Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496835 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4270 on: January 19, 2020, 04:31:47 PM »
So I've been watching Rush on youtube and listening to all of their CD, live and studio, all week. One thing I wanted to mention, and I know this isn't exactly breaking news...but..

Geddy Lee is an absolute fucking beast on bass. Holy shit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4271 on: January 19, 2020, 05:01:15 PM »
So I've been watching Rush on youtube and listening to all of their CD, live and studio, all week. One thing I wanted to mention, and I know this isn't exactly breaking news...but..

Everything about Rush is a beast  :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4272 on: January 19, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »

Everything about Rush is a beast  :metal
Very much this ^

And it's always nice to be reminded of that fact whenever you listen to Rush.  :2metal:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4273 on: January 19, 2020, 09:55:51 PM »
All true, but the real underrated guy is Alex.   Neil is Neil, and Geddy gets a lot of mention, but you hardly ever hear of Alex in the same breath as, say, Page and Gilmour and Clapton, but in terms of versatility, he's every bit the player they are.   He doesn't have the iconic solo that some of those guys have, but everything else, he's right there. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4274 on: January 19, 2020, 10:00:42 PM »
Glad you said that because I always thought Alex's solos were the aspect of Rush's music that grabbed me the least.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4275 on: January 19, 2020, 10:03:28 PM »
All true, but the real underrated guy is Alex.   Neil is Neil, and Geddy gets a lot of mention, but you hardly ever hear of Alex in the same breath as, say, Page and Gilmour and Clapton, but in terms of versatility, he's every bit the player they are.   He doesn't have the iconic solo that some of those guys have, but everything else, he's right there.

That’s because Alex’s best guitar solo is part of a nine minute long prog fest instrumental, as opposed to a traditional rock song that can be played regularly to the masses on radio. A newcomer to classic rock can discover Stairway to Heaven or Comfortably Numb fast by tuning into a station. You have to go out of your way to find the Lerxst In Wonderland segment of La Villa Strangiato.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4276 on: January 19, 2020, 10:10:00 PM »
Although I specifically remember that they asked Alex in an interview in Hit Parader in 1983ish (so granted, it was a a long time ago) which solo he was the most proud of.    He said Limelight.   Which is a pretty damn good solo too.   And much more prevalent on rock radio. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4277 on: January 19, 2020, 10:13:53 PM »
Limelight is my personal favorite guitar solo from Alex; the song itself is amazing but that solo has so much emotion it just hits home every single time I hear that song. I’m a big fan of the videos for Limelight and Tom Sawyer as well.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #4278 on: January 19, 2020, 10:19:13 PM »
Although I specifically remember that they asked Alex in an interview in Hit Parader in 1983ish (so granted, it was a a long time ago) which solo he was the most proud of.    He said Limelight.   Which is a pretty damn good solo too.   And much more prevalent on rock radio.

I suppose that’s a valid point. It’s a great solo- but I guess part of why Limelight’s solo maybe isn’t as fully recognized by the masses as other classic solos is how it’s a bit more understated in a way compared to something like Stairway to Heaven? A lot of Alex’s best solos are like that.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4279 on: January 19, 2020, 10:22:36 PM »
This may not be entirely relevant, but I think Alex's best solo is actually in Closer To The Heart.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4280 on: January 19, 2020, 10:27:31 PM »

I suppose that’s a valid point. It’s a great solo- but I guess part of why Limelight’s solo maybe isn’t as fully recognized by the masses as other classic solos is how it’s a bit more understated in a way compared to something like Stairway to Heaven? A lot of Alex’s best solos are like that.

If you mean understated in a way that's more about grandiose and emotion as opposed to technicality, I would put Comfortable Numb as the greatest example of that style, and yet it is still considered one of the greatest guitar solos of all time in spite of the fact that it's understated.    I mean, it feels understated to me.    It's gorgeous...but it's not a solo that requires a supreme amount of technical skill. 

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #4281 on: January 19, 2020, 10:54:10 PM »
If you mean understated in a way that's more about grandiose and emotion as opposed to technicality, I would put Comfortable Numb as the greatest example of that style, and yet it is still considered one of the greatest guitar solos of all time in spite of the fact that it's understated.    I mean, it feels understated to me.    It's gorgeous...but it's not a solo that requires a supreme amount of technical skill.

