Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496731 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4900 on: October 22, 2020, 05:44:08 AM »
Moving Pictures' side one is generally vastly preferred over the side two by Rush fans. Never understood why.

Why would you not understand that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4901 on: October 22, 2020, 06:00:28 AM »
Moving Pictures' side one is generally vastly preferred over the side two by Rush fans. Never understood why.

Because I just don't get it. I don't get why are Limelight and Red Barchetta widely considered to be among the best Rush songs.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4902 on: October 22, 2020, 06:04:31 AM »
Because I just don't get it. I don't get why are Limelight and Red Barchetta widely considered to be among the best Rush songs.

I'm not surprised that you don't get it. There are a lot of things you don't appear to get. It's not that surprising, really.

Limelight and Red Barchetta are fantastic. Especially Limelight!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4903 on: October 22, 2020, 07:12:15 AM »

That's just a failure of imagination, frankly.   There's a LOT of music I don't like, and yet I can understand why someone would. I joke a lot about Radiohead and Anthony Keidis, but if I'm being serious and honest, I understand why OK Computer is one of Mike's favorite albums of all time.  It just doesn't resonate with ME, and that's fine.  There's no judgment there; I don't feel I'm "deficient" or "lesser" because I don't connect with that art.   There's plenty I do connect with.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4904 on: October 22, 2020, 07:23:28 AM »

Where did you get this? For years, TCE was the most requested song for Rush to perform live which tells you that the fans were indeed listening to side 2 and loving it.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4905 on: October 22, 2020, 07:46:07 AM »
I've never seen so much energy spent on a song someone doesn't like on a great album.

Yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised that my personal opinion on The Camera Eye and how it factors into my thoughts on Moving Pictures as a whole album has garnered such a reaction from folks in here! :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4906 on: October 22, 2020, 07:47:52 AM »
I've never seen so much energy spent on a song someone doesn't like on a great album.

Yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised that my personal opinion on The Camera Eye and how it factors into my thoughts on Moving Pictures as a whole album has garnered such a reaction from folks in here! :lol

:biggrin:

I am amazed how a tangent from one opinion can spin into a 2 to 3 day conversation over a well respected album on the internet.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4907 on: October 22, 2020, 07:49:21 AM »

That's just a failure of imagination, frankly.   There's a LOT of music I don't like, and yet I can understand why someone would. I joke a lot about Radiohead and Anthony Keidis, but if I'm being serious and honest, I understand why OK Computer is one of Mike's favorite albums of all time.  It just doesn't resonate with ME, and that's fine.  There's no judgment there; I don't feel I'm "deficient" or "lesser" because I don't connect with that art.   There's plenty I do connect with.

I didn't say that I dislike Limelight and RB. I like them, I don't rate them very high as most Rush fans do. IMO they get too much love and praise. I don't find them musically very exciting, interesting, creative and ambitious as some other Rush songs. To me Limelight is just one ordinary radio-friendly straightforward rock song with hard rock riff and tasty guitar solo. It's nowhere near as musically ambitious as something as "By-Tor and the Snow Dog"or "A Farewell to Kings" or "Jacob's Ladder"or "The Necromancer" (those songs get much less recognition and praise). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4908 on: October 22, 2020, 08:02:58 AM »
Wildranger, you ever see the Rick Beato Youtube video on what makes a song for Limelight?  Try it.  You may be pleasantly surprised.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4909 on: October 22, 2020, 08:12:01 AM »

I didn't say that I dislike Limelight and RB. I like them, I don't rate them very high as most Rush fans do. IMO they get too much love and praise. I don't find them musically very exciting, interesting, creative and ambitious as some other Rush songs. To me Limelight is just one ordinary radio-friendly straightforward rock song with hard rock riff and tasty guitar solo. It's nowhere near as musically ambitious as something as "By-Tor and the Snow Dog"or "A Farewell to Kings" or "Jacob's Ladder"or "The Necromancer" (those songs get much less recognition and praise).

Honest question:  why would you assume that your opinion matters?   Why do you point at OTHERS opinions and think that yours carries any weight?   If I like a band, and there's a song that I don't like but the fanbase does, my first reaction isn't that "huh, I don't understand how they can like this?", my first reaction is "huh, it doesn't work for me."   This is why I revisit "Grace Under Pressure" periodically.  I don't like it.  I never once ever thought "I don't get why others like this so much".  It's all - and only - about me.   

