Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496861 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4830 on: October 13, 2020, 10:55:17 AM »
The prolific biographer and fellow Torontonian Martin Popoff has released today part 2 of his Rush trilogy. Entitled "Limeligh: Rush in the '80s", it's the sequel of "Anthem: Rush in the '70's", and will be followed by "Driven: Rush in the '90s and beyond". Here's my review of the book:

https://www.sonicper...ush-in-the-80s/

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4831 on: October 13, 2020, 12:57:11 PM »
The prolific biographer and fellow Torontonian Martin Popoff has released today part 2 of his Rush trilogy. Entitled "Limeligh: Rush in the '80s", it's the sequel of "Anthem: Rush in the '70's", and will be followed by "Driven: Rush in the '90s and beyond". Here's my review of the book:

Repaired linky

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/limelight-rush-in-the-80s/
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4832 on: October 13, 2020, 01:03:23 PM »

Repaired linky

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/limelight-rush-in-the-80s/

Thanks!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #4833 on: October 13, 2020, 01:29:42 PM »
I've been secretly hoping that Geddy, Alex and MP would announce that they are going to make an album together...maybe even bring in a 4th guy, a primary vocalist who can belt it out. It just seems like such a perfect scenario.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4834 on: October 13, 2020, 01:43:58 PM »
I've been secretly hoping that Geddy, Alex and MP would announce that they are going to make an album together...maybe even bring in a 4th guy, a primary vocalist who can belt it out. It just seems like such a perfect scenario.

Won't happen. I think the closest we'll get to see of those two guys being active is Alex doing special collaborations on stand alone songs - he did one with Marco Minneman not too long ago, and every now and then another one pops up - and maybe, just maybe, Geddy's tour playing stuff from his solo album and a few other songs to complete the setlist.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4835 on: October 13, 2020, 02:09:50 PM »
Won't happen. I think the closest we'll get to see of those two guys being active is Alex doing special collaborations on stand alone songs - he did one with Marco Minneman not too long ago, and every now and then another one pops up - and maybe, just maybe, Geddy's tour playing stuff from his solo album and a few other songs to complete the setlist.
Sadly, I agree. Would love to see those 3 get together, along with a vocalist *and* a keyboardist - allow Geddy just to focus on playing bass and doing backup vocals, and leave the primary vocals and keyboards to others - but it ain't gonna happen. Those guys are too old and comfortable to get back into doing something serious even on a part time basis (like Flying Colors or Transatlantic).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kram

« Reply #4836 on: October 13, 2020, 04:09:19 PM »
How about Geddy playing bass on a tour with Yes (or some version of Yes that is)?  He's such a big fan of the band and Chris Squire, he may be inclined to do it.  I know he was super honored to play with them at the Rock n Roll hall of fame induction.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4837 on: October 14, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »
How about Geddy playing bass on a tour with Yes (or some version of Yes that is)?  He's such a big fan of the band and Chris Squire, he may be inclined to do it.  I know he was super honored to play with them at the Rock n Roll hall of fame induction.

Two things with that.  First, Yes has a bassist, Billy Sherwood, who has been involved, on and off, in one capacity or another, for the past 30 years.  If I'm not mistaken, Sherwood was handpicked by Chris Squire to take his place after his death.  So...Yes isn't looking for a bassist, and I can't conceive they'd fire Sherwood for the sole purpose of bringing in someone with almost no prior affiliation with the band and who has never regularly played the material live.  As much as I adore Geddy Lee, he really doesn't have a lot to offer Yes.  The ARW project (if that's still a thing) might be more likely (don't know who they had paying bass), but I still don't see it.

Second, the more time that passes, the more I feel like we're never going to hear anything new musically from Geddy.  Alex has been semi-active with guest appearances, so I think he may be more likely, but Geddy seems to have so much else going on.  Who knows?  Maybe he's been spending a lot of his COVID downtime playing and writing, but I have a feeling he may be done with music.  And, even if he's not, I can't see him agreeing to join another band and setting out on a tour (even if he would be the youngest guy in the band other than Jon Davison).

As far as the MP thing, I can't really articulate why, but that doesn't sound appealing to me.  Maybe it's because I haven't enjoyed what I've heard of MP's post-DT stuff.  On the other hand, if MP's energy and enthusiasm can get Geddy and Alex to start making music again, that would be pretty awesome!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #4838 on: October 14, 2020, 10:55:06 AM »
One factor might be that it's generally much easier to find a guest spot for a guitarist than for a bassist. It might be that Geddy would hypothetically be willing to do guest spots just as much as Alex, but the offers simply aren't there due to his instrument.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4839 on: October 14, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »
Sadly, I agree. Would love to see those 3 get together, along with a vocalist *and* a keyboardist - allow Geddy just to focus on playing bass and doing backup vocals, and leave the primary vocals and keyboards to others - but it ain't gonna happen. Those guys are too old and comfortable to get back into doing something serious even on a part time basis (like Flying Colors or Transatlantic).

