Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497177 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2660 on: November 16, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2661 on: November 16, 2017, 07:07:11 PM »
Isn't Virtuality the "net boys net girls" song? How bad is that??

I like that song.  That riff is great and one of the best things about the record.  :metal

Test for Echo sounded like a band who needed some time off (and got it for the worst reasons).

Never sounded like that to me. I hear song craft.

I didn't think that at the time, but in retrospect I do. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2662 on: November 16, 2017, 07:11:58 PM »
Isn't Virtuality the "net boys net girls" song? How bad is that??

It's not good, but that was relevant then. Kind of like laser discs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2663 on: November 16, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »
Pussies.  ;D

What would you know about them? Mr. I don't know what anal beads are? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2664 on: November 16, 2017, 07:14:57 PM »
I'm well versed in the front, but not so much in the rear. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2665 on: November 16, 2017, 07:19:30 PM »
So stick it out Tim.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2666 on: November 16, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
Come on, fellas, either cut to the chase or leave that thing alone.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2667 on: November 16, 2017, 07:32:45 PM »
Tim needs to get on a gangster of boats A.S.A.P.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2668 on: November 16, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »
This thread is losing it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2669 on: November 16, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »
 :lol

Don't mind me... I think one of my favorite things about Vapor Trails is that falsetto Geddy uses. As soon as I heard it in One Little Victory I knew I wanted to hear more of that and thankfully it's used a few times throughout the album.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2670 on: November 16, 2017, 07:35:47 PM »
One Little Victory is one of the biggest teases ever.  The intro is so good...and then the rest is pretty average.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2671 on: November 16, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »
I remember hearing a snippet of Armor and Sword thinking this is so different and I was hooked.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2672 on: November 16, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »
Oh are we talking about S&A now? Good. Now I can make my comparison of the main riff in The Main Monkey Business to A National Acrobat to crickets..

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2673 on: November 16, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »
Great call on My Favorite Headache! I love that album.

I second that recommendation.

If we're going to go there, might as well try Victor too. 

But don't expect a guitar slinger record just as Geddy's album isn't a bass record rather than a singer/songwriter album.

I debated on whether or not to bring up Victor. It's an odd record, much like Alex. I like it, but it is unique.

The spoken word title track, which is a pretty powerful story actually. The extremely quirky Shut Up Shuttin' Up with his wife and her friend chatting over the track.

Most of the vocal tracks are handled by the singer from I Mother Earth. Lisa Dal Bello handles one other track.

It's worth checking out.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: November 16, 2017, 08:17:05 PM »
It's so anti Rush that's worth checking out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2675 on: November 16, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »
Everything after Moving Pictures is anti Rush.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: November 16, 2017, 08:22:32 PM »
Everything after Moving Pictures is anti Rush.

You take your old man agenda to another thread. Bub.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2677 on: November 16, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
This thread is losing it.
I know,  half the world hates while the other half loves..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2678 on: November 16, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »
Vapor Trails is a cool album. I like a lot of the music here, but with 13 tracks, it'll take a few more spins. I may take another day with this one because I like it. I did listen to the remixed version on Spotify, but I don't put too much stock in the production just yet because I'm on my phone. But, without knowing the details of what Neil went through (I know the big points of what happened but not much else), I can say that the music on Vapor Trails sounds a lot more inspired than on Test For Echo and that's what matters to me. It has more energy, more passion. Test For Echo sounding like Rush going through the motions, Vapor Trails sounds like they still have more to give. Hard to pick favorites right now but I paid a lot of attention to Neil on this one and really liked his playing. Geddy's voice is really good too, he sounds more energetic than on TFE.
If you want to know the details of what Neil went through, I'd recommend reading his book called Ghost Rider. Very well written and a good read, it's a heavy subject about tragedy and overcoming..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2679 on: November 16, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »
It's a good read, but Neil sure does love to ramble. :lol 

I am not a fan of the vocalists Alex used on the Victor record (except the gal on Start Today, who sounds a lot like Geddy at times), but At the End is a really cool song (featuring Alex on lead vocals, which is an overstatement, since the vocals in that song are like a whispered talk) and the instrumental Strip and Go Naked is pretty great.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2680 on: November 16, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »
Yeah he does like to ramble, a lot of details about the landscapes etc, but he is very knowledgeable in many areas.  I like how he pays attention to the details..
 I've never heard Alex's Victor record, perhaps because Rush is so good I'm spoiled!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2681 on: November 17, 2017, 07:33:45 AM »
A bit off topic, just wanted to ask if anyone likes Anagram (For Mongo) and Red Tide as much as I do? I was searching for old survivor posts and found both were ranked in lower half of Presto :eek
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2682 on: November 17, 2017, 07:41:06 AM »
A bit off topic, just wanted to ask if anyone likes Anagram (For Mongo) and Red Tide as much as I do? I was searching for old survivor posts and found both were ranked in lower half of Presto :eek

Love Anagram. If you haven't listened to it while reading along with the lyrics you might not get all the word playing, but it is awesome.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2683 on: November 17, 2017, 08:09:33 AM »
I love Anagram, but there are no anagrams in the lyrics...am I being picky?

