Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 495472 times)

DTA and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4795 on: July 29, 2020, 05:49:06 PM »
Even though it's Geddy's birthday it still doesn't feel quite right. Difficult to think of one without the others.  So here's to Rush.......

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4796 on: July 29, 2020, 06:21:38 PM »
Loudwire commemorated his birthday by showing some pictures of him throughout the years of Rush, and his ever evolving hairstyle and fashion sense (or lack of at times).

https://loudwire.com/geddy-lee-photos-through-years/

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4797 on: July 29, 2020, 07:09:55 PM »
Was reading tweets today regarding Ged's birthday and noticed he got a message from LeStudio. I found that rather odd. Did some digging and discovered that someone is in the process of restoring the recording section of the building as it did not burn down during the fire there. Only the resident section burned.

From the site:

We are working at Le Studio everyday now. We installed some new windows, doors, solar panels, 16 cameras around the building, a security alarm system connected to the central, lights around the property, a new Hydro panel, major clean up not finish yet but a great start and lots more work. We are working with the owner. We are restoring LE STUDIO into a Rush museum, a recording school a souvenir shop and way more.

Videos of the some of the restoration process:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMheR-u0wj9mSoBVrx2ap9Q

Site with memorabilia from the studio:

https://www.freewebstore.org/souvenirs-of-le-studio

This is super cool. If they are able to fully realize this dream, I would absolutely try to plan a trip one day to go visit that place. It is holy land for Rush fans.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4798 on: July 30, 2020, 01:43:33 AM »
Wow, waayyy cool!  That would be something to see when Le'studio is restored. Thanks for posting.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4799 on: August 01, 2020, 09:50:08 AM »
Was reading tweets today regarding Ged's birthday and noticed he got a message from LeStudio. I found that rather odd. Did some digging and discovered that someone is in the process of restoring the recording section of the building as it did not burn down during the fire there. Only the resident section burned.

From the site:

We are working at Le Studio everyday now. We installed some new windows, doors, solar panels, 16 cameras around the building, a security alarm system connected to the central, lights around the property, a new Hydro panel, major clean up not finish yet but a great start and lots more work. We are working with the owner. We are restoring LE STUDIO into a Rush museum, a recording school a souvenir shop and way more.

Videos of the some of the restoration process:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMheR-u0wj9mSoBVrx2ap9Q

Site with memorabilia from the studio:

https://www.freewebstore.org/souvenirs-of-le-studio

This is super cool. If they are able to fully realize this dream, I would absolutely try to plan a trip one day to go visit that place. It is holy land for Rush fans.

Seem to recall this has been debunked and possibly a scam but it's been quite a while since I've followed this closely.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4800 on: August 02, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »
Well, the YouTube page is updating rather regularly with video reports of the progress. It also looks like that the LeStudio stationary in the PW Super Deluxe set has the rebuildlestudio.com URL on it. That would seem to make it look rather legit to me.

He is clearly making progress on the building so something is definitely being done.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4801 on: August 07, 2020, 10:24:51 PM »
Well, the YouTube page is updating rather regularly with video reports of the progress. It also looks like that the LeStudio stationary in the PW Super Deluxe set has the rebuildlestudio.com URL on it. That would seem to make it look rather legit to me.

He is clearly making progress on the building so something is definitely being done.

I just have the regular 2CD set.  I don't doubt there are monuments outside. Haven't seen anything about the building itself. May be worth revisiting.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4802 on: August 17, 2020, 07:22:10 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4803 on: August 21, 2020, 04:47:18 AM »
I just realised that I haven't listened to any Rush at all since Neil's passing in January. At first I couldn't bare to listen to it, and then... it just slipped my mind.

I'll have to spin some Rush this weekend. The time is right.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4804 on: August 21, 2020, 10:36:22 AM »
I just realised that I haven't listened to any Rush at all since Neil's passing in January. At first I couldn't bare to listen to it, and then... it just slipped my mind.

I'm on a run through the whole catalog (including live albums).  I just finished up Hemispheres this morning on the way into work.

BY THE WAY...I listened again to the covers on the AFTK bonus disc.  I had definitely listened to DT's cover of Xanadu before, but I'm not sure if I listened to the other covers.  The cover of Cinderella Man by The Trews was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!  It's such an underrated song in their catalog, IMO, and I'm bummed they never played it live after the AFTK tour.*  I feel like I'm gonna have to check out some other Trews material.

