Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 494015 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4970 on: October 27, 2020, 04:32:21 PM »
Because you can't stay up that late and your Betamax is broken.

Yeah, well, there's that. :lol

I've never seen his show. Not once. He pops up in commercial breaks and promos, and I'm thinking why would I watch this guy?
I never watch him either, but when Rush was on, I made sure to catch the episode, and loved it. Specifically all the funny little ways Jimmy kept on sneaking Rush stuff in to other segments of the show. It was silly and stupid, but I wasn't expecting it to be something serious like Geddy's interview with Dan Rather. I recognized it for what it was, enjoyed it, got some laughs and was proud to see Rush getting some well deserved national media recognition. Doesn't make me a fan of Colbert where I would ever watch his show again (I haven't), but to see the boys on there was good fun, IMO.

I'll watch the link Joe posted tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4971 on: October 27, 2020, 04:54:57 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4972 on: October 27, 2020, 05:00:51 PM »
OK gotcha. Checked it.

That's different than your link I assume.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4973 on: October 27, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »
Just different sections of the show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4974 on: November 01, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
It was and I believe the next week it got to #21.  That was the highest charted song for them.

I also seem to recall they needed an extra song for Signals and worked it up and recorded it in like a day (I could look all these facts up I suppose).

The working title was "project 3:57", the exact length of the song they needed to finalize the album.

Shame they fell short by 15 seconds :lol

It does fade out at the end. Should have left bass solo go longer.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4975 on: November 01, 2020, 06:57:13 PM »
Still one of my favorite interviews ever.  Hard to believe it was 12 years ago.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4976 on: November 21, 2020, 04:55:45 PM »
Anybody got a few bucks they can loan me?

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26172/preview_lot/5422694/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4977 on: November 21, 2020, 10:16:55 PM »
Not sure if posted already, but Charlie Brown and friends doing Subdivisions. I know this guy has done others, but this one has been the standout of all I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kx5ubiSp0
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4978 on: November 21, 2020, 11:05:55 PM »

I saw that earlier today. I would love to get my hands on that kit! I don't think my wife would let me spend upwards of $80,000....  :yeahright
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4979 on: November 22, 2020, 02:19:07 AM »
Not sure if posted already, but Charlie Brown and friends doing Subdivisions. I know this guy has done others, but this one has been the standout of all I've seen.

:lol :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4980 on: November 22, 2020, 08:30:42 AM »

I saw that the other day. Great stuff.  Using the footage of Schroeder playing the piano with one finger (from the Christmas episode) was so perfect for the intro.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4981 on: November 22, 2020, 09:34:45 AM »

:tup
Michael Moore "I actually believe this song has saved lives."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4982 on: November 22, 2020, 10:19:27 AM »

When we were in Chicago to see DT last year our friend took us to meet a guy whose basement is nothing but Rush related memorabilia and one of his pride items was one of Neil's drumkits he used back in the day that was sold as a charity item. It was the full monty, double kick lots of cymbals. I sat behind it and the Neil must of had pretty good strength those pedals were hard to play. I'm sure technology has gotten better. I think he paid 25K for it.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4983 on: November 22, 2020, 01:22:09 PM »

When we were in Chicago to see DT last year our friend took us to meet a guy whose basement is nothing but Rush related memorabilia and one of his pride items was one of Neil's drumkits he used back in the day that was sold as a charity item. It was the full monty, double kick lots of cymbals. I sat behind it and the Neil must of had pretty good strength those pedals were hard to play. I'm sure technology has gotten better. I think he paid 25K for it.

OK - I was just informed that the this IS the guy we met in Chicago and I guess he's selling the kit. Interesting.......

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4984 on: November 23, 2020, 03:50:13 AM »
I know that kit has some great history,  but I'd  rather have the Red Sparkle kit from the Vapor Trails tour. That was his coolest looking drum set and sounded great too.. R30 set is a pretty awesome second runner up!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4985 on: November 24, 2020, 05:01:56 AM »
How would you rate a popular song "Closer to the Heart"? Is it average, good or great song to you?