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: November 17, 2017, 08:26:43 AM »

Tha'ts why I said "word play" as it is mostly multiple words in each line from a main word.  But still fun to read along, kind of like those word search puzzles you did in school.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2685 on: November 17, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »
No one said there'd be math! 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2686 on: November 17, 2017, 09:23:03 AM »

Yes I really like Red Tide more but find Anagram's lyrics very clever. I really like Presto in general, it was my first New Rush album after getting into them shortly after Hold Your Fire was released already. I remember driving home and hearing the DJ say coming up next New Rush! Then Show Don't Tell came on. A moment I will never forget.

Anagram
Rush

There's a snake coming out of the darkness
Parade from paradise
End the need for Eden
Chase the dreams of merchandise
There is tic and toc in atomic
Leaders make a deal
The cosmic is largely comic
A con they couldn't conceal
There is no safe seat at the feast
Take your best stab at the beast
The night is turning thin
The saint is turning to sin
Raise the art to resistance
Danger dare to be grand
Pride reduced to humble pie
Diamonds down to sand
Take heart from earth and weather
The brightness of new birth
Take heart from the harvest
Shave the harvest from the earth
Reasoning is partly insane
Image just an eyeless game
The night is turning thin
The saint is turning to sin
Miracles will have their claimers
More will bow to Rome
He and she are in the house
But there's only me at home
Rose is a rose of splendor
Posed to respond in the end
Lonely things like nights
I find, end finer with a friend
I hear in the rate of her heart
A tear in the heat of the art
The night turns thin
The saint turns to sin

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2687 on: November 17, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
No one said there'd be math!

Your "math club" was addressed in another thread..... :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2688 on: November 17, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »

Anagram
Rush

need Eden
heart earth
Miracles claimers
More Rome
things nights

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2689 on: November 17, 2017, 11:32:59 AM »

Red Tide is one of the best songs on Presto.

On another subject, I want to go back to Grace Under Pressure.  I listened to it on the way home from work yesterday and tried to do so with the mindset of someone hearing it for the first time (as opposed to someone who first heard it as a teenager over 30 years ago and has heard it innumerable times since).

My overall impression was that the production overall was bad (relatively speaking).  First of all, the drums are just sort of there.  They just lie there and don't add a lot to most of the songs.  I don't know if that was an intentional choice or what.  Neil was still playing the same Tama drums that he used on Signals and similar to what he used on Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.  Even Neil's playing is mostly flaccid.  There are few notable moments.  The introduction of electronic drums changed things, but even the electronic drums are more in the forefront than the acoustic drums.  The tom-tom fills that crack through the mix are nowhere to be found.

Second, the guitar sound as a whole is terrible.  Its very treble-y and tinny sounding and hard on the ears.  I think that's partially a result of production and partially a result of the types of things Alex chose to play.  Lots of jangle-y chords and a LOT of pinch harmonics mixed in with overuse of whammy bar.  It actually reminded me of Zakk Wylde and his obnoxiously excessive (or excessively obnoxious) penchant for overusing pinch harmonics.  This was particularly evident on the songs where Geddy doesn't play the bass.  The high end guitar and keyboards are not balanced out by the bass pedals.  This is in sharp contrast to the prior few albums where there's something going on at all frequency levels and there's space for all of the instruments to breathe.

As for the individual songs:

Distant Early Warning:  This is the first sign that this is not your older brother's Rush.  Alex's ethereal guitars dominate, and Geddy's bass line is very straightforward, lacking in the syncopation that made his earlier playing so interesting.  The groove of the choruses and the first part of the middle breakdown are strong, but then Alex plays that descending, high-pitched, pinched line and the ears start to hurt again.  The song closes strong.  The thing I started to notice here is that Geddy's bass tone (with the Steinberger) is not as bad as a I remember.  In fact, I felt that way throughout the album.  I still think it's the worst bass he ever used live.

Afterimage:  Forget "Where's the Beef!"  WHERE'S THE BASS?!  I think someone wrote earlier in this thread that a song in which Geddy doesn't play bass is a waste of talent.  I agree.  The ear fatigue started in earnest with this song, and, while the lyrics are poignant, there's not much redeeming about this song.

