Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496890 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2415 on: November 03, 2017, 02:04:56 PM »
Honestly, considering Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres one song seems goofy to me, especially since a) they don't sound alike really at all (in style, plus the sound of AFTK is pretty different from Hemispheres), and b) they weren't written at the same time.

Thank you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2416 on: November 03, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
The music perfectly fits each part of the story, and to me, the “callback” during the soft part of Hemispheres ties the whole thing together beautifully!

I think that "callback" moment is a superficial tie-in at best, similar to DT reusing the Metropolis intro at the beginning of The Dance of Eternity/end of Home (as a way of calling something Metropolis Part 2).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2417 on: November 03, 2017, 09:34:23 PM »
A Farewell to Kings isn't connecting with me much. I like Xanadu and Cygnus is weird (in a good way), but Closer to the Heart is still annoying me from hearing it my whole life and the others I don't care for much. After a few listens it's probably my least favorite but maybe it's a grower? I'm more interested in hearing Hemispheres now so I'm going to check that out later today.

The studio version of Closer To The Heart is my least favorite version ever. Any live arrangement they've done since is preferable to the studio track. My favorite is still probably the Test For Echo Tour version (on Different Stages) where the ending jam is just off the charts good. I always wished they'd have done more of that stuff.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2418 on: November 03, 2017, 09:37:51 PM »
Whoa. WHOA. Can we talk about Hemispheres now?!

This album RULES. Blows A Farewell to Kings right out the water and is easily my favorite Rush album so far, more than Moving Pictures even because it's just a solid 4 songs with nothing more, they captured magic on this one. Hemispheres (the song) destroys 2112 (the song) and The Trees and La Villa Strangiato had me grinning ear to ear with how cool they were. Circumstances is probably the weak link of the four but it's still really strong and man I just love that title track. I wasn't expecting too much after Cygnus Book 1 but they took that concept and ran with it. Jaw, meet floor.

Been looking into a box set of as many Rush albums as I can get but I only see collections from 1989-2007, and there are only 2 Sectors box sets available on Rush's website (2 and 3, can't seem to find 1 for some reason, and 3 only seems to go through the 80s). I was hoping there'd be something out there with everything from the debut to at least Snakes and Arrows since they even have skateboard decks and all sorts of other crazy stuff on their website. But I suppose I can just buy everything individually...

Get them individually and you will have the lyrics with the albums. The 3 Sectors combine the lyrics in one booklet per box and the I don't think the fourth has the lyrics at all (Haven't opened mine yet.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2419 on: November 03, 2017, 09:41:01 PM »
The title track is very quickly becoming one of my favorite super long epics ever. La Villa just flies by, in a good way.

I just came back from a friend's house and asked him if I could borrow some Rush, and without mentioning what I've heard or own, he comes out of the back room and lays Hemispheres and Permanent Waves down next to me.  I'll be blasting both on the way to DT this Saturday :biggrin:  :metal

You doing the live albums?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2420 on: November 03, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »
Hemispheres is an incredible album. So glad you're enjoying it this much.

La Villa is definitely my favorite instrumental. One of those songs that just doesn't feel as long as it is.
Agreed. My favorite version of La Villa is on the live album Exit Stage Left, Alex's solo in the middle section absolutely rips and slays the studio version! :metal

I think so too. Xanadu sounds great on that also.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2421 on: November 03, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »
The music perfectly fits each part of the story, and to me, the “callback” during the soft part of Hemispheres ties the whole thing together beautifully!

That was retrofitted to link the two. In 1977, there was no plan for a part II. It was an afterthought.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2422 on: November 04, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »
Hemispheres is an incredible album. So glad you're enjoying it this much.

La Villa is definitely my favorite instrumental. One of those songs that just doesn't feel as long as it is.
Agreed. My favorite version of La Villa is on the live album Exit Stage Left, Alex's solo in the middle section absolutely rips and slays the studio version! :metal

I think so too. Xanadu sounds great on that also.
Yes indeed! The transition from The Trees to Xanadu on ESL is just beautifully done, one of my favorite pieces of music ever.
Also Passage To Bangkok from ESL absolutely destroys the studio version. Alex's solo again rocks, and the drums are more powerful..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2423 on: November 04, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
The title track is very quickly becoming one of my favorite super long epics ever. La Villa just flies by, in a good way.

I just came back from a friend's house and asked him if I could borrow some Rush, and without mentioning what I've heard or own, he comes out of the back room and lays Hemispheres and Permanent Waves down next to me.  I'll be blasting both on the way to DT this Saturday :biggrin:  :metal

You doing the live albums?

I thought about it but nah, not right now. I got to Signals yesterday and it's stuck on my brain, this run from Hemispheres to Signals is insanely good. I love keyboards so this 80s sound is great. So 80s, in the best possible way. I like Signals way more than Moving Pictures.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2424 on: November 04, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
Signals is quite a departure from Moving Pictures but in a good way. Analog Kid being my favorite on the album. Countdown is a fun song about the space shuttle launch! New World Man is the weak link on that album for me, yet it still gets a lot of radio airplay to this day.. Shrugs !
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2425 on: November 04, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »
The Weapon was an instant favorite of mine. I adore that beat, the synths, the solos, man is that a good tune.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2426 on: November 04, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »
Oh yeah, great song. The Weapon almost has a Floydish feel to it.  Also,  "Losing It" is an amazing sympathetic song with deep lyrics.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2427 on: November 04, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »
I can't wait for you to listen to Power Windows.  My favorite album of all time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2428 on: November 04, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
"Look at that guy dancing, he's scary!!"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2429 on: November 04, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »
"Look at that guy dancing, he's scary!!"

