Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 495896 times)

DTA and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #3640 on: September 12, 2018, 03:36:04 PM »
And I get that but for me, it was such an uplifting album, I was a junior in high school, I just can't get enough of it.

So you were 17 in junior high??

Emotionally, yes. :lol

Helluva post for #40,000.

@ TAC... take note where the word "in" is with King's original statement.

:rollin

:facepalm:

Wow, that was bad.. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3641 on: September 12, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »
Yup.  Tim's reading skills suck. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3642 on: September 12, 2018, 04:13:57 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3643 on: September 12, 2018, 04:16:43 PM »
You glazed my post over excited for the kill but shot your foot instead.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3644 on: September 12, 2018, 06:11:47 PM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3645 on: September 13, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »
Nick is dead on.  It's the production of VT.

Without thinking too much about this is the obvious answer.

I'm sure I could think of a few other things that bother me if I put my mind to it, but that might be the biggest one.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3646 on: September 13, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
I agree with Nick as well. Terry Brown was important to the band in the early days, but he had to go when he did.

The sound of VT is definitely a travesty, although the Xanadu into Superconductor medley on the RtB tour stands alone as their biggest WTF

I never thought the split with Terry Brown was a mistake either.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3647 on: September 13, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »
This is a small one but Grand Designs played as an encore on the Power Windows tour.  An album cut from a new album felt out of place.

Not for me. I loved it. That took balls. That was one of the songs I wanted to hear.

Who knew we'd get another bite at the apple in 2012-13?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3648 on: September 13, 2018, 06:44:49 PM »
[quote author=pg1067 link=topic=33827.msg2472539#msg2472539

As far as Broon, when I pan the "synth era," it's not because of the synths.  Synths were all over Signals, but THAT is a great album (albeit not without its own flaws).  If Broon had been allowed to produce GUP through HYF (and if he had been willing to be more flexible), I feel like those albums could have been much better.  I've written previously that some of the recent live versions of Red Sector A demonstrate that GUP could potentially have been much better with better production.

The quality of Vapor Trails is another good candidate.  I distinctly recall playing it and wondering if there was something wrong with my stereo.

[/quote]

That's just it though. Terry Brown wasn't willing to be flexible so it was the right decision as difficult as it was.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3649 on: September 13, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
The remaster is better than the Gold Disk.

On CD?  That gold disc is flat out amazing (So warm!.) Best of the 4 Mobile Fidelity Rush CDs.

The Sector CD isn't too bad either. 97 Remaster is by far the worst. Original atomic isn't quite as good as the Sector.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3650 on: September 13, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »
Our first argument. ❤  lol

You are the first person that I know to say that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3651 on: September 13, 2018, 06:57:16 PM »
I have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab gold CD of Dark Side of the Moon, and I have to say the sound quality is amazing. It's the only version where I've been able to hear the "Ticket to Ride" snippet under the final heartbeats.

It sure is.......

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3652 on: September 13, 2018, 07:00:56 PM »
I'm not quite with Tim on my views of Power Windows, but I have no idea how this fits as a Top 3 record from a band that delivered Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres.  Sure, it's got 8 excellent songs, but nothing jumps out at me as a top 10, or even top 20 Rush song.

It might be a Top 5 album, but no way it out-ranks either of those ones I mentioned, and I might even put 2112 and Clockwork ahead of it.

:dunno:

Side A of Moving Pictures is legendary. And then The Camera Eye comes in at the halfway point and just brings the whole album down imo, which is a shame since it's literally a third of the album's total runtime.

I'd consider side two even MORE legendary. Side one has Limelight which brings it down a few notches. But that's just me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3653 on: September 13, 2018, 07:01:34 PM »
I have it to. I'm specifically talking about the Signals gold disk.

Edit, idiot I am. Yes, I talk like Yoda.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3654 on: September 13, 2018, 07:04:27 PM »

On CD?  That gold disc is flat out amazing (So warm!.) Best of the 4 Mobile Fidelity Rush CDs.

The Sector CD isn't too bad either. 97 Remaster is by far the worst. Original atomic isn't quite as good as the Sector.

John, WTF are you talking about? :lol

Mobile fidelity, atomic, Sector? :lol :facepalm:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3655 on: September 13, 2018, 07:10:50 PM »
You asked, so...   I think a good portion of fans reject Tai Shan because Geddy said HE (and the band) didn't care for it.   "Well Geddy doesn't like it, it MUST suck!"   

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.  For me, however, this month marks the 31st anniversary of me not liking the song.  I didn't become aware of Geddy's or the band's opinion about the song until probably sometime in the last decade (and, in any event, what a particular artist thinks about a particular song is of no relevance at all to me).

I like them both. Obviously your mileage varies.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3656 on: September 13, 2018, 07:11:30 PM »
Tim, WTF?! I sent you a link! Lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3657 on: September 13, 2018, 07:18:25 PM »

John, WTF are you talking about? :lol

Mobile fidelity, atomic, Sector? :lol :facepalm:

Tim,  you must not have read the Genesis thread. (I'm kidding this isn't in the Genesis thread.)

