Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496653 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4200 on: January 17, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »
Yes, the greatest lyricist in the world is allowed to write a dud every now and then.  :lol

No he isn't and BTW he never did  ;D

Offline HOF

« Reply #4201 on: January 17, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »

Hand Over Fist  :tup

the bridge in that tune is right up there and another reason Presto is the last great record they made.

Presto is certainly a magical album, as evidenced by the bunnies on the cover.

Two words:  Available Light.  Possibly Rush's best post-Signals song.

[/quote]

Available Light was the first song I listened to after I heard about Neil’s passing. It’s way up there for sure (pre or post Signals).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4202 on: January 17, 2020, 12:48:55 PM »
I quite like Hand Over Fist - both the song itself and the lyrics.  It feels like Neil was able to capture something with that (like he has so many times).  I can't explain it well, but I think that song is just another example of the great lyricist that he is.

And Stadler, I was about to type something that sounded like it spoke for everyone which is ridiculous because I don't know how everyone else feels.  But my feeling is that... that kind of statement is just kinda unnecessary.  Yeah, of course not everyone participating in this thread is going to think that Neil is the best ever or Rush is the best ever.  It's cool.  And when someone says that they're generally talking about how they feel, not proclaiming it as the final word on the matter.  Why come in and say that?  Why come in and laugh at someone in the Haken thread?  And why present it like there's some kind of objectivity to it "let's not go overboard here." It's not an objective fact.    It's just as legitimate to think Neil is the greatest as it is to think someone older is.

Because I don't think it was that out of line. If Neil resonates with you more than any other lyricist ever, say that.  No harm, no foul, and I would never have said a word.   I get that we're programmed to understand "my favorite" when we see "best ever", but I think that some of the comments read slightly differently than that.  They DID seem rather objective.   And yes, if one is moving past "my favorite", there IS an objectivity.  Look, it's no harm, no crime, no disrespect to recognize that what I personally like may not have moved the zeitgeist.   I don't know why that's so hard for some to accept.  I LOVE Kiss; they are simply not the best band to ever have lived, and I'm okay with that.   

Not even listed:
https://www.rollingstone.com/interactive/lists-100-greatest-songwriters/#bob-dylan
https://www.npr.org/sections/world-cafe/2016/10/20/498540411/10-nobel-worthy-lyricists-who-aren-t-bob-dylan
https://www.therichest.com/most-influential/15-of-the-most-brilliant-lyricists-of-all-time/
https://www.indieinternational.com/blog/top-10-best-lyricists-of-all-time/
https://www.moshcam.com/articles/36815/11-lyricists-deserve-nobel-prize-literature
https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-10-best-lyricists-by-sikth-s-mikee-goodman
https://www.mandatory.com/culture/1288923-musics-12-greatest-lyricists-getting-comeuppance-right-right-now?slideshow=21031#/slide/1
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/the-25-best-rock-lyricists-104712684916.html
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/dudesweethej/top_40_rock_lyricists/2/
http://es.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/10-great-rock-and-roll-lyricis.aspx

To  be fair, here, I didn't just pick and choose;  I googled "Best rock lyricists" and copied the non-rap links in order.   These are the only two that even have him mentioned:
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_lyricists.html  (at No. 246, but behind Lupe Fiasco, and, I think, my grandmother, among others)
https://www.thetoptens.com/best-lyricists/ (at No. 16, but behind Axl Fuckin' Rose)

Lots of names in and out of there, many of them frivolous (seriously? Robert Plant?  Kurt Cobain?) but the common thread among ALL of them?   Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and John Lennon.  I don't see how this is controversial. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4203 on: January 17, 2020, 01:04:04 PM »
Good lord. 

I'm not saying it's "controversial."  I'm saying it's unnecessary.  Especially at this time.  It's just not a good time for this.  But even in general, I feel that it is unnecessary.  The "best" of any kind of art is subjective.  That's just the way it is.   There are a lot of factors that go into it.  And on a side note - I personally know 3 people who have mentioned Dylan as the best lyricist ever and then could not give a single example of a Bob Dylan lyric.  The common opinion breeds itself in some cases.  I am not, in any way whatsoever disparaging the lyrics of Bob Dylan, by the way.  I am simply saying that people a certain number of people think so, does not make it an objective fact.  It just doesn't.  And by the way, if you believe those polls, you can't pick and choose; I guess it's time to face up to Kurt Cobain being one of the best of all time. 