You cant watch without your 3D glasses on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2430 on: November 04, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
Alex rolling around on the stage during that intro (The Weapon on Grace Under Pressure Live, for those unaware) and kicking his feet (which you see for like two seconds in the wide stage shot) is one of my favorite Rush live DVD moments ever.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2431 on: November 04, 2017, 05:15:13 PM »
I can't wait for you to listen to Power Windows.  My favorite album of all time.

You've only heard one album in your entire life?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2432 on: November 04, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »

You've only heard one album in your entire life?

Man you suck at ribbing people. ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2433 on: November 04, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »
Damn, that Power Window Bat Signal really works. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2434 on: November 04, 2017, 05:44:53 PM »
 :lol

Shit I'm blasting it tomorrow!!!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2435 on: November 05, 2017, 01:15:35 AM »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2436 on: November 05, 2017, 07:27:13 AM »
Ouch.  Chopping it up to insert some of the vocal parts into the Prelude was a very bad idea. And when the first vocal comes in, that sounds completely unnatural as the first line of the song,  Delete that immediately and try again. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2437 on: November 05, 2017, 08:26:58 AM »
Or just leave it alone. The song is fine as is.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2438 on: November 05, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
Signals is quite a departure from Moving Pictures but in a good way. Analog Kid being my favorite on the album. Countdown is a fun song about the space shuttle launch! New World Man is the weak link on that album for me, yet it still gets a lot of radio airplay to this day.. Shrugs !

Agreed on all points.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2439 on: November 05, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »
Signals was the first Rush studio album I bought as a new fan. I was so disappointed.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2440 on: November 05, 2017, 08:41:53 AM »
I think Signals is honestly my second favorite at the moment behind Hemispheres.  :biggrin:

Gonna put on Grace Under Pressure later today.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2441 on: November 05, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
Signals was the first Rush studio album I bought as a new fan. I was so disappointed.

I can see that.  Even though I like Signals a lot, the sound is oft-putting.  Neither the keys nor the guitars are as high in the mix as they should be, resulting in a weird overall mix.  Fortunately, the majority of the songs are great, but when you compare the sound of this record to the albums that came immediately before and after, its issues are glaring.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2442 on: November 05, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »

I can see that.  Even though I like Signals a lot, the sound is oft-putting.  Neither the keys nor the guitars are as high in the mix as they should be, resulting in a weird overall mix.  Fortunately, the majority of the songs are great, but when you compare the sound of this record to the albums that came immediately before and after, its issues are glaring.

It's aged pretty well, though.

I discovered them through Moving Pictures. I was in the 7th grade, and ESL came out while I was in the 8th. But in that time, I had accumulated everything they did (on 8 track!) and they were probably my favorite band at that point. I was so let down. My metal leanings would take over, and I basically ignored Rush for the next few years.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2443 on: November 05, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
I can see why many may have been put off with Signals when it came out. All the albums before that leading up to that point were heavier guitar and bass driven with a hard rock edge. When Signals came out all of sudden keyboards kind of took over and that trend lasted throughout the eighties. Alex himself was not liking that direction. On the Rush movie (Beyond The Lighted Stage) Alex expressed his frustration of the guitars getting put aside, and taking a back seat to keyboards being in a trio. Geddy was the one more bent on keyboards which Alex wasn't too happy about, and I don't blame him one bit..

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2444 on: November 05, 2017, 05:42:19 PM »
I'm in pretty much the same boat.  Moving Pictures is still my fave from them, and I had everything up through MP, including both live albums.  Signals was okay, but it didn't thrill.  We can see it now as a transitional album.  Geddy was still learning how to work with keyboards in the studio, really work with them, and it's a bit awkward.  I've come to appreciate the keyboard 80's phase more lately, but it's still probably my least favorite Rush period.  The keyboards on the next three albums got better, as they got more comfortable with the sound and learned how to work it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2445 on: November 05, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »
Right. But I was listening to Rush allatonce. If I was old enough to pay attention, you could clearly see the trend from PW-MP-Signals.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2446 on: November 05, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »
Kids these days.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2447 on: November 05, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »
I did this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuebwfWPebM

This is like if there was a 3 minute version of Stairway to Heaven. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2448 on: November 05, 2017, 11:20:53 PM »
I did this

This is like if there was a 3 minute version of Stairway to Heaven.

I mean, if I thought Stairway to Heaven dragged on its length with too much repetition, yeah, I'd probably make a short version of it too. But I don't, so I didn't. What's your argument?

Ouch.  Chopping it up to insert some of the vocal parts into the Prelude was a very bad idea. And when the first vocal comes in, that sounds completely unnatural as the first line of the song,  Delete that immediately and try again. :lol :lol :lol :lol

How so? That part of the prelude is where the verse riff starts & I'm pretty sure it even goes into the acoustic section after that too. I guess if you meant that it was a weird spot for the intro to end, I guess I could see that argument, but I disagree. In my opinion, the prelude is already kind of fragmented there with how sudden of a change it is (even in the original version imo), so I don't think it comes off unnaturally or anything. Though of course, that's just my opinion.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: November 06, 2017, 06:41:31 AM »
I did this

I know it's irrational and stupid, but I got 2 minutes into this and I was starting to get angry as hell.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens