Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490331 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #3955 on: August 25, 2019, 05:50:37 AM »
A big "HELL YEAH!"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3956 on: August 25, 2019, 06:18:58 AM »
How much did he charge you to take that picture?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3957 on: August 25, 2019, 07:25:13 AM »

:D :D :D :D

He was genuinely flattered to be recognized.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3958 on: August 25, 2019, 12:47:33 PM »
You should have greeted him “Hello Victoria...so glad to see you my friend”.

Awesome pic though!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3959 on: August 25, 2019, 02:29:51 PM »
To be clear, that's not the Terry Brown music producer, it's a guy named Terry Brown that has a hot dog cart just out of the picture to the right.  :)

(I'm kidding; I think that's awesome!!!)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3960 on: August 25, 2019, 02:35:39 PM »
When we were back in school, first getting into Rush and all that, we learned of the significance of Terry Brown in Rush history.  There was also this guy at school named Terry Brown.  He was an asshole.

I have no real point.  Just sharing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3961 on: August 28, 2019, 06:59:52 PM »
It was really cool.  Distant Early Warning sounded awesome (Stadler's wrong about Grace Under Pressure).

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but what does the sound of a song performed in 2015, as depicted in a film in 2019, have to do with the quality of an album released in 1984?

Overall I had a good time and was really pleased to get an excerpt from Cygnus X1:Book 2. It's easy to see why their set list went backwards through the discography. The concert ending was electric for the fans in attendance. Very entertaining to watch.

Some gripes that aren't really important, so I'll just give the experience a  :tup  and leave it at that.

I have mixed feelings, and part of those feelings come from my own failure to look into exactly what we were getting from CS.  One one hand, Rush concert footage rarely disappoints, and seeing the footage on a big screen and with high quality audio was great.  I also haven't gotten around to buying the R40 video, so I hadn't seen any of the concert footage before (although I did attend the August 1, 2015 show).  On the other hand, I would have preferred some more backstage stuff and really could have done without some of the screwball comedy stuff (the Trailer Trash Boys or whatever they're called and that silly stuff about sausage that they used during intermissions at concerts).

Anyone happen to know how far down the Hemispheres prelude was tuned?  A half- or full step isn't usually noticeable, but that sounded like at least a couple steps and was really noticeable/distracting.

Looks like there's about 30 minutes (Geddy's Bass Discussion (should have been much longer) Jacob's Ladder soundcheck, Losing it and Alex's song at the end) that would make me want to buy the DVD.  Most of the rest of it is on the last several live DVDs already.

I guess not a lot of people who went to see this have that stuff so it may have been more worthwhile.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3962 on: August 28, 2019, 07:02:11 PM »

I knew you'd go there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3963 on: August 28, 2019, 07:02:41 PM »
 ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3964 on: August 29, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »
Looks like there's about 30 minutes (Geddy's Bass Discussion (should have been much longer) Jacob's Ladder soundcheck, Losing it and Alex's song at the end) that would make me want to buy the DVD.  Most of the rest of it is on the last several live DVDs already.

I guess not a lot of people who went to see this have that stuff so it may have been more worthwhile.

I haven't gotten around to buying R40, so the live footage was all new, and seeing it on the big screen was cool, but I was hoping for more "other" stuff.  The bass discussion seemed like it was a commercial/preview and not part of the actual movie.  I agree I'd have liked more of that.  Alex's song at the end was terrible.  I hung around through most of it in the hopes that there might be something "especially special" at the end of the credits, but alas....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3965 on: August 31, 2019, 12:11:24 PM »

I haven't gotten around to buying R40, so the live footage was all new, and seeing it on the big screen was cool, but I was hoping for more "other" stuff.  The bass discussion seemed like it was a commercial/preview and not part of the actual movie.  I agree I'd have liked more of that.  Alex's song at the end was terrible.  I hung around through most of it in the hopes that there might be something "especially special" at the end of the credits, but alas....

I loved the song at the end, but then I'd love 3 hours of soundcheck moments like that anyway.

If the R40 stuff was remixed or reedited then I'm looking forward to the DVD a lot more than I was previously just to see what was done.  I'd even be fine with the entire R40 DVD remixed and edited.

Important thing to remember is that Geddy, Alex and Neil  have largely disengaged from the Rush machine and have moved on.  They may or may not even have sold off their ability to sign off on what assets they liquidated.  I'm always factoring in that whenever something gets released now. Your mileage may vary.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3966 on: September 03, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »
Important thing to remember is that Geddy, Alex and Neil  have largely disengaged from the Rush machine and have moved on.  They may or may not even have sold off their ability to sign off on what assets they liquidated.  I'm always factoring in that whenever something gets released now. Your mileage may vary.

