Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496564 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4025 on: January 13, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »
I'm listening to Hemispheres right now, on Repeat.  On my second time through right now.  ♫♫

:metal :metal :metal  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4026 on: January 13, 2020, 09:54:50 PM »
That's the beauty of those early albums. They are so damn short that you can listen to them twice in just over an hour!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4027 on: January 13, 2020, 11:43:10 PM »
So much Rush threads! Not sure where to put this...

My junior year in high school many of us went on an overnight retreat (Jesuit school, we did shit like this). The theme song for our retreat was Closer to the Heart. I was just getting in to Rush at the time so for me and my couple friends who liked Rush this was awesome. It wasn't some pop song everyone knew because it was played on the radio/MTV all the time. We felt we were a select few who knew of the almighty Rush - this was in the early 90s in the PNW, where Grunge was fast becoming king. They played the song before every gathering, meal, I swear like 30 times a day. And we never tired of it. Now I can't hear that song without thinking of that retreat. Unfortunately that is kind of a bad thing since I can't seem to enjoy the song on its own merits.

Anyway... my Rush story for the day.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4028 on: January 14, 2020, 04:15:30 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lOIxVrwqllA&feature=youtu.be
Maybe the best live cover DT ever did. Some improvisation in a Rush song?! :heart
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4029 on: January 14, 2020, 08:29:12 AM »
"Closer To The Heart" is my ring tone for my parents. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4030 on: January 15, 2020, 08:32:01 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/HeavyFknMetal/photos/a.1760794513967180/2717081838338438/?type=3&theater

I just commented under this post that this picture was not the last one of these three together, but was taken in 2006 or 07 during the making of Snakes & Arrows.
A few minutes later, my comment was gone and now I can't comment anymore, neither can I like the page, contact the page or do anything else.

I can't believe shitty pages like this use the death of a beloved musician to post clickbait pictures.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4031 on: January 15, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »
Since many of us are re-listening to Rush lately, would anyone here be interested in a RUSH Survivor? I did one about 3-4 years ago, so it might be time to do it again.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4032 on: January 15, 2020, 10:03:07 AM »
Since many of us are re-listening to Rush lately, would anyone here be interested in a RUSH Survivor? I did one about 3-4 years ago, so it might be time to do it again.

-Marc.

Yes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4033 on: January 15, 2020, 10:25:57 AM »

-Marc.

Yes.

Me too please!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4034 on: January 15, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »
As long as Power Windows doesn't win!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4035 on: January 15, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
What's a survivor?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4036 on: January 15, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »

That'd be interesting.  Do an Albums survivor, and then skew a few extra song slots into the top 5 albums.  Didn't someone do this with Dream Theater a while back?  Doesn't make sense to give CoS 2 songs, but then MP or Power Windows only get 2 songs.  I like the idea of a skewing more songs to 'better' albums.

What's a survivor?

Not sure if serious?  If so, it's like the show, but with songs.  We vote out the songs one by one, in order to get a representative stack ranking of best-to-worst songs for each album. There's a whole sub-forum dedicated to it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4037 on: January 15, 2020, 10:34:15 AM »
Yeah but whenever I look there's like, 4 votes on any given poll, so I don't know how representative it is  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4038 on: January 15, 2020, 10:39:03 AM »
Yeah but whenever I look there's like, 4 votes on any given poll, so I don't know how representative it is  :lol

Rush will likely get more participation than the normal bunch.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4039 on: January 15, 2020, 10:50:51 AM »

What's a survivor?

Not sure if serious?  If so, it's like the show, but with songs.  We vote out the songs one by one, in order to get a representative stack ranking of best-to-worst songs for each album. There's a whole sub-forum dedicated to it.

So every single Rush song is listed, and everyone votes for their least favorite?  Then you keep doing that until one song is left?

Kind of sounds like torture, but I guess I would do it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #4040 on: January 15, 2020, 11:20:17 AM »
Super down for a Rush survivor.  I'm hoping Power Windows wins.  ;D :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4041 on: January 15, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/HeavyFknMetal/photos/a.1760794513967180/2717081838338438/?type=3&theater

I just commented under this post that this picture was not the last one of these three together, but was taken in 2006 or 07 during the making of Snakes & Arrows.
A few minutes later, my comment was gone and now I can't comment anymore, neither can I like the page, contact the page or do anything else.

