Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 494078 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4515 on: April 01, 2020, 07:19:39 PM »
Man, I am not understanding the pricing on this Permanent Waves 40th set. Of all of the Super Deluxe sets thus far, this one is the least impressive to me yet is somehow way more expensive than any of the others were. As of now, I can only see myself getting the vinyl and CD sets separately. That alone will run about $80. The Super Deluxe is going for $180. There just is not an extra $100 of worth there, especially with no Blu-ray or DVD or anything.

Just getting the Compact Disc set just like the others. Everything I need is on it. I'm just glad some work was put in this time and we didn't end of with St. Louis 1980 as the live show.

Have originals of most of the replica stuff from the box although I suppose the photo book would be cool. It will be $18 or $20 well spent.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4516 on: April 02, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
Man, I am not understanding the pricing on this Permanent Waves 40th set. Of all of the Super Deluxe sets thus far, this one is the least impressive to me yet is somehow way more expensive than any of the others were. As of now, I can only see myself getting the vinyl and CD sets separately. That alone will run about $80. The Super Deluxe is going for $180. There just is not an extra $100 of worth there, especially with no Blu-ray or DVD or anything.

For the, the problem is that they insist on selling the "super deluxe" version with both CDs and vinyl.  I have no use for vinyl.  Yes, there's a CD-only version, but it lacks most of the goodies.  While I want the goodies, I don't want them badly enough to shell out $180 and get a bunch of (for me) useless vinyl records.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4517 on: April 07, 2020, 06:31:56 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4518 on: April 07, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
This is pretty cool, me thinks.

Members of Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies and Testament cover Rush while in quarantine

I saw that, and yes, that is awesome.

Love Charlie's shirt.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4519 on: April 09, 2020, 04:22:07 PM »

For the, the problem is that they insist on selling the "super deluxe" version with both CDs and vinyl.  I have no use for vinyl.  Yes, there's a CD-only version, but it lacks most of the goodies.  While I want the goodies, I don't want them badly enough to shell out $180 and get a bunch of (for me) useless vinyl records.

Most new vinyl is way over-the-top expensive.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4520 on: April 12, 2020, 06:36:23 PM »
You Learn Something new everyday.

"Lunatic Fringe" is a great tune by the band Red Rider (which I always associate with the 80's movie "Vision Quest") who included original Rush Vocalist/Bassist Jeff Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTFVMMCwsss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Jones_(musician)

Jones performed with Alex Lifeson and John Rutsey in the first incarnation of Rush, serving as the primary singer and bassist in the summer of 1968.[1] He was replaced by Geddy Lee in September 1968 before their second performance, after wanting to go to a party.[

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4521 on: April 12, 2020, 07:22:34 PM »
Whoa, I did not know that, either.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4522 on: April 12, 2020, 08:02:06 PM »

"Lunatic Fringe" is a great tune by the band Red Rider (which I always associate with the 80's movie "Vision Quest") who included original Rush Vocalist/Bassist Jeff Jones.

Jones performed with Alex Lifeson and John Rutsey in the first incarnation of Rush, serving as the primary singer and bassist in the summer of 1968.[1] He was replaced by Geddy Lee in September 1968 before their second performance, after wanting to go to a party.[
I don't remember if it was this thread, but I posted about this some time ago. I don't remember how the topic came up.....is there a Red Rider thread?  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4523 on: April 12, 2020, 08:15:27 PM »

I remember hearing something about Geddy being fired or something at the start of the band but I always thought it was a joke.

Online HOF

« Reply #4524 on: April 12, 2020, 08:48:26 PM »
Yeah, I just read about this recently in that great big tour book. Geddy was pushed out briefly by Ray Daniels (believe it or not) after they hired him as their manager around 1968-69. They asked him to come back a few months later.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4525 on: April 12, 2020, 09:16:22 PM »
Wait. Somewhere there is a dude walking around whose life story is "I was in Rush at the beginning, but skipped a gig so I could go to a party, then they replaced me?" 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4526 on: April 12, 2020, 10:02:36 PM »
Yeah, but later he was in a one-hit wonder, so it's all good.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4527 on: April 12, 2020, 10:10:53 PM »
I alwayd Lunatic Fringe, but never knew anything about it, other than the name of the band. And I never saw Vision Quest.