I don't disagree with your assessment there. It's also part of why I adore Lerxst in Wonderland, even with its more technical flair, there's still a level of emotional phrasing that Alex employs there above the technical prowess that's just divine.

I think for me, what I mean by Alex's solos sometimes being 'understated' is more in the manner in which he ends the solos. Especially if I'm thinking of solos like Limelight or The Garden. The catharsis that those solos give seem to come 3/4 of the way into the solos and then it kinda goes on a little in an off-kilter way and just kinda ends on an almost 'flat' way.

I don't mean that in a negative way, of course. Just trying to find the right way to describe the experience properly.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4282 on: January 19, 2020, 11:09:14 PM »
To me,  Alex is just as a heavy bitter on the guitar as Geddy and Neil are on bass and drums. Alex's solos are emotional and with technical skill.  His solo on Freewill absolutely shreds but also tells a musical story.  Another example is his solo in Between the Wheels especially on the R30 tour was ridiculous.  :metal
 There's too many examples to mention that I'd like to leave for others to discuss, I like where this thread is going!  Lerxst Rulz! 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:52:27 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Bentower

« Reply #4283 on: January 19, 2020, 11:15:07 PM »
The solos in Cut to the Chase, Subdivisions and Dreamline are some of my faves by Alex.

I've always preferred Steve Morse's solo on the Working Man version of La Villa Strangiato tbh. That's the best I've heard him play.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4284 on: January 20, 2020, 01:36:37 AM »
One of my favourites is the solo in Available Light. Not only because of its gorgeous soaring sound, but also because of how it's positioned and how it helps the song evolve. I love that the chorus concludes into something different every time.

In general, Available Light is just a beautifully crafted song and one of my favourites by Rush. Oh the wind can carry...
any rock can be made to roll

Online HOF

« Reply #4285 on: January 20, 2020, 06:44:41 AM »
One of my favourites is the solo in Available Light. Not only because of its gorgeous soaring sound, but also because of how it's positioned and how it helps the song evolve. I love that the chorus concludes into something different every time.

In general, Available Light is just a beautifully crafted song and one of my favourites by Rush. Oh the wind can carry...

Yep, everything about this song is great.

Online HOF

« Reply #4286 on: January 20, 2020, 07:38:33 AM »
I don’t know what more to say about Alex’s solos that hasn’t already been said, but they have a tendency to hit hard and fast and move on before you realize just what hit you. Think Spirit of Radio. I sometimes find myself playing them a few times to get a feel for “what just happened?” They’re amazingly creative and unique and not what you expect at all from a typical solo. Some examples this morning as I was flipping through a few tracks would be Analog Kid and Kid Gloves. But then he has some really good melodic solos like Available Light it Ghost of a Chance. And then there are the solos that are less solos and more devices to move the instrumental section forward like on Subdivisons or Distant Early Warning (which beautifully sets up the keyboard/drum crescendo).

Edit: Another great solo (and Lifeson track in general), Between the Wheels.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:59:41 AM by HOF »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4287 on: January 20, 2020, 08:23:47 AM »
So one thing I've been thinking about..

Rush's music is so timeless. I realize that's not a very bold statement but as I have been listening to them these are my thoughts.

The only era I have an emotional connection with is the MP and pre MP Era. I wasn't into them in high school (80's) and I briefly had a Rush surge in college around Presto. As an adult, they really weren't major players in my musical experience.

But the 80's Era, which I so despised in the 80's stands up. It has aged so well, and those songs are truly meaningful. Listening to things like Test For Echo and Vapor Trails, there is so much goodness on these albums. Which is to say that to me, one mark of a great song is really how it stands up through all of life's trials and tribulations. It's always there and it's still meaningful.

Which brings me back to this discussion about Alex Lifeson. Is he overrated, underrated, brilliant guitarist, average guitarist? I'll tell you what he is though. He is an absolutely brilliant songwriter. Writing timeless pieces of music, soundtracks to many people's lives. He writes his guitar parts for the songs first. Everytime you say someone is the best this or that, you will find someone better.

I personally think Alex Lifeson is an amazing guitarist. He's able to play in many different styles and play them well. The guitar playing is Rush is out of this world, to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4288 on: January 20, 2020, 09:09:18 AM »
Lerxst has more great solos than I can count. From the debut to Counterparts, nearly every solo he did was money.  It is nearly impossible to pick a single favorite, although it is hard to not say Limelight, or Jacob's Ladder, or the one at the end of the Presentation section of 2112, or...you see what I mean. :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4289 on: January 20, 2020, 11:41:50 AM »
So one thing I've been thinking about..