I can't believe shitty pages like this use the death of a beloved musician to post clickbait pictures.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that's when the picture's from?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4042 on: January 15, 2020, 11:41:07 AM »
I'm listening to Hemispheres right now, on Repeat.  On my second time through right now.  ♫♫

:metal :metal :metal  :metal
I put in Hemispheres cd last night while driving during a snow storm.  I realised that this is the perfect album to drive to in these conditions.  The title track especially is a perfect soundtrack to the hyperspace feel of the snowflakes coming at your windshield. I drove around on the back country roads longer than necessary to take in the whole album this way.  We now have a foot of snow today. "I bring fire to keep you warm, through the endless winter storm" ..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4043 on: January 15, 2020, 11:43:11 AM »
I realised that this is the perfect album to drive to in these conditions. 

Hemisperes is the perfect album to drive in any conditions!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4044 on: January 15, 2020, 11:47:48 AM »

What's a survivor?

So every single Rush song is listed, and everyone votes for their least favorite?  Then you keep doing that until one song is left?

Kind of sounds like torture, but I guess I would do it.

One album at a time.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4045 on: January 15, 2020, 11:51:46 AM »

It was mentioned in Neil's thread that it was from the Making of Documentary of S&A.

(Also, it couldn't have been from recently, Alex looks totally different now.)
any rock can be made to roll

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4046 on: January 15, 2020, 11:54:16 AM »
It was me that said it was from the Doc of S&A.  They all were walking through  the woods next to the studio and they took that selfie.  They show it in the Doc.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4047 on: January 15, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »
I realised that this is the perfect album to drive to in these conditions. 

Hemisperes is the perfect album to drive in any conditions!
Cool, I'll check it out. I haven't heard Hemisperes yet, but I do have Hemispheres..  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4048 on: January 15, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »

That'd be interesting.  Do an Albums survivor, and then skew a few extra song slots into the top 5 albums.  Didn't someone do this with Dream Theater a while back?  Doesn't make sense to give CoS 2 songs, but then MP or Power Windows only get 2 songs.  I like the idea of a skewing more songs to 'better' albums.

Pretty sure this was done with a Queensryche survivor that was going on at the time I started posting here somewhere in the 2-3 years ago range.

Lethean.  The Survivor basically goes one album at a time to rank the songs on each album.  Then, X number of songs from each album are put up against each other.  It's not torturous (as it would be if you basically put every song and went one by one).

It was mentioned in Neil's thread that it was from the Making of Documentary of S&A.

(Also, it couldn't have been from recently, Alex looks totally different now.)

Thanks.  Since I believe you're credible, I went to that photo on FB and basically duped your comment (just to see what would happen).  I then was challenged as to how I knew that to be the case.

It was me that said it was from the Doc of S&A.  They all were walking through  the woods next to the studio and they took that selfie.  They show it in the Doc.

Is it from the S&A live DVD (which I haven't gotten around to buying)?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4049 on: January 15, 2020, 12:21:57 PM »
No. From the S&A album. There was a special addition CD released.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4050 on: January 15, 2020, 12:59:42 PM »
I have a special edition S&A on DVD, with the album in a 5.1 mix, and on the DVD is that doc.  It's the same documentary I noted where Nick had to tell Neil that his four different verse drum patterns "lacked energy", and could he possibly go back in and give it another go?   And Neil looked at him as if he asked him to eat a bag of crap, muttered "Fucker!" and went back in and destroyed it (they cut to Alex and Geddy pumping their fists and clapping along to his playing). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4051 on: January 15, 2020, 01:16:04 PM »
I have a special edition S&A on DVD, with the album in a 5.1 mix, and on the DVD is that doc.  It's the same documentary I noted where Nick had to tell Neil that his four different verse drum patterns "lacked energy", and could he possibly go back in and give it another go?   And Neil looked at him as if he asked him to eat a bag of crap, muttered "Fucker!" and went back in and destroyed it (they cut to Alex and Geddy pumping their fists and clapping along to his playing).

Would love to see that but I couldn't find it on youtube.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4052 on: January 15, 2020, 02:14:05 PM »

PW was my debut introduction album to becoming a Rush fan.  I just got through listening to it and it never disappoints.   :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4053 on: January 15, 2020, 02:15:29 PM »

PW was my debut introduction album to becoming a Rush fan.  I just got through listening to it and it never disappoints.   :hefdaddy

Permanent Waves?

