Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496763 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2345 on: October 27, 2017, 05:22:25 PM »
The Fountain of Lamneth isn't cohesive at all, but some of those sections are tremendous.  Alex's solo in the No One at the Bridge section is just heaven. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2346 on: October 27, 2017, 06:21:38 PM »
Absolutely!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2347 on: October 27, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
Been a long time since I listened to that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2348 on: October 28, 2017, 12:24:33 AM »
I never thought 2112 was particularly "cohesive"....just seeing people saying FoL is incohesive as if 2112 was somehow moreso is weird to me.

2112 *IS* better.   But I wouldn't say either one was more "cohesive" than the other.   Their most "cohesive" epic IMO is Hemispheres.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2349 on: October 28, 2017, 12:27:50 AM »
I never thought 2112 was particularly "cohesive"....just seeing people saying FoL is incohesive as if 2112 was somehow moreso is weird to me.

2112 *IS* better.   But I wouldn't say either one was more "cohesive" than the other.   Their most "cohesive" epic IMO is Hemispheres.

2112 has transitions between Overture/Temples, Discovery/Presentation & Soliloquy/Finale (debatable), the rest isn't cohesive though.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2350 on: October 28, 2017, 03:03:10 AM »
Xanadu is the best pre- Permanent Waves epic IMO. The arrangements are great, and most importantly it's not too long.

2112 has some jarring parts, but as a whole it's great. The Hemispheres epic starts to feel like torture halfway through.

Best Rush epic to me, is easily Natural Science. Followed by Xanadu and Camera Eye. But Rush were never that great with longer songs IMO. They were much better at writing shorter songs, especially later on.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2351 on: October 28, 2017, 12:31:49 PM »
That was a spectacular sit-down between Ged and Dan. Highly recommend that any fan seek that out and watch it.

I have to admit that, as a Chicagoan, I geeked out when Ged specifically attributed his love of baseball to watching my Cubbies on WGN while traveling the US.

Little hints of, maybe, an album and tour at some point down the road. He made it pretty clear that it would not be Rush. Says he is constantly writing and laying down riffs and ideas.

Interview was OK. Nice to see Ged enjoying life. Wish I could see the raw unedited footage. No surprises for me other than to see Ged get a bit defensive at the end.  That usually doesn't happen.

It's great people are liking the interview.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2352 on: October 28, 2017, 12:38:09 PM »
Much like Fates Warning though I've been wanting to listen to Rush from the beginning for a long time but finally bit the bullet and started tonight with their debut. I'm looking forward to finally hearing their vast catalogue. There are many, many bands like this (classic, famous, lots of albums) that I need to do this with and I'm glad to start with Rush... maybe I'll become a big fan by the end of this. Either way it's a fun experiment. The debut was fun, I listened to it twice, but it was so long ago that I doubt it's very representative of what Rush actually is. Should get interesting a few albums from now.

That's always my suggestion about listening to Rush. Start at the beginning and get the context of how they evolved. It's a very unique experience.

Last time I did this (with live albums) was just before Vapor Trails came out more than 15 years ago. Maybe I'll try it again Thanksgiving weekend because I'd need huge blocks of time for it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2353 on: October 28, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »
I love In The End. Especially the ATWAS version. It's actually one of my all time favorite Rush songs.

Mine too. Fave off of Fly By Night actually.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2354 on: October 28, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »

I'd go with Natural Science myself.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2355 on: October 28, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »
They were much better at writing shorter songs, especially later on.

That's something they NEVER get enough credit for. They get credit for many things, but its almost never that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2356 on: October 28, 2017, 01:14:09 PM »
Absolutely.  Heck, most of their best songs are shorter songs.  For as much as people call them prog, consider that, in 40 years, they only wrote 10 songs that were 8 minutes or longer (all of them from 1975-1981).