Behind your grandmother?  Rude.   

You think you're bringing objectivity and "the voice of reason" here, but you're not.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4204 on: January 17, 2020, 01:36:27 PM »
For a moment I thought I was in P/R.

Neil may not be the greatest lyricist ever but he doesn't have to be.

Much as I love Stadler I find it funny we're debating the merit of Neil's lyrical talent. Paul McCartney blows. Love ya Stads, just busting balls  :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4205 on: January 17, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »
Stadler, if someone tried to argue that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a legitimate standard by which to measure the most successful bands, would you want to take that as gospel, even though it took them ages to acknowledge Rush? That they haven't acknowledged Judas Priest yet? 'cause that post with all the links to lists about ranking art is kind of similar to me. Who the hell cares if someone thinks Neil is the best lyricist ever. Maybe that's their truth, what they really believe. Let them enjoy their stuff.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4206 on: January 17, 2020, 01:43:25 PM »
Good lord. 

I'm not saying it's "controversial."  I'm saying it's unnecessary.  Especially at this time.  It's just not a good time for this.  But even in general, I feel that it is unnecessary.  The "best" of any kind of art is subjective.  That's just the way it is.   There are a lot of factors that go into it.  And on a side note - I personally know 3 people who have mentioned Dylan as the best lyricist ever and then could not give a single example of a Bob Dylan lyric.  The common opinion breeds itself in some cases.  I am not, in any way whatsoever disparaging the lyrics of Bob Dylan, by the way.  I am simply saying that people a certain number of people think so, does not make it an objective fact.  It just doesn't.  And by the way, if you believe those polls, you can't pick and choose; I guess it's time to face up to Kurt Cobain being one of the best of all time. 

Behind your grandmother?  Rude.   

You think you're bringing objectivity and "the voice of reason" here, but you're not.

It is what it is, Lethean.  I'm sorry if I upset you.  Look, I get it.  He's an idol to many.  I loved the guy myself - drumming Mt. Rushmore, I've already said that "The Analog Kid" is me, the concepts of his mid-period speak to me deeply - but he was a man.   Just a man.  He would, likely as not, tell you that.  Clearly it's too soon to look at this with any objectivity, so with this reply, I'll explain myself one last time and let it go.  Be mad at me if you want, that's on you. I certainly do not mean any disrespect to the man, his legacy, or to those grieving his loss.

If he's your favorite lyricist, god bless you, seriously.  I take great comfort in the fact that you were able to connect with an artist.  For me, art is solely about connection (it's why I admire many of the artists I do; Paul Stanley does something I clearly cannot).  I love the idea that one can scribble some words into a notebook in an apartment or hotel room, and have it resonate with millions of people, thousands of miles, and tens of years later.   Neil clearly did that; I know he connected with me (and the "grandmother" line was a joke alluding to that; he's not the greatest ever, but he's not 246, after Lupe Fiasco either.  That's absurd.)  I'm not even a fan of Dylan; I much more relate to "Red Barchetta" than I do "Like A Rolling Stone" (I even have a red Jeep in my garage that I am fixing up, though there's no real connection other than the color). 

I've already said very clearly:  for those that are saying "greatest ever" in lieu of "my favorite", I'm not talking to you.  I'm just not.  I can't and won't argue with you on your favorite.  But there's not a standard you can name - EXCEPT "my favorite" - by which Neil is above Bob Dylan in terms of lyrics.  There have not been social revolutions chanting his lyrics.  When Billy Joel went behind the Iron Curtain to reach out to Soviet audiences, he did not play "Virtuality", he played "The Times They Are A-changin'".  There hasn't been a Broadway show (in fact two of them) focusing around his lyrical songbook.  I haven't even addressed the general literature prizes and accolades granted to his work.   This isn't disrespectful, this is pragmatic.   Maybe in five, ten, twenty years, all these will change.  Who knows? 