I wouldn't rule it out. MP was good friends with NP and he was one of the few friends NP told about his illness. There were more than a few on this board that ruled out MP playing on JP's solo album (not me - I predicted it) so never say never.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4840 on: October 14, 2020, 01:55:11 PM »
As far as the MP thing, I can't really articulate why, but that doesn't sound appealing to me.  Maybe it's because I haven't enjoyed what I've heard of MP's post-DT stuff.  On the other hand, if MP's energy and enthusiasm can get Geddy and Alex to start making music again, that would be pretty awesome!

I'm sort of with you on this.  Mike and Neal are both on my drumming Mt. Rushmore, but I just feel like all the baggage around it might be too much.   And then if it's more "Grace Under Pressure" than "A Farewell To Kings", that won't be good either.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4841 on: October 14, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »

I'm sort of with you on this.  Mike and Neal are both on my drumming Mt. Rushmore, but I just feel like all the baggage around it might be too much.   And then if it's more "Grace Under Pressure" than "A Farewell To Kings", that won't be good either.

If I read this correctly, you're old school. I used to know a guy who didn't like anything after AFTK which I found odd.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4842 on: October 15, 2020, 07:32:27 AM »

I'm sort of with you on this.  Mike and Neil are both on my drumming Mt. Rushmore, but I just feel like all the baggage around it might be too much.   And then if it's more "Grace Under Pressure" than "A Farewell To Kings", that won't be good either.

If I read this correctly, you're old school. I used to know a guy who didn't like anything after AFTK which I found odd.

Well, generally, I AM old school, but not Rush.  Signals and Presto are at the top of my list (though "Hemispheres" is one of my favorite records of all time, ever, and La Villa Strangiato is my favorite Rush song), and a big fan of Power Windows (Hi, TAC!) and Snakes And Arrows.   I just hate p/g for some reason; well, I know why:  I think it's one of the few Rush albums where they let the "moment" (the mid-80's) influence them, and I think it's the worst drum sound Neil ever got, and it ruins the record for me.   I DO like AFTK, though.   

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4843 on: October 15, 2020, 10:10:42 AM »

Given that they seemed to be headed back into a prog-ish direction on the last one or two albums, I'd imagine that such a project would be in more of a CA meets AFtK vibe.

Well, generally, I AM old school, but not Rush.  Signals and Presto are at the top of my list (though "Hemispheres" is one of my favorite records of all time, ever, and La Villa Strangiato is my favorite Rush song), and a big fan of Power Windows (Hi, TAC!) and Snakes And Arrows.   I just hate p/g for some reason; well, I know why:  I think it's one of the few Rush albums where they let the "moment" (the mid-80's) influence them, and I think it's the worst drum sound Neil ever got, and it ruins the record for me.   I DO like AFTK, though.
SO Stads, how do you feel about the songs themselves? For instance, when you heard those songs live or on their live albums? For example, I think BtW is *anything* but mid-80s sounding, especially on the live releases. To varying degrees, I think the same could be said for the other songs.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4844 on: October 15, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
SO Stads, how do you feel about the songs themselves? For instance, when you heard those songs live or on their live albums? For example, I think BtW is *anything* but mid-80s sounding, especially on the live releases. To varying degrees, I think the same could be said for the other songs.

Stadler and I have very similar opinions about GUP.  Perhaps the biggest problem is that a band with one of the greatest rock bassists of all time put out an album where he doesn't play bass on nearly half the album!

As for the songs themselves.  I think many of the 21st Century live versions of Red Sector A and Distant Early Warning are vastly superior to the album version.  The Enemy Within and Between the Wheels are the two songs on GUP where I don't greatly dislike the guitar tone.  They're good as is.  Kid Gloves is a good song despite the harsh guitar.  The Body Electric is pretty bad, but this live version demonstrates that it could have been pretty decent:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVDDub4UtPU .  I imagine Afterimage could be better with better instrumentation, but I'm not sure Red Lenses could be saved.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4845 on: October 15, 2020, 10:49:09 AM »
GUP was the album that finally got Alex recognized as a front line guitar player.  In fact, I believe that he was named in Guitar Player magazine for Player of the Year for this album. BTW is one of my favs and the solo has the goose bump factor.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4846 on: October 15, 2020, 10:55:04 AM »
I remember reading Neil consciously did not use his 6"/8" & 10" concert toms for the recording of GUP.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4847 on: October 15, 2020, 08:49:16 PM »

I see what you did there :P
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4848 on: October 16, 2020, 09:23:05 AM »

Given that they seemed to be headed back into a prog-ish direction on the last one or two albums, I'd imagine that such a project would be in more of a CA meets AFtK vibe.

