Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 495908 times)

Anguyen92 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline countoftuscany42

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #280 on: November 06, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
It seemed like they were filming when I was at the second Toronto Show. Also, the day between the 2 Toronto shows they had the ACC booked for filming but there was no show.
filming at a show could also be just for the video screens, i find it's hard to tell the difference

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #281 on: November 07, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »
MusicTAP had a blurb today about the upcoming 2112 Anniversary Edition to be available on December 18.

It will be available as a CD + DVD-A Deluxe Edition, a CD + Blu-ray Deluxe Edition, and a CD + Blu-ray Super Deluxe Edition.

This will look nice sitting next my Moving Pictures CD + Blu-ray from last year.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #282 on: November 08, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »
It's the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm just so glad to enjoy both sets. As awesome as the first set of the show was...and it was awesome, (The Newark performance of Where's my Thing was the best I've ever heard in my life! Brooklyn wasn't that far off either.) the second set was other worldly. 

Clockwork Angels is a desert island disc for me. Usually the current disc gets put away for a while after the tour comes through, but it never happened. I might have gone a two day stretch without listening to it since it came out.

I'm already saving for 2013.

I still haven't read the book, although I did peek at the artwork of my son's copy. I don't want the book to ruin the relationship I have with this album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #283 on: November 08, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »
Yeah, it has only been five months, but Clockwork Angels is holding up extremely well already; every single song is just so damn good! This might end up being my 8th favorite Rush studio album (behind the Big 5, Power Windows and Counterparts) once the new car smell wears off of it and I can accurately rank it.  Who woulda thunk it?!?! :)

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2012, 06:38:41 AM »
This was the first Rush show where i was actually looking forward to hearing the new songs. 

Also, the CA album sounds so much better live.  These days I go to a Youtube clip from the show when i want to hear a track from the album, rather than playing the studio track.  I really hope they release a live CD from this tour.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:48:15 AM by dbrooks22 »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
I agree, I was really looking forward to hearing the new songs live as well.  And this is the first tour that I am really hoping for a live CD.  They seem to release them all the time, so I can't see why they wouldnt for this tour.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: November 11, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
I'm the opposite.  :D

I just read the preview and thought it was forced and poorly written. The lyrics used in the text just feel so forced that it takes me out of the book.

If you need a sleeping pill, listen to NP's audiobook version. Love the guy and when he speaks, but man... Hope you enjoy it though

I'm about 2/3 through the book now.  I agree, there are parts that are definitely jarring when album lyrics are directly mentioned in the story.  And not just lyrics from Clockwork Angels.  There's been lyrics and song titles from Vapor Trails, Counterparts and other albums slipped into the text.  But the story itself I'm enjoying so far.  It kinda brings the album to life to an even greater degree for me.  I can picture the world and the characters even more vividly.  If anyone else has read it, I'm curious to hear your thoughts!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: November 11, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »
Who woulda thunk it?!?! :)
I think it was clear from the first listen, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #288 on: November 11, 2012, 11:10:21 PM »
That's not what I meant.  I meant, how often does a band do an album this good 38 years into their career?  How many bands' 19th studio album is this good? I am guessing the answer to both of those questions is "never." :tup :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #289 on: November 12, 2012, 05:38:40 AM »
how often does a band do an album this good 38 years into their career?  How many bands' 19th studio album is this good? I am guessing the answer to both of those questions is "never." :tup :tup

Pretty much.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #290 on: November 12, 2012, 06:43:03 AM »
That's not what I meant.  I meant, how often does a band do an album this good 38 years into their career?  How many bands' 19th studio album is this good? I am guessing the answer to both of those questions is "never." :tup :tup
Is this album that good, or has the last 25 years been that mediocre?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #291 on: November 12, 2012, 06:47:58 AM »
The last 20yrs have been pretty mediocre, imo.  You don't see any tracks from Cparts, T4E, or VT on either setlist, do you? 

Probably gonna ruffle some feathers...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #292 on: November 12, 2012, 06:52:30 AM »
The last 25 years have been both great and average for Rush. From Hold your fire onwards, Presto and Vapor trails are my favorites, although Clockwork angels is aging incredibly well for me as well. I'd say it's pretty much just as good as Counterparts, which is more than good enough for me. I agree it's amazing to see a band release such an impressive record in the fifth decade of their career.  :smiley:

As far as setlists are concerned, it's just impossible to include a song from each album when there's 19 of them. Power windows pretty much only saw one of its songs featured in concert in the last couple of tours, but this time around they're playing four of them. I don't think it has anything to do with the band not liking those albums...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: November 12, 2012, 06:59:35 AM »
I wasn't asking in a trolling way either. There is some stuff that I do like a lot like Counterparts and Presto.
I happen to think Clockwork Angels is a great album, and it's frustrating to know that they did have an album like this in them after all. It's the first time in 30 years that they reminded me of "classic Rush".
Some may point that out and say, well THAT is the point of the last 30 years, to NOT go backwards..
And that's fine, except there are certain qualities that I love in Rush, and they've pretty much been missing for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #294 on: November 12, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »
Is this album that good, or has the last 25 years been that mediocre?

The album is that good.

The last 20yrs have been pretty mediocre, imo.  You don't see any tracks from Cparts, T4E, or VT on either setlist, do you? 

Probably gonna ruffle some feathers...

Eh, Counterparts has been pretty well-represented over the years (as opposed to Test for Echo, which has gotten little play since the TFE tour, and VT, which quickly saw them down to one song from it two tours later and nada the last two); it just so happens that they didn't play anything from it this tour. 

They aren't playing anything from A Farewell to Kings or Hemispheres this year either. :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #295 on: November 12, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »

As far as setlists are concerned, it's just impossible to include a song from each album when there's 19 of them. Power windows pretty much only saw one of its songs featured in concert in the last couple of tours, but this time around they're playing four of them. I don't think it has anything to do with the band not liking those albums...

This is so true.  All three guys said about 5-6 years ago that they like Test for Echo a lot, yet on the last five tours, Driven (played on one tour) and Resist (played acoustically on two) are the only two songs from it played, so how much they play from an album is not always an indicator of how much the band likes it. 

Plus, some songs do not always come off well live, for whatever reason.  For example, Animate is a band favorite, but I don't think it is a great live song.  Not sure why, but they don't play it with the same energy and similar pace that the studio version has, and the live version suffers because of it.  That should have been a song that slayed live, to become a mainstay, but it didn't. 

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: November 12, 2012, 05:54:07 PM »
Did you guys hear the details of the 2112 deluxe reissue.  Cd/Blu ray/DVD.  The Cd has three bonus live tracks and it comes with either a digital comic book or the super deluxe edition has a 40 page comic book outlining the title track.  Sounds very cool.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #297 on: November 12, 2012, 06:44:29 PM »
Did you guys hear the details of the 2112 deluxe reissue.  Cd/Blu ray/DVD.  The Cd has three bonus live tracks and it comes with either a digital comic book or the super deluxe edition has a 40 page comic book outlining the title track.  Sounds very cool.

link?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #298 on: November 12, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »

This is so true.  All three guys said about 5-6 years ago that they like Test for Echo a lot, yet on the last five tours, Driven (played on one tour) and Resist (played acoustically on two) are the only two songs from it played, so how much they play from an album is not always an indicator of how much the band likes it. 

Plus, some songs do not always come off well live, for whatever reason.  For example, Animate is a band favorite, but I don't think it is a great live song.  Not sure why, but they don't play it with the same energy and similar pace that the studio version has, and the live version suffers because of it.  That should have been a song that slayed live, to become a mainstay, but it didn't.

Dunno boss.  Leaving out the 16yr span between RTB and SnA is a pretty big vote of "Meh." 

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #299 on: November 12, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »

link?

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/11/12/3390/Rush-releases-details-regarding-the-Super-Deluxe-reissue-of-2112

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #300 on: November 12, 2012, 06:51:18 PM »
link

link

Google "rush 2112 deluxe" for more

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #301 on: November 12, 2012, 06:52:06 PM »
Wow double-ninja'd

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #302 on: November 12, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »

Live tracks sounds cool, but a comic book? No, I don't think so. I would love it if there was a DVD of a concert from that time period. Other than that.. a cash grab!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #303 on: November 12, 2012, 07:22:13 PM »

Dunno boss.  Leaving out the 16yr span between RTB and SnA is a pretty big vote of "Meh."

Not really, when you consider that they only did three studio albums in that time span.

Is them playing only two songs from the 70s this tour a big vote of "meh" for those six albums?