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4054 on: January 15, 2020, 02:27:48 PM »

Permanent Waves?

Yes Tim!  That one too, absolutely!  :tup  In fact, since Monday morning I've listening to Fly By Night up through Power Windows and not a single song was disappointing. :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4055 on: January 15, 2020, 02:32:37 PM »
Power Windows is Rush's magnum opus.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4056 on: January 15, 2020, 02:40:37 PM »

Yes, it is one of their many master works for sure.  :hefdaddy

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4057 on: January 15, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »

-Marc.

I'm in!  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4058 on: January 15, 2020, 03:25:00 PM »
No. From the S&A album. There was a special addition CD released.

So...is this something that's no longer available (except on eBay maybe)?  I found what I assume are some very short clips from it, but I'd love to buy and watch the whole thing.

Yes, it is one of their many master works for sure.  :hefdaddy

It's definitely their best album released between May 1984 and October 1989.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4059 on: January 15, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »
So, regarding Power Windows...…

I became a Rush fan in junior high 81-82. I was shocked when Signals came out. I was becoming a hard rock fan at this point. When Grace Under Pressure came out, I had zero interest in it. Rush was another band singing about the Cold War, nuclear war, whatever in 1984. I found it very unoriginal. Plus, as a hard rock fan, I just wasn't on board with their sound or their look.
Power Windows came out in the fall of my senior year, and I got nagged to go to the concert, which for whatever reason, I didn't think was all that great. I listened to my friend's Power Windows tape, and it was just so damned keyboardy.
I was knee deep into Iron Maiden, Dio, UFO during this period. Rush had no real appeal to me.

I did eventually come back to them after seeing the Hold Your Fire tour..

Let's all play a game, because I have obviously missed the boat. Can everyone tell me what I'm missing on Power Windows? I'd love if you could go song by song and tell me what it is that makes each song so special?

I'll start....

The Big Money
I find this song extremely average. I don't hate it, but the keyboards are too heavy on this. I've heard it a million times and while it would never make my 80's playlist, I can tolerate it.

Grand Designs
I feel like there's a decent song in here somewhere. But it just feels so buried under 1000 layers. I can feel the build in it, but it never gives me "that moment".

Manhattan Project
This is a song I really like, and one of 3 from this album that makes my Rush 80's Compilation CD. It has a lot of catchy parts. I like the vocals on this as well. The "flying out of the shockwave" part still gives me goosebumps. The keyboard solo that immediately follows that is really cool and textural. This is probably my favorite song on the album.

Marathon
Marathon is another really good song and the second of 3 to make my Comp CD. But I can't help but feel that had I not experienced it live, I might not have liked it as much. Still I don't have anything to complain about here.

Territories
The third song to make my Comp CD. When I was younger this was my favorite song on the album. It felt heavier than the rest. I still like it, but it hasn't aged as well as I had hoped, honestly. It's still good.

Middletown Dreams
Similar to Grand Designs, I feel like there's a good song in here. I definitely prefer it to Grand Designs though, and it has aged fairly well. I like the chorus and feel that it saves the song. I like the solo section, but I feel the climax just misses. I think it has to do with that bridge section between the solo and the ending chorus. Feels unnecessary to me and distracting. And except for Neil, the final "They live in Middletown"s lack some much needed oomph.

Emotion Detector
I'm sorry. Don't get it. At All.

Mystic Rhythms
This isn't a bad song, but I think the studio version is terrible. Too many keyboardy fills here and there. Like a menace mosquito. But the Show Of Hands version of this is amazing. Seeing and hearing the live version is 10 times better than the studio version.

All in all, Power Windows is sandwiched between two pretty flawed, but much more accessible albums in Grace Under Pressure and Hold Your Fire. To me, you can usually trace a path from one Rush album to another. They say they pushed the "long song" concept to the max with Hemispheres. Seems with Power Windows, they pushed the keyboard/technology thing to the max. Maybe it's the Hemispheres of its era. Perhaps it's a generational thing. I've seen people not care for Hemispheres. I think it's nothing short of amazing that they went from Hemispheres to Power Windows in just 8 years.

All I know is the lack of catchy melodies and the overboard keyboards make this album easily one of my 5 least favorite Rush albums.