Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496863 times)

Offline emtee

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4935 on: October 24, 2020, 04:27:10 PM »
I listened to Permanent Waves today for the first time in maybe 30 years. Something like that. It took me back. I remember loving it so much. I remember pulling the vinyl liner cover out with the lyrics and reading along. And you know what is astonishing....I remembered the lyrics to Different Strings word for word.

This is a transitional record for Rush. Away from the more groggy guitar based material and into the synth era. It's a classic that I have a powerful connection to. And while Different Strings was playing, my eyes teared up. NP is gone. This is the first Rush I've played since he passed.

What a lyricist he was.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4936 on: October 24, 2020, 04:29:34 PM »
I listened to Permanent Waves today for the first time in maybe 30 years.

30 years??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #4937 on: October 24, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »
Yep. I don't revisit a huge portion of my collection. Through the years I just kept buying, buying, buying. Now I've stopped for the most part...maybe 10 albums a year. And as I'm aging, I feel the need, almost on a spiritual level, to go back and dig into the time when it all started for me musically. As I do, some strong emotions are rising up. Most of you won't know what I mean until 3/4 of your life has been lived.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4938 on: October 25, 2020, 07:29:03 AM »
It was a gut punch when we lost NP earlier this year. Maybe it was a harbinger of things to come in 2020. The irony was not lost on me that he was a lyricist, novelist, adventurer, philanthropist, well read and overall big-brain and he died of none other than brain cancer.

Damn!  :(

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4939 on: October 25, 2020, 01:11:34 PM »
And as I'm aging, I feel the need, almost on a spiritual level, to go back and dig into the time when it all started for me musically.

Over the past year or so as I've been moving my music in to the digital realm, I've revisited many artists who shaped my musical development back when I was in high school. Some of those artists I still listen to regularly, some I listened to with varying degrees of nostalgia and enjoyment, some made me think "I actually liked this crap?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4940 on: October 25, 2020, 04:50:28 PM »
My wife and i try to listen to Casey Kasem's American Top 40: The 80's every weekend (both Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons).

This week was October 22, 1982, and much to my surprise, New World Man showed up at #23. I honestly have yet to hear another Rush tune get included on any of the American Top 40: the 80's shows, but I'm sure there were a few others.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1982-10-22

Offline HOF

« Reply #4941 on: October 25, 2020, 05:10:09 PM »
My wife and i try to listen to Casey Kasem's American Top 40: The 80's every weekend (both Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons).

This week was October 22, 1982, and much to my surprise, New World Man showed up at #23. I honestly have yet to hear another Rush tune get included on any of the American Top 40: the 80's shows, but I'm sure there were a few others.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1982-10-22

Pretty sure New World Man was the highest charting single of Rush’s career.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4942 on: October 25, 2020, 05:11:27 PM »
It was and I believe the next week it got to #21.  That was the highest charted song for them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #4943 on: October 25, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »
It was and I believe the next week it got to #21.  That was the highest charted song for them.

I also seem to recall they needed an extra song for Signals and worked it up and recorded it in like a day (I could look all these facts up I suppose).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4944 on: October 25, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
Yes that is true.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4945 on: October 26, 2020, 07:57:50 AM »
Yep. I don't revisit a huge portion of my collection. Through the years I just kept buying, buying, buying. Now I've stopped for the most part...maybe 10 albums a year. And as I'm aging, I feel the need, almost on a spiritual level, to go back and dig into the time when it all started for me musically. As I do, some strong emotions are rising up. Most of you won't know what I mean until 3/4 of your life has been lived.

I understand this; there are things I listen to a lot, but there's a lot that I don't, and yet, now, I feel sort of compelled to go back and revisit.   I went through a pretty big Billy Joel phase a couple weeks ago (The Stranger was one of my first records ever, and still one of my favorites). 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4946 on: October 26, 2020, 12:54:21 PM »

I also seem to recall they needed an extra song for Signals and worked it up and recorded it in like a day (I could look all these facts up I suppose).

The working title was "project 3:57", the exact length of the song they needed to finalize the album.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4947 on: October 26, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »

I understand this; there are things I listen to a lot, but there's a lot that I don't, and yet, now, I feel sort of compelled to go back and revisit.   I went through a pretty big Billy Joel phase a couple weeks ago (The Stranger was one of my first records ever, and still one of my favorites).