(As for the Cobain, no thanks.  He's NOT on every poll, he's just one of those that gets tossed in there periodically.  My point with the polls is not to disparage Neil or to make the case that they are definitive.  There are problems with all of them.  BUT, after a certain point, commonalities emerge.  That's the only point I'm making. If it was one list or two that left Neil off I'd blame the list.  The one or two lists with Cobain on there, I blame the list.  I'm talking about the commonalities.)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4207 on: January 17, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »
For a moment I thought I was in P/R.

Neil may not be the greatest lyricist ever but he doesn't have to be.

Much as I love Stadler I find it funny we're debating the merit of Neil's lyrical talent. Paul McCartney blows. Love ya Stads, just busting balls  :)

Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, m*******f*****.   :) :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4208 on: January 17, 2020, 01:49:13 PM »
Stadler, I realize that post was directed towards Lethean but you're really trying to argue for an objective ranking of lyricism which itself is a form of art. You can't objectively rank art that way. What if someone thinks Neil's intellectual lyrics are more important than someone singing "the times they are a-changing"? C'mon. Someone can indeed say Neil is the best lyricist ever and back that up if they want to. It's art - there is no objectivity here. Even if you get into grammar and syntax, you're still talking art.

Yes it's impressive that Dylan's lyrics were chanted in a social revolutionary moment. That's cool. I don't think that means they're "better" or that Bob Dylan is inherently more of a gifted lyricist than someone else.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4209 on: January 17, 2020, 01:52:36 PM »
Stadler, if someone tried to argue that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a legitimate standard by which to measure the most successful bands, would you want to take that as gospel, even though it took them ages to acknowledge Rush? That they haven't acknowledged Judas Priest yet? 'cause that post with all the links to lists about ranking art is kind of similar to me. Who the hell cares if someone thinks Neil is the best lyricist ever. Maybe that's their truth, what they really believe. Let them enjoy their stuff.

No, but if there were, say, ten or twelve such institutions and ALL of them snubbed Priest, at some point I'd have to assimilate that there might be some merit in that position. The RnRHoF is not a good example because the inherent bias is so evident and overt (Dave "Kiss will never get in over my dead body" Marsh).   

Look, I think it's ridiculous that he's not even NAMED on most of those.  I'm not arguing AGAINST Neil Peart.  He was a legend, and was entitled - if anyone is entitled - to the accolades he's receiving.  It's beautiful in a way to watch the degree to which his life resonated with people.   One of my favorite lyrics of all time is "I want to be someone who someone would want be" by Steve Hogarth, and he lived that in spades.  It is insane the number of drummers, at the upper echelon of the instrument, pointing to him as an influence. 

I just don't think it's necessary to honor such a private and practical and pragmatic man, a man who was aghast at hyperbole in many, many ways (what is the superstardom/celebrity that he disdained if not interpersonal hyperbole!), with over the top sentiments. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4210 on: January 17, 2020, 01:53:47 PM »
Who cares if you think it's over-the-top - why is it about you? Clearly they value his work a little more than you do. Let them grieve, mourn, celebrate the man who despite his private nature was a massive part of their lives? Sheesh, dude. Curmudgeon indeed. :) It's weird that you say he's entitled to all the accolades he receives because your very position in this discussion contradicts that.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4211 on: January 17, 2020, 02:02:38 PM »
I agree with Kattelox.

And to Stadler, it's not just that this is the wrong time.  I think it clearly is, but there's more to it than that.  The Haken thing rubbed me the wrong way too, and that was before all this.  And I'm not that big of a Haken fan - I like them, but they're not on my "best this or that" list either.  Just to clarify that while you may dismiss my comments as part of my love of Rush and grief over losing Neil, I don't have much on the line in regards to Haken at all.

If you were posting in a thread of the most popular lyricists or bands of all time, then bring on the links, bring on the stats.  Bring on the sales that show that the first 5 AC/DC albums sold way more than the first 5 Haken albums.  Bring on the polls of best lyricists.  If you want to talk about most influential, there's room for stats and the like there too, but it probably becomes less cut and dry. 

