Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496947 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2695 on: November 17, 2017, 06:55:45 PM »
Kid Gloves is one of those stereotypically 80s-sounding songs to me, a 90s kid. I can just picture the kind of music video that would accompany it - but at the same time I really like it, and I think the chorus is catchy. I like the guitar solo, too. And, in a way, it reminds me of very early Toto, so hell yeah, I'm down with that. I think The Body Electric's chorus is a bit rougher, but only because of the lyrics..

Feedback is on my list, but I can't get enough of Vapor Trails so I didn't get to Snakes & Arrows today. I plan to hit the record store tomorrow to pick up the albums I will have heard this week (Counterparts through S&A, including Feedback). And yes, Vapor Trails rules, I have half the album on my favorites list after several spins.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2696 on: November 17, 2017, 09:53:18 PM »
Awesome! I'm glad you like Vapor Trails. Please listen to the original version of the title track especially, before it got remixed if you allready haven't. 
I love the whole album too!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2697 on: November 17, 2017, 10:05:18 PM »
Anagram rules.

Red Tide rules

Grace Under Pressure is usually one of my favorite Rush albums, and Afterimage is beautiful.

Test for Echo isn't usually one of my favorites, but I don't think it means they were going through the motions. It's a good album, they worked hard on it, and I'm happy to have it in my collection.

Vapor Trails rules. I prefer the original to the remix, but I don't know if Firewings will.  I like the original because it's the original. It's how they presented the songs to the world when they wrote the album. I'd been listening to it for over a decade and then it's rereleased with some significant changes - no thanks. I want the original. But a new fan who didn't have years with the original may well prefer the remix.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2698 on: November 17, 2017, 10:53:28 PM »
but I don't know if Firewings will

Who's Firewings? I don't remember seeing anyone by that name post in this thread.

;D
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #2699 on: November 19, 2017, 01:16:31 AM »
Good to see Vapor Trails actually getting some love, since it’s so often slagged (even aside from the extremely hot original mix). That album never left the changer for months after I got it. It also has a place in my heart for helping me deal with some issues I was having at the time, especially the lyrics to How It Is. One of my favorite albums of theirs that I sadly don’t play much recently.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: November 19, 2017, 06:20:17 AM »
I've been sick the last few days so I haven't really gotten anything accomplished unfortunately, I should have been finished with Clockwork Angels by last night but I'm still digesting Snakes and Arrows. On the first couple spins it hasn't hooked me the way Vapor Trails has but I think I like it more than Test For Echo. 3 instrumentals was a surprise, but they're all really good (The Main Monkey Business is a favorite of mine). Gonna put it back on and lay on the couch  :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2701 on: November 19, 2017, 06:38:40 AM »
Even though it sounds spectacular, I just cannot get into S&A in any way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2702 on: November 19, 2017, 08:15:30 AM »
I like S&A, but it would benefit from some serious trimming. To this day I don't understand how songs like Good News First and Bravest Face made the cut...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2703 on: November 19, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
Probably the same way Heresy and War Paint made the cut..

To me, I honestly felt that they were trying to cram music into Neil's lyrics on S&A.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2704 on: November 19, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »
but I don't know if Firewings will

Who's Firewings? I don't remember seeing anyone by that name post in this thread.

;D

He knows who he is... :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2705 on: November 19, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »
Even though it sounds spectacular, I just cannot get into S&A in any way.

It continued the approach of geddy sounding like he was warbling the lyrics as he read them for the first time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2706 on: November 19, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »
Snakes & Arrows falls under the "loved it when it came out, but it didn't age that well for me" category.

I still like Armor and Sword, MalNar, Workin' Them Angels and The Larger Bowl a lot, and Bravest Face is quite nice, but the rest all ranges from solid to okay. 

The production of it is kind of strange. While it sounds crystal clear, the overall sound is too dry.  In particular, Alex's rhythm guitar parts throughout most of the album just don't have enough bite.  The acoustic guitar parts on the album sound terrific, on the other hand.