:tup Turnstiles was my 1st record ever. And I played Stranger alot...on my portable 8 track player!  :metal

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4948 on: October 26, 2020, 07:48:55 PM »

The working title was "project 3:57", the exact length of the song they needed to finalize the album.

Shame they fell short by 15 seconds :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4949 on: October 27, 2020, 08:48:58 AM »

Sad that NWM is there most "successful" tune when it comes to Billboard.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4950 on: October 27, 2020, 08:53:43 AM »
Always the biggest cult in music. Never in the popular circles but always a big following.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4951 on: October 27, 2020, 11:39:36 AM »
Always the biggest cult in music. Never in the popular circles but always a big following.

I always found it interesting that Rush's popularity increased the older they got. It was always refreshing to see.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4952 on: October 27, 2020, 12:25:18 PM »
They were never bigger than MP/Signals era.  But they became bigger in the media as they got older.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4953 on: October 27, 2020, 12:36:54 PM »
They were never bigger than MP/Signals era.  But they became bigger in the media as they got older.

Right. As those kids from that era grew up and became media members. Iron Maiden has basically followed a parallel course.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4954 on: October 27, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »

Right. As those kids from that era grew up and became media members. Iron Maiden has basically followed a parallel course.

Colbert literally said this when he had Rush on his show. People were wondering why Rush went from media punchline to media darlings. Colbert said it was simply that fans that were kids during their heyday are now older and in prominent media positions and they were using their platform to right a wrong.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4955 on: October 27, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »
Who's Colbert?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4956 on: October 27, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »
Who's Colbert?

Stephen Colbert. One of my favorite Rush full band interviews ever, especially the bit where he asks them if they've ever written a song so long that by the end of it, they were influenced by themselves from the beginning of the song.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4957 on: October 27, 2020, 01:19:36 PM »
Who's Colbert?

You out of touch old bastard.  :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4958 on: October 27, 2020, 01:24:52 PM »
Who's Colbert?

He really likes Rush.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4959 on: October 27, 2020, 01:26:39 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4960 on: October 27, 2020, 01:30:24 PM »

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4961 on: October 27, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
Who's Colbert?

You out of touch old bastard.  :lol

:lol

He's not out of touch - dare I say

He's Out of Reach!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHQAHQHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4962 on: October 27, 2020, 02:31:02 PM »
LOL

You also could say Lunch.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4963 on: October 27, 2020, 02:52:30 PM »
LOL

You also could say Lunch.
He's out of lunch?

:biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4964 on: October 27, 2020, 03:18:36 PM »
Who's Colbert?

Stephen Colbert. One of my favorite Rush full band interviews ever, especially the bit where he asks them if they've ever written a song so long that by the end of it, they were influenced by themselves from the beginning of the song.

Sorry, but I thought that was one of the more awkwardly dumb things anyone has ever asked someone.  It's one thing to say it, but to actually expect them to answer it....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4965 on: October 27, 2020, 03:31:45 PM »
Every time I see Colbert on TV he comes across like a douche.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4966 on: October 27, 2020, 03:42:15 PM »
Every time I see Colbert on TV he comes across like a douche.

He's just not funny to me.   I mean, little bits are humorous - the safety hook was funny for about 8 seconds - but I'm just not a fan. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4967 on: October 27, 2020, 03:51:27 PM »
I've never seen his show. Not once. He pops up in commercial breaks and promos, and I'm thinking why would I watch this guy?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4968 on: October 27, 2020, 04:04:29 PM »
Because you can't stay up that late and your Betamax is broken. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:13:29 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4969 on: October 27, 2020, 04:28:34 PM »
I've never seen his show. Not once. He pops up in commercial breaks and promos, and I'm thinking why would I watch this guy?
I never watch him either, but when Rush was on, I made sure to catch the episode, and loved it. Specifically all the funny little ways Jimmy kept on sneaking Rush stuff in to other segments of the show. It was silly and stupid, but I wasn't expecting it to be something serious like Geddy's interview with Dan Rather. I recognized it for what it was, enjoyed it, got some laughs and was proud to see Rush getting some well deserved national media recognition. Doesn't make me a fan of Colbert where I would ever watch his show again (I haven't), but to see the boys on there was good fun, IMO.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.