If you were posting in a thread about the "best" lyricists or best 1st 5 albums of all time, I don't think the numbers would amount to much at all, but if you wanted to throw them in, so be it.  And if you wanted to discuss why you feel the 1st 5 AC/DC albums are better than Haken, or Bob Dylan better than Neil Peart, have at it in a thread like that.  But to come into something different - a Rush thread that's all about Rush, and be like "let's not go overboard here" like that's any sort of objective stance, no.  Or the Haken v Queensryche thread and *laugh* at those who talk about the 1st 5 Haken albums being the best... no.  There is no objectivity to be had.  It comes off as belittling the person making the statement, like you have to shake your head and show them why they're wrong.  If someone was going around the whole internet or standing on street corners proclaiming Neil the best lyricist of all time like it was objective and trying to include their facts, then yeah, argue with that point.  But in a Rush thread?  You should be able to just accept that people mean that Neil is the greatest to *them* and other fellow like minded Rush fans.  And if you really think a certain individual is trying to proclaim it as objective fact... I don't know; in this context, I say just let it go and then maybe debate them on it at another time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4212 on: January 17, 2020, 02:08:50 PM »
:hifive: Lethean!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4213 on: January 17, 2020, 02:27:34 PM »
Stadler, I realize that post was directed towards Lethean but you're really trying to argue for an objective ranking of lyricism which itself is a form of art. You can't objectively rank art that way. What if someone thinks Neil's intellectual lyrics are more important than someone singing "the times they are a-changing"? C'mon. Someone can indeed say Neil is the best lyricist ever and back that up if they want to. It's art - there is no objectivity here. Even if you get into grammar and syntax, you're still talking art.

Yes it's impressive that Dylan's lyrics were chanted in a social revolutionary moment. That's cool. I don't think that means they're "better" or that Bob Dylan is inherently more of a gifted lyricist than someone else.

Respectfully, I don't think you and Lethean are fully understanding my point.  If either of you are feeling that this is "belittling" I am telling you flat out you are not understanding the point.  I very, very clearly said, if you think those lyrics are more important to you, I am not talking about that.  If you are saying they are more important GENERALLY, you should expect to have to back that up. "Because I think so" isn't a standard in and of itself.  Can I say "my house is the tallest building in the world".  Well, why Stads?  "Because I think so".  Doesn't fly.  There's got to be SOME standard even if it's implicit.  I feel bad that the man passed away, but that doesn't change any of this.  I suppose there might be some merit in the idea that "well, I'm grieving, so let me say he's the greatest of all time objectively speaking!" but I'm not sure there's any healthy point to that.

As for the Haken thread, it's the same thing.  If the intent is to use "greatest" to say "my favorite", then so be it.   It's all about intent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4214 on: January 17, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »
Not picking sides here, but why is Bob Dylan so highly regarded?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4215 on: January 17, 2020, 02:32:45 PM »
I'll admit Bob Dylan is a wordsmith.  His voice is a huge turnoff for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4216 on: January 17, 2020, 02:34:15 PM »

Respectfully, I don't think you and Lethean are fully understanding my point.  If either of you are feeling that this is "belittling" I am telling you flat out you are not understanding the point.  I very, very clearly said, if you think those lyrics are more important to you, I am not talking about that.  If you are saying they are more important GENERALLY, you should expect to have to back that up. "Because I think so" isn't a standard in and of itself.  Can I say "my house is the tallest building in the world".  Well, why Stads?  "Because I think so".  Doesn't fly.  There's got to be SOME standard even if it's implicit.  I feel bad that the man passed away, but that doesn't change any of this.  I suppose there might be some merit in the idea that "well, I'm grieving, so let me say he's the greatest of all time objectively speaking!" but I'm not sure there's any healthy point to that.

As for the Haken thread, it's the same thing.  If the intent is to use "greatest" to say "my favorite", then so be it.   It's all about intent.

It's art, dude. The size of your house is an objective thing. I don't try to tell you to 'back it up' when you think that milquetoast limey is the single greatest living musician. Why do you want to die on this hill? It's art. Furthermore, ESPECIALLY in this thread, at this time? (the irony of my participation in and resulting extension of this discussion is not lost on me)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4217 on: January 17, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »
I also agree that this isn't the time to argue about who's the best "whatever".  We should be reflecting back on one of the greatest bands of all time and mourning the loss of Neil Peart.  As Geddy Lee once said, "even though he's still the new guy, he's just as important."  I love that.  They had such an incredible bond.  It's been 10 days and I still can't believe he's gone.  Even if it were Alex or Geddy, I would still feel the same astronomical amount of loss.  I've been listening to nothing but Rush all week.  I've been a fan for 34 years.  These guys were my musical hero's.  My most favorite band ever.  I'm not just mourning Neil, but also feeling an incredible amount of sympathy for his family, Alex and Geddy, and every single fan out there who's been touched by the amazing journey of Rush.  They've been through the lowest of lows and highest of highs spanning over 40 years.  I couldn't be more proud to be a Rush fan.  :)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4218 on: January 17, 2020, 02:39:51 PM »

