Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496478 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #3885 on: March 10, 2019, 07:15:39 PM »
It says that this was researched by the guys at PW.   And I LOVE that tourography at the PW site.   But isn't that still a bit incomplete?

Last I checked, there were some questions about the "Down the Tobes" tour.   I'm pretty sure they confirmed that there was definitely a headlining show on that tour....and it would seem reasonable that they may have played the full Fountain of Lamneth at such a show, but apparently not even the band themselves can confirm that.   Again...the last time I looked into it.   

1/10/76 (Not bootlegged as was the rumor)

Supposedly the band was involved with confirming the tour dates and they did retroactively put tour dates on the back of the replica tour shirts when they reissued them some years ago, but who knows if they are correct.

Band officials haven't been accurate with some of the album release dates, one being 2112 which was released in mid-March, not April 1, 1976 which kind of has become the celebrated date.
I keep meaning to do some research myself on this (album release dates) but haven't gotten around to that yet.

It's possible this new book gets some of its information from the Rush Chronology Book which is a listing of events in Rush history by date, but I'm not sure if that is totally accurate either.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3886 on: March 10, 2019, 07:31:02 PM »

Lamneth is certainly the biggest mystery of all. I just can't believe that a young band would release their first epic, generally a major accomplishment for any young band, and never reference or play any of it ever in a live show. I know they didn't do a full headline tour for CoS, but I can't believe they wouldn't at least throw in a part of the song. Or maybe they did and it's just never been recorded or noted anywhere. I bet the band themselves don't even remember if they played it (I remember Neil mentioning how they never played Jacob's Ladder live before R40 and that's clearly false).

As you said, they didn't do a lot of headlining shows in those days and the reasoning that they didn't play it (according to Alex) and it does make sense was that it would have taken up a big chunk of the set at that time. The album tanked and while they might have done favorites such as Bastille Day, Lakeside Park, and The Necromancer (which they did on their first UK tour in 1977) it's entirely possible but unconfirmable that it was never played.

I know they've said in recent years that they aren't that fond of Caress of Steel, but they did believe in it enough in 1977 that they were still playing three songs from it and that Bastille Day and Lakeside Park were show staples for a time even after that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3887 on: March 11, 2019, 07:25:31 AM »

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2019/03/01/5228/New-book-Rush-Wandering-the-Face-of-the-Earth-The-Official-Touring-History-coming-in-October

Fondly known as the Holy Triumvirate,

I'm not the hugest Rush fan ever - I only have every album, four copies of 2112 and three of A Farewell To Kings, and seen them four times live - I'm forced to admit that I have never heard of them referred to as "the Holy Triumvirate", and I know for sure that I never referred to them that way myself.  Is this a thing? 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3888 on: March 11, 2019, 07:30:57 AM »

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2019/03/01/5228/New-book-Rush-Wandering-the-Face-of-the-Earth-The-Official-Touring-History-coming-in-October

I'm not the hugest Rush fan ever - I only have every album, four copies of 2112 and three of A Farewell To Kings, and seen them four times live - I'm forced to admit that I have never heard of them referred to as "the Holy Triumvirate", and I know for sure that I never referred to them that way myself.  Is this a thing?

It's not, no. I am sure we can find some random person online over the years who has referred to them as that, but generally speaking, they are almost never called that.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3889 on: March 11, 2019, 08:51:16 AM »

It's not, no. I am sure we can find some random person online over the years who has referred to them as that, but generally speaking, they are almost never called that.

@5:41
https://youtu.be/iq3yjfoorsU

Also, the OFFICIAL Twitter page for Rush has this in their bio:
Rush
@rushtheband
Prog-rock trio composed of Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart. Otherwise known as the Holy Triumvirate.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:55:29 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3890 on: March 11, 2019, 09:32:28 AM »
I've never read that before in all of my 38 years of following them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3891 on: March 11, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »
I'm not a fan of the expression, but come on guys, I've heard this before.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3892 on: March 11, 2019, 09:35:58 AM »
Like Joe, I have zero recollection of it. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3893 on: March 11, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »
I don't care either way.  I'm just saying I never heard nor read it.  They've always had a sense of humor. 

You know Dirk, Brad Pitt & The Professor.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Mladen

« Reply #3894 on: March 11, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
I've only heard of that in that comedy bit Paul Rudd and Jason Segel did with them for Funny Or Die.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3895 on: March 11, 2019, 09:38:13 AM »
I don't care either way.  I'm just saying I never heard nor read it.  They've always had a sense of humor. 

You know Dirk, Brad Pitt & The Professor.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Your phone got ya again.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3896 on: March 11, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »
Dammit Joe :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3897 on: March 11, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »
Now you all shame me. You don't remember the 3 stooges on the screen and their names show up under the 3 stooges heads and Alex's name changed to Brad Pitt?