One can hope; I like CA, but don't love it like some do.  S&A is the pinnacle of that latter day era for me. That's a beautiful album, to my ears.

Several of the songs are good, some very good. 

- DEW is pretty good
- Afterimage is overrated
- RSA is the example I give about the album: I think had that been recorded in 1981, it would be a top Rush song.  That fill right before "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gate..." is the example I give as to what I don't like about that album. That fill is just so lame, coming from a drum GOD like Peart (contrast to that subtle drum roll at the end of the intro to Subdivisions. So much nuance, so much feel...)
- TEW is pretty good
- TBE is the best song on the album for me
- Kid Gloves blows chunks. Strongly dislike that song.
- I'd rather listen to Kid Gloves than Red Lenses
- Rush was always fabled to have one song that wasn't intended to be played live, that was a "kitchen sink" song.  I don't know if BTW is that song, but it's a great tune that deserves a better presentation. Rush (and Judas Priest, oddly) are two bands that you can track the progression of their sound.  They have a number of songs that sound very much of ANOTHER album, and BTW is one of them.   It sounds out of place on p/g but would sound perfect on Side Two, just as it is, on Power Windows. 

And by the way, fair is fair; I listen to that album every six months or so to "revisit" it, to see if my opinion has changed.  it has softened, but it hasn't changed. One thing that has been clear almost from the get-go, is that for all the controversy about the "keyboards" vs. "guitars", Alex is the star of the show.  There are so many little snippets and riffs on that album that are SO COOL.  It's not enough to salvage the album, but you hear a lot of "p/g" in Petrucci's work on Images And Words, for example. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #4849 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:50 AM »
Stadler is consistent in his dislike for Grace Under Pressure. I’ll give him that.

I love Kid Gloves.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4850 on: October 16, 2020, 09:28:48 AM »
Stadler is consistent in his dislike for Grace Under Pressure. I’ll give him that.

I love Kid Gloves.

Consistency!   :)     :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4851 on: October 16, 2020, 10:38:34 AM »
- Rush was always fabled to have one song that wasn't intended to be played live, that was a "kitchen sink" song.  I don't know if BTW is that song, but it's a great tune that deserves a better presentation. Rush (and Judas Priest, oddly) are two bands that you can track the progression of their sound.  They have a number of songs that sound very much of ANOTHER album, and BTW is one of them.   It sounds out of place on p/g but would sound perfect on Side Two, just as it is, on Power Windows. 

Hmmm...it was really just Permanent Waves through Signals.  Different Strings was too piano heavy, Witch Hunt had double-tracked drums, and Losing It required the electric violin.  And maybe the same thinking was present when they did Tears on 2112.  Of course, none of this stopped them from playing A Passage to Bangkok and Xanadu, which they did by dropping the bass part in favor of Taurus pedals and having Geddy play rhythm guitar on his double-neck.

However, that was pretty much out the window by the time GUP was released.  They figured out how to do Witch Hunt live so that they could play the (at the time) Fear Trilogy.  And, since BTW was played throughout the GUP tour, it was definitely not song not intended to be played live.  In fact, GUP is the only Rush album where every song on the album was played on the tour for the album.

I also greatly disagree that BTW would have felt at home on PoW.  However, if they had put it on side 2, it would have improved that side by leaps and bounds.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4852 on: October 16, 2020, 11:01:35 AM »
Between The Wheels was a highlight of the already excellent R30 concert.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4853 on: October 16, 2020, 11:42:11 AM »
The only thing I didn't like about the R30 setlist was that too much of it was a repeat from the VT setlist. Thankfully for the remaining tours they did following, they shook up the setlist a lot more. That said, BtW was an awesome surprise and I never expected to see that song live, just as I had not expected to ever see Natural Science until they resurrected it for the T4E tour (which is still, IMO, the best version of the song - I prefer the version on DS over all the other live releases it's on).