He is? I mean is there something in the mainstream? Or is it just accepted as fact?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4219 on: January 17, 2020, 02:41:53 PM »

He is? I mean is there something in the mainstream? Or is it just accepted as fact?

Mainstream.  He's always been touted as one of the best by fans and critics. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4220 on: January 17, 2020, 02:46:29 PM »
I know that, but has he written anything in the last 40 years that means anything? I don't know, I'm just asking. I feel like he wrote some so called great lyrics in the 60's and now everyone is supposed to say yay Dylan?

Like I said, I don't know and I'm not familiar with what he wrote.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4221 on: January 17, 2020, 02:47:31 PM »
He still makes albums and tours.  Yes.  I'm not familiar with any of it because his voice isn't my cup of tea.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4222 on: January 17, 2020, 02:56:30 PM »
Stadler, I think you're the one is not getting my point, or perhaps didn't read the entire last post. 

Kattelox's last point is spot on.

To add to that, this is not the thread where anyone should have to "back that up."  It's not about unhealthily having to agree that Neil is the greatest.  You don't have to agree at all.  But for one thing, there is no objectively backing any of this up.  So the person who thinks Neil is objectively the best or objectively the greatest is just as wrong as the person who thinks Bob Dylan is.  Katt is dead on about the house example.  You can measure it.  Either it's the tallest or not.  In the case of the greatest lyricist, band, singer, writer, painter, any artist at all - there's really no such thing.

There is no such thing as the best.  It might fun to have a debate about who's better and to try to throw in some stats to back up your position in the right thread, right place, right time, etc.  That's not what you've been doing.  You've been trying to insert objectivity where there simply is none to be had.  There doesn't "have to be some standard" - there actually is no standard.  Best and greatest are subjective words and always have been.  If your wife tells you that you're the best husband ever, are you going to say "well, come on, let's not go overboard.  I haven't done, x, y, and z that better husbands do."  No, of course not.  Or if she posts on social media that she has the best husband ever, are you going to take issue with it?  What about when Rush, or Dream Theater, or probably a million other bands, say, "we have the best fans in the world."  Should we correct them?  No.  Best is a subjective word.  That's the default.  That's what you should think someone means every time they use that word unless they're giving you reason to think otherwise.

If they haven't given you reason to think otherwise, saying you have to laugh is indeed belittling.

----

Edit:

Hey Stadler.  I'm editing this instead of quoting and making a new post because I know you tend to read and reply one by one instead of reading all new posts first (I sometimes do as well) and also to not bump it up to the most recent thing in this thread for those who'd just like to to move on. 

In my first sentence above, I felt like you perhaps didn't read the whole posts because I thought what I was saying was pretty clear... but got to thinking that maybe it isn't completely clear so I'm going to add to it.

I understand that you're distinguishing between the person who says "the best and greatest" to mean "the best/greatest to that person," or "in that person's opinion" etc etc vs the person who is trying to objectively say no, it's not their personal opinion - X artist is in fact the greatest.  I understand that point and I know your comments aren't directed to the person who uses best subjectively.  You're not belittling someone for their personal taste and I get that.

However - a couple things.  You seem to think that there is an objective best/greatest, that such a thing exists, and that you know who it is.  But there isn't an objective truth here (see above).  So even if user A were to come in and post that Neil is definitively, factually the best ever and that's just the way it is, you posting that no, it's actually Bob Dylan (or Cohen, etc) only makes you just as wrong as user A - so now you're just both wrong.  But no one did that here, or the Haken thread.  People just used the term best/greatest without specifying objective vs subjective.  And so you coming in to correct them, either because you assumed someone's intent was "objective" or because you want to make sure no one's intent is objective "just in case" is indeed belittling.  No one was really saying that or hinting at it.  In this thread they were just celebrating what made Neil so great. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 07:39:09 PM by Lethean »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4223 on: January 17, 2020, 03:00:58 PM »
He still makes albums and tours.  Yes.  I'm not familiar with any of it because his voice isn't my cup of tea.

