Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 493971 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #3570 on: August 24, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »
I was digging through a drawer in which I keep some of my music memorabilia and came across the inner sleeve of Fly By Night (pictured in the upper right of this photo)

I recall that the first copy of FbN that I bought had only a clear plastic inner sleeve and that I found the album with this inner sleeve in a used record bin at some point.  Anyway, I noticed that the lyrics for the song "Fly by Night" start with the following:

"PROLOGUE:
     airport scurry, flurry faces
     parade of passers-by
     people going many places
     with a smile or just a sigh
     waiting, waiting, pass the time
     another cigarette
     got in line - gate thirty-nine
     the time is not here yet....."

Anyone ever seen this before or know what it's about?  I'm fairly sure I hadn't see this inner sleeve with the lyrics in 25+ years, but I don't recall ever noticing this.  Pretty amazing that, after all this time as a Rush fan, there are still things I wasn't aware of.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3571 on: August 24, 2018, 05:08:10 PM »
Interesting.  I gotta remember to check out mine when I get home later.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3572 on: August 26, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »
I was digging through a drawer in which I keep some of my music memorabilia and came across the inner sleeve of Fly By Night (pictured in the upper right of this photo)

I recall that the first copy of FbN that I bought had only a clear plastic inner sleeve and that I found the album with this inner sleeve in a used record bin at some point.  Anyway, I noticed that the lyrics for the song "Fly by Night" start with the following:

"PROLOGUE:
     airport scurry, flurry faces
     parade of passers-by
     people going many places
     with a smile or just a sigh
     waiting, waiting, pass the time
     another cigarette
     got in line - gate thirty-nine
     the time is not here yet....."

Anyone ever seen this before or know what it's about?  I'm fairly sure I hadn't see this inner sleeve with the lyrics in 25+ years, but I don't recall ever noticing this.  Pretty amazing that, after all this time as a Rush fan, there are still things I wasn't aware of.

I forgot about this. When I first became a fan my first version of Fly By Night was the reissue without the lyrics, but later I found some original pressings with the lyrics in both blue and black ink. I'd long forgotten about those words.

That was one of these questions I'd wanted to ask when Geddy was on Rockline in 1987 and '89 but as usual I wasn't able to get through the busy signal. I only ever got through twice but both times I was still on hold when the program ended

Never bothered with any Japanese CD of this.

I always thought it was cool that the cities were listed where the lyrics were written. Never found much information about that period and Caress Of Steel.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3573 on: September 11, 2018, 11:56:54 AM »
I was having a discussion on Facebook and then with a fellow Rush fan at work:

What was Rush's biggest mistake?

Interpret it however you like.

My answer is the termination of the band's relationship with Terry Brown.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3574 on: September 11, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »

That's a STRONG contender, for sure. Another suggestion would be adopting the keyboard-laden and thin production of Hold Your Fire up to Roll the Bones.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3575 on: September 11, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »

That's a STRONG contender, for sure. Another suggestion would be adopting the keyboard-laden and thin production of Hold Your Fire up to Roll the Bones.

I can see why anyone would say both of these and yet find fault in both. After Signals Rush was moving in a different direction, and if they didn't think Terry was the right guy for that new direction then starting a new relationship instead of potentially souring what they had was probably the right decision. Hard to know what those albums would have been like had he stayed around. I think it's foolish to think Rush's golden-era style records would have just continued had Terry stayed.

Similarly with the synth direction there was no avoiding it. It's not like it was a random experiment or a one off decision, it was something they dedicated themselves to fully.

And without both of these decisions we would not have had a top 5 (if not top 3) Rush album in Power Windows, which was produced by Peter Collins who would later produce Counterparts as well, the nearly undisputed champ of that era of Rush, as Power Windows is for the synth era.

To me the obvious answer is to allow Vapor Trails to sound how it did on initial release. For a band with their budget it was absolutely, 100% inexcusable.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3576 on: September 11, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »
Nick is dead on.  It's the production of VT.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3577 on: September 11, 2018, 12:47:42 PM »
Here's another one, although I'm happy with how that album turned out - they had conversations with Steve Lillywhite to produce Grace Under Pressure but didn't sign a contract, and were left hanging when Steve decided to produce whatever album U2 was recording at the time. It's all good though, I love GUP, but I know it's criticized by many fans.

And I get what Nick was saying, the synth period was a "thing" for that era, and Rush always seemed to adopt parts of what went on in the musical landscape when they recorded something new - the Zeppelin influences in the beginning, then prog in the late 70's, the synths and New wave-ish sound, the grunge style of Counterparts and so on.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3578 on: September 11, 2018, 01:01:44 PM »
Nick is dead on.  It's the production of VT.

Agreed. As great as that album and its songs ended up being, the production of it was a series of unfortunate mistakes. The whole idea of the synth era was built upon ideas and experiments the band had already been working on and developing in their music for years, and what Nick said about TB is pretty spot on - a change was needed for the band. Both of these things were very conscious decisions and while the synth era may not be everyone's cup of tea, I think more fans could agree on the VT production being horrible.

Of course, the REAL mistake was letting Rutsey leave the band. Now THERE is an alternate-universe I'd love to peek into...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3579 on: September 11, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »
I agree with Nick as well. Terry Brown was important to the band in the early days, but he had to go when he did.

