Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 493951 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5075 on: February 18, 2021, 03:05:02 PM »
So I'm watching "Exit...Stage Left", the video.  it's always a treat to see the guys play, but what was it with bands in the early 80's, and the "arty" concert films?  In look, in feel, in format, this is like watching Genesis' Three Sides Live.

It's a tough watch for me because it was always so dark but that was the technology and medium at the time. It was also fairly expensive.

While the visuals improved on the DVD, the audio on it did not.  I'd take the original audio of the VHS with the DVD visually.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5076 on: February 18, 2021, 05:12:24 PM »
So I'm watching "Exit...Stage Left", the video.  it's always a treat to see the guys play, but what was it with bands in the early 80's, and the "arty" concert films?  In look, in feel, in format, this is like watching Genesis' Three Sides Live.

I don't know, but that was such a hard video for me to find.  I remember looking and looking and finally finding a place that didn't have it in stock but would order it for me.  I had to put down a deposit, and it finally arrived about a month later.  I can't tell you how many Saturday nights my best friend and I spent drinking beer and watching that tape (along with several others).  At one point, the little "door" on the VHS tape broke, and my VCR at the time wouldn't play it.  I had to get a blank tape, open it up and remove the tape, and then transfer the tape of ESL into the other housing.  It was like I was doing a heart transplant.  I kept that videotape until Replay x3 was released in the mid-2000s.  I still have the Through the Camera Eye and Chronicles VHS tapes (the former has never been re-released on a digital format (but was released on laserdisc in addition to VHS), and I also have the latter on DVD).

Still have those VHS and Laser Discs ( and DVD. Missing Exit... on laser disc) There are still a few studio videos that never made it to DVD (Most of Through The Camera Eye has been released on various other DVDs.)

Simply as a matter of saving space, I got rid of the ESL, GUP and ASOH VHS tapes once Replay x3 was released, since everything on the DVDs is the same as what was on the VHS.  I have a couple dozen music VHS tapes that I haven't watched in forever.  Maybe I'll start throwing them in here and there.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5077 on: February 18, 2021, 05:14:31 PM »

I've never seen Exit...Stage left but it is arty in the way Metropolis live from NYC is arty? :lol

I'm gonna say no.  It's a similar distinction as between, say, a soap opera (LSFNY) and an Episode of CSI (ESL).  The sorts of "arty" effects that were used in LSFNY (2000) didn't exist when ESL was produced (1981/82).  Also, one of the biggest complaints about the ESL video is the lighting.  There are several very dark shots.  IMO, however, that makes for a more natural feel.

I will say this, though:  I wasn't kidding.  It's always a treat to watch them play.   The live versions of Xanadu and Red Barchetta from that tape are ESSENTIAL viewing.   It's stunning to me how three guys make that much "noise".  I didn't see that tour, but I wish I did.

You and me both!  One of my favorite shots ever is when you see Alex seemlessly switch between the 6 and 12-string necks in the middle of Xanadu (just past the 7:30 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuHS-gjMiVw ).
That is incredible! Thanks for posting that link, they were all on fire.   :omg:  :metal :metal

That little bit where Alex and Geddy were bumping each other back to back during Xanadu was always a favorite of mine and my friend.  Every time they'd play Xanadu live, we would emulate that.  The last time, I actually forgot about it, and he almost knocked me over.   :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5078 on: February 18, 2021, 06:01:59 PM »

I don't know, but that was such a hard video for me to find.  I remember looking and looking and finally finding a place that didn't have it in stock but would order it for me.  I had to put down a deposit, and it finally arrived about a month later.  I can't tell you how many Saturday nights my best friend and I spent drinking beer and watching that tape (along with several others).  At one point, the little "door" on the VHS tape broke, and my VCR at the time wouldn't play it.  I had to get a blank tape, open it up and remove the tape, and then transfer the tape of ESL into the other housing.  It was like I was doing a heart transplant.  I kept that videotape until Replay x3 was released in the mid-2000s.  I still have the Through the Camera Eye and Chronicles VHS tapes (the former has never been re-released on a digital format (but was released on laserdisc in addition to VHS), and I also have the latter on DVD).

Still have those VHS and Laser Discs ( and DVD. Missing Exit... on laser disc) There are still a few studio videos that never made it to DVD (Most of Through The Camera Eye has been released on various other DVDs.)

