Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497013 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2590 on: November 13, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »
There is way too much Power Windows on that list.
Yeah, but how DARE he leave out Emotion Detector!!!  :-\
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2591 on: November 13, 2017, 05:08:44 PM »
I forgot to mention this earlier, but I had come up with a unique way to present A Show Of Hands.

The CD and DVD releases are vastly different. The DVD is all from 4/23-24/1988 at the Birmingham NEC. The CD is a mixture of concerts from all over plus 2 songs from the Power Windows tour.

I always preferred the DVD especially due to the the last section from YYZ on down. None of that is on the CD. I used an audio ripper to get the stereo mix from the DVD and then supplemented the order with songs from the CD. What this left me with was a near complete show from the tour. Only Limelight, Lock and Key and Red Lenses are missing. Plus, I got the 2 Power Windows tour songs and alternate recordings of 4 of the other songs.

Everything down to Strangiato/In The Mood is from the Birmingham shows. 3 of the tracks came from the CD. I sequenced them in where they were in the actual set. Everything below that is CD material that is not from the Birmingham shows.

The Big Money (From DVD)
Subdivisions   
Marathon (From DVD)
Turn The Page (From DVD)
Prime Mover (From DVD)
Manhattan Project (From DVD)
Closer To The Heart (From DVD)
Red Sector A (From DVD)
Force Ten (From DVD)
Time Stand Still   
Distant Early Warning   
Mission (From DVD)
Territories (From DVD)
YYZ / The Rhythm Method (From DVD)
The Spirit Of Radio (From DVD)
Tom Sawyer (From DVD)
Overture / The Temples Of Syrinx (From DVD)
La Villa Strangiato / In The Mood (From DVD)

Mystic Rhythms (Bonus) (Meadowlands, NJ)
Witch Hunt (Bonus) (Meadowlands, NJ)
Turn The Page (Bonus) (New Orleans, LA)
Manhattan Project (Bonus) (Phoenix, AZ)
Mission (Bonus) (San Diego, CA)
Force Ten (Bonus) (Phoenix, AZ)

Something fun to do if you have some time.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:24:51 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2592 on: November 13, 2017, 05:23:16 PM »
I want to watch some live Rush concerts... are they all available on DVD these days?

You've got a number of options, all of which are available on DVD:

1. Exit Stage Left (Moving Pictures tour)*
2. Grace Under Pressure*
3. A Show of Hands (Hold Your Fire tour)*
4. Rush in Rio (Vapor Trails Tour)
5. R30
6. Snakes & Arrow Live
7. Time Machine 2011
8. Clockwork Angels Tour
9. R40 Live

* - These were originally released on VHS and laserdisc and were re-released in the mid-2000s as part of a set called Rush Replay X3.  I don't know if they're available as stand alone DVDs

I bought the ESL VHS tape sometime in the late 80s.  Had to special order it because it was really hard to find.  My best friend and I spent many a Friday/Saturday night blasting it and drinking beer.  It's still my favorite live Rush DVD.  Although it has some of the antiseptic tone of the ESL album and the lighting is fairly poor, the playing and sound is spectacular.  My only complaint is that it's not the full concert and the song order has been rearranged.  It would be awesome to have the full concert released, but I doubt that will ever happen (even if the footage survives).

The Grace Under Pressure video is ok.  It's also not a complete concert.  It's notable for what was, at the time, the complete Fear Trilogy.  Vital Signs is also very good.  Closer to the Heart is notably weaker than the version on the ESL video.  Mostly, it's a snapshot of what Rush had become in 1984, including (much to my personal consternation) the worst bass Geddy ever played (the awful, awful, awful Steinberger).  As with ESL, it is not a complete concert

A Show of Hands has better production than GUP, but the song selection is weaker (as should be expected 10 of the first 12 songs come from GUP, PW and HYF).  We get yet another version of Closer to the Heart and a slightly better version of The Spirit of Radio than appears on the GUP video.  There's also a medley that includes portions of La Villa Strangiato.  It is taken from three nights at the same venue but is, again, not a complete concert (again omitting Subdivisions and Limelight and, inexplicably, Time Stand Still).

The post-2000 videos tend to run together a bit.  All are fairly heavily produced (which probably means lots of overdubs).

Rush in Rio is the first complete official concert release.  It features the rather impressive performance of 40,000 incredibly enthusiastic Brazilian fans, most of whom I believe were seeing Rush for the first time.  The band's performances were very strong, apparently being fueled by the crowd.  YYZ is particularly notable for the crowd "singing" along to the song's melodies.  The extras and "easter eggs" on the second disc are a lot of fun.

With R30, we get another incomplete concert (this was supposedly done to reduce overlap with Rush in Rio).  The song selection is ok, but there are a number of very worthwhile "extras" on the second disc.  It also features what I believe is the only official live video of Between the Wheels.

Don't have time right now to discuss the most recent videos, but they all have their high points.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2593 on: November 13, 2017, 05:31:30 PM »
Wow, pg1067 wins the day. Thanks for taking the time to write that! That's really helpful. Whenever I hear 'not a full show' that's disappointing, but it's better than nothing. I took a picture of that list on my phone for future reference when I go concert shopping. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2594 on: November 13, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »
Exit, and Show Of Hands can all be gotten on Amazon for $10-$15 a piece. ReplayX3 and Grace appear to be out of print and going for too much money.

R30 got a complete show release when they put it out on Blu-ray.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2595 on: November 13, 2017, 05:36:07 PM »
Exit, and Show Of Hands can all be gotten on Amazon for $10-$15 a piece. ReplayX3 and Grace appear to be out of print and going for too much money.

Grace DVD is used on Amazon for just over $15 with shipping!  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2596 on: November 13, 2017, 05:40:25 PM »

Actually, I just remembered to check Rush Backstage Club and they have all 3 for $12 a piece. That's their official store.

https://www.rushbackstage.com/

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2597 on: November 13, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »
Top 50 lists...hmmm...

Working Man
Anthem
Beneath, Between & Behind
By-Tor
Fly By Night
In the End
Bastille Day
Lakeside Park (live version on ATWAS)
Necromancer
A Farewell to Kings
Xanadu
Cinderella Man
Cygnus X-1, Book 1: The Voyage
Cygnus X-1, Book 2: Hemispheres
Circumstances
The Trees
La Villa Strangiato
The Spirit of Radio
Freewill
Jacob's Ladder
Entre Nous
Natural Science
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Eye
Subdivisions
The Analog Kid
Digital Man
Losing It
Countdown
The Enemy Within
Between the Wheels
Manhattan Project
Marathon
Mission
The Pass
Red Tide
Available Light
Driven
Resist
Vapor Trail
Earthshine
Far Cry
Armor and Sword
Caravan
BU2B
Headlong Flight
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2598 on: November 13, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »

Actually, I just remembered to check Rush Backstage Club and they have all 3 for $12 a piece. That's their official store.

https://www.rushbackstage.com/

Yesss. Thank you!!  :hefdaddy

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2599 on: November 13, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »
I have always considered Bravado..The Pass Pt.2.

Its a nice transition on Rush in Rio.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2600 on: November 13, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »
Yeah, I transition from watching to taking a piss.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2601 on: November 13, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
I forgot to mention this earlier, but I had come up with a unique way to present A Show Of Hands.

The CD and DVD releases are vastly different. The DVD is all from 4/23-24/1988 at the Birmingham NEC. The CD is a mixture of concerts from all over plus 2 songs from the Power Windows tour.

I always preferred the DVD especially due to the the last section from YYZ on down. None of that is on the CD. I used an audio ripper to get the stereo mix from the DVD and then supplemented the order with songs from the CD. What this left me with was a near complete show from the tour. Only Limelight, Lock and Key and Red Lenses are missing. Plus, I got the 2 Power Windows tour songs and alternate recordings of 4 of the other songs.

Everything down to Strangiato/In The Mood is from the Birmingham shows. 3 of the tracks came from the CD. I sequenced them in where they were in the actual set. Everything below that is CD material that is not from the Birmingham shows.

