Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496758 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3150 on: April 05, 2018, 07:24:04 PM »
I'm still getting familiar with what is Rush heresy and what isn't.  :lol

I appear to be the resident Rush heretic here.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3151 on: April 05, 2018, 07:25:31 PM »
I'm still getting familiar with what is Rush heresy and what isn't.  :lol

Heresy is track seven on Roll the Bones.  ;). It’s also somewhat blasphemous to say it’s one of your favorites from that album.

That figures. I like it.  Wish they played it live, actually.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3152 on: April 05, 2018, 07:30:44 PM »
I've been following this thread on and off for a while and I'm a fan of rush but I have question to you guys:

Why is Snakes and Arrows rated so low on some of these lists? I honestly, no joke, think it's rush's greatest album.

Only problem with Snakes and Arrows is that Clockwork Angels came after it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3153 on: April 05, 2018, 07:31:58 PM »
And every other album came before it..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3154 on: April 05, 2018, 07:32:19 PM »
I wished they played The Big Wheel live.  That song was made to be played live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3155 on: April 05, 2018, 07:38:04 PM »
I wished they played The Big Wheel live.  That song was made to be played live.

Sure was.
Heard a Rush cover band do it once back in the late '90s.  It was REALLY good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3156 on: April 05, 2018, 07:43:07 PM »
Since HYF, there has been a song I wished they played every tour. Ytse , let's see who figures out why.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3157 on: April 05, 2018, 07:45:27 PM »
Since HYF, there has been a song I wished they played every tour. Ytse , let's see who figures out why.

I know. It's because it blows!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3158 on: April 05, 2018, 07:49:52 PM »
Sit down Mr. Horshack.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3159 on: April 05, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »
Open Secrets.

Damn them for never playing that!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3160 on: April 05, 2018, 08:04:35 PM »
I guess I just have a special spot for Snakes and Arrows since it's the first Rush record I got, I feel like it's one of the most consistent albums they have put out.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3161 on: April 05, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »
I guess I just have a special spot for Snakes and Arrows since it's the first Rush record I got, I feel like it's one of the most consistent albums they have put out.

That probably is a contributing factor, but that doesn't mean it isn't deserving of how much you like it. :) After all, you obc liked it enough to explore the rest of their albums.  A lot of people think it has filler, but I'm with you - I think it's great from start to finish. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3162 on: April 05, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »

That probably is a contributing factor, but that doesn't mean it isn't deserving of how much you like it. :) After all, you obc liked it enough to explore the rest of their albums.  A lot of people think it has filler, but I'm with you - I think it's great from start to finish.
Oh yeah, it is a great album and is aging well with me. Contrary to popular opinion, The Good News First is an awesome song!  Especially when it goes into the part where the words say "some will say they never fear a thing, we'll I do".  Probably one of the best moments on the album and a great guitar solo afterwards..... Ending with "The most beautiful words I could ever say".  great stuff!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:08:23 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3163 on: April 05, 2018, 09:35:57 PM »
I wanna play the new ranking game!!

I’m going to do this without looking at my full ranking...but we’ve already established that most of these ranking can change day by day depending on mood...so don’t judge me.  :rollin

Caress of Steel
Rush
Fly By Night

Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
A Farewell to Kings

Power Windows
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire

Test For Echo
Presto
Counterparts
Roll the Bones

Clockwork Angels
Snakes and Arrows
Vapor Trails (remixed)
Vapor Trails

The first two tiers were extremely difficult, and I could probably change my mind on a lot of it.  But the next three tiers were really easy and I doubt they would ever change.  Which just kindof underscores the fact that they were pretty consistent out of the gate, but have been fairly hit and miss ever since.   But there is no such thing as a BAD Rush album.   (Except maybe Roll the Bones   :angel: )
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3164 on: April 05, 2018, 11:10:35 PM »
I'm surprised you have Clockwork Angels towards the bottom of your list.. And yes, I am judging you!  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3165 on: April 06, 2018, 02:33:18 AM »
Open Secrets.