That one post was a font of information for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4528 on: April 12, 2020, 10:46:27 PM »
I alwayd Lunatic Fringe, but never knew anything about it, other than the name of the band. And I never saw Vision Quest.

Another tidbit.   Red Rider was fronted by Tom Cochran.   Singer of "Life is a Highway"
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online HOF

« Reply #4529 on: April 12, 2020, 10:53:03 PM »

So I’ve heard this song before I’m pretty sure, or am I just confusing it with something by Pink Floyd?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4530 on: April 13, 2020, 07:05:02 AM »

Another tidbit.   Red Rider was fronted by Tom Cochran.   Singer of "Life is a Highway"

Somehow the band is now officially Tom Cochran's Red Rider or something very much like that.  The song "Lunatic Fringe" came on my radio one time, and the name of the band had to scroll for a while for the whole thing to display.  It reminded me of Tony Iommi's Black Sabbath, and not in a good way.  I always figure the band name is the recognizable part.  Putting your own name on there is just ego.

Also, the only "Life is a Highway" I know was by Sheryl Crow.  Or are you saying hers is a cover and he did the original?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4531 on: April 13, 2020, 07:07:54 AM »
Her's is a cover.  His was a big hit even here in America.  It was on MTV non stop.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #4532 on: April 13, 2020, 08:34:12 AM »
Tom Cochrane is also Canadian. He and Alex have played together on several occasions, with Alex even appearing on one of his later releases.

Yeah, "Life Is A Highway" was an unavoidable hit in the early 90s, radio and MTV. Great song!

Here's them playing "All Along The Watchtower" back in 94: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7LT9JG2ly0

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4533 on: April 13, 2020, 08:40:37 AM »

Damn, I guess we do learn something new every day.  I have known Lunatic Fringe for 30 years and never made that connection.

Online HOF

« Reply #4534 on: April 13, 2020, 08:52:41 AM »
Tom Cochrane is also Canadian. He and Alex have played together on several occasions, with Alex even appearing on one of his later releases.

Yeah, "Life Is A Highway" was an unavoidable hit in the early 90s, radio and MTV. Great song!

Here's them playing "All Along The Watchtower" back in 94: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7LT9JG2ly0

Here is Cochrane presenting/inducting Rush into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame (classic Neil and Alex moments here):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glEaGtwoorg

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4535 on: April 13, 2020, 08:53:46 AM »
Rascal Flatts also did a cover of "Life Is A Highway" for one of the Pixar movies ("Cars" I think, but don't quote me.)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4536 on: April 13, 2020, 08:57:40 AM »
Rascal Flatts also did a cover of "Life Is A Highway" for one of the Pixar movies ("Cars" I think, but don't quote me.)

It charted as well. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4537 on: April 13, 2020, 10:07:44 AM »

While I realize that the band that eventually became Rush started out with Alex on guitars, Rutsey on drums and Jeff Jones on bass, the band may or may not have been called "Rush" at that point, and Jones only lasted a few weeks.  I therefore have a real problem regarding to him as "the original Rush vocalist/bassist."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4538 on: April 14, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »

Thought all of this was common knowledge but maybe not.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4539 on: April 14, 2020, 06:39:43 PM »

Never saw that movie either, but I do have the CD soundtrack primarily for that song.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4540 on: April 14, 2020, 06:48:21 PM »

While I realize that the band that eventually became Rush started out with Alex on guitars, Rutsey on drums and Jeff Jones on bass, the band may or may not have been called "Rush" at that point, and Jones only lasted a few weeks.  I therefore have a real problem regarding to him as "the original Rush vocalist/bassist."

I don't have a problem with it but I don't assign it a lot of significance to it other than it being a historical footnote.

Geddy married the sister of of Lindy Young who was in the band for a while as well.

