Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 495733 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #3605 on: September 11, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »
I was shocked to be honest. The Hotel California gold disk is amazing sounding.  I was blown away how the remaster blew away the Rush gold disk.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3606 on: September 11, 2018, 08:11:11 PM »
I was blown away how the remaster blew away the Rush gold disk.

That's a lot of blowing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3607 on: September 11, 2018, 08:12:58 PM »
You would know.

Tim, you never heard of the gold plated disk series?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3608 on: September 11, 2018, 08:13:57 PM »
I hate to do it but....

WTF is the Gold Plated Disk Series? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3609 on: September 11, 2018, 08:15:27 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3611 on: September 11, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »
I had like 6 or 7 of those, and then sold them all a few years later on eBay for like 3-4 times the value of each. #profit

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3612 on: September 11, 2018, 08:30:29 PM »
The Signals one has a missing line on The Weapon. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3613 on: September 11, 2018, 09:34:26 PM »
The Signals one has a missing line on The Weapon.

I was just dropping in to say this.   Apparently they added one line in post production so the original master tapes didn’t have the line.    I think everyone with the band had forgotten that they had done that, and no one realized there was a mistake until after the gold disc had been released.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3614 on: September 11, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »
Oh...and....Power Windows is EASILY an all time top 3 Rush record.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #3615 on: September 12, 2018, 12:28:58 AM »
Oh...and....Power Windows is EASILY an all time top 3 Rush record.

Power Windows is magnificent, but I personally prefer Grace Under Pressure when it comes to the 80's era of Rush. Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, Red Sector A, Between the Wheels? Some of the absolute finest songs Rush ever came up with IMO. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3616 on: September 12, 2018, 02:27:28 AM »
I have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab gold CD of Dark Side of the Moon, and I have to say the sound quality is amazing. It's the only version where I've been able to hear the "Ticket to Ride" snippet under the final heartbeats.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3617 on: September 12, 2018, 03:14:30 AM »
I have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab gold CD of Dark Side of the Moon, and I have to say the sound quality is amazing. It's the only version where I've been able to hear the "Ticket to Ride" snippet under the final heartbeats.

What?  :o  I have to listen to that.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3618 on: September 12, 2018, 05:06:39 AM »
I'm not quite with Tim on my views of Power Windows, but I have no idea how this fits as a Top 3 record from a band that delivered Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres.  Sure, it's got 8 excellent songs, but nothing jumps out at me as a top 10, or even top 20 Rush song.

It might be a Top 5 album, but no way it out-ranks either of those ones I mentioned, and I might even put 2112 and Clockwork ahead of it.

:dunno:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3619 on: September 12, 2018, 06:04:03 AM »
And I get that but for me, it was such an uplifting album, I was a junior in high school, I just can't get enough of it.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #3620 on: September 12, 2018, 07:08:11 AM »
I'm not quite with Tim on my views of Power Windows, but I have no idea how this fits as a Top 3 record from a band that delivered Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres.  Sure, it's got 8 excellent songs, but nothing jumps out at me as a top 10, or even top 20 Rush song.

It might be a Top 5 album, but no way it out-ranks either of those ones I mentioned, and I might even put 2112 and Clockwork ahead of it.

Side A of Moving Pictures is legendary. And then The Camera Eye comes in at the halfway point and just brings the whole album down imo, which is a shame since it's literally a third of the album's total runtime.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3621 on: September 12, 2018, 07:44:34 AM »
I think you don't know the definition of the word. :lol

Also, Welcome To The Real World is a fantastic album.

Agreed.

King, don't let the bastards grind you down.  I'm right there with you.  They're just jealous because  they didn't get to see all those great shows. :) :)

My answer to the mistake question:

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3622 on: September 12, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
Don't forget this one:

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3623 on: September 12, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »

Side A of Moving Pictures is legendary. And then The Camera Eye comes in at the halfway point and just brings the whole album down imo, which is a shame since it's literally a third of the album's total runtime.

I mean this respectfully, and only in the interest of showing "taste is subjective", but  you praised p/g and slagged The Camera Eye.  It's not a surprise to anyone here because I've said it ad nauseum, but p/g is a BOTTOM three album for me (the only ones I like less are the debut and Roll The Bones) and "The Camera Eye" is a top 10 Rush song for me. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3624 on: September 12, 2018, 09:00:13 AM »

I think your math is failing you if you think a song under 11 minutes is “literally” 1/3 of an album over 40 minutes. :P

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #3625 on: September 12, 2018, 09:16:37 AM »

I think your math is failing you if you think a song under 11 minutes is “literally” 1/3 of an album over 40 minutes. :P

Right, I meant a quarter of the album's overall running time. I've been busy lately, so my apologies for getting my fractions ever so slightly off. :tup :lol

Point is- The Camera Eye is wayyy too big of a chunk of Moving Pictures imo.

I mean this respectfully, and only in the interest of showing "taste is subjective", but  you praised p/g and slagged The Camera Eye.  It's not a surprise to anyone here because I've said it ad nauseum, but p/g is a BOTTOM three album for me (the only ones I like less are the debut and Roll The Bones) and "The Camera Eye" is a top 10 Rush song for me. 

