Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496558 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #3780 on: November 22, 2018, 05:48:12 AM »
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves

Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Presto

Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3781 on: November 22, 2018, 06:51:40 AM »
Permanent Waves
Grace Under Pressure
Moving Pictures
Power Windows
Presto
Hold Your Fire

Signals

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3782 on: November 22, 2018, 08:39:22 AM »
Power Windows
Moving Pictures
Hold Your Fire
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Permanent Waves
Presto

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3783 on: November 22, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »
Grace Under Pressure
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Power Windows
Presto
Hold Your Fire
Signals (as much as I love it, I love the others a little more)

This is me, except I might switch Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves in the order.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3784 on: November 22, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »
I think my issue with is I’ve been listening to the albums back to back to back which has given me a bit synth overload.

I also think it’s because of when I got into Rush which was around 10 years ago. My favorite album is snakes and arrows.

Wait, their 80's synth era stuff is forgettable, but Snakes and Arrows is your favorite? I think you're doing it wrong. :P

Levity aside, that was the beauty of Rush: any album can be someone's favorite.  Well, except for Test for Echo.  If that is someone's favorite, they would dethrone TAC for having the most bizarre opinions on the forum. ;)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3785 on: November 22, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »
Lol yea snakes and arrows is their best album by far IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3786 on: November 22, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
Lol yea snakes and arrows is their best album by far IMO.

:P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3787 on: November 22, 2018, 07:01:36 PM »
Levity aside, that was the beauty of Rush: any album can be someone's favorite.  Well, except for Test for Echo.  If that is someone's favorite, they would dethrone TAC for having the most bizarre opinions on the forum. ;)

:lol

Yeah right? Brees is overrated and the Cavs are a playoff team. :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3788 on: November 22, 2018, 07:53:53 PM »
Does Tim even internet?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3789 on: November 22, 2018, 08:05:27 PM »
I'm here ain't I??

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3790 on: November 22, 2018, 08:37:08 PM »

Favorite would be a bit weird.   But it is absolutely my favorite of that 4 album run (Presto-TFE) and it was my #5 all time until Clockwork Angels knocked it down to #6.

And I consider the first 5 songs to be the 2nd greatest opening 5 song run in their entire catalog (only Moving Pictures is better).   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3791 on: November 23, 2018, 01:13:40 AM »
I love Test for Echo!  Time and Motion and Virtuality being my favorite two tracks, followed closely by the title track and Driven.  I even like Dog Years, yes I just said it and you heard me right! 
T4E was a great tour, saw that one at The Gorge in 1997 and they played 2112 in its entirety. Sadly Neil went through the tragedies shortly after that tour leading to a five year hiatus,, and understandably so..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3792 on: November 23, 2018, 08:08:45 AM »
It's my turn to drive.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3793 on: November 23, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
I'm here ain't I??

More than a few sites?   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3794 on: November 25, 2018, 06:29:55 PM »
What’s everyone’s take on 80’s Rush? I’ve been listening through the whole discography and everything past moving pictures is really forgettable. There are a few gems here and there but it’s largely bad imo.

Well...it would have been darn near impossible to top Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, but Signals is a really good album.

As for the next three albums, I would say "forgettable" and "bad" are not completely off the mark.  I've written extensively in this thread about how Grace Under Pressure is a very flawed album from a sonic perspective.  It has two very good songs (The Enemy Within and Between the Wheels), one good song (Kid Gloves) and the rest are no better than average songs.  With better production, I think it could have been much better.  Power Windows sounds better, but only Marathon and Manhattan Project are worth listening to.  The entirety of side 2 and all of Hold Your Fire (with the exception of Mission) are not really worth revisiting.  By the way, the use/overuse of synths is one of the least important factors in these opinions.

Presto was a huge improvement.  Several above average songs, and one of Rush's most underrated songs:  Available Light.

My rankings:

1a. Moving Pictures
1b. Permanent Waves
3. Signals

4. Presto

5. Grace Under Pressure
6. Power Windows (Windows and GUP could switch places on any given day)

7. Hold Your Fire
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3795 on: November 25, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
You are broken pg1067.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3796 on: November 25, 2018, 06:38:44 PM »
Power Windows

Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Grace Under Pressure
Signals
Presto
Hold Your Fire

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3797 on: November 25, 2018, 06:50:19 PM »
80s Rush

Permanent Waves
Power Windows
Moving Pictures
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Presto
Hold Your Fire
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3798 on: November 25, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3799 on: November 25, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
Don't make me make a meme of your brain trauma Tim.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3800 on: November 25, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
Three minute response, PowerWindowsMan! That's pretty good. :lol

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #3801 on: November 26, 2018, 07:49:22 AM »
80's Rush

Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals
Grace under pressure
Power windows, Hold your fire, Presto…...all equal, 2-3 great tunes on each album but the rest is not convincing me
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3802 on: November 26, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »
You are broken pg1067.