Far Cry is still the song Rush fans overrate the most.  Pass.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2707 on: November 19, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »
  still the song Rush fans overrate the most.  The Pass.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2708 on: November 19, 2017, 09:10:19 AM »
I like S&A, but it would benefit from some serious trimming. To this day I don't understand how songs like Good News First and Bravest Face made the cut...
Good News First is one of my favorite tracks off S&A. I didn't like the vocal effect at first in the verses but it grew on me. I especially love the change in the song where it sais "some would say they never fear a thing, well I do". That's one of the coolest moments on the record!  Also the way the song ends with "the most beautiful words I could ever say".    Awesome!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:16:55 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: November 19, 2017, 09:56:34 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa, Far Cry rules though. That chorus is SOLID.  Every Rush album seems to have killer first tracks, that's no exception imo.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2710 on: November 19, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
Agreed, Far Cry rocks!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2711 on: November 19, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
Eh, that riff Alex plays after the intro (starts around 13 or 14 seconds) is the ugliest and most unimaginative, generic riff he ever conjured up.  Alex is both my favorite guitarist and favorite all-time musician, but that riff sucks and renders the song unlistenable for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2712 on: November 19, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »
A bit off topic, just wanted to ask if anyone likes Anagram (For Mongo) and Red Tide as much as I do? I was searching for old survivor posts and found both were ranked in lower half of Presto :eek

Like both of those actually.  Not sure how they'd have gone over live.  Never thought about that when the album was released.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2713 on: November 19, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
I really like GUP but it's intense, it makes me feel worn out after listening to it, but not in a bad way.

That's the idea.

According to Neil  there are these barrage of musical and lyrical ideas coming at you and while they may not be easily understood you are left with strong impressions.

It's one of the reasons I love this album. There are so many levels to it and it probably dosen't hurt that it was such a hassle to make.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2714 on: November 19, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
It's a good read, but Neil sure does love to ramble. :lol 

I am not a fan of the vocalists Alex used on the Victor record (except the gal on Start Today, who sounds a lot like Geddy at times), but At the End is a really cool song (featuring Alex on lead vocals, which is an overstatement, since the vocals in that song are like a whispered talk) and the instrumental Strip and Go Naked is pretty great.

I was never a fan of Edwin from I Mother Earth.  It's the only aspect of Victor I don't like.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2715 on: November 19, 2017, 11:41:59 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa, Far Cry rules though. That chorus is SOLID.  Every Rush album seems to have killer first tracks, that's no exception imo.

Lead track is always the "quintessential" Rush track according to Geddy.

The whole Snakes and Arrows album is pretty amazing from start to finish. Only problem with it is that Clockwork Angels was released after it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2716 on: November 19, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
Blasphemy alert: I'd listen to either Snakes and Arrows OR Vapor Trails just as easily as Clockwork Angels.  I don't think it's THAT much better than that which came before, until you get to Test For Echo. 

And I don't know how ANYONE can say that "The Garden" isn't the song that Rush fans over-rate the most.  For me, I don't even like it the most on the ALBUM. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2717 on: November 19, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
Here Again
Beneath, Between and Behind
In the End
The Fountain Of Lamneth
A Passage To Bangkok
Something For Nothing
A Farewell To Kings
Xanadu
Cygnus Book II

Circumstances
La Villa Strangiato (Favorite Rush song ever)
Jacob's Ladder
Entre Nous
Different Strings
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
The Camera Eye
Subdivisions

Analog Kid
The Weapon
New World Man
Losing It
Distant Early Warning
The Big Money
Manhattan Project
Marathon
Second Nature
Prime Mover

The Mission
The Pass
Warpaint
Presto
Superconductor
Available Light
Face Up
Where's My Thing (Gangster of Boats)
Animate
Cut To The Chase

Between The Sun and Moon
Double Agent
Ceiling Unlimited
The Stars Look Down
How It Is
Far Cry
Workin' Them Angels
Faithless
Main Monkey Bidniss
Caravan
Seven Cities of Gold

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2718 on: November 19, 2017, 02:01:29 PM »
I gave Snakes another spin and just moved on to Clockwork. Snakes is good, but Clockwork clicked with me on the first listen - Snakes did not.

Clockwork... wow, what a way to go out. Still chewing on it but several songs resonated with me right away: Caravan, BU2B, Headlong Flight, Carnies, and of course... The Garden. I think it's fighting for my favorite after the first spin. It's just a beautiful tune. Not sure if it'll be my favorite overall but there's not one bad thing about The Garden to me, I love the addition of the piano and the lyrics and music complement each other so beautifully, it's a lovely song and a fantastic finish to the journey through their catalogue. The whole album has this mystical air to it, a sense of 'prog' that I hadn't heard since... well, for a very long time (relative to their career). Yet it still sounds modern, but like they nailed exactly what they were going for. Not one song left me wanting more.

