Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490146 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4760 on: June 27, 2020, 08:24:37 PM »
I'm preparing the UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread. UFO did a couple of tours with Rush in 1977 and 1978.

I love this picture!

Geddy Lee and Pete Way.

Alex Lifeson and Michael Schenker

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4761 on: June 27, 2020, 08:25:07 PM »
In the most recent Fish on Friday episode Fish shows off his promo autographed copy of Power Windows.   He said he forgot he had it. The band gave it to him after their leg of the tour.  I'm going to be sad when he stops these. I'm hooked.

So glad I got to see Marillion open for Rush on the Power Windows tour and playing Misplaced Childhood in full as the opener. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4762 on: June 27, 2020, 08:25:46 PM »
Tim, great pictures!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4763 on: June 27, 2020, 08:28:23 PM »
It's funny that Rush's most infamous tour mates, KISS and UFO, were so rock and roll extreme.

Alex Lifeson tells the story that one night while they were on tour with UFO, the UFO guys all brought their bathrobes and slippers from their hotel, and stood together off stage mocking Rush and their stage robes.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4764 on: June 27, 2020, 08:36:34 PM »
Tim, great pictures!

Two people in that first picture died in the last year.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4765 on: June 27, 2020, 08:39:25 PM »
It's funny that Rush's most infamous tour mates, KISS and UFO, were so rock and roll extreme.

Alex Lifeson tells the story that one night while they were on tour with UFO, the UFO guys all brought their bathrobes and slippers from their hotel, and stood together off stage mocking Rush and their stage robes.  :lol

They nailed slippers where Geddy would stand because or the kabuki robes. Lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4766 on: June 27, 2020, 08:39:47 PM »
Tim, great pictures!

Two people in that first picture died in the last year.

We're at that age my friend. 

Online pg1067

« Reply #4767 on: June 28, 2020, 12:22:26 PM »
What’s truly funny is that, in a few more years, Fish is going to start to resemble Fish.

Can you imagine a Scottish version of Fish?  :rollin

Ok...would someone please explain what the Fish referenece was about?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4768 on: June 28, 2020, 12:34:51 PM »
Fish the tv show spinoff of Barney Miller.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4769 on: June 28, 2020, 05:05:34 PM »
Unfortunately, this Fish is sleeping.....

There's a meta-reference in play here as well.  Abe Vigoda played Det. Fish, and he was also Sal Tessio in The Godfather.  The expression "sleeping with the fishes" was popularlized by that movie.  It's an old Sicilian message you send to someone whose employee, colleague, etc., you've just knocked off.  They're now sleeping with the fishes.  Abe Vigoda, Fish, passed away in 2016.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #4770 on: June 29, 2020, 08:16:50 AM »
I just saw that the making of Snakes and Arrows documentary is on YouTube. I don’t know why I never saw it. I’ve had this album since the release day and it’s never really impressed me as much as most of their work. But, I will say after watching this, I’ve gained a new respect for this album. It’s like listening to it with new ears.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4771 on: June 29, 2020, 09:28:22 AM »
I just saw that the making of Snakes and Arrows documentary is on YouTube. I don’t know why I never saw it. I’ve had this album since the release day and it’s never really impressed me as much as most of their work. But, I will say after watching this, I’ve gained a new respect for this album. It’s like listening to it with new ears.

I went back and forth with this album. Loved it when it came out, then thought it was kind of flat, and re-learned to appreciate it. and yeah, that documentary is great. I love the part where Nick challenges Neil to improve a fill, and when he nails it, Geddy gets all excited and goes "he's killing it, man!!!"

Online pg1067

« Reply #4772 on: June 29, 2020, 10:21:59 AM »

Wait...what??

When YtseRush wrote, "In the most recent Fish on Friday episode Fish shows off his promo autographed copy of Power Windows," he was actually talking about the Barney Miller character, Fish?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4773 on: June 29, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »

Wait...what??

When YtseRush wrote, "In the most recent Fish on Friday episode Fish shows off his promo autographed copy of Power Windows," he was actually talking about the Barney Miller character, Fish?
No, YtseRush is speaking of Fish, the former member of Marillion. But what Jammindude said is that soon Fish (ex-Marillion) is gonna start to resemble Fish (from Barney Miller). Then he asked "Can you imagine a Scottish version of Fish?" referring to whether you could imagine Fish (ex-Marillion) being a Scottish version of Fish (from Barney Miller). Make sense now?   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4774 on: June 29, 2020, 11:54:37 AM »

Wait...what??