Just checked wiki...apparently has 38 albums. :lol :lol

Nevermind.. :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4224 on: January 17, 2020, 03:01:12 PM »

At this point, it's kind of an accepted thing, but I had a couple thoughts about this.  First of all, I can't think of a darn thing that Dylan did in the last 50 years.  I'm sure if I look I'll find a bunch of albums and other what not, but none of it holds in the public mindset the way his 60s stuff did.  That being said, I'm not sure why we still think he's (one of) the best based on stuff he did half a century ago given the sheer volume of what's been done since (in other words, his continued reputation seems to rest entirely on very old stuff).  Second, as concerns Lethean's point about people saying Dylan is the best and not being able to quote a single thing, and while I'm not necessarily a good judge of things, the only Dylan song I can think of off the top of my head is Blowin' in the Wind.  I know he wrote some of the stuff that Peter, Paul & Mary did (which I grew up on), but I'm not sure which songs.  I know there's a song with a video where he's paging through cards, but I don't know anything about that.  That's a long way of saying that the "Dylan myth" perpetuates itself (sort of like the whole "John Myung wrote great lyrics so I wish he'd write more" thing, but on a much larger scale).

All the stuff with Stadler, Lethean and Kox in the past hour or so is very odd.  Stadler seems to be implying (or saying expressly) that there is a certain level of popularity or commonality of opinion that turns something otherwise subjective into something objective.  This is something I feel like Stadler has argued (sometimes vigorously) against many times in the past.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4225 on: January 17, 2020, 03:44:30 PM »
The thing is, is that I think we are forgetting that to a great many people, Neil was the equal of Dylan. Just the very fact that Neil’s lyrics were the most searched lyrics on the entire Internet this week speaks volumes. He may not be quite as well-known, but those who are aware of him usually mention him in the same breath as Dylan and Lennon as far as his lyrics go

Well said.  I think the number of people who were dismissive of Rush for far too long is large, and it seems like a lot of people who have come around on them in recent years are suddenly realizing that, "hey, some of these lyrics are pretty awesome, too!"  And of course we have the younger generation getting into them in recent years without having their listens tainted by every review between the sun and moon making fun of Geddy's voices and calling their fans nerds. 

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4226 on: January 17, 2020, 03:52:55 PM »
When Billy Joel went behind the Iron Curtain to reach out to Soviet audiences, he did not play "Virtuality", he played "The Times They Are A-changin'".

That's not really fair. Virtuality had not yet been written.  :P

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4227 on: January 17, 2020, 08:45:59 PM »
See, I think compared to Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure, I don't find Power Windows catchy at all.

It's an unconventional album. It somehow manages to fuse a bunch of disparate elements and make it cohesive. Hold Your Fire smoothed out some of the rough edges of that approach.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4228 on: January 17, 2020, 08:49:37 PM »
Let's all play a game, because I have obviously missed the boat. Can everyone tell me what I'm missing on Power Windows? I'd love if you could go song by song and tell me what it is that makes each song so special?

. . .

All in all, Power Windows is sandwiched between two pretty flawed, but much more accessible albums in Grace Under Pressure and Hold Your Fire.

On the last point, I go back and forth with how I rank GUP, POW and HYF, but they're all bottom third Rush albums for me.  However, I don't agree that GUP and HYF are any more accessible.  In fact, I'd say that GUP is probably the least accessible of the three because of its dark nature and awful production.  I also disagree that there's a lack of catchy melodies on POW (the chorus to Marathon is great in this regard).

As far as the songs, hearing The Big Money was such a letdown to people like me who were hoping the band would reverse course from the mistake that was most of GUP.  The production (of the whole album) is better than GUP, but the bad 80s electronic drums, Geddy's bass tone, and the prominence of the 80s keyboards doom the whole thing.

Grand Designs sounded much better when it was resurrected in 2012/13, but the album version is sterile, unfulfilling, and full of GUP-like keyboard blasts.

Manhatten Project is probably the second best song on the album -- particularly the "pilot of Enola Gay flying out of the shock wave" line.  But it's not on the same level and Rush's best songs.