As for the 2112 and its cohesiveness, I will explain it the way I did before: just because there are stops and starts does not mean it is not cohesiveness.  It's almost like you are watching one of those things where a window closes, the camera pans over, and the next window opens.  That is what those stops and starts feel like.  Think of it, too, like Tarantino's movies, where the films are usually separated by chapters.  Each part of 2112 is a different chapter.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2357 on: October 28, 2017, 02:07:20 PM »
Who said 2112 was not cohesive? That's crazy talk. Are they talking about the whole album, or the song?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2358 on: October 28, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »
I've always liked the "flow" of 2112.  No, the parts don't flow seamlessly into each other or anything, but they feel like chapters in a story.  There's a pause as you turn the page, and the next "scene" is in a different setting.

Finally saw the Dan Rather interview.  Pretty good, and even a few things I didn't know.  For one, it never even occurred to me that "Geddy" is just "Gary" with a thick Yiddish accent.  As soon as he started explaining it, and imitating his mother's voice, I could see (and hear) it coming.

I'm glad he's enjoying "retirement".  Rock stars used to retire.  Bands used to break up at a certain point, and they'd move on to normal jobs, or if they're lucky, live the rest of their lives off of their savings/investments.  Now the expectation seems to be to keep going until you drop dead.  People have this fantasy that rock stars' lives are 100% excitement and amazement, and no one in their right mind would give that up.  But they have families and kids and other people and things they'd like to see, and being on the road most of the time does not really work with that.  He got a big smile when he said that he'd actually lived at home, in his house, and hadn't gotten on a plane for six months, for the first time ever.  He got to watch his garden grow, he got to spend time with his wife and kids.  That's what's important.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2359 on: October 28, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »
Oh man... Geddy lives so close to me... I keep getting off at the station in his suburb in the hope that I'll bump into him, even though I know it will never happen.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2360 on: October 28, 2017, 08:13:47 PM »
Does anybody know where I can find the complete interview?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2361 on: October 28, 2017, 08:16:53 PM »
Xanadu is the best pre- Permanent Waves epic IMO. The arrangements are great, and most importantly it's not too long.

2112 has some jarring parts, but as a whole it's great. The Hemispheres epic starts to feel like torture halfway through.

Best Rush epic to me, is easily Natural Science. Followed by Xanadu and Camera Eye. But Rush were never that great with longer songs IMO. They were much better at writing shorter songs, especially later on.

*THIS* is just *CRAZY* talk!!  Until I discovered Supper's Ready, I considered Cygnus X-1 (Books 1 and 2 together as one 28 minute piece) to be the single greatest song ever recorded by anyone ever.   It's still my #2 behind Supper's Ready.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2362 on: October 28, 2017, 09:13:25 PM »
What's Suppers Ready? (I know what it is).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2363 on: October 28, 2017, 09:54:21 PM »
What's Suppers Ready? (I know what it is).
OH YOU!!   :rollin

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2364 on: October 28, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
Rush is the master of prog short songs. Yes is the master of prog long songs.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2365 on: October 29, 2017, 02:26:27 AM »

Can't argue with this.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2366 on: October 29, 2017, 04:17:46 AM »
Me too. It's absolutely true.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2367 on: October 29, 2017, 07:59:10 AM »
Yes and Genesis are the two big prog bands I don't think I'll ever enjoy, sadly. I'd like to at least check out a few of Yes's longer songs but I just can't get into either of them because of the singer and the music just grates on me. At least with Rush I've always been able to find the cool parts to appreciate.

I'm not sure if I could call myself a Rush fan just yet but I've been having a blast listening to their albums. A few years ago I wouldn't have been able to appreciate them but now I'm just happy to enjoy good music and that's what I'm getting. I'm going to take today to play 2112 some more since I didn't give it enough time yesterday, and it looks like Farewell to Kings is next so I can spin that in my car for a while, just like I've been doing with Moving Pictures (a DAMN good album by the way, I'm honestly embarrassed this thing's just been collecting dust on my shelves for many years - it's a remaster though).

I like Rush's longer songs so far. I would actually put Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth over 2112 currently - 2112 is neat but the only parts I love are Temples of Syrinx and the guitar part between Discovery and Presentation. I'm playing the songs that aren't the title tracks today because I'm starting to agree with people who say their strength is in the shorter songs, which is not what I've thought Rush was about my whole life :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2368 on: October 29, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »

I would say Neal Morse is the master of the prog long songs, to be honest.  I know many are always give extra credit to the originators of the genre, but Neal Morse really has perfected the long prog rock epic.