I own 8 of their albums, have 5 reserved at the record store, and everything else in shopping carts online... happy to call myself a huge fan of this band now, just a shame it took so many years to finally open up and give them some serious focus. Only a couple albums I don't see myself actually revisiting much (AFTK, TFE), and several I've fallen in love with (Hemispheres, CoS, both PWs, Signals, P/g, Counterparts, VT...)  And I'll listen to Feedback after I'm good and comfy with CA.

Thank for letting me babble on about my impressions on the albums :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2719 on: November 19, 2017, 02:13:46 PM »
  still the song Rush fans overrate the most.  The Pass.
:lol

Snakes and arrows used to be one of my least favorite Rush albums. But it grew on me in a very weird way - song by song. I used to only like Far cry, which I still think is fantastic. Then Spindrift klicked. Then Faithless. Then Good news first. Then Armor and sword. Then Bravest face. There are still some songs I'm not too crazy about, but these were enough to make the album rise on my list a bit.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2720 on: November 19, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
Kattelox,  it's been cool reading your reviews on your crash course with Rush. You added a lot of great content and discussions which has increased this thread by many pages. Great job!
 Glad you like Clockwork Angels. Fantastic album, my personal fav track being The Wreckers!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2721 on: November 19, 2017, 05:43:15 PM »
That title track on Clockwork Angels though....

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #2722 on: November 19, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »
Kattelox,  it's been cool reading your reviews on your crash course with Rush. You added a lot of great content and discussions which has increased this thread by many pages. Great job!
 Glad you like Clockwork Angels. Fantastic album, my personal fav track being The Wreckers!

I echo this sentiment. It’s been enjoyable reading someone’s first reactions to such a great catalogue with fresh ears. It also inspired me to go back and listen to several Rush albums I sadly hadn’t touched in years until now. Thanks for having us along on the journey, Kattelox!

As for Clockwork Angels, such a great album with only one track I’m not that fond of. Personal highlights are the title track, The Wreckers, and The Garden. The Anarchist is also good, and quite fun to play on guitar. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2723 on: November 19, 2017, 09:33:55 PM »

I echo this sentiment. It’s been enjoyable reading someone’s first reactions to such a great catalogue with fresh ears.

Ditto all of this (from both Snow Dog and Architeuthilis  :tup :tup

Kattlelox, feel free to keep the thoughts coming as you revisit the albums over the many months. :hat

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2724 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:18 PM »

I echo this sentiment. It’s been enjoyable reading someone’s first reactions to such a great catalogue with fresh ears.

Ditto all of this (from both Snow Dog and Architeuthilis  :tup :tup

Kattlelox, feel free to keep the thoughts coming as you revisit the albums over the many months. :hat

Indeed! I know you were sad about coming to the end, but I still say it's never the end with Rush. The point of a journey is not to arrive. :)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2725 on: November 20, 2017, 09:19:32 AM »
Anything can happen! 🎶

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2726 on: November 20, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »
Btw, if you haven't allready, they have a big "Live" archive to check out. They have documented some great concerts on dvd/blu-ray, all of which are well worth checking out.  :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2727 on: November 20, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »
Thanks everyone - the live stuff is next. I'm in the process of literally buying all the albums and then all the DVDs I can get my greedy hands on.  And I'll probably check out Feedback sometime this week. Some songs from Snakes are beginning to click (Workin' Them Angels won't get out of my head), and Clockwork gets better with each listen. :biggrin:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2728 on: November 20, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
Nice,  Working Them Angels was great live!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2729 on: November 21, 2017, 06:45:21 AM »
I watched Beyond The Lighted Stage on Netflix last night. What a great doc. Bunch of nerds. :)

I loved all the stories from back in the day and especially the one about Rush touring with KISS. I actually understand Neil Peart now (at least I think I do) and why he is how he is when it comes to interacting with fans. Really cool to see them having fun before shows all the way to the end, and how each album seemed to get at least a little mention. The information around Hemispheres and why they changed course was really fascinating to me. Hemi is my second favorite album of theirs but I can totally see why they'd want to have avoided going further down that road and took a hard left at Permanent Waves. And Geddy makes me want to play bass.