Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 493693 times)

King Postwhore and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #3920 on: April 06, 2019, 10:10:30 AM »
So I was going through my old RUSH vinyl albums the other day and noticed some are missing. I would like to replace them with the best quality available. It seems some 200gram remaster vinyls were put out in 2015. Does anyone have any first hand comments on these or any other ones I should look at? I'm looking to replace Exit..,Signals, GUP and Presto right now.
Thanks
Frogprog

The 2015 remasters from Abbey Road by Sean Magee are stellar. If I am not mistaken, the 2015's were initially solely for vinyl and HD audio. Only a handful of those have even seen CD release (2112 - Hemispheres). I have actually filled out everything from the debut up to 2112 with the HD Tracks versions of those Abbey Road remasters because they are so good.

Several of us here have raved about those. Just make sure they are the Abbey Road's and you won't regret it.

Found a snippet about the 2015's:

[album] was remastered for vinyl in 2015 by Sean Magee at Abbey Road Studios as a part of the official "12 Months of Rush" promotion. The high definition master prepared for this release was also made available for purchase in 24-bit/96 kHz and 24-bit/192 kHz formats, at several high-resolution audio online music stores. These masters have significantly less dynamic range compression than the 1997 remasters and the "Sector" remasters by Andy VanDette.

Still don't have a complete set of these 2015s yet.  Other than having original pressings this likely is as good as it going to get as far as vinyl (and arguably even CD.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3921 on: April 06, 2019, 10:13:21 AM »
Yes, Professor, I think the Abbey Road vinyls are what I have my eye on. Thanks for the input!
On a side note, I gave a spin to PW, which is one of my favs just because of how into Rush I was when it came out and seeing the tour 3x etc. I couldn't believe how flimsy the original lp was. What did they use, 20 gram vinyl?!

No guarantee that just because something is mastered on 180 or 200 gram vinyl that it will sound better or even good,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3922 on: April 08, 2019, 07:34:33 AM »
Yes, Professor, I think the Abbey Road vinyls are what I have my eye on. Thanks for the input!
On a side note, I gave a spin to PW, which is one of my favs just because of how into Rush I was when it came out and seeing the tour 3x etc. I couldn't believe how flimsy the original lp was. What did they use, 20 gram vinyl?!

No guarantee that just because something is mastered on 180 or 200 gram vinyl that it will sound better or even good,

I'll try to find it, but I read an interesting article that basically said that the notion of "180 gram vinyl" was the musical marketing equivalent of selling water.  It makes almost zero difference in the sound (though it might in the durability of the piece). 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3923 on: April 08, 2019, 10:02:18 AM »
I always thought the advantage to a heavier grade of vinyl was that it was less likely to bend or warp over time.  It sounds better 10 or 20 years later because it still plays; the lightweight shit was worn out and tossed a long time ago, thus there is literally no comparison.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3924 on: April 08, 2019, 05:47:49 PM »
I always thought the advantage to a heavier grade of vinyl was that it was less likely to bend or warp over time.  It sounds better 10 or 20 years later because it still plays; the lightweight shit was worn out and tossed a long time ago, thus there is literally no comparison.
This is pretty much it. A lot of the older stuff from 30+ years ago was on really lightweight vinyl and a lot of the time the quality suffers over time because of warping. Heavier vinyl isn't necessarily going to sound better (that's entirely depending on the recording and mixing/mastering), but it will sound its best for much longer.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3925 on: April 14, 2019, 06:46:46 PM »

If care has been taken that is less likely the case unless you play the carp out of it. There is an advantage to heavier grade vinyl, but I would think that advantage is lost by poor mastering.  Much too expensive a gamble unless you are able to tell beforehand what went into the mastering process.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3927 on: June 20, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
Cinema Strangiato trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jow3-DVntj8&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0vO76yLwxFkcwJi1fByWTHHLgN1zfuIrGNKynYdbC4z3pir4GdZ4nEQrE

So cool. Wish these things weren't always on weekdays though. Couldn't find any showings within an hour of where I'll be. Weekend, not a problem, but hard to do that when I have work all day and the next day. Still going to try.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3928 on: June 20, 2019, 01:44:15 PM »
Luckily, us Canuck's have lots of options.  I've got an IMAX theatre in Buffalo that is 12 miles away, and a non-IMAX option where I don't have to cross the border 15 miles up the highway.