Yes and Genesis are the two big prog bands I don't think I'll ever enjoy, sadly. I'd like to at least check out a few of Yes's longer songs but I just can't get into either of them because of the singer and the music just grates on me. At least with Rush I've always been able to find the cool parts to appreciate.

I'm not sure if I could call myself a Rush fan just yet but I've been having a blast listening to their albums. A few years ago I wouldn't have been able to appreciate them but now I'm just happy to enjoy good music and that's what I'm getting. I'm going to take today to play 2112 some more since I didn't give it enough time yesterday, and it looks like Farewell to Kings is next so I can spin that in my car for a while, just like I've been doing with Moving Pictures (a DAMN good album by the way, I'm honestly embarrassed this thing's just been collecting dust on my shelves for many years - it's a remaster though).

I like Rush's longer songs so far. I would actually put Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth over 2112 currently - 2112 is neat but the only parts I love are Temples of Syrinx and the guitar part between Discovery and Presentation. I'm playing the songs that aren't the title tracks today because I'm starting to agree with people who say their strength is in the shorter songs, which is not what I've thought Rush was about my whole life :)

2112 is their best song, IMO, but Side 2 of the 2112 record is definitely very strong, too, with The Twilight Zone and Tears being my favorites.  Rush was always at writing great short songs.  :tup :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: October 29, 2017, 08:17:07 AM »
Dude, yes! I love Tears, I think it's my favorite on 2112. The sound of those strings in the background really gets to me and it's such a lovely song. Instant favorite.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2370 on: October 29, 2017, 08:20:23 AM »
FYI, those "strings" you hear make Tears one of the few occasions where Rush used the melltron.  :coolio :hat

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: October 29, 2017, 08:21:10 AM »
They should use it more. It's beautiful :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2372 on: October 29, 2017, 08:23:50 AM »
Man, if you want some beautiful mellotron, listen to the first six Moody Blues records (which are not like Rush at all; very laid back early prog, not hard rock at all).  :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2373 on: October 29, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
I love 2112. The whole album.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2374 on: October 29, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »
I agree with all those who say that Rush writes excellent short songs. They absolutely do, and they've had 40 years of practice.

However, I also think their long songs are amazing, and would have been up for more had they been so inclined. I love all of their long songs. And agree with jammin that Hemispheres, the track, all of it, is great.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2375 on: October 29, 2017, 09:15:50 PM »
Geddy said in the interview that Clockwork Angels is the album they are most proud of, the type of album they always wanted to do. I happen to agree.  Of course there is something special about all of their albums.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: October 30, 2017, 07:35:37 AM »
Put Moody Blues on my to-listen list, because I can never have too much backlog  :biggrin:

I spent 2 days with 2112 and honestly I think I like Caress of Steel more. That might be heresy amongst the Rush fans but that's where I'm at right now. I can't wait to play Farewell to Kings today, but I am sick to death of Closer to the Heart..

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2377 on: October 30, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »
Funny story - I was working on Saturday night this past weekend (I'm a catering manager at my local university's catering dept), and I go up to our Event Tech Services guys there in our banquet room and ask if they take requests. I half-jokingly asked for "2112", the song, in its entirety. One guy says "Yeah we do", to which I replied "Well, I was only half-joking". The other guy says "but you were half-serious, too" and as soon as the current song had ended, the opening swirl of 2112 began.

We were tired, it was late, and we wanted the last 30-35 stragglers to get out so we could all clean up and get out of there. Sure enough, by the time the Overture had finished, about 10-15 people had left, and the rest were standing up getting ready to go. I think somewhere around Presentation, the last few people had left the room.

I told the ETS guys later "I love prog rock, but man it sure is a crowd-killer." :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2378 on: October 30, 2017, 11:28:30 AM »
Ha! That is awesome!  It sounds like you cleared these hallowed halls..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2379 on: October 30, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
I did some searching and you can buy the episode for $2 bucks

https://www.axs.tv/buy-axs-tv-programming-online/buy-the-big-interview-online/

Seems like it's downloadable and in full HD resolution.