Damn them for never playing that!

This!

Also, Lock and Key should have been a live staple on every tour post Hold Your Fire!

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3166 on: April 06, 2018, 03:31:49 AM »

For whatever reason, possibly the NME hit piece about them being fascists back in the day :-X, Rush simply weren't on my radar when I was just getting into rock/metal properly in my teens. It was only years later when I was into my 20s that I gave what was their latest release at the time a go on a whim (I had disposable income in those days!). As such I have a big soft spot for T4E that friends I now have who've been following Rush since the late 70s/early 80s simply don't share. So, I hear you...

...however :angel:... Snakes and Arrows isn't a bad record by most normal standards but by Rush's standards it just feels like there's an album's worth of consistently plodding-along filler on there. After Armour and Sword, which plods along itself but has a chorus I adore, there's nothing that particularly stands out until Malignant Narcissism.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3167 on: April 06, 2018, 08:12:12 AM »
Hemispheres
A Farewell To Kings
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
I rak
Signals
Hold Your Fire
Power Windows
Grace Under Pressure

Fly By Night
Caress Of Steel
Rush

Feedback
Snakes And Arrows
Clockwork Angels
Vapor Trails

Presto
Counterparts
Roll The Bones
Test For Echo

I ranked the albums within the eras - but that was just a cut and paste from my list, so I also ranked the eras against each other.   Not sure I agree with my original list after that analysis, but it is what it is.  By looking at this, I guess other than loving that '77-'81 era, I'm a heretic as well.  I don't think Permanent Waves is all that special, and I don't get the love for Clockwork Angels (though I agree, it's a very strong way to go out; no one can accuse Rush of phoning in their last couple records). 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3168 on: April 06, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »

Interesting point that was brought up, though - the band hadn't played any TFE songs on their last four tours, when they even performed a song from Presto (another often-neglected record). Maybe the songs just reminded them/Neil of a time that was just before their hiatus/his tragedies, or perhaps they just don't find the material that interesting to play? That would also explain why they hadn't played many songs from HYF/Presto/RTB, though I always said that newer songs would've worked well given the deepening of Geddy's voice.

Eh?  The five songs that were originally played on the Roll the Bones all got played by the band at some point in the 21st century, Presto was represented on two of the last three tours, and Hold Your Fire was represented on four of the last five tours, although I definitely wish they would have dug deeper in regards to Hold Your Fire.

Well, of the songs from Presto played on the last three tours, only one was "new" (the title track), which was a treat to have, but given that the initial Presto Tour had five tracks played live, it would've been nice to see more of those brought back in the 2000's/2010's. So for previously-played Presto songs, that's 1/5.

For Roll The Bones, you're right, there. I think because they had spread those five songs out over the last several tours just made it seem like the album was a bit under-represented.

And as for Hold Your Fire, of those six songs played on that initial tour, only half of them have been brought back, and they were all played in the 90's as well, so I agree with you, I wish they had dug deeper, bringing back one of the other three songs ("Turn The Page", "Prime Mover" and "Lock And Key") or playing a new one, pulling a "Presto" or "Losing It" or "Entre Nous".

Either way, my point is still that I wish the band had played more of the played/unplayed songs from the HYF-onward albums, giving them some official release as well. At least we got a lot of Power Windows songs over the last several tours!  :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3169 on: April 06, 2018, 11:14:45 AM »
I wish they had rotated Prime Mover in on the R40 tour. It would’ve worked well, plus the gap in the reverse-chronological setlist was too big from RtB to P/G.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3170 on: April 06, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »
I've been following this thread on and off for a while and I'm a fan of rush but I have question to you guys:

Why is Snakes and Arrows rated so low on some of these lists? I honestly, no joke, think it's rush's greatest album.