Chance of seeing this: 100%
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3929 on: June 20, 2019, 01:56:52 PM »
Not playing near me. Damn.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3930 on: June 20, 2019, 03:11:17 PM »
A bunch of options near me as well, including one right down the street from my office.  I regret not seeing Beyond the Lighted State in a theater with other Rush fans, so I think I'm not going to let this one slip by.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3931 on: June 20, 2019, 03:36:46 PM »
35 minutes away from my house playing on a Saturday.   Nice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3932 on: June 20, 2019, 05:44:19 PM »
I can't say I am excited about hearing more footage from the last tour (Geddy's vocals got too rough on the last few tours for me to re-visit almost any of the live stuff), but I am sure this will be cool.  As the forum's biggest Rush fan :P, I'll go see it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3933 on: June 21, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
Although this is in a TON of theaters, I may pass on this. (The other one night only Rush showings going back to Rush In Rio didn't have nearly this many screens. Possibly Rush In Rio as it was the first.)

Definitely in on the DVD, but I'm not sure I need to see a clip show of odds and sods in a theater.

Also I don't need to see other people talk about the band. 

I hope most of it is going to be about the making of Geddy's bass book. That's likely going to be the most recent band related interview in there. More live and unreleased footage would be great too. It would be nice if we got as much of the of the 8/1/15 show as possible.

If there are more teasers about what else is going to be in it it might be worth picking up a theater ticket on the night of the showing. Right now though, I'm content enough to wait for the Christmas DVD.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3934 on: June 21, 2019, 04:54:24 PM »
Damn this is showing the week I'm getting married, I don't think I'll be able to see it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3935 on: June 22, 2019, 06:19:59 AM »
Damn this is showing the week I'm getting married, I don't think I'll be able to see it.

PRIORITIES!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3936 on: July 07, 2019, 08:47:37 AM »

Although I'm in for the DVD, I'm sure it will be streaming someone so it should be pretty easy to catch.

Need to see more if I'm hitting a theater though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3937 on: July 07, 2019, 04:51:12 PM »
I started watching Time Stand Still this afternoon and what a great documentary, I'm going to catch the second half tonight

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3938 on: July 24, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »
I started watching Time Stand Still this afternoon and what a great documentary, I'm going to catch the second half tonight

There's a few chapters on that one I really like. Probably been a year since I watched the whole thing though.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3939 on: August 21, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »
Going to Cinema Strangiato tonight!  :corn
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3940 on: August 21, 2019, 03:33:19 PM »
Going to Cinema Strangiato tonight!  :corn

#metoo
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3941 on: August 21, 2019, 10:18:21 PM »
It was really cool.  Distant Early Warning sounded awesome (Stadler's wrong about Grace Under Pressure).

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3942 on: August 21, 2019, 11:11:14 PM »
It was really cool.  Distant Early Warning sounded awesome (Stadler's wrong about Grace Under Pressure).
Indeed. In fact, I'm going to listen to that album right now.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3943 on: August 22, 2019, 05:44:32 AM »
I don't think Stads was wrong about the studio album, but you're right, DEW sounded great in the concert movie.

Overall I had a good time and was really pleased to get an excerpt from Cygnus X1:Book 2. It's easy to see why their set list went backwards through the discography. The concert ending was electric for the fans in attendance. Very entertaining to watch.

Some gripes that aren't really important, so I'll just give the experience a  :tup  and leave it at that.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3944 on: August 22, 2019, 10:26:29 AM »

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but what does the sound of a song performed in 2015, as depicted in a film in 2019, have to do with the quality of an album released in 1984?

Overall I had a good time and was really pleased to get an excerpt from Cygnus X1:Book 2. It's easy to see why their set list went backwards through the discography. The concert ending was electric for the fans in attendance. Very entertaining to watch.

Some gripes that aren't really important, so I'll just give the experience a  :tup  and leave it at that.

I have mixed feelings, and part of those feelings come from my own failure to look into exactly what we were getting from CS.  One one hand, Rush concert footage rarely disappoints, and seeing the footage on a big screen and with high quality audio was great.  I also haven't gotten around to buying the R40 video, so I hadn't seen any of the concert footage before (although I did attend the August 1, 2015 show).  On the other hand, I would have preferred some more backstage stuff and really could have done without some of the screwball comedy stuff (the Trailer Trash Boys or whatever they're called and that silly stuff about sausage that they used during intermissions at concerts).

