Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496463 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush
« Reply #3255 on: May 11, 2018, 11:26:05 AM »
:lol

Power Windows is love. Power Windows is life.

Power Windows is...ummm....ummm....better than Hold Your Fire....

What are the five worst Rush albums of all time?

Power Windows... Counterparts, Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones.

ftfy

Fisticuffs at dawn for this poppycock, sir.

If I'm going to fight over how bad some of Rush's stinkier albums are, I'm going to need to be pretty drunk, which means dawn will NOT work for me.   :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3256 on: May 11, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »
Then I'm Japanese and quietly attack in the morning! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3257 on: May 11, 2018, 11:47:37 AM »
Rush doesn't have any stinky albums, so it would be a very short discussion. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3258 on: May 11, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »

Yes, very short:  p/g and T4E.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3259 on: May 11, 2018, 03:52:53 PM »

And RtB and HYF and Counterparts....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3260 on: May 11, 2018, 05:04:28 PM »
No way - to both of you. :)  But you're right, we shouldn't argue about it. I'll just feel sorry for you, since you're so clearly missing out... ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3261 on: May 11, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »
No way - to both of you. :)  But you're right, we shouldn't argue about it. I'll just feel sorry for you, since you're so clearly missing out... ;)

"Grace Under Pressure:  Causing fans to miss out for nearly 35 years!"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3262 on: May 11, 2018, 07:57:33 PM »

"Grace Under Pressure:  Causing fans to miss out for nearly 35 years!"

That would be Signals.  That was a polarizing album with the heavy handed use of keyboards.  I remember a lot of friends did not like the direction.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3263 on: May 12, 2018, 06:13:45 AM »
Yes, it definitely would be Signals, only reinforced with GUP. Both albums have aged very well. Well, 5 of the 8 tracks on GUP have.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3264 on: May 12, 2018, 06:20:22 AM »
A Farewell To Kings and T4E are definitely stinkers. Presto and HYF aren't gems either...

Fight me. At dawn! Drunk!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3265 on: May 12, 2018, 06:21:57 AM »
GUP was a heavy guitar album and was a reaction to Signals.  They had Hugh Padgham (of The Police fame) set as the producer and he pulled out right before hitting the studio.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3266 on: May 12, 2018, 06:27:29 AM »
A Farewell To Kings and T4E are definitely stinkers. Presto and HYF aren't gems either...

wha :dangerwillrobinson:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3267 on: May 12, 2018, 06:29:32 AM »

wha :dangerwillrobinson:

Rite?!?!?!  AFTK is my #3 Album of all-time. 

Kids these days.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3268 on: May 12, 2018, 06:30:53 AM »
A Farewell to Kings - boring
Xanadu - boring and too long
Closer to the Heart - annoying
Cinderella Man - boring
Madrigal - boring
Cygnus - boring

I know it's a hot take. Just my opinion.  :lol Signals and GUP are far more enjoyable albums imo. But I love synths...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3269 on: May 12, 2018, 06:36:30 AM »
Cinderella Man - boring
Madrigal - boring
Cygnus - boring

I know it's a hot take. Just my opinion.  :lol 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3270 on: May 12, 2018, 06:39:27 AM »
I don't know if I should

or

or

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3271 on: May 12, 2018, 06:48:33 AM »
 :rollin

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3272 on: May 12, 2018, 06:50:12 AM »
You told us to fight you, I think this is our method of combat  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3273 on: May 12, 2018, 07:04:12 AM »
Cinderella Man - boring
Madrigal - boring
Cygnus - boring

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3274 on: May 12, 2018, 07:20:22 AM »
Cinderella Man - boring
Madrigal - boring
Cygnus - boring

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3275 on: May 12, 2018, 08:27:34 AM »
I was never too crazy about A Farewell to kings, but I wouldn't go that far.  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3276 on: May 12, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »
He's just as wrong as Stadler and pgIpretendnottolikep/gbutit'stherealreasonformyusername1067 are.  :)

Perhaps one day he'll see the error of his ways.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3277 on: May 12, 2018, 11:28:24 AM »
Am not! Will not!   :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3278 on: May 12, 2018, 11:33:28 AM »
I'm not a religious person, but maybe I'll have a friend light a candle and say a little prayer for you that you'll one day allow the glory of Cygnus into your heart...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3279 on: May 12, 2018, 12:14:30 PM »
I already have the glory of Cygnus in my heart, and its name is Hemispheres.  :neverusethis:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3280 on: May 12, 2018, 12:36:18 PM »
Let's face the REAL truth here - ALL Rush albums are boring/bad*, but we still love them all anyway. Maybe WE are boring people?  :lol