Those are different masterings of the same album and there are subtle and not so subtle differences with each one.

I'm here all week. Try the buffalo chicken. (Free bucket at Best Buy when you bought the Snakes And Arrows Live album -- again. I'm kidding.)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3658 on: September 13, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »
How many times can you remaster the same album? I mean, a Rush thread is going to have a lot of nerdy posts but this one takes the cake:

:lol

It made me laugh. :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3659 on: September 13, 2018, 07:34:33 PM »
How many times can you remaster the same album? I mean, a Rush thread is going to have a lot of nerdy posts but this one takes the cake:

:lol

It made me laugh. :tup

I'm sure I topped myself elsewhere in this thread.

It's a good thing you aren't an ELP fan, Those reissues are even worse. Even I need a scorecard.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3660 on: September 21, 2018, 07:38:09 PM »

You got one of these in a boxer pup?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3661 on: October 02, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »
Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass -- in standard and "luxe" and "ultra" limited editions:

https://rushbackstage.com/dept/book-of-bass?cp=102112_102929

For $950, I'm gonna need Geddy to deliver it personally and play a song or two with me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3662 on: October 02, 2018, 05:12:36 PM »
So basically you're paying for that nice case.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3663 on: October 03, 2018, 02:22:01 AM »
Sorry, but who would want a mug with "Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass" written on it?
any rock can be made to roll

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3664 on: October 03, 2018, 07:25:44 AM »
Sorry, but who would want a mug with "Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass" written on it?

Mrs. Lee?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3665 on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:36 AM »

Mrs. Lee?

No arguments here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3666 on: October 03, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »

Mrs. Lee?

And Kingshmegland. Oh wait, you already said Mrs. Lee.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3667 on: October 03, 2018, 09:44:44 AM »
Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass -- in standard and "luxe" and "ultra" limited editions:

https://rushbackstage.com/dept/book-of-bass?cp=102112_102929

For $950, I'm gonna need Geddy to deliver it personally and play a song or two with me.

For $950 you can buy your own Geddy signature bass...think about that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3668 on: October 03, 2018, 11:39:48 AM »

In addition to the book, you get:

1. Signed and numbered by Geddy
2. A "customized slipcase"
3. A "silver tolex briefcase ("reminiscent of certain guitar cases," and which is presumably suitable for nothing other than storing the book)
4. Behind the scenes mini-booklet
5. Two guitar picks
6. A signed photo of Geddy
7. An R40 set list that includes which bass Geddy played for each song
8. A "vintage Fender hang tag reproduction"
9. A set of bass strings
10. A guitar polishing cloth
11. An extra "standard edition" of the book because "some collectors will not want to break the shrinkwrap on their Ultra Limited Edition"

Some of it's cool; some of it's a little odd (a set of strings and a polishing cloth???).  For me, the only things I'd be willing to pay extra for would be Geddy's signature and the behind the scenes mini-booklet.  The "Luxe" edition has those things (plus a "custom fabric book bag" and the picks) for $450, but that's way too much for me to consider spending.  I'm find with the "standard edition" for $60 (or whatever it's going for on Amazon at the moment).

The guy two offices down from me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3669 on: October 03, 2018, 11:40:54 AM »
Pretty sure the polishing cloth will come in handy.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3670 on: October 03, 2018, 12:15:40 PM »

The guy two offices down from me.

Well... at least he has good music taste.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3671 on: October 04, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »

In addition to the book, you get:

1. Signed and numbered by Geddy
2. A "customized slipcase"
3. A "silver tolex briefcase ("reminiscent of certain guitar cases," and which is presumably suitable for nothing other than storing the book)
4. Behind the scenes mini-booklet
5. Two guitar picks
6. A signed photo of Geddy
7. An R40 set list that includes which bass Geddy played for each song
8. A "vintage Fender hang tag reproduction"
9. A set of bass strings
10. A guitar polishing cloth
11. An extra "standard edition" of the book because "some collectors will not want to break the shrinkwrap on their Ultra Limited Edition"

Some of it's cool; some of it's a little odd (a set of strings and a polishing cloth???).  For me, the only things I'd be willing to pay extra for would be Geddy's signature and the behind the scenes mini-booklet.  The "Luxe" edition has those things (plus a "custom fabric book bag" and the picks) for $450, but that's way too much for me to consider spending.  I'm find with the "standard edition" for $60 (or whatever it's going for on Amazon at the moment).

I was considering going in at $450 because I really like the packaging.

Unfortunately for me, I don't like the art at all and I'm certainly not buying into the T-shirts and coffee mugs.  So I can't justify getting something at that price I don't like. I wonder who designed it.

Standard edition for me. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3672 on: October 04, 2018, 06:32:23 PM »
I didn't look but what is the book about?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3673 on: October 05, 2018, 07:40:27 AM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3674 on: October 05, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »
In.