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4910 on: October 22, 2020, 08:47:00 AM »
Wildranger, you ever see the Rick Beato Youtube video on what makes a song for Limelight?  Try it.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

Rick Beato videos are mostly based on popular and well-known rock stuff. His "top" lists of anything are consisted of generic choices that every casual rock fan knows about. There are no surprises about his lists really. He chose to do an analysis about Limelight, because most casual rock fans know that tune (he didn't choose "Jacob's Ladder" for example).
Also he would talk about Led Zeppelin songs that everyone knows and heard them million times, but he will never talk about some 'underdog' tunes as e.g. "The Rover".

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4911 on: October 22, 2020, 08:59:37 AM »
I watched a few "What Makes This Song Great?" videos.  My brother-in-law pointed me at a few of them, and I thought that they were interesting enough, if you didn't know shit about music.  They're definitely made for regular people, not musicians.  I sat through a couple of them, hoping to learn a thing or two that I didn't know already, and wasted half an hour of my life.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4912 on: October 22, 2020, 09:00:29 AM »

Rick Beato videos are mostly based on popular and well-known rock stuff. His "top" lists of anything are consisted of generic choices that every casual rock fan knows about. There are no surprises about his lists really. He chose to do an analysis about Limelight, because most casual rock fans know that tune (he didn't choose "Jacob's Ladder" for example).
Also he would talk about Led Zeppelin songs that everyone knows and heard them million times, but he will never talk about some 'underdog' tunes as e.g. "The Rover".

That, my friend, is the ENTIRE POINT OF RICK BEATO.    Stuff that you might look past or ignore as "the hit" and yet has some real substance to it.  I've listened to "Running With The Devil" 1,000's of times, and it's the only VH song I can play all the way through (including solo).  So I've gotten a little... contemptuous or dismissive of it over the years.  I watched Beato's vid on RWTD the other day, and now have a new appreciation for it.  It's almost, dare I say, genius in it's cosntruction.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4913 on: October 22, 2020, 09:09:23 AM »

I do not get your thought process.  Of course he's going to pick popular songs to dive through.  The casual fan will not want to hear The Rover.  It's still interesting to see him delve into explaining the sound, how they got it, be it guitar, amp or effects choice and how it helps elevate the song.  If you can't enjoy watching this I question your thought process.

Online HOF

« Reply #4914 on: October 22, 2020, 09:18:00 AM »

I do not get your thought process.  Of course he's going to pick popular songs to dive through.  The casual fan will not want to hear The Rover.  It's still interesting to see him delve into explaining the sound, how they got it, be it guitar, amp or effects choice and how it helps elevate the song.  If you can't enjoy watching this I question your thought process.

Also, he picked Dance on a Volcano for Genesis.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4915 on: October 22, 2020, 09:25:55 AM »
The casual fan will not want to hear The Rover. 

It's their loss.
The Rover >>>> Immigrant Song (one of the most popular Zep songs)

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4916 on: October 22, 2020, 09:38:29 AM »

It's their loss.

I thought that Led Zep were known blockers which could be the reason that Rick ignores them

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4917 on: October 22, 2020, 09:43:50 AM »

It's their loss.

Listen, I get that.  I'd want to see Achilles Last Stand but i am in the minority there.  So of course, for the masses they will pick a famous song.  You sound surprised by this.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4918 on: October 22, 2020, 10:05:29 AM »
Back to the Moving Pictures album discussion, The first time I heard the album all the way through was Live on the Time Machine Tour. I had listened to all the songs, but never the album as whole. It has a great flow...The build-ups of The Camera Eye and Witch Hunt, slow the album flow a bit, but it's nice as these songs are not straight up rockers. Vital Signs is a good, uplifting, leave with a good vibe, type of song, and was neat to hear live, and I feel would've worked well as a Set Closer song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online pg1067

« Reply #4919 on: October 22, 2020, 10:42:37 AM »
The last time I listened to Moving Pictures, via Time Machine, I was actually taken by side two in particular.
From the get-go its vibe felt, for a lack of a better word, haunted. There's something about the ominous, oppressive quality of The Camera Eye and Witch Hunt. . . .