Simply as a matter of saving space, I got rid of the ESL, GUP and ASOH VHS tapes once Replay x3 was released, since everything on the DVDs is the same as what was on the VHS.  I have a couple dozen music VHS tapes that I haven't watched in forever.  Maybe I'll start throwing them in here and there.

I think Lock and Key and Prime Mover are missing from the ASOH DVD, no?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5079 on: February 18, 2021, 06:21:42 PM »

I think Lock and Key and Prime Mover are missing from the ASOH DVD, no?

From the Wiki article on Replay X 3:
The DVD version of A Show of Hands contains the full program of the VHS version; "Lock and Key" appeared on the laserdisc version after "Force Ten" on A Show of Hands, but does not appear on the DVD or VHS.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5080 on: February 23, 2021, 06:24:27 PM »
So..... some of you know my blatant, core-level dislike of Grace Under Pressure.   I was doing a compare of the original release and the Sector release this evening and cranking it out and... dare I say... it's starting to grow on me.  Still a little shrill, and that drum fill on Red Sector A is still by far the worst in the catalogue by a long shot, but some of those tunes are really starting to sink in. Red Sector A is excellent, as is The Body Electric. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5081 on: February 23, 2021, 06:54:51 PM »
So..... some of you know my blatant, core-level dislike of Grace Under Pressure.   I was doing a compare of the original release and the Sector release this evening and cranking it out and... dare I say... it's starting to grow on me.  Still a little shrill, and that drum fill on Red Sector A is still by far the worst in the catalogue by a long shot, but some of those tunes are really starting to sink in. Red Sector A is excellent, as is The Body Electric.

Nice!  I can't say P/G is one of my favorites, but I am still a pretty big fan.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5082 on: February 23, 2021, 07:28:02 PM »

NO, The Body Electric still sucks, but that's a pretty good album overall. It's more of an EP, so there is serious suckage on it, but there's 5 really good songs anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5083 on: February 23, 2021, 07:43:30 PM »

NO, The Body Electric still sucks, but that's a pretty good album overall. It's more of an EP, so there is serious suckage on it, but there's 5 really good songs anyway.
Only 5 good songs? What are the other 2 bad songs?????
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5084 on: February 23, 2021, 07:44:12 PM »
Kid Gloves and Red Lenses. Everything else is excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5085 on: February 23, 2021, 07:45:10 PM »
Kid Gloves and Red Lenses. Everything else is excellent.
OK, I'll give you Red Lenses, but Kid Gloves is awesome! :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online HOF

« Reply #5086 on: February 23, 2021, 09:00:02 PM »

Niiice

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5087 on: February 23, 2021, 09:09:31 PM »
Never got the hate for Red Lenses. The breakdown part of that song SLAYS!! :metal :metal :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #5088 on: February 23, 2021, 09:13:32 PM »
Red Lenses is great, love those drums.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5089 on: February 23, 2021, 09:39:14 PM »
Never got the hate for Red Lenses. The breakdown part of that song SLAYS!! :metal :metal :metal
I love the song, but I can kind of understand why it's a bit polarizing for Rush fans.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #5090 on: February 23, 2021, 09:39:42 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:46:35 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5091 on: February 24, 2021, 07:23:00 AM »
How about some love for Between the Wheels!!   :metal

Online HOF

« Reply #5092 on: February 24, 2021, 07:29:13 AM »

Top 5 Rush track for me probably (I’d have to think a bit, but it’s up there).

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5093 on: February 24, 2021, 07:44:15 AM »
Just a quick comment, I love Kid Gloves and THAT amazing solo (the sickiest Alex's solo in their entire discography IMO).
Grace is an amazing album, my fave from the keyboard era. It has a strangeness really unique in Rush's discography.
And, although the massive presence of the keyboards, it still sounds very organic, like the trio is playing all the instruments live. I really like PoW and HYF, but they sound too much over-produced, with a lot of programming on them and with some keyboard tones that I don't like, a bit annoying, in fact.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:53:41 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5094 on: February 24, 2021, 08:12:41 AM »

This is crazy. I woke up craving to listen to Grace under pressure this morning and that was before looking at this thread today. Between the wheels is great. Haunting and heavy

Its an album I sort of love?