Rush's music is so timeless. I realize that's not a very bold statement but as I have been listening to them these are my thoughts.

The only era I have an emotional connection with is the MP and pre MP Era. I wasn't into them in high school (80's) and I briefly had a Rush surge in college around Presto. As an adult, they really weren't major players in my musical experience.

But the 80's Era, which I so despised in the 80's stands up. It has aged so well, and those songs are truly meaningful. Listening to things like Test For Echo and Vapor Trails, there is so much goodness on these albums. Which is to say that to me, one mark of a great song is really how it stands up through all of life's trials and tribulations. It's always there and it's still meaningful.

Which brings me back to this discussion about Alex Lifeson. Is he overrated, underrated, brilliant guitarist, average guitarist? I'll tell you what he is though. He is an absolutely brilliant songwriter. Writing timeless pieces of music, soundtracks to many people's lives. He writes his guitar parts for the songs first. Everytime you say someone is the best this or that, you will find someone better.

I personally think Alex Lifeson is an amazing guitarist. He's able to play in many different styles and play them well. The guitar playing is Rush is out of this world, to me.

This is almost exactly the feeling I was going for when I posted what I did about Alex.   I once heard a great quote about the Grateful Dead:  it was said that their magic wasn't that they could take other genres "and make them their own", it was that they could insert themselves convincingly into other genres and be authentic.  I think there's that quality in Alex's playing.   

My point on the solo, though, isn't really whether Limelight is a good solo or not (I personally love it).  But there's not a solo in his catalogue that is as instantly recognizable, nor the "show closing event" that is Comfortably Numb or Stairway (or Smoke, or Layla).  It's not a fault; Rush's music doesn't really lend itself to that, but how many of us - WHO ARE NOT FLOYD FANS - have still seen David Gilmour, bathed in a spotlight, either on top of a 30-foot fake wall, or in front of the huge circular screen wailing out that solo, sometimes extended for five or ten minutes.   How many people here WHO ARE NOT ZEPPELIN FANS can sing the solo to Stairway, or Smoke On The Water note for note?   

I'm not saying that this is fair or just, or that it is the way things ought to be; it just IS, and I think that goes at least in part to why Alex is sometimes overlooked when discussing great rock guitarists.   This is the same conversation as in the Peart thread; I'm not talking about whether we LIKE his solos or not; I'm talking something more objective, that is, awareness OUTSIDE the fan base.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4290 on: January 20, 2020, 11:45:46 AM »
My point on the solo, though, isn't really whether Limelight is a good solo or not (I personally love it).  But there's not a solo in his catalogue that is as instantly recognizable, nor the "show closing event" that is Comfortably Numb or Stairway (or Smoke, or Layla).  It's not a fault; Rush's music doesn't really lend itself to that

I wrote up something earlier but deleted it because I couldn't put it as concisely as you just did. I agree with this, because I was trying to think of a Rush guitar solo off the top of my head, and I just could not think of any that have stuck with me. I know I really enjoyed The Weapon's guitar solo, but I couldn't sing it back to you or anything. Alex is a great guitarist and does some wonderful stuff, but I've never thought of him as a shredder, or a killer soloist, or a riff machine - he just makes really good sounds with his instrument, and in the end that's all most of us want from a musician, yeah?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4291 on: January 20, 2020, 12:02:49 PM »
What makes Alex's solos great is that they are emotive.  They tell you a story inside of the song's story.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4292 on: January 20, 2020, 12:06:17 PM »
Just dropping by to say that "Scars" is such an awesome, forgotten gem! :metal

Just the grooviest thing ever! Love the bass work by Geddy. Awesome lyrics by Neil as well.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4293 on: January 20, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »
As all of us, I've been spinning Rush albums again for one and a half weeks.

I've been listening to one album for a few days, whenever I can (so, always when I'm not studying: morning coffee, shower, way to university, way back, driving to the clinic, shopping, cleaning, falling asleep - yes, I live alone  :biggrin:) in a non-chronological order. Meaning, I gave two days to Vapor Trails, even three days to Hold Your Fire, two days to Counterparts and two days to Presto. I listened to nothing else, only these albums, the whole day whenever I could.