Indeed...I assume this is all Ray Daniels' doing.  That's not a negative or positive thing, and I'm definitely not one who cries foul about "cash grabs."  There's been plenty of stuff released that I haven't bought.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3967 on: September 08, 2019, 08:22:10 AM »

Indeed...I assume this is all Ray Daniels' doing.  That's not a negative or positive thing, and I'm definitely not one who cries foul about "cash grabs."  There's been plenty of stuff released that I haven't bought.

Difficult to say really. Not sure what Ray's role has been since the band cashed out.

Seems rather quiet on the front.

As far as the cash grab accusations go, I still buy what I like on a case by case basis but the percentage of what I get is definitely lower since Ole took over.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3968 on: September 08, 2019, 09:02:43 AM »
I'd tend to agree with regard to what I got is lower, but I'm still interested in what gets released. I bought the AFTK deluxe edition because of the complete Hammersmith show and DT's cover of Xanadu and I like to think it's a good show and so I'm grateful it finally got released. (although I've been on record saying I'm not a fan of Neil's playing but rather his lyrics, either way, good show, grateful it got released entirely)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3969 on: September 08, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
I'd tend to agree with regard to what I got is lower, but I'm still interested in what gets released. I bought the AFTK deluxe edition because of the complete Hammersmith show and DT's cover of Xanadu and I like to think it's a good show and so I'm grateful it finally got released. (although I've been on record saying I'm not a fan of Neil's playing but rather his lyrics, either way, good show, grateful it got released entirely)

I bought all three of the deluxe editions so far (Just the CDs) because of the extras I didn't have and the studio CDs do sound better than anything released on CD so far so that was the attraction for me.  Not really a fan of the cover versions in general but I wouldn't minded if they just let Dream Theater cover the whole album.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3970 on: September 09, 2019, 11:46:28 AM »
Who's "Ole"?

If someone wants to do something for the fans, releasing a full PW/MP era show for the 40th Anniversary of PW/MP/ESL would be awesome.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3971 on: September 09, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »
I just want the 5.1 mixes, frankly.  I wish those were easier to get.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3972 on: September 09, 2019, 12:26:16 PM »
I just want the 5.1 mixes, frankly.  I wish those were easier to get.
yeah I can see why that is an issue to some

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #3973 on: September 11, 2019, 12:57:14 AM »
Not really a fan of the cover versions in general but I wouldn't minded if they just let Dream Theater cover the whole album.
I personally thought Big Wreck's cover of "Closer To The Heart" was fantastic! They kept the Rush vibe but also made it sound like a Big Wreck song at points, which I'm a huge fan of theirs.

But you're right: all DT covers would have been pretty cool as well.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3974 on: September 11, 2019, 03:12:30 AM »
It doesn't help when they have two albums abbreviated PW: Permanent Waves and Power Windows...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3975 on: September 11, 2019, 07:14:24 AM »
I've often wondered about the thought process involved there.  Album titles can be pretty important to a band, and to its fans, and every band has its own slightly different mechanism for deciding what it ultimately is.

At some point, one of them had to have noticed that the initials for Power Windows would be the same as for Permanent Waves.  Does that change things?  Would that be a reason not to use that name?  Would fans (and fanatics) 30+ years later, on Internet discussion forums which obviously haven't been invented yet, using technology only then in its infancy, have countless discussions about Rush and their albums, which often end up using the initials of the album names, for brevity, which means that sometimes the initials P. W. came up, and there would have to be some way of clarifying which one one meant, or would it be clear from context, and would that be a reason not to use that name?

"Nah... I just really like the name Power Windows, you know?"

"Cool, we'll go with that then."

*all nod*

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3976 on: September 11, 2019, 07:20:59 AM »
I don't think it occurred to bands at all that fans would use abbreviations to discuss albums someday. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3977 on: September 11, 2019, 07:59:00 AM »
I've always abbreviated them as PeW and PoW, but then again I typically don't use abbreviations so :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3978 on: September 11, 2019, 08:14:05 AM »
I don't think it occurred to bands at all that fans would use abbreviations to discuss albums someday.
not back in the day, I'm sure.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3979 on: September 11, 2019, 08:17:32 AM »
I've always abbreviated them as PeW and PoW, but then again I typically don't use abbreviations so :dunno:

This. In my early internet foruming days, I had joined the Counterparts message boards, and the accepted abbreviations for the albums were already PEW and POW.

Most of the other albums were easy to abbreviate if they had multiple words, like FBN, COS, AFTK, MP, GUP, HYF, RTB, TFE, VT, SA (or SAA,  S&A, even SnA), and CA. One-word albums had shortened versions like HEMI, SIG, PRST (or PRES) and CP, with RUSH, 2112 staying the same.

Songs got a bit more complicated, but they were easy to decipher within context. But yeah, I'm pretty sure most bands don't think about how fans will refer to their works in abbreviated terms when it comes to naming their albums and songs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #3980 on: September 11, 2019, 10:02:18 AM »

This. In my early internet foruming days, I had joined the Counterparts message boards, and the accepted abbreviations for the albums were already PEW and POW.