I'd give it 3.5 starts out of 5. It's good, but not great.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4986 on: November 27, 2020, 07:14:18 AM »
I think I'd give it 4 stars out of 5. It's a top tier song for me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4987 on: November 27, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »
Closer to the Heart is probably a 4 of 5 for me too. Great songwriting, strong hook, crossover appeal. Best song on AFTK IMO.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4988 on: November 27, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »
Said this before, but I went to a retreat in junior high (religious thing, Jesuit school), and each retreat had a theme, and the one I went on was Closer to the Heart. Each retreat had their own song (so ours was Rush's song, natch) based on the theme, and that song got played before every meal, before every gathering, pretty much 20+ times a day. I swear that one weekend burned me out on that song for the next 20 years. It is still the first thing I think of when I hear the first couple notes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DTA

« Reply #4989 on: November 27, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »
Closer to the Heart is probably a 4 of 5 for me too. Great songwriting, strong hook, crossover appeal. Best song on AFTK IMO.

I always resented CTTH because it appeared in their live sets so much and was overplayed, but it really is quite a perfect little song and I've grown to like it quite a bit. I can't say that it beats the title track and Xanadu on AFTK, but it's definitely better than a lot of other more popular songs imo

Offline HOF

« Reply #4990 on: November 27, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »

I always resented CTTH because it appeared in their live sets so much and was overplayed, but it really is quite a perfect little song and I've grown to like it quite a bit. I can't say that it beats the title track and Xanadu on AFTK, but it's definitely better than a lot of other more popular songs imo

It’s definitely one that has been played a lot, but somehow it’s avoided Tom Sawyer territory for me. When it kicks in on AFTK, it’s such a breath of fresh air to me. This crisp, compact, almost perfectly constructed little gem. I think I really gained a new appreciation for it after I heard it in the album context even though I’d known it forever from the radio. It might be my favorite 70s Rush song even.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4991 on: November 27, 2020, 02:52:52 PM »
How would you rate a popular song "Closer to the Heart"? Is it average, good or great song to you?

I'd give it 3.5 starts out of 5. It's good, but not great.

That about sums it up.  Slightly above average.  Of course, as a general rule, I'd rather listen to Rush's slightly above average songs over the best songs by bands like Ratt or Quiet Riot.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4992 on: November 28, 2020, 10:00:03 PM »

I'd love to see that basement with or without that kit.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4993 on: November 28, 2020, 10:03:53 PM »

I was like that too and I still don't like the studio version all that much but some of the live versions over the years have been great with the version from the Test For Echo Tour and the klezmer version being the best. Even the skiffle version is pretty cool.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4994 on: November 29, 2020, 07:53:56 AM »

I'll see if I can get a pic or video.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4995 on: November 30, 2020, 07:31:55 AM »

See, that's the problem for CTTH for me; it's a fantastic song... that pales next to the rest of the album it's on. I know it's only two songs, but side one of that record is flawless (it may be my favorite album side in the Rush catalogue) and the second side - from which CTTH comes - isn't as strong.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4996 on: December 05, 2020, 11:25:44 AM »

I'll see if I can get a pic or video.

Thanks!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4997 on: December 11, 2020, 10:12:32 AM »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4998 on: December 19, 2020, 04:35:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VdbO-gvetQ

Todd Sucherman paying tribute to NP:
"13 for NP” was my contribution to the Modern Drummer Festival Neil Peart Tribute. I tried my best to compose a piece that honored a man who always composed his parts, and it was an honor to be asked to participate in this tribute. "

He totally nailed it, he managed to be himself and also composed a great drum solo, emulating NP's style. One of the highligths of this festival! :hefdaddy
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline frogprog

« Reply #4999 on: December 19, 2020, 07:34:37 PM »
That was really nice! Todd is a great drummer and really did play that in a NP style. Very enjoyable thanks for sharing

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5000 on: December 26, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »
This is by far the shortest 8mm that has surfaced but it's the best one in terms of quality.

It's quite the tease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwIkVLkY-WA

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5001 on: December 26, 2020, 06:38:00 PM »
That is some glorious footage.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5002 on: December 27, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5003 on: December 31, 2020, 09:28:08 AM »
This morning, NPR published their list "In Memoriam 2020: The Musicians We Lost".  They listed name, what they were known for, and DOB - DOD.  Here is what they listed for Neil Peart.

NEIL PEART
Rush drummer, Canadian rock deity

Sept. 12, 1952 – Jan. 7, 2020
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5004 on: December 31, 2020, 09:33:20 AM »
:lol  Nice!  :tup