Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490353 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #3850 on: December 17, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »
I wish he was doing a signing closer to Texas. I would be all over it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline romdrums

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3853 on: December 19, 2018, 08:30:44 AM »
Yeah. Bravo!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3854 on: December 19, 2018, 08:31:28 AM »
This isn't new news.  Neil has been steadfast that he's retired.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3855 on: December 19, 2018, 08:34:51 AM »
No it's not news, but it's always nice to read such respectful comments from Geddy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3856 on: December 19, 2018, 09:40:27 AM »
No it's not news, but it's always nice to read such respectful comments from Geddy.

I wouldn't expect anything else from him.  He was so nice when I met him in 1985. To stop and talk to us kids was something I will never forget.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3857 on: December 19, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »

Well I didn't know he stopped drumming completely. I just knew he didn't want to tour anymore, so that's news to me  :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3858 on: December 19, 2018, 11:45:07 AM »

Well I didn't know he stopped drumming completely. I just knew he didn't want to tour anymore, so that's news to me  :P

I believe I read that from Ged or Alex in an interview a few months ago.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3859 on: December 19, 2018, 12:55:49 PM »
A random curiosity:  The Wikipedia article about Neil Peart states that, while living in London prior to joining Rush, Neil "pick[ed] up occasional session work."  Anyone know if any of this "session work" ever led to something that was released commercially and, if so, what is it?

As far as the recent article, yeah, it's nothing new, but I assume it doesn't preclude Neil from picking up the sticks now and then and banging out "Didacts and Narpets" just for fun now and then.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3860 on: December 19, 2018, 01:18:24 PM »
To echo others, this is not news. We have known for years that Neil is done.  He has earned it.

But yeah, cool to hear a fresh perspective from Geddy, who seems more at peace with it now.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #3861 on: December 19, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »
Neil walking away still able to do what he does at the level he expects from himself, is the dream of any professional musician or athlete. The fact he got to do it, on his own terms, is outstanding. And I really respect him for powering through, despite the physical demands, and giving us all what we expect from him on that last tour. He's earned his retirement, owes us nothing, and I for one, am happy he is pursuing the rest of his life.

Anxious to hear what Alex has been up to, and looking forward to the musical future of Geddy.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3862 on: December 19, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »

Yeah, I agree with Zydar. I knew Rush was done, but I had no clue that Neil actually has stepped away from the drum kit completely. So that was new to me, too.

That said, as sad as it is to know that there won't be any more albums or tours from them, I'm not angry or upset with Neil whatsoever. The man gave it his all for all those years, and now he can focus on enjoying other aspects of his life. At least I'm glad I got to see them one last time on the R40 tour, and at the final show no less. I will forever be grateful that I got to witness that show.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3863 on: December 19, 2018, 01:40:20 PM »
Neil walking away still able to do what he does at the level he expects from himself, is the dream of any professional musician or athlete. The fact he got to do it, on his own terms, is outstanding. And I really respect him for powering through, despite the physical demands, and giving us all what we expect from him on that last tour. He's earned his retirement, owes us nothing, and I for one, am happy he is pursuing the rest of his life.

Anxious to hear what Alex has been up to, and looking forward to the musical future of Geddy.  :metal

Pretty much exactly this! I'm glad Neil got to finish on such a high note, although it would have been great if R40 would have extended over to Europe. :-\

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3864 on: December 19, 2018, 03:34:12 PM »
A random curiosity:  The Wikipedia article about Neil Peart states that, while living in London prior to joining Rush, Neil "pick[ed] up occasional session work."  Anyone know if any of this "session work" ever led to something that was released commercially and, if so, what is it?
The only thing I'm aware of is that JR Flood demo. But that was when he was in Canada.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3865 on: December 19, 2018, 05:04:22 PM »
I think I may have just found my new favorite Rush cover band. Although they do have some original songs as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laiHVeVPUWc
The vocalist is this band was born to sing Rush songs. Check out some of their live stuff as well.

I LOVE YYNOT!  Rocky's voice is perfect for Rush, and the bass player has Geddy's tone and phrasing down pat.  Check out their covers of Cygnus X-1 (both Books).

The two originals I've heard so far are not particularly Rush-like or proggy, but they're very good.  I believe they have a couple shows coming up in Florida and have done some shows in Southern California.  I missed a show last November but won't miss the next one.

Another plug for YYNOT - https://yynot.bandzoogle.com/home.

I've since bought their debut album, and it's really good, and I'll be seeing them live in February.  I'll be interested to see how things play out given the significant age difference between some of the members.  Check them out if you haven't already.  My favorite tracks are "Hourglass," "Etheria," Kingdom Come" and "YYNOT."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3866 on: December 22, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »
That would be interesting to see, mostly because Rick Moranis is basically retired from acting, though he's been known to make an occassional appearance at things.

Didn't know that.

