Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496734 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #3990 on: September 19, 2019, 02:11:28 PM »
Today is Neil's 66th birthday!

Geddy wrote this on his Instagram:

"I've had the enduring and consummate pleasure of working beside this awesome dude for over 40 years, the bonus of which (aside from the laughs) was a nightly ringside seat to one of the greatest exhibitions of drumming imaginable... and now it’s time to wish our brother, bandmate and fellow comedian "Peke" a Most Supremely Happy Birthday !!"

Aaaaaaand another nickname surfaces.....

Yeah, but he'll always be the "new guy".   :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3991 on: September 24, 2019, 02:58:18 PM »
Today is Neil's 66th birthday!

Geddy wrote this on his Instagram:

"I've had the enduring and consummate pleasure of working beside this awesome dude for over 40 years, the bonus of which (aside from the laughs) was a nightly ringside seat to one of the greatest exhibitions of drumming imaginable... and now it’s time to wish our brother, bandmate and fellow comedian "Peke" a Most Supremely Happy Birthday !!"

Aaaaaaand another nickname surfaces.....

Yeah, but he'll always be the "new guy".   :biggrin:

That is true.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3992 on: October 24, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
I’m meeting Geddy Lee at a book signing a week from tomorrow.

In a way, I’m super excited...but OTOH, I despise the assembly line method that are used in meet and greets these days. It’s literally the most impersonal way you could ever meet someone.

Anyone been to any of the book signings? Are they allowing people to bring anything else to sign?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3993 on: October 24, 2019, 12:58:11 PM »

In a way, I’m super excited...but OTOH, I despise the assembly line method that are used in meet and greets these days. It’s literally the most impersonal way you could ever meet someone.

Anyone been to any of the book signings? Are they allowing people to bring anything else to sign?

I don't disagree about the assembly line thing, but I'm not sure how else they could do it and not have it result in chaos.

My understanding is that you get the book signed, and that's it.  AND I believe you have to buy the book at the time of the signing (i.e., you can't bring a book that you already own and get it signed).  I could be wrong about that, so maybe call the store in advance and ask.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3994 on: October 24, 2019, 01:48:46 PM »
He was here a few months ago for one of those book signings.  I couldn't go, but a friend did, and he said the book was the only thing Geddy would sign.  You almost have to do it that way otherwise fans will bring tons of stuff to sign and the line will last 8 hours.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3995 on: October 25, 2019, 06:38:02 AM »
You have to buy the book directly from the bookstore hosting the event. Can’t bring your own. If you buy the ticket for the event, and can’t make it, you still get the book signed (as long as there are quantities remaining). When Geddy signs the book, it is personalized. Not sure about the remaining stock. Also, no pictures will be allowed and no other memorabilia will be signed. I called the Austin bookstore for Monday’s event and that was their explanation. I can’t make it to signing event (so fucking pissed..last minute business trip). My wife says she can go to the event and get a signed copy. Not sure if I should bite the bullet and let her get it signed...wouldn’t feel special Lol.

What do you guys think? Should she get a book signed for me?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3996 on: October 25, 2019, 06:43:32 AM »
Yes.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3997 on: October 25, 2019, 06:46:06 AM »
I would; not perfect, but better than nothing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3998 on: October 25, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
You have to buy the book directly from the bookstore hosting the event. Can’t bring your own. If you buy the ticket for the event, and can’t make it, you still get the book signed (as long as there are quantities remaining). When Geddy signs the book, it is personalized. Not sure about the remaining stock. Also, no pictures will be allowed and no other memorabilia will be signed. I called the Austin bookstore for Monday’s event and that was their explanation. I can’t make it to signing event (so fucking pissed..last minute business trip). My wife says she can go to the event and get a signed copy. Not sure if I should bite the bullet and let her get it signed...wouldn’t feel special Lol.

If your choice is between getting a signed, personalized book, a signed, but not personalized book, an unsigned book, or no book at all, I'd go for the signed, personalized book (unless you think you might want to sell it at some point, in which case the signed, but not personalized book would be better).