* - Setlist.fm indicates that Cinderella Man was in the set list on one random show on the Permanent Waves tour, but this seems spurious.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4805 on: August 21, 2020, 12:49:51 PM »
www.rushfestscotland.co.uk/album/

A tribute album is being released by Rushfest Scotland as a way to commemorate Neil's Birthday in September. It features "14 Rush songs covered by Rush tribute bands from around the world - including Jacob Moon (Canada), Fleesh (Brazil), Moving Pictures (Scotland) and many more." The artwork, I believe, is also done by Hugh Syme himself!

It'll be on CD, red vinyl, and digital download, with all the profits going to Cancer Support Scotland in the UK and Glioblastoma Foundation Neil Peart Research Award in the USA.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4806 on: August 21, 2020, 02:02:10 PM »

A tribute album is being released by Rushfest Scotland as a way to commemorate Neil's Birthday in September. It features "14 Rush songs covered by Rush tribute bands from around the world - including Jacob Moon (Canada), Fleesh (Brazil), Moving Pictures (Scotland) and many more." The artwork, I believe, is also done by Hugh Syme himself!

It'll be on CD, red vinyl, and digital download, with all the profits going to Cancer Support Scotland in the UK and Glioblastoma Foundation Neil Peart Research Award in the USA.

-Marc.

Hmmm...maybe.  The problem with most Rush covers is that the vocals are lacking.  For my money, the best Rush covers are done by YYNOT.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:16:57 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #4807 on: August 21, 2020, 02:42:47 PM »

-Marc.

Hmmm...maybe.  The problem with most Rush covers is that the vocals are lacking.  For my money, the best Rush covers are done by YYNOT.

Jacob Moon does a great job with Rush covers, even if he has to reinterpret them a bit to suit his vocal style/range.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4808 on: August 22, 2020, 01:45:04 PM »

-Marc.

In on the CD.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4809 on: August 22, 2020, 01:47:05 PM »

I'm on a run through the whole catalog (including live albums).  I just finished up Hemispheres this morning on the way into work.

BY THE WAY...I listened again to the covers on the AFTK bonus disc.  I had definitely listened to DT's cover of Xanadu before, but I'm not sure if I listened to the other covers.  The cover of Cinderella Man by The Trews was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!  It's such an underrated song in their catalog, IMO, and I'm bummed they never played it live after the AFTK tour.*  I feel like I'm gonna have to check out some other Trews material.

* - Setlist.fm indicates that Cinderella Man was in the set list on one random show on the Permanent Waves tour, but this seems spurious.

Setlistfm wrong? Shocker.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4810 on: August 24, 2020, 10:13:27 AM »

-Marc.

Jacob Moon does a great job with Rush covers, even if he has to reinterpret them a bit to suit his vocal style/range.

I think I've only ever heard his cover of Subdivisions, which I really liked.

On another note, I started listening to the bonus disc that came with the Permanent Waves 40th anniversary release.  Alex does a little classical guitar piece before The Trees that is really good.  It's probably what morphed into Broon's Bane, but it's not really all that similar.  It would have been cool if he had done a bunch of little classical guitar pieces a la Steve Howe and Rik Emmett.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4811 on: August 29, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »

-Marc.

I think I've only ever heard his cover of Subdivisions, which I really liked.

On another note, I started listening to the bonus disc that came with the Permanent Waves 40th anniversary release.  Alex does a little classical guitar piece before The Trees that is really good.  It's probably what morphed into Broon's Bane, but it's not really all that similar.  It would have been cool if he had done a bunch of little classical guitar pieces a la Steve Howe and Rik Emmett.

That intro was the highlight of that bonus disc for me. Wouldn't surprise me if it was improved on every night of the European leg of that tour.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4812 on: August 31, 2020, 10:37:33 AM »

That intro was the highlight of that bonus disc for me. Wouldn't surprise me if it was improved on every night of the European leg of that tour.

Rush has so little stuff like this that hearing something like that -- albeit very short -- really makes an impact.  I think you're probably right about that bit evolving and improving.  He was so good on the classical guitar.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4813 on: August 31, 2020, 12:14:44 PM »
There are a few highlights to that show, but on the whole I was pretty disappointed. The performance of hemispheres was downright sloppy.

I’m still glad I have the box set as a collectors item. But the quality of the recordings contained there in were a disappointment.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4814 on: August 31, 2020, 12:54:08 PM »
Modern drummer festival this year, featuring a Rush tribute:
 https://www.livexlive.com/live-events/festival/modern-drummer-festival?source=ref_moderndrummer_moderndrummer&utm_campaign=event-moderndrummer&utm_source=moderndrummer&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=moderndrummer
It would be even cooler if they play something unusual that Rush never or rarely played live.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4815 on: September 05, 2020, 02:31:58 PM »
 https://www.livexlive.com/live-events/festival/modern-drummer-festival?source=ref_moderndrummer_moderndrummer&utm_campaign=event-moderndrummer&utm_source=moderndrummer&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=moderndrummer
It would be even cooler if they play something unusual that Rush never or rarely played live.