Offline HOF

« Reply #4854 on: October 16, 2020, 11:43:36 AM »
The only thing I didn't like about the R30 setlist was that too much of it was a repeat from the VT setlist. Thankfully for the remaining tours they did following, they shook up the setlist a lot more. That said, BtW was an awesome surprise and I never expected to see that song live, just as I had not expected to ever see Natural Science until they resurrected it for the T4E tour (which is still, IMO, the best version of the song - I prefer the version on DS over all the other live releases it's on).

My only complaint about R30 is they did too many of the Feedback covers. I always just skip those!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4856 on: October 16, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »

My only complaint about R30 is they did too many of the Feedback covers. I always just skip those!
Not a fan of them either, but given that it was a release they were more or less supporting, I can forgive them for including 4 of them in the setlist. Besides, they're on the short side (less than 15 minutes), so it's not like they take up a lot of time of an Evening With show.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4857 on: October 16, 2020, 12:31:02 PM »
 On the covers album - do you guys remember that their initial idea was to include a Hendrix song? Geddy said that having a white guy from Canada cover a bluesy, black guy's voice would be too weird.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4858 on: October 16, 2020, 12:44:18 PM »
On the covers album - do you guys remember that their initial idea was to include a Hendrix song? Geddy said that having a white guy from Canada cover a bluesy, black guy's voice would be too weird.
Yeah, I remember reading that. There was also a brief thought about them covering a Zeppelin song but that was quickly voted out since they felt they couldn't do it justice. I remember them saying in essence that they only wanted to cover a song if they felt that their version could stand up to the original; if it couldn't, they discarded it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4859 on: October 16, 2020, 01:06:14 PM »
Only provided for contrast:   I LOVE the Feedback EP. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 01:12:09 PM by Stadler »

Offline HOF

« Reply #4860 on: October 16, 2020, 01:08:40 PM »
Only provided for constrast:   I LOVE the Feedback EP.

For completeness’ sake I should probably track it down. That and the self titled are the only Rush studio  albums I don’t own. I heard it once in a record store though and didn’t think much of it at the time. The live versions didn’t inspire me either. I suppose if you like the originals you might be more inclined to like the covers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4861 on: October 16, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »
Only provided for constrast:   I LOVE the Feedback EP.

For completeness’ sake I should probably track it down. That and the self titled are the only Rush studio  albums I don’t own. I heard it once in a record store though and didn’t think much of it at the time. The live versions didn’t inspire me either. I suppose if you like the originals you might be more inclined to like the covers.

Summertime Blues, For What It's Worth, The Seeker, Mr. Soul, and Shapes Of Things are some of my favorite songs ever.   I'd never heard Seven and Seven Is, and I can take or leave Heart Full Of Soul and Crossroads.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4862 on: October 16, 2020, 02:01:11 PM »
Part 2 of Martin Popoff's trilogy came out this week, Limelight, which covers Rush through the 80's. So far an enjoyable read, yet oddly enough it's nearly all info that I've read previously over the years whether it be from interviews, tour books, or Wandering The Face of The Earth. I just finished the ESL chapter and I'm hoping there's fresh info I haven't seen before detailing my favorite run of their albums, GuP through HYF.

The PeW chapter bugged me though. I always get annoyed with the notion that Rush has tons of long songs and PeW is the first album where they finally write shorter, catchier songs. They only have about 8 songs that I would consider long by 70's standards, and were writing shorter catchy, intricate songs as early as Anthem.

Lots of abbreviations in this post

Offline HOF

« Reply #4863 on: October 16, 2020, 02:06:45 PM »
Part 2 of Martin Popoff's trilogy came out this week, Limelight, which covers Rush through the 80's. So far an enjoyable read, yet oddly enough it's nearly all info that I've read previously over the years whether it be from interviews, tour books, or Wandering The Face of The Earth. I just finished the ESL chapter and I'm hoping there's fresh info I haven't seen before detailing my favorite run of their albums, GuP through HYF.

The PeW chapter bugged me though. I always get annoyed with the notion that Rush has tons of long songs and PeW is the first album where they finally write shorter, catchier songs. They only have about 8 songs that I would consider long by 70's standards, and were writing shorter catchy, intricate songs as early as Anthem.

Yeah, that is a weird thing to say about the song lengths. Even 2112 and Hemispheres have some shorter songs on them. It’s more that there weren’t any huge epics on Permanent Waves.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4864 on: October 16, 2020, 02:29:28 PM »

Yeah, that is a weird thing to say about the song lengths. Even 2112 and Hemispheres have some shorter songs on them. It’s more that there weren’t any huge epics on Permanent Waves.

I dunno, Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science were epic IMO. You don't need a 20 min song to consider it epic.