At the moment, I have no book at all and am hoping he does another signing in Southern California (although my willingness to stand in long lines grows in inverse proportion to my age).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3999 on: October 25, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »

If you can't go to another signing, then why not?  Also, even though you're not supposed to pose for pictures, I think you can take some from the line.  So maybe she could have someone take a picture or even video while he's signing it and she's explaining that it's for her husband.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4000 on: November 02, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »

Coming up on a year since I went to my signing.  He signs the book and that's it.  When he signed for My Favorite Headache 19 years ago you were allowed two things for him to sign but that is not the case here. Had to wait in the freezing cold for a few hours but it was totally worth it for me just to personally thank him. Your mileage may vary. He's one of a very select few I would endure that hassle for.

Also he has a different signature for this book than he did for Rush for whatever reason.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4001 on: November 02, 2019, 10:25:46 AM »

I don't disagree about the assembly line thing, but I'm not sure how else they could do it and not have it result in chaos.

My understanding is that you get the book signed, and that's it.  AND I believe you have to buy the book at the time of the signing (i.e., you can't bring a book that you already own and get it signed).  I could be wrong about that, so maybe call the store in advance and ask.

Book is included in the price.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4002 on: November 02, 2019, 10:28:30 AM »

I would want the experience myself, but at least you'd have the book.  I'd also prepare your wife for what she's about to experience.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4003 on: November 02, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »
Staying with the book theme....Anyone else get their copy of Wandering The Face Of The Earth?

Totally hardcore in the Big Book of Bass kind of way. It's going to take me a while to get through this one too.  The attention to detail is stunning.

Although, if you don't really care who Rush played with and when throughout the years this book probably isn't for you. There  probably aren't enough road stories to make it interesting for you. Not as obsessive about the pre-history of the band as some might be, but it covers that era which is probably as comprehensive as its ever going to get.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4004 on: November 04, 2019, 11:59:57 AM »
Staying with the book theme....Anyone else get their copy of Wandering The Face Of The Earth?

My birthday was just over a week ago, so I generally don't buy things for myself between the beginning of October and Christmas.  But it's on my Amazon wish list.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4005 on: November 04, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »

My birthday was just over a week ago, so I generally don't buy things for myself between the beginning of October and Christmas.  But it's on my Amazon wish list.
many happy returns then. Arr-40!
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4006 on: November 04, 2019, 10:17:11 PM »
I would rather try and catch him on the street somewhere and just say thanks.

btw, I don't recall seeing it posted yet:

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/11791

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4007 on: November 05, 2019, 10:36:16 AM »

many happy returns then. Arr-40!

Thank you, sir.

Let me know when it gets released on 8-track and reel-to-reel.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4008 on: November 05, 2019, 10:40:55 AM »
^^^ I just caught that; happy birthday! 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4009 on: November 06, 2019, 01:32:20 PM »
^^^ I just caught that; happy birthday!

:tup :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4010 on: November 06, 2019, 07:51:52 PM »

I had been hoping to sleep in and celebrate Buy Nothing Day in style. So much for that idea.  Let's hope they print the lyrics this time.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4011 on: November 06, 2019, 08:03:12 PM »

Happy Birthday. I suppose it will be worth the wait, but I never do for stuff such as this  (I did wait to get Geddy's book because I had to buy one for the signing which I assumed was going to happen.)

Winding my way through the Exit...Stage Left Tour now. You really get  sense of how much they toured as their career took off when you view in the context as it was happening. Thought I knew quite a bit about who they shared the bill with, but what I thought I knew only scratches the surface.  Didn't know they played with Heart and Horselips in the '70s for example. The word really was out there that they would play anywhere with anyone.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4012 on: November 07, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »

Happy Birthday. I suppose it will be worth the wait, but I never do for stuff such as this  (I did wait to get Geddy's book because I had to buy one for the signing which I assumed was going to happen.)

Thanks!

I tried to buy the Book of Bass on Amazon last year, but it kept getting pushed back and pushed back, and they eventually cancelled the order.  I haven't bought it since on the off chance he'll do another signing near me.  One of these days when I get around to visiting Toronto, I intend to buy Blue Jays tickets in the area where GL has his seats.  If that happens, maybe I'll bring the book and ask him to sign.

Didn't know they played with . . . Horselips in the '70s

That's not a nice thing to say about Neil!  Seriously...never heard of 'em.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4013 on: November 09, 2019, 09:39:01 AM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4014 on: November 17, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »

Thanks!