Not the best video but here it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlhJNCh0ro

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3867 on: December 22, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
This event wasn't as good as the Grapes Under Pressure one. I felt a bit like cattle, with the bookstore staff hurrying us up...but still, it was worth it!

Awesome! You're right. Totally worth it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3868 on: December 22, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
The only thing I'm aware of is that JR Flood demo. But that was when he was in Canada.

I love that JR Flood stuff but a lot of bands were doing that during that time. Not sure if they would have broken through to have any kind of career, but it sure is a fun listen since I dig that kind of thing anyway.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3869 on: December 22, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »

Alex has been contributing solos and performances to various albums. Marco Minneman, John Mayall, the guy from the Yardbirds (can't remember his name.)  He's also been doing some charity gigs and seems to have a blast doing them.

Geddy's book is done so when he's done "shamelessly promoting it" he's moving on to the next step whatever that is.

Neil's book "Far And Wide" published in 2016 explains his point of view as well as the most recent documentary "Time Stand Still" also released in 2016 explain things before the fullness of time is revealed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3870 on: December 22, 2018, 09:52:30 PM »
That would be interesting to see, mostly because Rick Moranis is basically retired from acting, though he's been known to make an occassional appearance at things.

Didn't know that.

That video was fun!  I was grinning like an idiot through the whole thing.

Yeah, Rick Moranis' wife died of breast cancer in 1991, leaving Rick to raise the kids.  He took a break from acting, then discovered that he didn't really miss it.  He still does one-offs, voice work, and other various things, but is basically retired.  He doesn't chase movie gigs or anything.  He's a smart guy and I'm guessing he invested his earnings from SCTV and the movies he did and is set for life, barring any major tragedy.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3871 on: January 01, 2019, 01:24:39 PM »

Didn't know that.

That video was fun!  I was grinning like an idiot through the whole thing.

Yeah, Rick Moranis' wife died of breast cancer in 1991, leaving Rick to raise the kids.  He took a break from acting, then discovered that he didn't really miss it.  He still does one-offs, voice work, and other various things, but is basically retired.  He doesn't chase movie gigs or anything.  He's a smart guy and I'm guessing he invested his earnings from SCTV and the movies he did and is set for life, barring any major tragedy.

I don't know if it was ever performed live before.  So yeah, it's pretty cool.

Didn't know much about Rick Moranis other than the SCTV/Bob and Doug thing other than maybe Ghostbusters.

In other news, although it appears to be just MP3s, here's the first major find in the Rush bootleg world in quite a while. Not usually a fan of Working Man, but this version without the "By-Tor" section is pretty sweet.  Great performance overall too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU3uoG8nvV4

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3872 on: January 01, 2019, 02:31:14 PM »
In other news, although it appears to be just MP3s, here's the first major find in the Rush bootleg world in quite a while. Not usually a fan of Working Man, but this version without the "By-Tor" section is pretty sweet.  Great performance overall too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU3uoG8nvV4

WHOA! I had no idea about this, so thank you for sharing! It's a shame the original file-sharer only had MP3s, but at least they're soundboard-sourced 320! I know what I'll be listening to later. Having the earliest known full performance of "By-Tor And The Snowdog" sure sounds like a treat, and being the SECOND soundboard recording from 75 is astounding. It's a 43 year old full soundboard - how often do things like THIS pop up?! Thanks again for sharing this here!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:51:50 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #3873 on: January 09, 2019, 07:35:03 PM »
"Rush Fan Day" Book signing at the R&R Hall of fame with Geddy and Alex Sat, 19 Jan.  Sounds like tickets on sale Fri, 11 Jan at rockhall.com

rushisaband announcement of event:
https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2019/01/09/5205/Rush-Day-at-the-Rock-Hall-in-Cleveland-January-19th-including-a-Geddy-Lee-book-signing-and-interview-event-featuring-Alex-Lifeson

Geddy interview with Eddie Trunk announcing the event
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSCzfIXdfcU

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3874 on: January 10, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »
"Rush Fan Day" Book signing at the R&R Hall of fame with Geddy and Alex Sat, 19 Jan.  Sounds like tickets on sale Fri, 11 Jan at rockhall.com

rushisaband announcement of event:
https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2019/01/09/5205/Rush-Day-at-the-Rock-Hall-in-Cleveland-January-19th-including-a-Geddy-Lee-book-signing-and-interview-event-featuring-Alex-Lifeson

Geddy interview with Eddie Trunk announcing the event
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSCzfIXdfcU

Hope someone films the Q and A. That has some potential.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3875 on: March 09, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
New book coming in October that documents their entire touring history.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2019/03/01/5228/New-book-Rush-Wandering-the-Face-of-the-Earth-The-Official-Touring-History-coming-in-October

Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, and Neil Peart performed together for the first time to an audience of 11,000 people in 1974. Forty years later, their last tour sold over 442,000 tickets. This is the story of everything in between. This is the story of Rush.