Still considering this. Not all that enthused with the platform, however. May just wait for the DVD instead.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4816 on: September 05, 2020, 09:44:11 PM »

Fountain of Lamneth please. Didacts & Narpets would be such a good tribute to Neil's skills as a drummer! :heart
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4817 on: September 08, 2020, 08:29:42 AM »
I asked MP about it on FacebooK: "Is there any chance of a Rush deep cut in your tribute, Mike?"
He replied: "Tune in to find out..."
So, let's see... I think there's some real chance for The Necromancer... fingers crossed!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4818 on: September 19, 2020, 04:42:30 PM »
I asked MP about it on FacebooK: "Is there any chance of a Rush deep cut in your tribute, Mike?"
So, let's see... I think there's some real chance for The Necromancer... fingers crossed!

How was it? I went with the Scottish Rush Tribute album instead.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4819 on: September 25, 2020, 05:25:03 PM »
Kyros's cover of Force Ten.  If you like it check out their new album,  Celexa Dreams.

https://youtu.be/2RWhrkYg1sk
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4820 on: October 03, 2020, 03:03:32 PM »

Fountain of Lamneth please. Didacts & Narpets would be such a good tribute to Neil's skills as a drummer! :heart

I think someone did that (Didacts and Narpets) once, but I can't remember who.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4821 on: October 03, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »

I think someone did that (Didacts and Narpets) once, but I can't remember who.
I can. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRbqfgRLxfE) Some man named Mike Mangini.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4822 on: October 03, 2020, 04:25:45 PM »
Pretty sure I've heard of him.  The guy with the cymbals way up there.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4823 on: October 03, 2020, 04:36:20 PM »
Pretty sure I've heard of him.  The guy with the cymbals way up there.
Yeah, I believe he uses an elevator to get to them.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4824 on: October 03, 2020, 06:11:36 PM »
I can. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRbqfgRLxfE) Some man named Mike Mangini.
Who?

Nice cover except those vocals - talk about lame.  :facepalm:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4825 on: October 03, 2020, 07:20:56 PM »

Only now I saw your question, ytserush...

It was a nice festival, but I thought it would be something like Morsefest this year, without audience, but recorded somewhere with a band and various drummers. It wasn't the case. It was like most of streaming events in the pandemic, with every artist recording alone in his own studio.
Anyway, a lot of great drumming in the festival, during 3 hours. Every drummer had around a 5 minute spot, talking about  NP and making drums solos dedicated to him, but not playing his drums parts. Only Portnoy, Chad smith and , (I think) a third one, which I'm not remembering right now, played Neil's drums parts. Portnoy basically redid the Stage Left drum solo, adding some other songs on it (like that robotic pattern from The Body Electric , that drum breakdown of By-Tor and a few more) and Chad played the 2112 first two parts.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 07:48:18 PM by devieira73 »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4826 on: October 04, 2020, 05:12:19 AM »
Who?

Nice cover except those vocals - talk about lame.  :facepalm:
Thanks so much for the laughs. Much needed.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4827 on: October 11, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »

Only now I saw your question, ytserush...

It was a nice festival, but I thought it would be something like Morsefest this year, without audience, but recorded somewhere with a band and various drummers. It wasn't the case. It was like most of streaming events in the pandemic, with every artist recording alone in his own studio.
Anyway, a lot of great drumming in the festival, during 3 hours. Every drummer had around a 5 minute spot, talking about  NP and making drums solos dedicated to him, but not playing his drums parts. Only Portnoy, Chad smith and , (I think) a third one, which I'm not remembering right now, played Neil's drums parts. Portnoy basically redid the Stage Left drum solo, adding some other songs on it (like that robotic pattern from The Body Electric , that drum breakdown of By-Tor and a few more) and Chad played the 2112 first two parts.

Thanks. Doesn't seem like there were too many surprises.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4828 on: October 11, 2020, 11:47:04 AM »
Scottish charity tribute CD looks great. Hopefully I'll get the chance to listen to it this week. Still binging on the Flying Colors CD/DVD and the new Fish box arrived yesterday too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4829 on: October 11, 2020, 11:54:40 AM »
I got the new Flying Colors Blu Ray.  Just skimmed through it. I need to play it in full.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC