Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497040 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2905 on: January 23, 2018, 07:43:00 AM »
"Lifeson and Lee confirmed that the band will never do a show unless all three musicians agree to take part. "It's not like you just get new members of a band and just go for it," said Lifeson. "RUSH has never been a band like that. We'd never, ever do something like that."

John Rutsey called - he wants his drum stool back...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2906 on: January 23, 2018, 07:59:30 AM »
Ghost Rider ??
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2907 on: January 23, 2018, 11:13:04 AM »
I always chuckle when people bring up John Rutsey as "proof" that Rush is in fact one of those bands that has no problem changing members and continuing, contrary to what they say.

Okay, that's not true.  Sometimes I just shake my head sadly.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2908 on: January 23, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
Although Rush already had an album at the time, the replacement of John Rutsey happenned in the really formative years of the band. The band only developed its true and strong identity with Neil in the band. This seems the thought of the band and almost the entire fan base, I believe. And this happened so long ago, so I guess it's okay the band and us to leave this out of the statistics.
Anyway I hope that Lee and Lifeson will work together in the near future. With Neil or not, I believe they will always have a great musical partnership!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2909 on: January 23, 2018, 12:28:20 PM »
Although Rush already had an album at the time, the replacement of John Rutsey happenned in the really formative years of the band. The band only developed its true and strong identity with Neil in the band. This seems the thought of the band and almost the entire fan base, I believe. And this happened so long ago, so I guess it's okay the band and us to leave this out of the statistics.

Agree.  It's a little interesting to imagine the alternate universe in which Rutsey stayed with the band.  My guess is they might have done one or two more albums and then disappeared and we'd have missed out on a LOT of good music.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2910 on: January 23, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
Somewhere in an alternate universe, it is the late 70s and some bookworm is nerding out to this awesome book called Cygnus X-1 by this new author called Peil Neart.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2911 on: January 23, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
Somewhere in an alternate universe, it is the late 70s and some bookworm is nerding out to this awesome book called Cygnus X-1 by this new author called Peil Neart.

It's pronounced Nert.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2912 on: January 23, 2018, 12:51:42 PM »

It's pronounced Nert.

:rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2913 on: January 23, 2018, 01:48:24 PM »
Actually "Neert".

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2914 on: January 23, 2018, 03:09:32 PM »

Anyway I hope that Lee and Lifeson will work together in the near future. With Neil or not, I believe they will always have a great musical partnership!
[/quote]

This, they still have alot of music left in them.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2915 on: January 23, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »
I do.  I mean, he does.   :)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2916 on: January 23, 2018, 03:30:06 PM »
I'd love to see Alex jump on a G3 tour.

I would go see that in a heartbeat
Especially if it was Satch, Lifeson, and Petrucci!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2917 on: January 23, 2018, 03:35:56 PM »

It's pronounced Nert.

:rollin

Actually "Neert".

But his stage name would be Nartt.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2918 on: January 23, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »
I do.  I mean, he does.   :)

It's going to your head already!

... can I get an autograph?

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2920 on: January 24, 2018, 04:15:46 AM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2921 on: January 30, 2018, 04:21:23 PM »
https://thehardtimes.net/music/neil-peart-treats-big-shiny-drum/

:lol

That was awesome..."He's like a crow".   :lol

I was more amused by the story about Geddy Lee crashing his giant owl into the CN Tower.

Onto real things.  I FINALLY got to watch Dan Rather's interview with Geddy.  What a fantastic job Dan did, and Geddy is so ingratiating -- to say nothing of being a good sport in having to cover some of the subjects for the umpteen dozenth time.  When it got to the end and Geddy was talking about all of the things he's doing to occupy his time, I felt sad but, at the same time, so very happy for a person I don't personally know.

I also saw a little article about Neil becoming one of very few people to visit all of California's Channel Islands, and one of the comments was some idiot whining about how Neil can go island hopping but can't be bothered to play the drums.  It just baffles me how some folks feel like Neil and Geddy (and musical artists in general) owe them something.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2922 on: January 30, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »
https://thehardtimes.net/music/neil-peart-treats-big-shiny-drum/

:lol

That was awesome..."He's like a crow".   :lol

I was more amused by the story about Geddy Lee crashing his giant owl into the CN Tower.

Onto real things.  I FINALLY got to watch Dan Rather's interview with Geddy.  What a fantastic job Dan did, and Geddy is so ingratiating -- to say nothing of being a good sport in having to cover some of the subjects for the umpteen dozenth time.  When it got to the end and Geddy was talking about all of the things he's doing to occupy his time, I felt sad but, at the same time, so very happy for a person I don't personally know.

I also saw a little article about Neil becoming one of very few people to visit all of California's Channel Islands, and one of the comments was some idiot whining about how Neil can go island hopping but can't be bothered to play the drums.  It just baffles me how some folks feel like Neil and Geddy (and musical artists in general) owe them something.