Anyone happen to know how far down the Hemispheres prelude was tuned?  A half- or full step isn't usually noticeable, but that sounded like at least a couple steps and was really noticeable/distracting.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3945 on: August 22, 2019, 10:47:06 AM »
Losing It  :tup

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3946 on: August 22, 2019, 08:12:51 PM »

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but what does the sound of a song performed in 2015, as depicted in a film in 2019, have to do with the quality of an album released in 1984?
Definitely reading too much into it. :)  For all I know, Stadler may love Distant Early Warning anyway and think the rest of the album is bad.  :P  (He's still wrong).

I have mixed feelings, and part of those feelings come from my own failure to look into exactly what we were getting from CS.  One one hand, Rush concert footage rarely disappoints, and seeing the footage on a big screen and with high quality audio was great.  I also haven't gotten around to buying the R40 video, so I hadn't seen any of the concert footage before (although I did attend the August 1, 2015 show).  On the other hand, I would have preferred some more backstage stuff and really could have done without some of the screwball comedy stuff (the Trailer Trash Boys or whatever they're called and that silly stuff about sausage that they used during intermissions at concerts).

Anyone happen to know how far down the Hemispheres prelude was tuned?  A half- or full step isn't usually noticeable, but that sounded like at least a couple steps and was really noticeable/distracting.

I loved Hemispheres - both live and on the video. Yes it was tuned down, but I'm sure that's the only way they could do it, and to me it still sounded great.  I agree with you about the comedy stuff.  We already saw it on the tours, and we can see it again on dvds (and probably youtube).  But for the big screen, I would have preferred a little less of that and more behind the scenes stuff. for sure  Or just a little more of Geddy, Alex, and Neil talking.  Or people they've influenced.  I really loved Jonathan Dinklage talking about how much Losing It meant to him. I enjoyed Billy Corgan talking about Rush (as I did on the documentary too).  Overall, like you said it was worth it just to see the concert footage on the big screen though.  More than worth it.  I'd love for them to show concert footage once year.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3947 on: August 22, 2019, 08:56:17 PM »
With regards to the Hemispheres Prelude being downtuned for R40, I'm pretty sure it was a whole step, which I believe is the same thing they did with "2112" back on the TFE tour.

I did just listen to "Hemispheres" from four various tours - the Hemispheres tour, Counterparts tour, the snippet from the R30 Overture, and of course the R40 tour, and all of them are original tuning except R40.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3948 on: August 23, 2019, 08:21:20 AM »

Definitely reading too much into it. :)  For all I know, Stadler may love Distant Early Warning anyway and think the rest of the album is bad.  :P  (He's still wrong).

DEW might be my favorite song off the album, but that's like saying "Oh, this is my favorite booger I've ever picked!"

And full disclosure (not changing my tune, I've said this before):  there are redeeming parts of that record. It's a bad RUSH record.  It's far from the worst record in my collection.  Like AJFA in the other thread (suffering for the lack of bass/bad bass sound), this record suffers for the way it neuters one of the greatest drummers in the history of rock.  I always point to that fill right before Geddy sings "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gates..." but it's not just that; it's the whole album. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3949 on: August 23, 2019, 08:22:08 AM »
Man Grace Under Pressure rules and I love that "sound of gunfire" part and the drums on that record. Tastes are weird  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3950 on: August 23, 2019, 08:25:56 AM »
I would agree that the studio version of Red Sector A suffers greatly because of the production - that is one Rush song where I listen to the live version and never the studio version - but the rest is fine.  The production works in the favor of killer tunes like Between the Wheels, The Enemy Within and Distant Early Warning.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3951 on: August 23, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »
The production and instrumentation only really work for Between the Wheels and The Enemy Within.  Those are my favorite songs by a pretty wide margin.  DEW and Kid Gloves are next, and I'll almost never listen to anything else.  The recent live versions of Red Sector A are MILES better.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3952 on: August 23, 2019, 11:53:57 AM »
The production and instrumentation only really work for Between the Wheels and The Enemy Within.  Those are my favorite songs by a pretty wide margin.  DEW and Kid Gloves are next, and I'll almost never listen to anything else.  The recent live versions of Red Sector A are MILES better.
I think it works on Distant Early Warning too though.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3953 on: August 24, 2019, 07:15:10 PM »
I saw Cinema Strangiato this week, and met Terry Brown just outside the movie theater!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3954 on: August 25, 2019, 01:59:02 AM »
Awesome!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.