The body electric is not for me. Parts of it are ok, but to have a chorus sung in binary is whack. kid gloves has a solid opening and main section but the chorus is where I'm like ugh  :P

But those 4 opening tracks. Hell yeah  :metal
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:19:39 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online HOF

« Reply #5095 on: February 24, 2021, 08:19:30 AM »
Just a quick comment, I love Kid Gloves and THAT amazing solo (the sickiest Alex's solo in their entire discography IMO).
Grace is an amazing album, my fave from the keyboard era. It has a strangeness really unique in Rush's discography.
And, although the massive presence of the keyboards, it still sounds very organic, like the trio is playing all the instruments live. I really like PoW and HYF, but they sound too much over-produced, with a lot of programming on them and with some keyboard tones that I don't like, a bit annoying, in fact.

I wonder if Grace Under Pressure didn’t sound as good on record, because I always thought it had a raw power to it (based on the remaster CD version), but it often gets slagged as thin and punchless. It’s definitely punk-ish in the way the sound is stripped back, and it’s a departure from earlier records for sure. It does have a sort of coldness to it that seems to capture the subject matter well. Neil always thought it was a record for the times (when it was released), and I think retroactively it feels that way even if it wasn’t received that way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5096 on: February 24, 2021, 08:31:29 AM »
Can I brag that I saw the GUP tour? :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5097 on: February 24, 2021, 08:39:34 AM »

I wonder if Grace Under Pressure didn’t sound as good on record, because I always thought it had a raw power to it (based on the remaster CD version), but it often gets slagged as thin and punchless. It’s definitely punk-ish in the way the sound is stripped back, and it’s a departure from earlier records for sure. It does have a sort of coldness to it that seems to capture the subject matter well. Neil always thought it was a record for the times (when it was released), and I think retroactively it feels that way even if it wasn’t received that way.

For me, I don't think any band captured the overall vibe of the 80's better than Rush.  They managed to reflect the times   in terms of music and social commentary in such a way that was really unique and cool.  The music and sounds reflected the trends in popular music yet with their own prominent stamp.  Neil's lyrics, to me, really captured the 80's zeitgeist in a powerful way.  Grace Under Pressure, for example, really captures the sense of dread and doom of the late stages of the Cold War, and living under the weight of possible mutually assured destruction.  For my money, if someone wanted to ask me what it was like to live in the 80's, I'd give them the Rush albums from Moving Pictures to Presto.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5098 on: February 24, 2021, 10:08:35 AM »
I was doing a compare of the original release and the Sector release this evening and cranking it out and... dare I say... it's starting to grow on me.  Still a little shrill, and that drum fill on Red Sector A is still by far the worst in the catalogue by a long shot, but some of those tunes are really starting to sink in. Red Sector A is excellent, as is The Body Electric.

Maybe it's just that it's not 9am yet, but what do the bolded mean?

It was my third concert ever.  Unfortunately, it was at an outdoor venue (the old Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre in SoCal), we had seats on the grass in the back, and it took most of the opening song (The Spirit of Radio) for the sound guy to get things right.  When the song started, we could barely hear the guitar over the crowd noise.

My issues with GUP are many, but I've recently landed on the conclusion that it could have been a MUCH better album with better instrumentation and production.  Red Sector A was, at the time, the wimpiest song in the band's catalog (save for Rivendell), but the 21st Century live versions are almost complete 180s.  The Body Electric almost as bad (and worse in some ways), but when you hear it done with ballsier guitar, chunky bass and all acoustic drums, it's pretty good:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVDDub4UtPU .  For my money, the worst thing Rush ever did was when Geddy played the Steinberger and Wall basses.

Other than when I intentionally listen to the entire album, the only songs I will ever go to are The Enemy Within, Between the Wheels and Kid Gloves.  Distant Early Warning is ok.  Afterimage is a yawner.  Red Lenses is just...I don't know...at this point, that song is a caricature.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5099 on: February 24, 2021, 11:09:04 AM »
There are a lot of Rush songs, especially from the 80's, which never really worked for me until I saw them live.  Rush has never failed to deliver the goods live, and at least once or twice during a concert (or more commonly a concert video) I'll realize that the song they're playing has never really been a fave, but they're rocking the hell out of it, and I'm digging it.  The magic of live music!  Later when those same songs come round while I'm shuffling, I appreciate them more.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5100 on: February 24, 2021, 11:24:27 AM »
I was doing a compare of the original release and the Sector release this evening and cranking it out and... dare I say... it's starting to grow on me.  Still a little shrill, and that drum fill on Red Sector A is still by far the worst in the catalogue by a long shot, but some of those tunes are really starting to sink in. Red Sector A is excellent, as is The Body Electric.

Maybe it's just that it's not 9am yet, but what do the bolded mean?

