight of what Rush was trying to accomplish which I found interesting.

Haven't read the previous two books but I may consider getting all three at some point down the road. The third book at least really doesn't cover too much about touring or the live albums so I imagine that will be a plus for some (I thought it was a minus myself.)  Based on the third book alone, I was really hoping these would be better than I ended up, but maybe I just have high expectations of what these books should have become being that Rush was the subject. Maybe the previus two books were different. I don't know yet.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5231 on: May 08, 2021, 10:03:16 PM »

Can only speak for the 3rd book as that was the only one that I stumbled on a digital advance.  I would say yes.  Though I think it is poorly written there is some new information and new insights and some of the known information is covered a bit more deeply or from a different set of eyes. Unless a bunch of fans get together to do a proper biography (an effort similar to Wandering The Face Of The Earth) this might be the best career-spanning bio that there is. (Or course, to this point it's the only one.)

Offline DTA

« Reply #5232 on: May 09, 2021, 05:13:52 AM »
I would say Driven is actually the one that had the most info that I hadn't previously read elsewhere so I think it's my favorite of the bunch. I just finished it yesterday and I'm pretty satisfied. There was some repetition that they just can't seem to avoid bringing up endlessly (Neil being shy/hating touring) but overall, it was an informative trilogy with some interesting facts and interviews.

Offline DTA

« Reply #5233 on: May 09, 2021, 07:38:08 AM »
Also, when I downloaded CA back when it came out the tracks must have been mislabeled because the song that is Halo Effect is actually what I thought was Carnies and vice-versa. I never knew that the songs were mixed up until reading the CA chapter and comparing song descriptions and track lengths.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #5234 on: May 09, 2021, 06:46:11 PM »
I read Anthem and Limelight and am currently reading Driven. I would say that even though i have been a hardcore Rush fan for about 40 years and have read every Rush biography written, these books do have some things i have not heard/read before. Quotes from past producers, people that worked for the organization, stories from people that opened up or toured with the band etc. Good stuff. I'm also digging into some of the later albums which i haven't visited in some time. The albums were huge with me when they came out and I saw the tours, but kind of faded from my listening over the years. Its kind of neat to listen to the album while reading about how it was made. I recommend them!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5235 on: May 10, 2021, 02:46:46 AM »
I just placed an order for Anthem. The only other Rush book I have is Contents Under Pressure, also written by Martin Popoff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5236 on: May 10, 2021, 06:52:50 AM »
I'm going to pick up the ebook version, works out perfect. I need some reading material for my upcoming vacation.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5237 on: May 10, 2021, 10:29:32 AM »
Also, when I downloaded CA back when it came out the tracks must have been mislabeled because the song that is Halo Effect is actually what I thought was Carnies and vice-versa. I never knew that the songs were mixed up until reading the CA chapter and comparing song descriptions and track lengths.

Ha!  I had the same issue with Iron Maiden's Killers album.  I have the CD (and before that, I had the vinyl), and the tracks are properly labeled on the CD, but I had never spent a ton of time listening to side 2/the second half of the album.  In 2007, I got an IPod and ITunes, and I uploaded all of my CDs.  In the process, Twilight Zone, Prodigal Son and Purgatory got mixed up.  I didn't realize it until a couple years ago when somewhere here pointed it out.  It's a weird feeling.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5238 on: May 10, 2021, 02:01:25 PM »
 Are you guys familiar with Ben Mink, ho played violin on Losing It?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5239 on: May 10, 2021, 02:16:52 PM »

You mean beyond knowing he's the guy who played electric violin on Losing It?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5240 on: May 10, 2021, 04:33:52 PM »

And wasn't he the guy that collaborated with Geddy Lee for his solo album?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5241 on: May 10, 2021, 04:34:01 PM »

YES

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5242 on: May 10, 2021, 05:04:27 PM »
He's a producer who produced the last few Heart albums including songwriting credit. Same with him working with K.D. Lang.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5243 on: May 10, 2021, 09:22:39 PM »

Who you calling a "ho"?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5244 on: May 11, 2021, 06:31:05 AM »
He also played guitar on Teddy's solo album. I did a career spanning interview with him last night. We spoke for more than an hour, and he shared MANY Rush anecdotes, including the fact that Geddy played bass on a few kd lang demos.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5245 on: May 11, 2021, 10:19:19 AM »

And wasn't he the guy that collaborated with Geddy Lee for his solo album?

Checks...yup.  I probably haven't listened to that album more than twice, and it's probably been at least 15 years since I last did.  He was all over that album:  co-wrote all the music, produced, played multiple instruments, etc.

Offline DTA

« Reply #5246 on: May 11, 2021, 02:41:03 PM »

Ha!  I had the same issue with Iron Maiden's Killers album.  I have the CD (and before that, I had the vinyl), and the tracks are properly labeled on the CD, but I had never spent a ton of time listening to side 2/the second half of the album.  In 2007, I got an IPod and ITunes, and I uploaded all of my CDs.  In the process, Twilight Zone, Prodigal Son and Purgatory got mixed up.  I didn't realize it until a couple years ago when somewhere here pointed it out.  It's a weird feeling.

Very weird feeling. Rush is probably in my top 3 bands of all time and there's few bands I know more info about, so to not realize I mixed up two songs for 9 years is just insane to me. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5247 on: May 16, 2021, 03:54:34 PM »
He also played guitar on Teddy's solo album. I did a career spanning interview with him last night. We spoke for more than an hour, and he shared MANY Rush anecdotes, including the fact that Geddy played bass on a few kd lang demos.

So you're saying now I need to find those KD Lang demos?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5248 on: May 17, 2021, 03:53:15 AM »

So you're saying now I need to find those KD Lang demos?

Ben is the one who has them...

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5249 on: May 17, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
https://youtu.be/CJgXKdo0LbU

Anybody seen this pretty great cover of Middletown Dreams? :tup Discovered this by accident!