They were just kids in a band and nobody had any idea how it would turn out.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4541 on: April 15, 2020, 10:27:53 AM »
Rush (or Rush's business manager) is now selling a bound collection of all of the old Backstage Club newsletters.

https://www.rushbackstage.com/product/6XAMRU169/rush-backstage-club-newsletters?cp=102112_102150

$40 for 72 pages of material seems pretty steep

Right before I read about this, I pulled out all of my original newsletters.  I have them from roughly GUP through Presto (the one that was released in advance of GUP refers to a new song called "Red Section A."   :lol

Several of the newsletters had Q&A from Neil, and my god was that man snarky!  Unfortunately, while the first blip about the lyrics to Freewill is in one of them, the follow up is not in any of the newsletters that I have, so it may have come from somewhere else (I think I posted a link several pages back).  I may scan and upload a few of these, although I suspect they're readily available elsewhere on the interweb.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4542 on: April 15, 2020, 06:56:59 PM »
I may scan and upload a few of these, although I suspect they're readily available elsewhere on the interweb.
Don't bother. As you guessed, they are available, altho they were put up just days before the announcement of that book. YOu can check them out here:
https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/rbc-archives.php
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4543 on: April 16, 2020, 11:11:14 AM »
I may scan and upload a few of these, although I suspect they're readily available elsewhere on the interweb.
Don't bother. As you guessed, they are available, altho they were put up just days before the announcement of that book. YOu can check them out here:
https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/rbc-archives.php

Yup.  That's where I expected they'd be.  I have them from Dec. 1983 through April 1990.  Not sure why I stopped getting them after that.  I wonder if anything ever came of the "pen pals" section in some of them.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4544 on: April 17, 2020, 06:47:36 PM »
Rush (or Rush's business manager) is now selling a bound collection of all of the old Backstage Club newsletters.

https://www.rushbackstage.com/product/6XAMRU169/rush-backstage-club-newsletters?cp=102112_102150

Right before I read about this, I pulled out all of my original newsletters.  I have them from roughly GUP through Presto (the one that was released in advance of GUP refers to a new song called "Red Section A."   :lol

Several of the newsletters had Q&A from Neil, and my god was that man snarky!  Unfortunately, while the first blip about the lyrics to Freewill is in one of them, the follow up is not in any of the newsletters that I have, so it may have come from somewhere else (I think I posted a link several pages back).  I may scan and upload a few of these, although I suspect they're readily available elsewhere on the interweb.

I'd get these (even though I have many of the originals anyway) but I got the impression it's not all of them so if that's the case I'm out. I'd want them if it was everything, but that does not appear to be the case.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #4545 on: April 17, 2020, 07:12:24 PM »
Wait. Somewhere there is a dude walking around whose life story is "I was in Rush at the beginning, but skipped a gig so I could go to a party, then they replaced me?"

That just reminded me that there was once a guy on mp.com whose screen name was JohnRutseyNoJob.   ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4546 on: April 18, 2020, 11:35:29 AM »

I'd get these (even though I have many of the originals anyway) but I got the impression it's not all of them so if that's the case I'm out. I'd want them if it was everything, but that does not appear to be the case.

You're right:

"Over the years, there were over thirty newsletters released, some were full of timelines from Neil, some contained tentative upcoming tour dates, and some were merely merchandise catalogues. We have reprinted and bound the most meaningful of these newsletters in a 9” X 12”, 72-page folio."

I suspect, however, that the ones that aren't included are those that are only merch catalogs.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4547 on: April 20, 2020, 02:54:52 AM »
Guys, I usually never do this, but this time I just have to:
I follow a pretty nice FB page voting for the "greatest album of all time" - while the original voting is already done (Dark Side Of The Moon won), the admin made a new voting to find the "greatest album of the 2010s".

And Clockwork Angels is about to be kicked out and I cannot accept that  :lol

https://www.facebook.com/greatestalbumofalltime/posts/2684886278290733
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4548 on: April 21, 2020, 12:36:24 PM »

You're right:

"Over the years, there were over thirty newsletters released, some were full of timelines from Neil, some contained tentative upcoming tour dates, and some were merely merchandise catalogues. We have reprinted and bound the most meaningful of these newsletters in a 9” X 12”, 72-page folio."

I suspect, however, that the ones that aren't included are those that are only merch catalogs.

Worth considering I suppose. Might be nice to have them bound in one place.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4549 on: April 30, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »
What's your favorite guitar riff and solo by Lifeson?

My picks would be: riff - Spirit of the Radio; solo - La Villa Strangiato