Marathon is very much the standout.  The bass line is great, and that Wal tone that ruins most of the album isn't as obtrusive for whatever reason.

Side 2 is almost entirely rubbish.  I don't get the appeal of Territories AT ALL (musically speaking, and when the music falls flat, it can't be saved by even the best lyrics).  Emotion Detector and Mystic Rhythms are just awful.  Live versions of MR from the POW tour are no better.  The live versions from the Counterparts and R30 tours are better, but the source material is so lacking that it's hard to save.  My opinion of Middletown Dreams has changed a bit as a result of a recent listen.  If you listen to it on its own and not sandwiched between two of the band's worst songs of all time, it sounds a bit fresher, and it isn't marred to the excessive keyboards on most of the other songs.

Interesting analysis. Don't understand or agree with it, but it is fascinating.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4229 on: January 17, 2020, 08:51:13 PM »
See, I think compared to Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure, I don't find Power Windows catchy at all.

It's an unconventional album. It somehow manages to fuse a bunch of disparate elements and make it cohesive. Hold Your Fire smoothed out some of the rough edges of that approach.

I find Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure practically the same album. One is a build up to Power Windows, and the other is a decompression.

I think with Power Windows, they took it as far as they could. For me, it was too far, but obviously for others, they knocked it out of the park. Even if It's not my favorite to listen to, it's definitely an admirable album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4230 on: January 17, 2020, 08:56:55 PM »
Thank you Lethean, I appreciate that.

I joke about a lot of things, but I really wanted to have a discussion on this. And you did that. Seems we have a general agreement on most of it, it's just that you like it more. :D

To me, it took witnessing Marathon live to really appreciate it. And like you also mention the live version of Mystic Rhythms, which I agree with you, it is far more immediate and powerful live.

This sounds like simple answer and maybe it is, but Rush songs are to be experienced live. But I'm an unapologetic full-on obsessed fan boy so what do I know.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4231 on: January 17, 2020, 09:00:30 PM »
It's funny to think about Grace Under Pressure and how things would have turned out if Steve Lillywhite hadn't bailed, since it would have affected Power Windows as well.  If Lillywhite stays on, maybe Grace Under Pressure is better (and I like it a lot, but Side 2 could have been better), and maybe he sticks around for the next album, and we don't get Peter Collins coming to produce what turned out to be Power Windows.  I like the way it turned out, honestly.  Despite some flaws, Side 1 of P/G is killer, and Between the Wheels is great as well.

Interesting question. Certainly one of the major "what if's"  Don't have an answer for that, but all of the Rush albums that came after would have been affected by it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4232 on: January 17, 2020, 09:06:50 PM »
Question for the hardcore Rush fans who know the live history well: the 80s songs, I'm thinking particularly from the trilogy of Signals - GUP - PW, did they continue to play those songs live in the late 80s? The 90s? Any hope for the 2000s, maybe even the final tour? And if so how did they do the synth sounds; were they on tape or was Geddy playing a board for some parts? Just wondering if the actual 'sound' of the keyboard patches changed over the years, if they played the songs live at all.

The farther away you go from that period the more samples were triggered but those samples were triggered by the band members themselves. Basically getting did not want to remain a slave to his keyboard when he really wanted to play his bass.  So it was cool for a while until it got old.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4233 on: January 17, 2020, 09:15:05 PM »
TFE has my favorite opening 5 of any post PoW album.

And Time and Motion is among my favorites from the 90s.

I think the opening and closing are somewhat weak, but the rest is 99.9 Percent Grade A.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4234 on: January 17, 2020, 09:19:58 PM »

On this, though, we disagree. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Feedback.  But then again, I'm a sucker for a) those kinds of roots/covers albums, and b) the song selection is stellar.  Believe it or not, "Summertime Blues" is one of my favorite songs, as is "For What It's Worth", and I have "The Seeker" (the original) as one of my ring tones. 

By the way, it was revelatory how influential The Who were, given that their debut was a Zeppelin knock off of sorts (though the Yardbirds are in there, and that's Page).

Feedback? What's not to love? Well aside from Crossroads....Don't need to hear that again. Even live.....  That R30 encore was the worst encore they ever did. Well...Ok maybe it was R40 by a nose.