No, YtseRush is speaking of Fish, the former member of Marillion. But what Jammindude said is that soon Fish (ex-Marillion) is gonna start to resemble Fish (from Barney Miller). Then he asked "Can you imagine a Scottish version of Fish?" referring to whether you could imagine Fish (ex-Marillion) being a Scottish version of Fish (from Barney Miller). Make sense now?   :biggrin:

I love Phish.  I saw them in Hartford.  Good show.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4775 on: June 29, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »
Now we need a “Fish, Fish, and Phish” thread.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online pg1067

« Reply #4776 on: June 29, 2020, 01:23:09 PM »

Got it.  TY.

Sounds like a radio contest.   :lol :lol

Online Lupton

« Reply #4777 on: June 29, 2020, 02:00:07 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAcdn5Y9GAI
The lyrics starting at 0:55 are relevant to some of the more recent posts.  ;D

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4778 on: June 29, 2020, 02:28:39 PM »

Wait...what??

Sounds fishy to me.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4779 on: June 29, 2020, 02:39:40 PM »
Catch the fish!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4780 on: June 29, 2020, 02:50:31 PM »

Let's get them together to do a cover of Yes' "The Fish".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Lupton

« Reply #4781 on: June 29, 2020, 08:05:31 PM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4782 on: June 29, 2020, 08:59:49 PM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4783 on: June 29, 2020, 09:01:55 PM »
Bonus pic for no particular reason

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4784 on: June 29, 2020, 09:06:09 PM »
Felipe Andreoli did a pretty cool bass cover of Limelight:

https://youtu.be/npWJ09wPPIg

He has a lot of great stuff on his channel - Angra originals and covers both.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4785 on: July 03, 2020, 05:09:03 PM »
In the most recent Fish on Friday episode Fish shows off his promo autographed copy of Power Windows.   He said he forgot he had it. The band gave it to him after their leg of the tour.  I'm going to be sad when he stops these. I'm hooked.

So glad I got to see Marillion open for Rush on the Power Windows tour and playing Misplaced Childhood in full as the opener.

Never going to forget those memories.

About to dig into today's installment. Rothery apparently started his stream today too and scheduled it right after Fish's  I'm not catching it live but it should be a fun next couple of hours.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4786 on: July 03, 2020, 05:10:47 PM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4787 on: July 03, 2020, 05:18:19 PM »

Wait...what??

I almost bought tickets to see them back around 1990 thinking that Fish was touring the US. I thought Ticketbastard had the spelling wrong, but I didn't want to take the chance anyway since there was no immediate indication of a US Tour at that time. Too add insult to injury,  "An Emotional Fish" was touring then too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4788 on: July 03, 2020, 07:24:11 PM »
Bonus pic for no particular reason

Sons Of Apollo?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4789 on: July 03, 2020, 07:25:57 PM »
Somebody wants a kick to the nads.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #4790 on: July 03, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
Somebody wants a kick to the nads.
Tim seems to always be asking for it too. :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4791 on: July 03, 2020, 07:36:48 PM »
 :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4792 on: July 03, 2020, 08:06:56 PM »
 :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4793 on: July 06, 2020, 08:29:40 AM »

Wait...what??

I almost bought tickets to see them back around 1990 thinking that Fish was touring the US. I thought Ticketbastard had the spelling wrong, but I didn't want to take the chance anyway since there was no immediate indication of a US Tour at that time. Too add insult to injury,  "An Emotional Fish" was touring then too.

I almost did the same thing, but I got lucky; it was a show at Toad's in CT, and I went to but tickets and made the comment about the spelling, and the kid at the box office set me straight.   

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4794 on: July 11, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »

Wait...what??

I almost did the same thing, but I got lucky; it was a show at Toad's in CT, and I went to but tickets and made the comment about the spelling, and the kid at the box office set me straight.

Cashier was no help at all. Totally clueless. Tickbastard wasn't offering refunds even back then so I decided it wasn't wasn't worth the risk until I knew more.

Sucks that he's only been in the US for a tour three times since he left Marillion.