Fondly known as the Holy Triumvirate, Rush is one of the top bands to shine through rock-and-roll history. Wandering the Face of the Earth covers Rush's storied touring career, from their humble beginnings as a Toronto-area bar band playing middle school gymnasiums to their rise as one of the world's most sought-after live acts, selling out massive arenas around the globe. This book includes every setlist, every opening act, and every noteworthy moment meticulously researched and vetted by the band themselves. This is THE must-have tour compendium for Rush fans.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:56:19 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3876 on: March 09, 2019, 05:51:38 PM »
Nice!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3877 on: March 09, 2019, 08:28:42 PM »
It says that this was researched by the guys at PW.   And I LOVE that tourography at the PW site.   But isn't that still a bit incomplete?

Last I checked, there were some questions about the "Down the Tobes" tour.   I'm pretty sure they confirmed that there was definitely a headlining show on that tour....and it would seem reasonable that they may have played the full Fountain of Lamneth at such a show, but apparently not even the band themselves can confirm that.   Again...the last time I looked into it.   

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DTA

« Reply #3878 on: March 10, 2019, 06:50:05 AM »
This could be a good read. I'm a setlist nut for all bands I'm into, and Rush is one of the more frustrating simply due to the static/non-adventurous nature of their sets throughout the 80's and early 90's and the lack of info about their mid 70's sets. I'm more interested in reading about why the excluded a lot of songs from their live sets and never made an attempt to swap or rotate them. Or even what songs were considered but ultimately dropped for whatever reason.

Lamneth is certainly the biggest mystery of all. I just can't believe that a young band would release their first epic, generally a major accomplishment for any young band, and never reference or play any of it ever in a live show. I know they didn't do a full headline tour for CoS, but I can't believe they wouldn't at least throw in a part of the song. Or maybe they did and it's just never been recorded or noted anywhere. I bet the band themselves don't even remember if they played it (I remember Neil mentioning how they never played Jacob's Ladder live before R40 and that's clearly false).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3879 on: March 10, 2019, 07:42:20 AM »
This looks really cool, I’m going to pick it up.  I’m fascinated by touring life and set lists.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3880 on: March 10, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »
(I remember Neil mentioning how they never played Jacob's Ladder live before R40 and that's clearly false).
Exit Stage Left. ;)
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3881 on: March 10, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »
I'm still waiting for my Geddy Lee bass book - that I ordered over two months ago - to get delivered....

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3882 on: March 10, 2019, 03:06:55 PM »
This could be a good read. I'm a setlist nut for all bands I'm into, and Rush is one of the more frustrating simply due to the static/non-adventurous nature of their sets throughout the 80's and early 90's and the lack of info about their mid 70's sets. I'm more interested in reading about why the excluded a lot of songs from their live sets and never made an attempt to swap or rotate them. Or even what songs were considered but ultimately dropped for whatever reason.

Lamneth is certainly the biggest mystery of all. I just can't believe that a young band would release their first epic, generally a major accomplishment for any young band, and never reference or play any of it ever in a live show. I know they didn't do a full headline tour for CoS, but I can't believe they wouldn't at least throw in a part of the song. Or maybe they did and it's just never been recorded or noted anywhere. I bet the band themselves don't even remember if they played it (I remember Neil mentioning how they never played Jacob's Ladder live before R40 and that's clearly false).

Are you absolutely certain on that?   I thought that was one of the things that is unverified.    At Cygnus X-1.net, most of the tour dates also list the band they opened for.  There are a couple of listings near home that have no headlining act listed.  I thought I had read somewhere that they did at least one date near home (either near the beginning or near the ending of the tour) that was a headlining show....but again, no one can verify it for certain. 

EDIT - Never mind, I just noticed that you said "tour" and not "show".....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3883 on: March 10, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »
Really looking forward to getting that book when it comes out. Right up my alley!  :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3884 on: March 10, 2019, 06:46:13 PM »
New book coming in October that documents their entire touring history.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2019/03/01/5228/New-book-Rush-Wandering-the-Face-of-the-Earth-The-Official-Touring-History-coming-in-October

Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, and Neil Peart performed together for the first time to an audience of 11,000 people in 1974. Forty years later, their last tour sold over 442,000 tickets. This is the story of everything in between. This is the story of Rush.

Fondly known as the Holy Triumvirate, Rush is one of the top bands to shine through rock-and-roll history. Wandering the Face of the Earth covers Rush's storied touring career, from their humble beginnings as a Toronto-area bar band playing middle school gymnasiums to their rise as one of the world's most sought-after live acts, selling out massive arenas around the globe. This book includes every setlist, every opening act, and every noteworthy moment meticulously researched and vetted by the band themselves. This is THE must-have tour compendium for Rush fans.

I'd like to order this from the authors' website if that's possible. Think I'm done with Amazon.