Red Sector A:  I always hated this song, and it's worse than Afterimage.  More of the same, including a missed opportunity for a great tom fill before the "I clutch the wire fence" line.  There are some recent live versions of this song that are NOTICEABLY better because the guitar has balls and Neil uses more acoustic drums.

The Enemy Within:  NOW we've got something.  Alex's guitar is still too jangle-y, but this is a strong song, with a great bass line.  It's a bit reminiscent to Vital Signs but with a more driving rhythm.  Good ending to side 1.

The Body Electric:  What the F**K is this??!!  Unfortunately, I had a hard time giving this song a fair shake because I had the phenomenally silly music video playing in my mind.  But this song is just plain bad.  I started to wonder why Alex was utterly eschewing the guitar solo on this album.

Kid Gloves:  This is a bit of an odd duck.  With this song, we finally get some space for the three instruments to breathe, and it's a very guitar friendly song, but the guitar is still noticeably lacking in balls.  The 5/4 rhythm of the verses that resolves into a 4/4 version of the same riff is another good touch (somewhat reminiscent of what DT did 15 years later on Beyond This Life).  We get something vaguely resembling a guitar solo, but it's more of that jangle-y chordal stuff and painful pinch harmonic whammy bar stuff.  Overall, this is better than everything so far except for The Enemy Within.

Red Lenses:  What the F**K is this -- Take Two??!!  Did my iPod accidentally shuffle over to a "cool" jazz album (which I don't own any of)?  In all honesty, this isn't as horrible a song as I remember, but it's so drastically different from anything on any Rush album to this point that it was such a jarring shock to my ears.  If this song were re-worked a little, it would work real well in the upcoming sequel to The Incredibles.  Except for that middle section.  That's just all kinds of awful (although we finally have some decent playing from Neil).  I feel like I'm glad there's only one song to go.

Between the Wheels:  The heavy, blasting keyboard intro isn't strong, but there's an interesting feel to this one, and Geddy sounds a bit more like Geddy than he has up to this point.  This song could have taken a very bad turn with the chorus, but it thankfully really starts to kick ass with the pre-chorus and chorus.  Nice driving rhythm and a very strong vocal line.  And, as a bonus, we FINALLY get something of a normal guitar solo.  This is easily one of the two best songs on the album, and it would have been better if they had done something more with the ending.

To sum it all up, I hate you Peter Henderson.  At the time, I felt like the split with Terry Brown was not a good thing, and nothing has changed that view.  In hindsight, I really wished Rush had worked with Broon again, but alas....  Most noticeably lacking from this album were drums and guitars with balls.  Ranking the songs is fairly easy (although I think this is different from how I've ranked them in the past:

1a. Between the Wheels
1b. The Enemy Within
3. Kid Gloves
4. Distant Early Warning
5. Red Sector A
6. Afterimage
7. Red Lenses
8. The Body Electric
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:47:01 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: November 17, 2017, 11:34:33 AM »
"image" just an eyeless ("i" less) "game"

I like the wordplay of "snake" coming out of the dArKNESs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: November 17, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »
1a. Between the Wheels
1b. The Enemy Within
3. Kid Gloves
4. Distant Early Warning
5. Red Sector A
6. Afterimage
7. Red Lenses
8. The Body Electric

One thing that I don't talk about with Rush is that I'm a melody guy, and the best Rush as a firm thread of melody through the song, and - for ME - when they go off the rails with melody, it seems to be they go really off the walls.  For me, the list is:
1. Between the Wheels
2. Distant Early Warning
3. Red Sector A
3. The Body Electric
3. The Enemy Within
6. Afterimage
8. Red Lenses
8. Kid Gloves

The melodies of the last two don't do enough to save all the other things that pg, in my view, correctly pointed out. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2692 on: November 17, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
Obviously I have a much much different perspective given how and when I listened to these albums but man Grace Under Pressure just rocks from start to finish to me. Yeah, it doesn't sound AS good as their other albums but it still has a great vibe that I enjoy in its own way, and I enjoy it a lot more than several albums that came later (HYF through RTB). I wonder how I'd perceive if it I was born in the late 60s and heard it as a young adult though.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2693 on: November 17, 2017, 01:24:07 PM »
I really like GUP but it's intense, it makes me feel worn out after listening to it, but not in a bad way.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:34:40 PM by AngelBack »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2694 on: November 17, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
But for me, compare the chorus on Between Sun and Moon -
Ahh, yes to yes to ahh, ahh to yes
 Why the sun?
 Why the sun?

and the chorus to Kid Gloves.  It just doesn't flow. It's so angular to me, and jarring.   I also agree with you on TFE being them going through the motions, and Vapor Trails being them going through emotions.    "Ceiling Unlimited"! 

What did you think of Feedback?  Was that on your to do list?