The Big Money (From DVD)
Subdivisions   
Marathon (From DVD)
Turn The Page (From DVD)
Prime Mover (From DVD)
Manhattan Project (From DVD)
Closer To The Heart (From DVD)
Red Sector A (From DVD)
Force Ten (From DVD)
Time Stand Still   
Distant Early Warning   
Mission (From DVD)
Territories (From DVD)
YYZ / The Rhythm Method (From DVD)
The Spirit Of Radio (From DVD)
Tom Sawyer (From DVD)
Overture / The Temples Of Syrinx (From DVD)
La Villa Strangiato / In The Mood (From DVD)

Mystic Rhythms (Bonus) (Meadowlands, NJ)
Witch Hunt (Bonus) (Meadowlands, NJ)
Turn The Page (Bonus) (New Orleans, LA)
Manhattan Project (Bonus) (Phoenix, AZ)
Mission (Bonus) (San Diego, CA)
Force Ten (Bonus) (Phoenix, AZ)

Something fun to do if you have some time.

Even though I love the DVD, I still find it a little aggravating how they tweaked the sound of A Show of Hands when they transferred it from VHS to DVD.  It's clear that Alex wasn't, in retrospect, a fan of his sound at the time and added some distortion to certain parts and made some guitar parts a little lower in the mix.  The original sound of that concert on VHS was so awesome.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2602 on: November 13, 2017, 08:03:11 PM »
Not even going to attempt to come up with a top 50, or top anything.  I'm sure I would start to agonize over which songs wouldn't make the cut. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2603 on: November 13, 2017, 08:06:03 PM »
Just eliminated the dead weight like Time and Motion, Rivendell, Madrigal and I Think I'm Going Bald, and then go from there.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2604 on: November 13, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »
Just eliminated the dead weight like Time and Motion, Rivendell, Madrigal and I Think I'm Going Bald, and then go from there.

I'd work from what I love, not fuck that songs. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2605 on: November 13, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
I like Time and Motion. :)  No problem eliminating I Think I'm Going Bald though...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2606 on: November 13, 2017, 09:29:18 PM »
"I am Geddy Lee, I'll sing whatever lyrics I want".. Lol!  ;)
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2607 on: November 14, 2017, 07:37:18 AM »
Counterparts is my favorite Rush album since PW. What a rocker.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2608 on: November 14, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
Counterparts rules. But which PW? :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2609 on: November 14, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »
I sat there looking at that post for a good minute wondering, "What do you mean, which PW? PW!"... :lol Power Windows, of course. I think most of Power Windows, over time, is going to be in my top favorite Rush songs list in the long run. I *still* can't get Marathon, Territories, or Manhattan Project out of my head.

But Counterparts rules. Animate, Double Agent, Leave That Thing Alone, and Cold Fire are definitely my favorites from this one, these are killer songs with great melodies and lyrics - except Leave That Thing Alone obviously, which is just plain COOL. Love the spoken part of Double Agent, and Cold Fire is just a great song, I really enjoy that one. This album ranks really high for me in their discography so far.

I'm kind of sad I'm nearing the end of this journey, and I'm cautiously excited about Vapor Trails (the CD at the record store is apparently the original one with the production nobody seems to like, which I'll still buy, but Spotify's is remixed). I only have four albums left, and I'm debating whether or not to add Feedback to that list since I don't know a single song that they cover on that album.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2610 on: November 14, 2017, 09:16:50 AM »
Just giving my 2 cents on Vapor Trails. For me personally, the definitive version is Andy Van Dette's 2013 remaster of the album. The thing is, you can only get it on HD Tracks in 96/24. I'm not aware of any other release of that remaster.

I wasn't a big fan of Bottrill's remix. I have it, but when I listen to the album my go-to is the Van Dette remaster.

https://www.hdtracks.com/vapor-trails

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2611 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »
I sat there looking at that post for a good minute wondering, "What do you mean, which PW? PW!"... :lol Power Windows, of course. I think most of Power Windows, over time, is going to be in my top favorite Rush songs list in the long run. I *still* can't get Marathon, Territories, or Manhattan Project out of my head.
But don't forget that the other PW has Natural Science. :)  And Jacob's Ladder.  And Entre Nous...  you get the point. :)  Ranking Rush albums is just too hard I think.  How do you really compare some of these albums that are just so different?  My favorites tend to change over time but Marathon and Manhattan Project are definitely always up there.