You a shame me. I mock you Rush plebians!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3898 on: March 11, 2019, 10:04:10 AM »
Alex is really Stan Getz!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3899 on: March 11, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
 :lol

Btw, that was on the Vapor Trails tour. I spit out my beer when I saw it.  Lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3900 on: March 11, 2019, 12:44:57 PM »

That part made me cringe.  No, it's not a thing, and I also have never referred to Rush as such (nor would I in any conceivable alternate universe).  I believe, however, that Rush is referred to as such by Paul Rudd and/or the guy from How I Met Your Mother in I Love You, Man.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3901 on: March 11, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
When I talk about Rush with people, I sometimes call them the holy trinity... Not sure though if I invented that or if I heard it somewhere :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3902 on: March 11, 2019, 01:04:34 PM »
I call them the Three Stooges.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3903 on: March 19, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »

It's been known to happen randomly and when it does I tend to ignore it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3904 on: March 19, 2019, 08:45:49 PM »
When I talk about Rush with people, I sometimes call them the holy trinity... Not sure though if I invented that or if I heard it somewhere :D

That's a lot more common. I've used that reference sometimes myself.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3905 on: March 20, 2019, 06:38:04 AM »
Not to be a dick, or to comment on anyone here (NOT AT ALL) but doesn't a reference like that kind of rub against the ethos of a band like Rush?   I don't know any of these people personally, but from what I get of interviews and whatnot, I think each of the members would take a moment to be flattered, and then say "that's nice, but I'm a [bass player/guitar player/drummer] in a band.   We make music.  We're glad people like it.  But anything else is a little over the top."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3906 on: March 20, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
I agree.  They seem like the last guys to seriously put themselves on a pedestal.  Jokingly maybe, but not seriously.

Rush fans, however, can get completely carried away, and this sounds 100% like a fan thing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3907 on: March 20, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »
I agree.  They seem like the last guys to seriously put themselves on a pedestal.  Jokingly maybe, but not seriously.

Rush fans, however, can get completely carried away, and this sounds 100% like a fan thing.

Totally agree.  Geddy, Alex and Neil are way too down-to-earth and centered to ever refer to themselves in such an elitist manner.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3908 on: March 20, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
They mock themselves.  They mock themselves on stage, in print and in interviews.  Whoever runs their site took that moniker and put it on the website.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3909 on: March 20, 2019, 10:44:59 AM »
They mock themselves.  They mock themselves on stage, in print and in interviews.  Whoever runs their site took that moniker and put it on the website.

"RASH".

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3910 on: March 20, 2019, 10:47:51 AM »
Exactly.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3911 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:38 AM »
"I hate Rush
They are so boring
They played that stupid song
for like 20 minutes..."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3912 on: March 22, 2019, 09:00:06 PM »

It may not be on you tube anymore, but did you ever see the clip of Alex around the campfire lampooning 2112? Think it was put up by a relative but it may have been taken down.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3913 on: March 22, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3914 on: March 22, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »

It may not be on you tube anymore, but did you ever see the clip of Alex around the campfire lampooning 2112? Think it was put up by a relative but it may have been taken down.

Oh hell yes I saw it.  They take their music seriously but everything else  was fair game.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3915 on: March 27, 2019, 07:58:49 PM »

Oh hell yes I saw it.  They take their music seriously but everything else  was fair game.

Wouldn't say it was the funniest thing I ever saw but it was pretty funny.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #3916 on: March 28, 2019, 03:12:04 PM »
So I was going through my old RUSH vinyl albums the other day and noticed some are missing. I would like to replace them with the best quality available. It seems some 200gram remaster vinyls were put out in 2015. Does anyone have any first hand comments on these or any other ones I should look at? I'm looking to replace Exit..,Signals, GUP and Presto right now.
Thanks
Frogprog

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3917 on: March 28, 2019, 07:22:00 PM »

Wouldn't say it was the funniest thing I ever saw but it was pretty funny.

Pretty sure it was his son that put it up.  But ya, it came down pretty fast.   They were pretty freakin drunk.  HILARIOUSLY ****faced.  :lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3918 on: March 28, 2019, 10:18:58 PM »
So I was going through my old RUSH vinyl albums the other day and noticed some are missing. I would like to replace them with the best quality available. It seems some 200gram remaster vinyls were put out in 2015. Does anyone have any first hand comments on these or any other ones I should look at? I'm looking to replace Exit..,Signals, GUP and Presto right now.
Thanks
Frogprog

The 2015 remasters from Abbey Road by Sean Magee are stellar. If I am not mistaken, the 2015's were initially solely for vinyl and HD audio. Only a handful of those have even seen CD release (2112 - Hemispheres). I have actually filled out everything from the debut up to 2112 with the HD Tracks versions of those Abbey Road remasters because they are so good.

Several of us here have raved about those. Just make sure they are the Abbey Road's and you won't regret it.

Found a snippet about the 2015's:

[album] was remastered for vinyl in 2015 by Sean Magee at Abbey Road Studios as a part of the official "12 Months of Rush" promotion. The high definition master prepared for this release was also made available for purchase in 24-bit/96 kHz and 24-bit/192 kHz formats, at several high-resolution audio online music stores. These masters have significantly less dynamic range compression than the 1997 remasters and the "Sector" remasters by Andy VanDette.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline frogprog

« Reply #3919 on: March 29, 2019, 02:32:55 PM »
Yes, Professor, I think the Abbey Road vinyls are what I have my eye on. Thanks for the input!
On a side note, I gave a spin to PW, which is one of my favs just because of how into Rush I was when it came out and seeing the tour 3x etc. I couldn't believe how flimsy the original lp was. What did they use, 20 gram vinyl?!