*Not really my opinion, I actually really like almost every Rush album, even the supposed "stinkers"

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3281 on: May 12, 2018, 12:52:56 PM »
Cinderella Man - boring
Madrigal - boring
Cygnus - boring

aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3282 on: May 14, 2018, 06:43:58 AM »
GUP was a heavy guitar album and was a reaction to Signals.  They had Hugh Padgham (of The Police fame) set as the producer and he pulled out right before hitting the studio.

And that's why it misses for me.  It was SUPPOSED to be a "heavy guitar album" but rather than channel the "Jimmy Page" of most of the rest of the catalogue, he channeled "Andy Summers".   Andy Summers is a lot of things, most of them great, but "heavy guitar" is not one of them.   Plus, those drums sounds... ack. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3283 on: May 14, 2018, 06:48:49 AM »

And that's why it misses for me.  It was SUPPOSED to be a "heavy guitar album" but rather than channel the "Jimmy Page" of most of the rest of the catalogue, he channeled "Andy Summers".   Andy Summers is a lot of things, most of them great, but "heavy guitar" is not one of them.   Plus, those drums sounds... ack.

I would say you did a disservice to yourself.  This wasn't 1974 Alex,  This was 1984 Alex and you should have known the influences of that time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3284 on: May 14, 2018, 07:44:48 AM »

I would say you did a disservice to yourself.  This wasn't 1974 Alex,  This was 1984 Alex and you should have known the influences of that time.

I wouldn't argue that; oddly I love - I mean, "Top Five Or So Rush Albums Ever" love - the albums around it (Signals and Power Windows).   I don't know the best analogy, except maybe food:   Alex's guitar playing at that time was like garlic; in a spaghetti sauce, it's AWESOME (Signals), and on a pizza it's AWESOME (Power Windows), but on breakfast cereal, it's not (p/g).   My biggest beef with p/g is not Alex, it's Neil.   That drum sound.    The best example is the fill on "Red Sector A" right before Geddy sings "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gates..."; that should be an epic, for-the-ages Neil Peart drum fill - like the roll at the start of Subdivisions, textured, nuanced, evocative - and instead it sounds like Naked Eyes, "Always Something There To Remind Me".   If Rush was Dream Theater, instead of playing "Peruvian Skies" and interpolating "Have A Cigar" and "Enter Sandman", or playing "Surrounded" and interpolating "Mother" and "Sugar Mice", they'd play "Red Sector A" and interpolate "Always Something There To Remind Me".

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3285 on: May 14, 2018, 07:46:55 AM »
I always thought that Alex's guitars around this time sounded like he was trying to be Andy Summers.  Now I know why.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3286 on: May 14, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »

I wouldn't argue that; oddly I love - I mean, "Top Five Or So Rush Albums Ever" love - the albums around it (Signals and Power Windows).   I don't know the best analogy, except maybe food:   Alex's guitar playing at that time was like garlic; in a spaghetti sauce, it's AWESOME (Signals), and on a pizza it's AWESOME (Power Windows), but on breakfast cereal, it's not (p/g).   My biggest beef with p/g is not Alex, it's Neil.   That drum sound.    The best example is the fill on "Red Sector A" right before Geddy sings "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gates..."; that should be an epic, for-the-ages Neil Peart drum fill - like the roll at the start of Subdivisions, textured, nuanced, evocative - and instead it sounds like Naked Eyes, "Always Something There To Remind Me".   If Rush was Dream Theater, instead of playing "Peruvian Skies" and interpolating "Have A Cigar" and "Enter Sandman", or playing "Surrounded" and interpolating "Mother" and "Sugar Mice", they'd play "Red Sector A" and interpolate "Always Something There To Remind Me".

:rollin
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3287 on: May 14, 2018, 09:00:38 AM »

:tdwn :yeahright  :natalieportman:  :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3288 on: May 14, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »
Well this discussion is similar to what we talk about with JP now with the Chocolate layer cake ect.......

We all do it.  Stadler is no different.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3289 on: May 14, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »
I don't know who Andy Summers is, but I really like the way Grace Under Pressure sounds.