Jumping from one album to another with sometimes 10 years or so between them made me appreciate the development this band went through. And WOW I really fell in love with Hold Your Fire. Also, Presto is a highly underrated album!

I think I'm going to go way back to Caress Of Steel tomorrow.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4294 on: January 20, 2020, 01:22:03 PM »
Some stand out Lerxst shred solos:  :metal
 Freewill
 Analog Kid
 Cut To the Chase
 Headlong Flight
 The Necromancer
 Working Man
 La Villa
 Natural Science
 2112 Grande finale
 Xanadu (ending solo)
 Between the Wheels
 Show Don't Tell (if you listen carefully)
 Virtuality (just kidding!)

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4295 on: January 20, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »
I would like to just chime in and say +1 to the love of Presto, Geddy's bass playing, and Alex's solos.  :)  Everything about Alex's playing really. 

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4296 on: January 20, 2020, 05:02:23 PM »
Just dropping by to say that "Scars" is such an awesome, forgotten gem! :metal

Just the grooviest thing ever! Love the bass work by Geddy. Awesome lyrics by Neil as well.
I believe the bassline on that tune is all done on sequencer. But still it hardly matters. It's a well constructed line with plenty of subtle alterations.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4297 on: January 20, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »
 Freewill
 Analog Kid
 Cut To the Chase
 Headlong Flight
 The Necromancer
 Working Man
 La Villa
 Natural Science
 2112 Grande finale
 Xanadu (ending solo)
 Between the Wheels

A lot of people rag on Virtuality, but it’s usually because the lyrics seem really dated (which I can overlook to an extent) but I happen to think the main riff for that song is one of the coolest and heaviest ones they ever wrote. I freakin LOVE that song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4298 on: January 20, 2020, 05:59:15 PM »
Dammit J-Dude! I had zero intention on listening to Virtuality tonight. None.

Gee thanks. :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4299 on: January 20, 2020, 06:00:31 PM »
 :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4300 on: January 20, 2020, 06:10:29 PM »
That riff in Virtuality is pretty bad ass. Definitely one of the best things about the Test for Echo album. As much as I rag on it, I did love it when it was first out and listened to it like crazy for months.  Oddly, Resist was a major afterthought for me at first, yet here were 24 years later and it's my favorite from the record.  And even though the lyrics were not one of Neil's shining moments, Dog Years is a good tune, and has a pretty bad ass riff as well.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4301 on: January 20, 2020, 07:14:44 PM »
 Freewill
 Analog Kid
 Cut To the Chase
 Headlong Flight
 The Necromancer
 Working Man
 La Villa
 Natural Science
 2112 Grande finale
 Xanadu (ending solo)
 Between the Wheels

A lot of people rag on Virtuality, but it’s usually because the lyrics seem really dated (which I can overlook to an extent) but I happen to think the main riff for that song is one of the coolest and heaviest ones they ever wrote. I freakin LOVE that song.
I too love the song Virtuality, and that main riff is a beast!  I was poking fun at the three note guitar solo as I included it on Alex's shredding solo list..   :yarr
Also, how the main riff leads into the chorus is goosebump material!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:20:33 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4302 on: January 20, 2020, 07:20:59 PM »
OK, just listened to Virtuality. The song still kind of blows. The riff is pretty badass, but there's just not much else there. Melody wise, I don't have a problem with the chorus, and I like the "Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea" line. I think that's great. But it's the "Net Boy, Net Girl" line that precedes it that makes the song basically unlistenable.

Online HOF

« Reply #4303 on: January 20, 2020, 08:18:22 PM »
Virtuality is great and the lyrics are also just fine IMO.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4304 on: January 20, 2020, 08:40:08 PM »
OK, just listened to Virtuality. The song still kind of blows. The riff is pretty badass, but there's just not much else there. Melody wise, I don't have a problem with the chorus, and I like the "Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea" line. I think that's great. But it's the "Net Boy, Net Girl" line that precedes it that makes the song basically unlistenable.

Says a song blows.

Picks out several things that are "badass" and "great".

Picks out one part that makes him cringe.

Uses that single part to call the song "unlistenable".   :rollin

I love you TAC, but you can be a scrooge.   

Ok ok....I'll get off your lawn now...