But Counterparts rules. Animate, Double Agent, Leave That Thing Alone, and Cold Fire are definitely my favorites from this one, these are killer songs with great melodies and lyrics - except Leave That Thing Alone obviously, which is just plain COOL. Love the spoken part of Double Agent, and Cold Fire is just a great song, I really enjoy that one. This album ranks really high for me in their discography so far.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it so much. I love Counterparts and always wish they'd played more of it live over the years.  On the other hand, they played Leave That Thing Alone a lot, and I never got tired of it.

I'm kind of sad I'm nearing the end of this journey, and I'm cautiously excited about Vapor Trails (the CD at the record store is apparently the original one with the production nobody seems to like, which I'll still buy, but Spotify's is remixed). I only have four albums left, and I'm debating whether or not to add Feedback to that list since I don't know a single song that they cover on that album.

It's never the end of the journey!  :)  You still have some live albums and dvds.  After that - true that you won't have more new unheard albums to check out (unless they surprise us), but Rush albums have a lot of depth and you never know what you might notice for the first time when you revisit something, or what might hit you in a new way.  (Much like what happens with Dream Theater). 

Feedback - sure, add it to the list.  It wasn't really my cup of tea, and I didn't know most of the songs they covered either (I'd heard Summertime Blues somewhere but I believe that was it), and didn't really love either the originals or Rush's version of them, but it was an interesting listen.  Interesting to hear some of their early influences. 

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2612 on: November 14, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »

Vapor Trails is one of my least favorite Rush albums, along with Test For Echo (bottom of the barrel). Those 2 albums just don't have anything memorable for me.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on Clockwork Angels though, which is a top 5 Rush album for me!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2613 on: November 14, 2017, 10:10:52 AM »
I actually like the original mix of Vapor Trails more. The remix loses some of the overall feel of the album, especially the title track. Too much bathroom reverb added to the vocals, makes it sound too studio-ish.. I do like the added guitar solos though..
 Btw, don't forget about Test for Echo..good album!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2614 on: November 14, 2017, 10:15:14 AM »
I'm a bit annoyed actually, I want to (and absolutely will) be watching and listening to all the live stuff, but it's making me put other bands on hold until my thirst for Rush is quenched. I honestly didn't expect to like them so much, I thought I'd give up around Moving Pictures  :lol

I totally understand now why people have a hard time ranking the Rush albums. I keep going back to my favorites from all the albums I've heard, and if I had to pick a top 5 right now, it would be (in order): Power Windows, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Signals, and Moving Pictures. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) a lot of the 70s stuff would be at the bottom now - Farewell to Kings, the self-titled, 2112 and Fly By Night. I genuinely like Caress more than them!

EDIT: Vapor Trails I'll listen to the original first (even if I have to YouTube it), then the remix, then the HD tracks, if I enjoy the album enough.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2615 on: November 14, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »
Just giving my 2 cents on Vapor Trails. For me personally, the definitive version is Andy Van Dette's 2013 remaster of the album. The thing is, you can only get it on HD Tracks in 96/24. I'm not aware of any other release of that remaster.

I wasn't a big fan of Bottrill's remix. I have it, but when I listen to the album my go-to is the Van Dette remaster.

https://www.hdtracks.com/vapor-trails

I agree with this entire post 100%. The HDTracks version is the best for me as well. It cleans up the original mix a bit without cutting the balls off of it like VT Remixed did. I also didn’t care for the different arrangements and vocal melody/harmony mixes in some of the arrangements in the later remix either.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2616 on: November 14, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »
Wow I'm not the only one who doesn't care for the remix.  I know the original has issues, but I can ignore them and have gotten used to them.  If the remix simply made it sound better, I'd be all for it. But I want the songs how they were written/arranged for the album's release. Not someone else's interpretation years later. I also agree that the guitar loses something with the remix, and the vocals just don't sound quite right.