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #304 on: November 13, 2012, 07:20:41 AM »
I think it's less significant to skip early songs because they were written so long ago and have been played to death.  In the early years, Rush would play a lot of those tracks because there were only a handful of albums to choose from.  To leave out 16yrs of your most recent work is not insignificant.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2012, 09:08:59 AM »
I'm going to the show in Las Vegas on the 23rd!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #306 on: November 13, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
I think it's less significant to skip early songs because they were written so long ago and have been played to death.  In the early years, Rush would play a lot of those tracks because there were only a handful of albums to choose from.  To leave out 16yrs of your most recent work is not insignificant.

Yes it is.  You are overthinking it.  Just look at how much play CP has gotten over the years:

CP tour: 6 songs
TFE tour: 4 songs
VT tour: 2 songs
R30 tour: 1 song
S&A tour: 0 songs
TM tour: 2 songs
CA tour: 0 songs

That is pretty good representation over the years, especially for a newer album.  Contrast that to TFE (which has gone 7-2-1-0-0-0) and VT (5-3-1-0-0), and it's easy to see that Counterparts is an album that like playing material from.  I mean, they loved S&A to death, but should we read into the fact that, even though the album is only five years old, they are already playing only one song from it, two tours later?  Of course not.  They only have so much time in a set list.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #307 on: November 13, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »

You keep jumping on the 16 years, but it's only three albums.  Rush probably do not think of it as "half their career" but rather three albums out of 19.  That's why it's not so significant.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #308 on: November 13, 2012, 09:53:23 AM »
Exactly.  Focusing on that arbitrary time period, as if it is some proof that the band doesn't like their newer stuff, seems odd to me, especially since they are playing three songs from Roll the Bones (from 1991), five songs from Power Windows (from 1985), and a song from the other albums in between.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #309 on: November 13, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »

Yes it is.  You are overthinking it.  Just look at how much play CP has gotten over the years:

CP tour: 6 songs
TFE tour: 4 songs
VT tour: 2 songs
R30 tour: 1 song
S&A tour: 0 songs
TM tour: 2 songs
CA tour: 0 songs

That is pretty good representation over the years, especially for a newer album.  Contrast that to TFE (which has gone 7-2-1-0-0-0) and VT (5-3-1-0-0), and it's easy to see that Counterparts is an album that like playing material from.  I mean, they loved S&A to death, but should we read into the fact that, even though the album is only five years old, they are already playing only one song from it, two tours later?  Of course not.  They only have so much time in a set list.

:lol  "You are overthinking it."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #310 on: November 13, 2012, 10:01:27 AM »
I am just pointing out the facts, sir. :tup :tup

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #311 on: November 13, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »
Exactly.  Focusing on that arbitrary time period, as if it is some proof that the band doesn't like their newer stuff, seems odd to me, especially since they are playing three songs from Roll the Bones (from 1991), five songs from Power Windows (from 1985), and a song from the other albums in between.

RTB is one of their all-time best, imo.  PW the same.  1993-2007 may be only 3 albums (4 if you include Feedback), but it represents a very long span of time.  Time aside, I think if they had strong feelings for those albums, they would be represented on this tour in some way or another.  They play what they want to play.  CP, T4E, and VT, imo, are the least good Rush albums.  So it's easy for me to view their lack of representation on this tour as the band sharing my opinion.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #312 on: November 13, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »
RTB is one of their all-time best, imo. 
I think you are likely in the minority on that one.  I know a number of people who think it is the worst album they've ever done.  Personally I like Dreamline, Bravdo, Ghost of Chance, Where's My Thing?, and the Big Wheel.  But the rest of that album is garbage IMO.  With the exception of The Big Wheel those other songs along with RTB has seen a decent amount of coverage through the years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #313 on: November 13, 2012, 10:25:27 AM »
You are allowed to think that, but I am also allowed to think that you are dead wrong. :biggrin:

I could easily have said back in '07, "If the band liked Power Windows so much, why aren't they playing any of it on the Snakes and Arrows tour?" 

It's simple: Rush has so many albums now that on some tours, some albums are bound to get skipped.  This isn't like the late 80s/early 90s when it seemed like they tried their best to play something from every album (except for the long-ignored Caress of Steel).

Test for Echo has basically been ignored for close to a decade, so lumping that in with Counterparts, which, again, has gotten good play in the live sets (just not this year), is an arbitrary way of looking at it.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #314 on: November 13, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »
The difference is that while they have skipped albums on previous tours, they have not skipped entire eras.  To skip over every song written between 1991 and 2007 is statistically significant, and i believe reflects their current feeling toward the songs written during that period.  A view i happen to agree with.