That's a shame to hear. I think P/G is a bit shaky in the middle (nothing terrible though), but kind of like Moving Pictures, it opens really strong and I think it ends on one hell of a highlight with Between the Wheels.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3626 on: September 12, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
"Between The Wheels" is one of the better tracks, but it's not even a top 10 album closer in the Rush catalogue (I prefer "Working Man", "In The End", "The Fountain of Lamneth", "Something For Nothing", "La Villa Strangiato" (my favorite Rush song  ever), "Natural Science", "Countdown", "Mystic Rhythms", "Available Light", "We Hold On", and "The Garden" (even though massively over-rated) over BTW.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3627 on: September 12, 2018, 10:08:15 AM »
And I get that but for me, it was such an uplifting album, I was a junior in high school, I just can't get enough of it.

So you were 17 in junior high??

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3628 on: September 12, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

You're not serious, right?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3629 on: September 12, 2018, 10:33:06 AM »
Yes, Power Windows is a Top 3 album during the run of Signals through HYF.

I think Signals sounds great. It has aged very well.

Hell, I'd go as far as to say it's a top 3 album if you consider everything from Signals through RtB:  (1) Signals; (2) Presto; (3) Power Windows....  GUP has more good songs than PoW, but PoW sounds better, so it gets a slight edge.

I have no idea how this fits as a Top 3 record from a band that delivered Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres.  . . . nothing jumps out at me as a top 10, or even top 20 Rush song.

Yup.  Marathon might crack the top 75, but that's about it.

Don't forget this one:

Even Geddy would agree with you about this.

"Between The Wheels" is one of the better tracks, but it's not even a top 10 album closer in the Rush catalogue (I prefer "Working Man", "In The End", "The Fountain of Lamneth", "Something For Nothing", "La Villa Strangiato" (my favorite Rush song  ever), "Natural Science", "Countdown", "Mystic Rhythms", "Available Light", "We Hold On", and "The Garden" (even though massively over-rated) over BTW.)

Mystic Rhythms?  That's a Tai Shan level song.  Available Light, on the other hand, is one of Rush's most underrated songs (and makes up for having Hand Over Fist on Presto).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3630 on: September 12, 2018, 10:44:55 AM »

Emotionally, yes. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3631 on: September 12, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »

Mystic Rhythms?  That's a Tai Shan level song.  Available Light, on the other hand, is one of Rush's most underrated songs (and makes up for having Hand Over Fist on Presto).

I never understood the hate for Tai Shan.  I love Hold Your Fire, and I like that song.  I have a theory, but I believe it will be wildly unpopular here, so I'm going to keep it to myself. 

Just for perspective: the so-called 'synth era' has aged very well with me;  I think very highly of the run from Signals - > PW (though side two is weak) - > Hold Your Fire (Prime Mover!!) - > to Presto.  Only p/g is an anchor on that. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3632 on: September 12, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »

Emotionally, yes. :lol

Helluva post for #40,000.

@ TAC... take note where the word "in" is with King's original statement.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3633 on: September 12, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »
I'd agree that Power Windows is easily one of Rush's best albums. I like Tai Shan a lot as well.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3634 on: September 12, 2018, 12:03:24 PM »
It has always bugged me how, although being generally rank-happy, I am incapable of ranking Rush's discography. It only happens with them and The Beatles, no other act I care about.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3636 on: September 12, 2018, 12:53:36 PM »

I never understood the hate for Tai Shan.  I love Hold Your Fire, and I like that song.  I have a theory, but I believe it will be wildly unpopular here, so I'm going to keep it to myself.

A theory about...??

Anyway, I don't "hate" Tai Shan (that word is reserved for stuff like "Tush" by ZZ Top or the sound a vacuum cleaner makes when a cat is caught in it).  It's just bland and boring.  Mystic Rhythms is worse.

https://loudwire.com/guy-air-drum-rush-nfl-game-rush-love-it/

I saw this on Dan Patrick's show earlier this week.  It's awesome!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3638 on: September 12, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »

A theory about...??

Anyway, I don't "hate" Tai Shan (that word is reserved for stuff like "Tush" by ZZ Top or the sound a vacuum cleaner makes when a cat is caught in it).  It's just bland and boring.  Mystic Rhythms is worse.

You asked, so...   I think a good portion of fans reject Tai Shan because Geddy said HE (and the band) didn't care for it.   "Well Geddy doesn't like it, it MUST suck!"   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3639 on: September 12, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
You asked, so...   I think a good portion of fans reject Tai Shan because Geddy said HE (and the band) didn't care for it.   "Well Geddy doesn't like it, it MUST suck!"   

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.  For me, however, this month marks the 31st anniversary of me not liking the song.  I didn't become aware of Geddy's or the band's opinion about the song until probably sometime in the last decade (and, in any event, what a particular artist thinks about a particular song is of no relevance at all to me).