I tried to buy the Book of Bass on Amazon last year, but it kept getting pushed back and pushed back, and they eventually cancelled the order.  I haven't bought it since on the off chance he'll do another signing near me.  One of these days when I get around to visiting Toronto, I intend to buy Blue Jays tickets in the area where GL has his seats.  If that happens, maybe I'll bring the book and ask him to sign.

Didn't know they played with . . . Horselips in the '70s

That's not a nice thing to say about Neil!  Seriously...never heard of 'em.

Geddy's book is not a book would would want to carry around with you for any length of time. It needs its own suitcase.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4015 on: December 16, 2019, 10:15:49 AM »
Just a head's up - if you haven't seen the documentary "Masters of Resonance" which tells the story about DW Drums, and features Neil and the R40 kit, right now it's available for viewing on YouTube for free here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzt-PaR0XUw&feature=youtu.be

If you're only interested in Neil and the R40 kit, skip to about 40 minutes into the documentary.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4016 on: December 16, 2019, 11:47:56 AM »
Cool, thanks for the link.  Fascinating story behind that kit.. :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4017 on: December 18, 2019, 06:12:47 PM »
Just a head's up - if you haven't seen the documentary "Masters of Resonance" which tells the story about DW Drums, and features Neil and the R40 kit, right now it's available for viewing on YouTube for free here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzt-PaR0XUw&feature=youtu.be

If you're only interested in Neil and the R40 kit, skip to about 40 minutes into the documentary.

Thanks. I was waiting to catch that free somewhere.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4018 on: January 04, 2020, 10:07:08 AM »
Thought I didn't have a prayer to get the Record Store Day release of Ged's My Favourite Headache on vinyl, but I guess it didn't sell like I thought it would. Just picked up a sealed copy from a Mom and Pop shop on Discogs, sealed, for $35 shipped. Couldn't pass it up.

Will be a nice addition to my collection.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline frogprog

« Reply #4019 on: January 04, 2020, 04:26:22 PM »
Really enjoyable documentary!
Wood, Drums, manufacturing, The Professor, people who do a really good job.... Now that's a feel good story for me!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4020 on: January 04, 2020, 05:25:35 PM »
Thought I didn't have a prayer to get the Record Store Day release of Ged's My Favourite Headache on vinyl, but I guess it didn't sell like I thought it would. Just picked up a sealed copy from a Mom and Pop shop on Discogs, sealed, for $35 shipped. Couldn't pass it up.

Will be a nice addition to my collection.

I think there was supposed to be 2750 available but the sticker said 5,000 (and it was also available as part of a package on the band's musictoday website. Of course I didn't know there would be 5,000 before I got to the store.  My store had about 30 copies and when I checked in a few days later they were down to 2.

What I find interesting about this release (Finally lyrics! Yay!) was they used the Canadian spelling of "Favourite" and that the bonus "instrumental" tracks still had some backing vocals.

It would be nice if Victor was next, but I guess we'll see.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4021 on: January 04, 2020, 05:27:19 PM »
Really enjoyable documentary!
Wood, Drums, manufacturing, The Professor, people who do a really good job.... Now that's a feel good story for me!!

That was a pretty cool doc. Very well done.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4022 on: January 09, 2020, 05:29:27 PM »
Got my vinyl of My Favourite Headache today in absolutely pristine condition. That record store knows how to ship vinyl.

I was not aware this was a remaster. Even better, it was done by Sean Magee at Abbey Road. The man that did what I refer to as the definitive Rush remasters. I wasn't intending on using the download card, but I did once I saw it was remastered. I'm assuming the download is the same as the vinyl. Well, I just looked at the Dynamic Range DB and it is the vinyl master and is apparently better than the original CD. Doesn't seem to be available anywhere other than this release. I look forward to comparing versions.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4023 on: January 11, 2020, 07:00:49 AM »
Bumping this thread for obvious reasons. 

Been working at home since 630am.  Not the time of day for me to be listening to Rush, but it's given me some pleasant memories these past couple of hours.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4024 on: January 13, 2020, 09:18:54 PM »
I'm listening to Hemispheres right now, on Repeat.  On my second time through right now.  ♫♫