Maybe I should try HD tracks - I've never bought anything from them before.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2617 on: November 14, 2017, 11:04:33 AM »

To say Madrigal is crap would suggest that AFTK is not totally perfect. I cannot understand such a thing 😀

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2618 on: November 14, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »

To say Madrigal is crap would suggest that AFTK is not totally perfect. I cannot understand such a thing 😀

Kinda my approach as well. It's certainly not as robust or intricate as Xanadu or AFtK, but it's a perfectly lovely song that sits nicely in its place on the album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2619 on: November 14, 2017, 04:15:37 PM »
I had to hunt for it, but I finally found Andy's comments on his remaster of the original mix of Vapor Trails.

These are the original mixes, but with a much different treatment. For what it is worth........A typical album takes me about 8 hours to master. I spent 4 days on VT, trying to find a way to emphasize the positive, and downplay the negative, with a "car test" every morning on my way in to the studio. I knew this album in particular would receive tremendous scrutiny.  Being a musician, growing up on the other side of Niagara Falls from the band, Rush had a huge influence on me. I hope I have done their catalog justice.

Check it out. I hope you will agree that VT sounds much less 'overblown'. I tried to design it to be more open and dynamic.

I'm listening to it now and loving it. I did a quick compare of Freeze with the remix. Couldn't take it. Just don't like what Bottrill did. He removed the balls from album and monkey'd with it too much. I then forgot to change folders and the remix of Secret Touch came on and I was thinking that something didn't sound right. That's because I had the remix playing.

For those that enjoy the album and don't like the remix, I cannot recommend the HD Tracks remaster highly enough.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2620 on: November 14, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »

It most certainly does. Still a borderline top 5 Rush album for me.

And you picked 4 of my 5 favorites, Everyday Glory being the other, so well done. :tup :tup

I said it was dead weight, not crap. :P  It's not awful, it's just kind of there. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2621 on: November 15, 2017, 04:34:44 AM »
  "Cut To The Chase"  is the unsung hero of Counterparts.. Alex's solo again shreds, great song!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2622 on: November 15, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
I had to hunt for it, but I finally found Andy's comments on his remaster of the original mix of Vapor Trails.

These are the original mixes, but with a much different treatment. For what it is worth........A typical album takes me about 8 hours to master. I spent 4 days on VT, trying to find a way to emphasize the positive, and downplay the negative, with a "car test" every morning on my way in to the studio. I knew this album in particular would receive tremendous scrutiny.  Being a musician, growing up on the other side of Niagara Falls from the band, Rush had a huge influence on me. I hope I have done their catalog justice.

Check it out. I hope you will agree that VT sounds much less 'overblown'. I tried to design it to be more open and dynamic.

I'm listening to it now and loving it. I did a quick compare of Freeze with the remix. Couldn't take it. Just don't like what Bottrill did. He removed the balls from album and monkey'd with it too much. I then forgot to change folders and the remix of Secret Touch came on and I was thinking that something didn't sound right. That's because I had the remix playing.

For those that enjoy the album and don't like the remix, I cannot recommend the HD Tracks remaster highly enough.

Thanks for the heads up on this I don't believe I've ever heard this version of the album, didn't even know it existed until now. I've heard a little of the remix and agree it removed something from the original back when I first heard it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2623 on: November 15, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »
So I'm flying from Hartford to Toronto, via Detroyit, and I've gotten from Signals >> p/g >> Power Windows >> Hold Your Fire (through Tai Shan).   

Let's just say that I would have ranked them:
Signals
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
p/g

... and nothing has changed.   The drum sound on "Grace..." is worse than I remember when set against the albums around it.   For an example of what "Grace..." COULD have been, look no further than "Digital Man".  The songs on "Hold..." are better than I remember - Second Nature is just... ) but it doesn't sound as good as I remember.    It's not the keys; plenty of keyboard bands have "balls" to them - Genesis - but for some reason they sounded better before Signals and after Hold Your Fire.   

I'm going to finish the run through Counterparts on the next flight, and I'll scribble down my top 50 too.  I think it will offer some alternatives to some of the lists here. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2624 on: November 15, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »
Grace Under Pressure is my favorite of the four, but they're all good.  I couldn't tell you a thing about the drum sound on any of the four though - I guess I don't have an issue with it.