So...you were not oblivious to this quality.   :tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4920 on: October 22, 2020, 11:09:17 AM »
I remember seeing The Camera Eye live on the Time Machine tour and....totally being thrown by the different arrangement they used from the album version. It really caught me off-guard (much like when the pulled out the Analog Kid for the Counterparts tour and changed the ending). Just reminds me, I prefer album arrangements for all Rush songs

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4921 on: October 22, 2020, 11:14:41 AM »
Back to the Moving Pictures album discussion, The first time I heard the album all the way through was Live on the Time Machine Tour. I had listened to all the songs, but never the album as whole. It has a great flow...The build-ups of The Camera Eye and Witch Hunt, slow the album flow a bit, but it's nice as these songs are not straight up rockers. Vital Signs is a good, uplifting, leave with a good vibe, type of song, and was neat to hear live, and I feel would've worked well as a Set Closer song.

I always have the Time Machine Version of Vital Signs on my Spotify playlist and the cool thing after the song ends, Geddy speaks about it was hard to believe that the Moving Pictures album was 30 years old at the time and that onwards from the old to the new which leads to them playing Caravan next (which wasn't released officially yet from the Clockwork Angels album).

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4922 on: October 22, 2020, 11:46:15 AM »

Side two is not hard rock unlike the side one.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4923 on: October 22, 2020, 11:54:53 AM »

Ummm - yes it is. It's progressive hard rock. Sheez.... :yeahright

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4924 on: October 22, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »
As someone who got into Rush well into the CD-age of music (around 2002/2003), I never listened to them with the idea of album sides in mind, so for me, the back half of Moving Pictures was just the rest of the album, and I never really gave much thought to it otherwise. It was just seven songs on one disc with no delineation to their placement other than the singular running order - none of the Side A vs Side B mindset.

I did know that most of the first few songs got radio airplay, and that the band played them a lot more often, but I figured that was the case for most albums. The singles were always stacked toward the front of the album, it seemed, so of course they got radio play and concert play more often.

Personally speaking, while I don't listen to Rush as much as I used to anymore, I probably pick MP less than any other album to go to when I want to listen to Rush, simply because those songs (all of them) have been overplayed by me, the radio, and the band themselves, over all the years, but that isn't to say they aren't all great, or that whatever my feelings are about them should diminish their greatness, especially for other fans who love the album. It's no wonder that Neil has said if he wished the band had another starting point, he'd have picked Moving Pictures. It's a great balance of prog and pop sensibilities that the band honed and worked toward for over 7 years up to that point.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #4925 on: October 22, 2020, 12:44:19 PM »
As someone who got into Rush well into the CD-age of music (around 2002/2003), I never listened to them with the idea of album sides in mind, so for me, the back half of Moving Pictures was just the rest of the album, and I never really gave much thought to it otherwise. It was just seven songs on one disc with no delineation to their placement other than the singular running order - none of the Side A vs Side B mindset.

I did know that most of the first few songs got radio airplay, and that the band played them a lot more often, but I figured that was the case for most albums. The singles were always stacked toward the front of the album, it seemed, so of course they got radio play and concert play more often.

Personally speaking, while I don't listen to Rush as much as I used to anymore, I probably pick MP less than any other album to go to when I want to listen to Rush, simply because those songs (all of them) have been overplayed by me, the radio, and the band themselves, over all the years, but that isn't to say they aren't all great, or that whatever my feelings are about them should diminish their greatness, especially for other fans who love the album. It's no wonder that Neil has said if he wished the band had another starting point, he'd have picked Moving Pictures. It's a great balance of prog and pop sensibilities that the band honed and worked toward for over 7 years up to that point.

-Marc.

Yep, this pretty much sums up my feelings about MP as well.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4926 on: October 22, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »

I always have the Time Machine Version of Vital Signs on my Spotify playlist and the cool thing after the song ends, Geddy speaks about it was hard to believe that the Moving Pictures album was 30 years old at the time and that onwards from the old to the new which leads to them playing Caravan next (which wasn't released officially yet from the Clockwork Angels album).

I was at the first show of the Time Machine Tour. If one thing I will remember about Rush. It's them touring here when I was beginning my Concert going experience. Being able to witness the live debut of Caravan, Faithless, BU2B, and especially Presto is a great honor to have witnessed.

Presto Live Debut

This one has the intro part, but the sound sucks

Also getting to hear, Time Stand Still, all of Moving Pictures, Closer To The Heart, La Villa Strangiato, and Working Man reggae intro style, all in one show. And being one of the first ones to experience it.