I have the original release (it's called the "Mercury Atom release" because of the design on the CD) and the version in the Sector 3 box set.  I was comparing them for sound (see one of my posts from about a week ago). 

It was my third concert ever.  Unfortunately, it was at an outdoor venue (the old Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre in SoCal), we had seats on the grass in the back, and it took most of the opening song (The Spirit of Radio) for the sound guy to get things right.  When the song started, we could barely hear the guitar over the crowd noise.

My brother had a program; I don't know if he saw the show or a friend got it for him.   My first tour was Power Windows.   I dig the GUP video, though.

My issues with GUP are many, but I've recently landed on the conclusion that it could have been a MUCH better album with better instrumentation and production.  Red Sector A was, at the time, the wimpiest song in the band's catalog (save for Rivendell), but the 21st Century live versions are almost complete 180s.  The Body Electric almost as bad (and worse in some ways), but when you hear it done with ballsier guitar, chunky bass and all acoustic drums, it's pretty good:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVDDub4UtPU .  For my money, the worst thing Rush ever did was when Geddy played the Steinberger and Wall basses.

I'm not wavering on this:  the sound and production of that album blows. I would get it if Alex was playing different chord shapes and using a more mid- to high-range tone in order to give space to Geddy and Neil, but that's not happening.   Soundwise, GUP is 39:27 of breaking glass and squealing tires.   But there is an elegance to some of the songs (DEW, RSA, TBE, BTW, TEW) that transcends that.   I think to PG's point, my awakening really came with digging into the GUP and ASOH videos. Those songs are powerful live.

Other than when I intentionally listen to the entire album, the only songs I will ever go to are The Enemy Within, Between the Wheels and Kid Gloves.  Distant Early Warning is ok.  Afterimage is a yawner.  Red Lenses is just...I don't know...at this point, that song is a caricature.

Ironic coming from me, but I don't get the hate for TBE.  Other than that burpy bass sound at the start, it's majestic.  I love Alex's intro figure on that song. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5101 on: February 24, 2021, 11:58:07 AM »
Grace Under Pressure is my favorite Rush album. It became my favorite by way of watching Between The Wheels on R30 Live, and also, me finding out what the name of a song I heard was. Which is Red Sector A, I always liked that Synth part before the chorus and the way the guitars tone blended with the synth. I actually like the tone of the album, the colors of the album art perfectly describe it. The tone choices for the instruments give it an icy, snowy, feel to the album.

It was the live versions that I liked of these songs, more so than the album. But I still enjoy it for that sound it has. It's unique in Rush's catalog in that way.

And Between The Wheels is an amazing song, and one I am happy I got to see live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kram

« Reply #5102 on: February 24, 2021, 12:57:29 PM »

Definitely one of Alex's top solos for sure.  As is the solo in Between the Wheels.  Still nothing tops the solo in La Villa for me..

Offline devieira73

« Reply #5103 on: February 24, 2021, 01:49:42 PM »

Definitely one of Alex's top solos for sure.  As is the solo in Between the Wheels.  Still nothing tops the solo in La Villa for me..

My english is not very good, but I meant by sickest as the most weird yet cool and crazy, at same time. It's one of my favorites for sure, but La Villa' solo is unmatchable.
And the solo in Between the Wheels :hefdaddy

Offline devieira73

« Reply #5104 on: February 24, 2021, 01:52:52 PM »
I actually like the tone of the album, the colors of the album art perfectly describe it. The tone choices for the instruments give it an icy, snowy, feel to the album.

Totally agree, perfect description!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #5105 on: February 26, 2021, 01:25:45 PM »
I’d like to show some random love and appreciation for Digital Man. Such an underrated song and definitely my favorite from Signals ❤️🤘

Online HOF

« Reply #5106 on: February 26, 2021, 01:32:35 PM »
I’d like to show some random love and appreciation for Digital Man. Such an underrated song and definitely my favorite from Signals ❤️🤘

Love that song. Would be at or near the top of my list of favorite Geddy bass lines.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5107 on: February 26, 2021, 01:33:08 PM »

I love that song as well. Great bass lines by Geddy!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5108 on: February 26, 2021, 01:34:35 PM »

Probably took me 20 years, but I LOVE that song.  The whole first side is awesome (yes, even Chemistry)!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #5109 on: February 26, 2021, 01:48:45 PM »

Love that song. Would be at or near the top of my list of favorite Geddy bass lines.

It’s been stuck in my head for days. I regret missing the Snakes & Arrows tour cuz of that song. That tour had such a great setlist