Most of the other albums were easy to abbreviate if they had multiple words, like FBN, COS, AFTK, MP, GUP, HYF, RTB, TFE, VT, SA (or SAA,  S&A, even SnA), and CA. One-word albums had shortened versions like HEMI, SIG, PRST (or PRES) and CP, with RUSH, 2112 staying the same.

Songs got a bit more complicated, but they were easy to decipher within context. But yeah, I'm pretty sure most bands don't think about how fans will refer to their works in abbreviated terms when it comes to naming their albums and songs.

-Marc.

But everybody knows it's not GUP. It's p/g.

Just like D/T

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3981 on: September 11, 2019, 11:42:23 AM »

Just like D/T

"Everybody" except those who don't.

As far as the two PW albums, the potential for confusion was probably the furthest thing from their minds.  If it's clear from context, I just go with "PW" and only expand if it's not clear.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3982 on: September 11, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »
Most use PoW for Power Windows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3983 on: September 11, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »

-Marc.

Just like D/T

Except if we're being that pedantic, then it's REALLY "d/t", per all the artwork on the album itself.  ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3984 on: September 12, 2019, 06:23:38 AM »
Today is Neil's 66th birthday!

Geddy wrote this on his Instagram:

"I've had the enduring and consummate pleasure of working beside this awesome dude for over 40 years, the bonus of which (aside from the laughs) was a nightly ringside seat to one of the greatest exhibitions of drumming imaginable... and now it’s time to wish our brother, bandmate and fellow comedian "Peke" a Most Supremely Happy Birthday !!"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3985 on: September 13, 2019, 07:41:41 PM »
Who's "Ole"?

If someone wants to do something for the fans, releasing a full PW/MP era show for the 40th Anniversary of PW/MP/ESL would be awesome.

Ole was the company Rush sold out to. Of course ole has recently rebranded themselves as "Anthem Entertainment" I'd imagine in an attempt to cash in on the good will of the name since the original Anthem Entertainment is no more.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3986 on: September 13, 2019, 07:44:30 PM »
Today is Neil's 66th birthday!

Geddy wrote this on his Instagram:

"I've had the enduring and consummate pleasure of working beside this awesome dude for over 40 years, the bonus of which (aside from the laughs) was a nightly ringside seat to one of the greatest exhibitions of drumming imaginable... and now it’s time to wish our brother, bandmate and fellow comedian "Peke" a Most Supremely Happy Birthday !!"

Aaaaaaand another nickname surfaces.....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3987 on: September 14, 2019, 08:50:51 AM »
Do we know that the band doesn't have a piece of "Ole"?  I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it wasn't more of a "restructuring" than a buying out. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3988 on: September 14, 2019, 10:49:08 AM »

In my attempt to have a "Complete Live Discography" for Rush, taking a complete soundboard (or officially released) show from every major tour, the PEW and MP tours are two of the few that I don't have complete shows. Sure, there's the St. Louis 80 but it's missing about a third of the show. And as far as I know, there haven't been any complete soundboards from the MP tour. The most that we've gotten are the MP-tour portions of ESL, and the opening movements of 2112 released as part of the 2012 Deluxe Edition, sourced from the Northlands Coliseum – Edmonton, AB, Canada, 25 June 1981. Also, "Vital Signs" and "Limelight" from the ESL show were later released after they were dropped from the live album, but I don't think they've been re-released since the 80s.

Between these other MP-tour tracks and the ESL live video, they definitely have an MP Tour soundboard tucked away somewhere, and I would love to get my hands on a whole show!

Other tours that are missing complete soundboards are the GUP and POW shows. My version of the GUP tour is the most cobbled-together show, taking bits from the GUP Tour CD that came out in 2006, as well as a couple of soundboards and one audience show (for "Afterimage"). It's a bit of a mess, honestly, though my POW show is the mostly complete Philadelphia show, with the end of the concert filled in from an audience recording.

From the HYF tour onward, there are very near-complete soundboards for every tour, and of course, from the TFE tour onward, we've gotten official live releases.

Here's hoping that Permanent Waves Anniversary Deluxe Set contains a COMPLETE PEW Tour show, and not just another rehash of something that's circulated (FOR FREE) for years (looking at you, Pinkpop Festival).

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3989 on: September 18, 2019, 07:10:37 PM »
Do we know that the band doesn't have a piece of "Ole"?  I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it wasn't more of a "restructuring" than a buying out.

We you'd have more insight to the hypotheticals to this than I would, but you can find a decent summary beginning in 2014 here (Terms not disclosed obviously.): 

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2019/06/06/5285/Rush-record-label-and-rights-management-company-ole-rebrands-as-Anthem-Entertainment/