I am born.
I am me.
I am new.
I am free.

And if, as a result of my opinions about 80s Rush, I am "broken," does that mean you're "fixed"?

Welcome to Club Broken!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3803 on: November 26, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »
Oh, I've been broken for a while. :lol

I have my mettle friends like Tim who say the same thing.  I just love Power Windows.  That's the only album I have over the greats which is a better run of albums no doubt.  AFTK through MP.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3804 on: November 26, 2018, 12:47:53 PM »
1. Permanent waves
2. Power windows
3. Signals
4. Moving pictures
5. Grace under pressure
6. Presto
7. Hold your fire

The numbers 3, 4 and 5 switch orders quite often for some reason.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
RUSH thread
« Reply #3805 on: November 29, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »
I searched in general music, and how in the flying F is there no RUSH thread on this board. There has to be. And if not, here it is. And if so, please move this damn post.

Anyway, was listening to Counterparts today, and man, that album is sorely underappreciated. I never see much mention of it, but what a solid record from top to bottom. It absolutely felt current for the time period 1993, but with that Rush stamp on it all the way. It's probably one of my most listened to Rush albums, now that I think about it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

Re: RUSH thread
« Reply #3806 on: November 29, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
I searched in general music, and how in the flying F is there no RUSH thread on this board. There has to be. And if not, here it is. And if so, please move this damn post.

Anyway, was listening to Counterparts today, and man, that album is sorely underappreciated. I never see much mention of it, but what a solid record from top to bottom. It absolutely felt current for the time period 1993, but with that Rush stamp on it all the way. It's probably one of my most listened to Rush albums, now that I think about it.

I'm down for a new thread too.

As for Counterparts, I agree that it felt current for the time, but I don't really find myself drawn to it too much.  In 1989, Presto marked a significant improvement and stylistic change over the dark years of GUP through HYF.  The band took a significant misstep with Roll the Bones, but Counterparts was a bit of a return to form -- much better than RTB.  The first half of the album is pretty strong, as is the closer, "Everyday Glory" (probably Rush's strongest closing track post-GUP).  The rest is just meh and, although "Nobody's Hero" was something new that they did pretty well, I don't feel like it's aged well.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3807 on: November 29, 2018, 04:31:35 PM »
PG,

This begs further discussion at the bar in San Fran in March.  :metal

I discovered Rush late and went backward from Test for Echo. I dunno, I just feel the record, Counterparts, had such a great groove to it. A timeless sort of feel, but enough of other elements to tie it back to the period. Jammin it again now.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3808 on: November 29, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
Counterparts felt organic.  It's everything that the DT fabs want to hear from DT.  It was airy, instruments breath and well balanced.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3809 on: November 29, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
Counterparts felt organic.  It's everything that the DT fabs want to hear from DT.  It was airy, instruments breath and well balanced.

YES. Yes. and YES!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3810 on: November 29, 2018, 07:02:52 PM »
Counterparts is stellar! Still my favorite Rush album post-80's and one of the five Rush albums I listen to the most. :hat

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3811 on: November 29, 2018, 07:11:13 PM »
Stick it Out is a kick ass tune!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3812 on: November 29, 2018, 07:17:12 PM »
Presto and Clockwork Angels are my favorite post-80's, but Counterparts is a good album. Cut to the Chase is one of Rush's most underrated songs imo,  great shredding Alex solo too!  Double Agent and Everyday Glory are awesome songs.
  "Stick it Out" would almost sound better performed by Soundgarden..lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3813 on: November 29, 2018, 08:24:03 PM »
Presto and Clockwork Angels are my favorite post-80's, but Counterparts is a good album. Cut to the Chase is one of Rush's most underrated songs imo,  great shredding Alex solo too!  Double Agent and Everyday Glory are awesome songs.
  "Stick it Out" would almost sound better performed by Soundgarden..lol

I hate to be *that guy*, but Presto was recorded and released in 1989, so technically it's still an 80's Rush album (along with Permanent Waves, by release date at least). Granted, I'll let you slide because most people just think of the 3rd Sector of Rush albums as their "80's Albums" when they're really just their more synth-heavy albums, though technically, 7 Rush albums were released in the 80's.

But back to Counterparts, it's easily my favorite Sector 4 album, and nearly every song is amazing. I think the band really enjoy it, too, considering that they've played, I believe, 7 out of the album's 11 songs. It's really got a great sound, as the album production goes, and even holds up to this day as a great rock album!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3814 on: November 29, 2018, 09:33:02 PM »
Absolutely agreed!  :tup