The sound of VT is definitely a travesty, although the Xanadu into Superconductor medley on the RtB tour stands alone as their biggest WTF

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3580 on: September 11, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »
This is a small one but Grand Designs played as an encore on the Power Windows tour.  An album cut from a new album felt out of place.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3581 on: September 11, 2018, 01:11:31 PM »
This is a small one but Grand Designs played as an encore on the Power Windows tour.  An album cut from a new album felt out of place.

Every album cut felt out of place on that tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3582 on: September 11, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »

You high bro, high!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3583 on: September 11, 2018, 01:27:29 PM »
Well, I was then! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3584 on: September 11, 2018, 01:31:00 PM »
 :lol

Too funny.  I was looking at the setlist.  It's fun to look back at shows you went to 33 years ago. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3585 on: September 11, 2018, 01:34:40 PM »

Too funny.  I was looking at the setlist.  It's fun to look back at shows you went to 33 years ago.

Is this where you tell us a Mr. Mister set list?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3586 on: September 11, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »

Only saw them once.

I could still tell you. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3587 on: September 11, 2018, 01:50:48 PM »

Steve Morse opened the Power Windows show here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3588 on: September 11, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »

Steve Morse opened the Power Windows show here.

Kev is mocking my concert going prowess.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3589 on: September 11, 2018, 02:30:48 PM »
Not sure attending Mr Mister equates to prowess. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3590 on: September 11, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »
Not sure attending Mr Mister equates to prowess. :lol

Come at me bro!   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3591 on: September 11, 2018, 03:11:56 PM »

So prowess  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3592 on: September 11, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »
I think you don't know the definition of the word. :lol

Also, Welcome To The Real World is a fantastic album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3593 on: September 11, 2018, 03:33:32 PM »
I think you don't know the definition of the word. :lol

Pretty sure you're not too clear on it either. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3594 on: September 11, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »
Prowess - skill or expertise in a particular activity or field.
The "activity" of going to concerts.  The amount of concerts.

Silly grumpy old man. :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3595 on: September 11, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »

I can see why anyone would say both of these and yet find fault in both. After Signals Rush was moving in a different direction, and if they didn't think Terry was the right guy for that new direction then starting a new relationship instead of potentially souring what they had was probably the right decision. Hard to know what those albums would have been like had he stayed around. I think it's foolish to think Rush's golden-era style records would have just continued had Terry stayed.

Similarly with the synth direction there was no avoiding it. It's not like it was a random experiment or a one off decision, it was something they dedicated themselves to fully.

And without both of these decisions we would not have had a top 5 (if not top 3) Rush album in Power Windows, which was produced by Peter Collins who would later produce Counterparts as well, the nearly undisputed champ of that era of Rush, as Power Windows is for the synth era.

To me the obvious answer is to allow Vapor Trails to sound how it did on initial release. For a band with their budget it was absolutely, 100% inexcusable.

Power Windows top 5?  LOL!  And yes, it's the "champ of . . . the synth era," but that's only because it's competition is even worse.  Anyway...opinions....

As far as Broon, when I pan the "synth era," it's not because of the synths.  Synths were all over Signals, but THAT is a great album (albeit not without its own flaws).  If Broon had been allowed to produce GUP through HYF (and if he had been willing to be more flexible), I feel like those albums could have been much better.  I've written previously that some of the recent live versions of Red Sector A demonstrate that GUP could potentially have been much better with better production.

The quality of Vapor Trails is another good candidate.  I distinctly recall playing it and wondering if there was something wrong with my stereo.

Of course, the REAL mistake was letting Rutsey leave the band. Now THERE is an alternate-universe I'd love to peek into...

LOL!  Had Rutsey stuck around, I'm pretty sure this thread wouldn't exist and Rush might be held in about the same regard as Grand Funk Railroad.

The inclusion of Grand Designs felt even more awkward sandwiched between Temples of Syrinx and In the Mood.  But the Power Windows tour was an improvement over the GUP tour with The Trees and Limelight back in the set list.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3596 on: September 11, 2018, 07:37:56 PM »
Power Windows is a top 3 Rush record.

Grace Under Pressure could have used a better producer, especially for some of those Side 2 songs, which aren't bad but could have been better (Between the Wheels notwithstanding), but Terry Brown was not the man to produce Rush albums that were synth-heavy, which Signals demonstrated quite clearly when you listen to the mix.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3597 on: September 11, 2018, 07:40:10 PM »
Yes, Power Windows is a Top 3 album during the run of Signals through HYF.

I think Signals sounds great. It has aged very well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3598 on: September 11, 2018, 07:42:51 PM »
Sorry.  Power Windows is amazing. The majority speaks.  The minority mocks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3599 on: September 11, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »
The remasters of Signals have helped its sound greatly; the original was a mess.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3600 on: September 11, 2018, 07:46:25 PM »
I didn't mind the original. I mean the album wanted to make me want to gag at first. But over time, and especially what would follow it, it has aged quite well. I'd give the remaster a listen though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3601 on: September 11, 2018, 07:48:04 PM »
The remaster is better than the Gold Disk.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3602 on: September 11, 2018, 07:48:54 PM »
Gold Disk?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3603 on: September 11, 2018, 08:01:00 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3604 on: September 11, 2018, 08:05:02 PM »
So is that like better than the original but not as good as the remaster? :lol