That is a great last Rush show and tour memory for us here in Albuquerque.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online pg1067

« Reply #4927 on: October 22, 2020, 03:07:01 PM »

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4928 on: October 24, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »
Unpopular opinion: I don't think the side one of Moving Pictures is that great as nearly everyone claims. These days I tend to think the second side is musically more interesting (esp. The Camera Eye).
Red Barchetta and Limelight struck me as ordinary radio-friendly rock songs. I don't get why these two songs get too much love.

Well, at least I agree with you about Limelight. Among my least favorite Rush songs ever. (of about a dozen.) Rest of Moving Pictures is pretty much perfect.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4929 on: October 24, 2020, 01:19:48 PM »
Moving Pictures is a top two Rush record, and only because I feel like a cheater if I put it ahead of Hemispheres. It is frequently the Rush record I grab for a car ride.    I love every song on there except for Vital Signs (that's another one of those songs that seemed to fit better on a subsequent album; that belongs on Signals, IMO, both musically and thematically). 

I still think Tom Sawyer is a transcendent song, and Red Barchetta and The Camera Eye are not far behind.   LOVE that record.

Might commit to top ten, but even then there's a bunch of albums that would be unfairly left out.  Better than the first album and Feedback anyway.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4930 on: October 24, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
It seems odd to me that any one song should make or break an album and cause listeners to lean one way or the other. But I love TCE anyway. Such an epic!

Normally, I would agree. The issue is that Moving Pictures (much like other classic Rush albums of that era) has a rather "short" runtime, clocking in at around 40 minutes. While that can be a great length for an album, it means you have to make every minute count.

And as I said before- The Camera Eye is a ten minute long epic. That one song alone takes up an entire quarter of the whole album's runtime. So yeah, as I said before, that's why I personally believe TCE makes or breaks Moving Pictures as a whole for listeners.

I purposely waited a day trying to digest your response and frankly it still doesn't make sense to me. It sounds like you're saying that because of TCE, people are throwing the baby out with the bath water. l have never heard of anyone saying that any one song with any artist pans an entire album because of one song. Especially an album as strong as MP. I certainly could be misinterpreting your post and I am pretty sure I am older than you meaning that we have different experiences so maybe people you know feel this way.

As I understand his position (which aligns with my view of the album), you have 4 songs that most people seem to really like (Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight) and 2 songs that many don’t care for (Witch Hunt and Vital Signs), and that opinion tends to be split on The Camera Eye. So if you don’t like it, that’s about half the album that you don’t like. If you do, then you like at least 3/4 of the album. It’s just a big chunk of the album is all.

I guess we're going to have to chock it up to different experiences then because when this album came out, every song got airplay (including Witchhunt and Vital Signs) on the radio. Except for TCE and I think that's because of its runtime. Sure, maybe TCE got airplay late evening as a "deep cut" but the other songs were played on a regular rotation so I just don't see where one song causes anyone to ditch an album.

I've even heard The Camera Eye on the radio a few times but that was when they used to play full albums on Sunday nights at least 30 years ago. Someone may have requested it once during that time period too. Witch Hunt and YYZ were B-sides when they used to play B-sides on the radio.  There was the Vital Signs video and Vital Signs (live) was the B-side to the New World Man single. 1981-83 was the zenith as far as Rush radio play was concerned.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4931 on: October 24, 2020, 01:38:23 PM »
I actually love both Witch Hunt and Vital Signs.

So do I.

Two of the best songs on that album. Doesn't get any better than that pair.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4932 on: October 24, 2020, 01:46:43 PM »

Try the Grace Under Pressure version of Vital Signs.....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4933 on: October 24, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
I actually love both Witch Hunt and Vital Signs.

So do I.

Two of the best songs on that album. Doesn't get any better than that pair.

Witch Hunt is one of the most atmospheric songs they have. It's fantastic!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #4934 on: October 24, 2020, 04:02:23 PM »
All of this Moving Picures talk reminds me of my earliest exposures to Rush.

I'm pretty sure I first hear Rush via early MTV era videos:  Subdivisions and Countdown and the videos excerpted from the ESL video for Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta.  In those days, I would borrow albums from my two best friends, both of whom had older brothers with fairly extensive album collections.  I would usually give an album one listen, decide on my favorite songs, and then copy only those songs onto a cassette.  I can very specifically remember really loving Witch Hunt but not really liking Red Barchetta or The Camera Eye (and, hence, not recording those two songs on my Maxell C-90.  Fortunately, times change.