I've never understood all the love that Clockwork Angels gets.  To me, it falls into Rush's "nothing special" tier (along with Snakes and Arrows, Vapor Trails, the debut, Test for Echo, and Power Windows -- with S&A being at the top of that tier and CA being toward the bottom).  Like S&A, CA has a few good songs (Headlong Flight being the standout), but lots of filler.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3171 on: April 06, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
I wish they had rotated Open Secrets in on the R40 tour. It would’ve worked well, plus the gap in the reverse-chronological setlist was too big from RtB to P/G.
FTFM

Not to mention it would've been the perfect opportunity to include the original Fear Trilogy to end the first set (maybe tacking on just a wee bit of Freeze at the end).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3172 on: April 06, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »

I've never understood all the love that Clockwork Angels gets.  To me, it falls into Rush's "nothing special" tier (along with Snakes and Arrows, Vapor Trails, the debut, Test for Echo, and Power Windows -- with S&A being at the top of that tier and CA being toward the bottom).  Like S&A, CA has a few good songs (Headlong Flight being the standout), but lots of filler.

You my good sir are in the very small minority on CA.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3173 on: April 06, 2018, 05:25:37 PM »
I'd definitely rate CA in the top 1/2 of the discography.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3174 on: April 06, 2018, 05:27:36 PM »

You my good sir are in the very small minority on CA.

So I've noticed (at least among folks on these boards)!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3175 on: April 06, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »
It was the rawness, the exploration of the music again, a concept.  It drew many fans in.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3176 on: April 06, 2018, 05:30:02 PM »
I wish Clockwork Angels sounded less muddy, but I still love it from start to finish.  My top 7 will always be...

Power Windows
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Hemispheres
Counterparts
A Farewell to Kings

...but in the next tier, which has a lot of albums bunched together, Clockwork Angels probably sits at the top of that tier (Hold Your Fire, Roll the Bones, Signals, P/G, Fly by Night).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3177 on: April 06, 2018, 05:37:32 PM »
I rather like the heavy, almost sludginess of the guitars on Clockwork Angels. Helps that album stand out. It's pretty heavy in some ways.

I like that this is coming full circle to the Clockwork discussion from last fall; let's start talking about how completely freaking awesome The Garden is.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3178 on: April 06, 2018, 09:27:51 PM »
There could be no better way for Rush to end their studio career than The Garden.  It literally brings tears to my eyes.  Quite possibly Alex's best solo ever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3179 on: April 07, 2018, 07:36:59 AM »
Yep, that song was the perfect finale to their career. That is why I hope and pray they don't do anything else. Don't ruin that ending!!  We got 19 studio albums of original material, 41 years and countless tours.  I am good.  :coolio :hat

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3180 on: April 07, 2018, 08:26:46 AM »
Yep, that song was the perfect finale to their career. That is why I hope and pray they don't do anything else. Don't ruin that ending!!  We got 19 studio albums of original material, 41 years and countless tours.  I am good.  :coolio :hat

Alex has said that they are basically done. No tours and no new music from them..

I don't know if The Garden was supposed to be this kind of a bookend to their career, but it fits so well. Reading the lyrics suggests that this was always the plan, and Clockwork Angels was always supposed to be their final album. Lyrics of The Garden are simply too crafted, to be merely a coincidence.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3181 on: April 07, 2018, 08:33:23 AM »
I think Alex and Geddy especially didn't totally realize it at the time, but I would bet the house that, deep down, Neil knew it when he was writing it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3182 on: April 07, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
The Garden is a good way to end their legacy of greatness, but I would certainly welcome another Rush studio album if they got inspired. There's no such thing as too many Rush albums. Even if they didn't tour it, that would be ok..  :coolio

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3183 on: April 07, 2018, 03:36:08 PM »
Y'all must have a different version of the Garden than I do.  The one on my CD is only really good for insomnia.  Zzzz...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3184 on: April 07, 2018, 03:45:51 PM »
Again pg :lol

You know. Lol