Seems to me like he's really enjoying life right now. I think it's great. 

Some people seem personally offended that the band is over and feel the need to blame Neil.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2923 on: January 30, 2018, 06:32:46 PM »

Some people seem personally offended that the band is over and feel the need to blame Neil.

Those people are the worst.   

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2924 on: January 30, 2018, 07:31:28 PM »
I don't know why these people can't see it as, "As much as we will miss them, we were really glad and blessed that a band like Rush came into our lives in the first place."

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: January 31, 2018, 07:31:26 AM »
I don't know why these people can't see it as, "As much as we will miss them, we were really glad and blessed that a band like Rush came into our lives in the first place."

Amen brother and given the amount of enjoyment Rush has brought us and given the amount of personal tragedy Neil has been through, I'm happy for him.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2926 on: January 31, 2018, 08:39:36 AM »
Neil has earned it.  He gave 40+ years of his life to the craft, and was widely recognized as one of the best if not the best.  If he wants to retire and ride his motorcycle and/or write books and/or just chill with his family for the rest of his life, that's fine with me.  Sure, I'd love to hear more from him and from Rush, but if it's not gonna happen, it's not gonna happen.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2927 on: January 31, 2018, 09:31:45 AM »
Neil has earned it.  He gave 40+ years of his life to the craft, and was widely recognized as one of the best if not the best.  If he wants to retire and ride his motorcycle and/or write books and/or just chill with his family for the rest of his life, that's fine with me.  Sure, I'd love to hear more from him and from Rush, but if it's not gonna happen, it's not gonna happen.

This, exactly.  Would I like more?  Of course.  Do they owe me/us more, and are we entitled to more?  Of course not.  These guys have given 2/3 of their lives entertaining us.  They're entitled to do whatever makes them happy, and I really am happy for them.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2928 on: January 31, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »
I totally agree with it and I think the bolded part above is the only and the real motive for Neil to not want to continue with Rush anymore. Although it has been said that he is having physical issues (and I believe they really exist at least, at some extent), I guess this is kind of Neil giving some "acceptable justifying" for the Rush fans for his retirement. From what I recall (and if I understood right, my english isn't very good ;)), if you saw the "Time Stand Still" docummentary, at some point, the guy who was the Neil's partner in his motocycle's rides, said that Neil, a lot of times, rode the motorcycle for 8 hours (or something like that) before a show at the evening of the same day. Well, if you are around your 60's and do that, probably you will have some pain in almost all your body during your perfomance on drums in a 2,5 hour show. :biggrin: I guess this happens even if you are at your 20's! :lol By the way, IMO that docummentary really shows that Neil already was a bit distant from the band, not from Alex or Ged in a personal level, but from what represents to be in a band or in the music industry.
Anyway, Neil or anyone has the right to enjoy life the best way he/she thinks so. Rush made great music and shows and divided this with us, making our lives much better, so we are quite even I think!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2929 on: January 31, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »

By the way, IMO that docummentary really shows that Neil already was a bit distant from the band, not from Alex or Ged in a personal level, but from what represents to be in a band or in the music industry.

Although he's always been like that, especially since he returned to touring with Rush in 2002. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2930 on: January 31, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »

Amen brother and given the amount of enjoyment Rush has brought us and given the amount of personal tragedy Neil has been through, I'm happy for him.

This, exactly.  Would I like more?  Of course.  Do they owe me/us more, and are we entitled to more?  Of course not.  These guys have given 2/3 of their lives entertaining us.  They're entitled to do whatever makes them happy, and I really am happy for them.

These posts perfectly sum up my feelings about this whole situation. Well said, fellas.  :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2931 on: February 01, 2018, 01:39:13 AM »

These posts perfectly sum up my feelings about this whole situation. Well said, fellas.  :tup
Ditto.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2932 on: February 09, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I found a video on youtube of a dude, flawlessly, covering the entire Permanent Waves album.

BY HIMSELF.

It's really insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD5Xo1Tkh4U
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2933 on: February 09, 2018, 09:41:27 PM »
Wow, that's amazing. His voice even sounds a lot like Geddy's. :lol  I wonder if his natural singing voice sounds that way, or is he intentionally imitating Geddy?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2934 on: February 09, 2018, 10:34:33 PM »
Damn!!   :omg:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2935 on: February 10, 2018, 01:12:56 AM »
Yikes!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2936 on: February 10, 2018, 04:46:00 AM »
Don't know if any of the screens are reversed, but it appears he plays guitar lefty but has the drums set up in a traditional right handed alignment.  Either way he nails the songs and even the guitar tones and drum tunings.  Extremely well done.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2937 on: February 10, 2018, 06:30:24 AM »
Mesmerizing!

:jawdrop:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2938 on: February 10, 2018, 07:25:01 AM »
Unreal. That is some talent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2939 on: February 10, 2018, 07:38:46 AM »
fantastic job