Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496764 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2310 on: October 19, 2017, 11:28:54 PM »
Oh, Chycki worked on the drum sound? Lovely.

:rollin

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2311 on: October 20, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »

Maybe this is one more  last chance for him, before DT decide if he will be hired to record the next album or not! :lol :lol
Seriously, after seeing JP talk about that he likes the drum sound of I&W (on German documentary), I'm a bit worried if we will have a truly great and organinc drum sound on any DT album again...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2312 on: October 20, 2017, 10:04:38 AM »
Just to add, truly a shame, because Rush's S&A (which Chycki recorded) have one of the greatest drum sounds that I've ever heard IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2313 on: October 20, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »
Just to add, truly a shame, because Rush's S&A (which Chycki recorded) have one of the greatest drum sounds that I've ever heard IMO.

But then Neil Pearts drumset isn't set up like Manginis. Manginis drum setup, I feel, is hard to mix well without bleeding. Hes only had 3 albums try and get a good mix. Which isn't much, hopefully he'll get it good with the new album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2314 on: October 20, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »

While S&A overall sounds a bit too dry, I agree that the drums sound really good.  I can't say they sound as good on that record as they do on most of their albums from the late 70s though the early 90s, but they still sound good.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2315 on: October 20, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2316 on: October 21, 2017, 08:18:47 AM »

Maybe this is one more  last chance for him, before DT decide if he will be hired to record the next album or not! :lol :lol
Seriously, after seeing JP talk about that he likes the drum sound of I&W (on German documentary), I'm a bit worried if we will have a truly great and organinc drum sound on any DT album again...

I thought exactly the same. Actually when I heard DT12 for the first time, the drum sound reminded me a lot of I&W.
Hopefully that won't be the case.

I remember watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTYWwqchhQ an FINALLY understanding what kind of drummer MM is and how much time and thoughts go into the writing of his drum parts. The stuff he plays is absolutely thought through and groovy, but Petrucci ruins most of it with that inorganic, compressed drumsound.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2317 on: October 21, 2017, 08:51:09 AM »
Mangini already played Xanadu live. With all the percussion parts!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOyQnanMEKs

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2318 on: October 21, 2017, 01:18:23 PM »
Holy Shit!   :omg:   That was amazing!

I watched the whole thing.  Great cover of a great song.  Watching/listening gave me a new appreciation for MM, and also Neil who of course wrote the original parts.  Neil's approach to percussion is unmatched in the rock world or anywhere else, and watching someone like Mangini reproduce it was captivating.  So much going on in that song, and he did it all pretty much perfectly.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2319 on: October 21, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »
Yea that video is pretty damn incredible.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2320 on: October 21, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
The rest of the band sounded pretty good, too.  And with them low in the mix like that, I could sing along and be Geddy.  (Yeah, right.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2321 on: October 22, 2017, 06:44:43 AM »
I had never seen these little interviews with Alex before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBaWfLReXMM&t= (talking about Power Windows in 1985)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRC_kiBOx7Y (talking about Hold Your Fire in 1987)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2322 on: October 22, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »
Those were fun to watch. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2323 on: October 22, 2017, 03:36:46 PM »
I love his little chuckle when the interviewer trying to make a comparison between Tai Shan and A Passage to Bangkok, as if both are about visiting a faraway land.

"Actually, sir, A Passage to Bangkok is about smoking pot..." :lol :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2324 on: October 22, 2017, 06:29:40 PM »
I had never seen these little interviews with Alex before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBaWfLReXMM&t= (talking about Power Windows in 1985)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRC_kiBOx7Y (talking about Hold Your Fire in 1987)

Been a while since I've seen these. Have them on a video interview comp somewhere.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2325 on: October 22, 2017, 06:33:10 PM »
https://www.rush.com/a-farewell-to-kings-40th-anniversary-release/

For anyone looking to pre-order right away! I'm mostly into this for the complete Hammersmith show! I really want the super deluxe set but dropping $159 after shipping is a bit much for me right now. I might have to stick with the 3CD set...*sigh*

-Marc.

Have mixed reactions about this. I think there's an Ole factor here too (releases have been mostly dodgy since the transaction.)

There does seem to be a formula at work here too. Hugh Syme has apparently been given the job of revising, updating, ruining (insert adjective here) these reissues. I've always mostly liked his analog work but I've always found his digital work to be hit or miss (mostly miss) so there's a part of me that's not so enthused about the new art and also the old art is so iconic for me that to change it without having any grounding thread of connection to it kind of bothers me.

I do like that the 2015 remasters are being upgraded to CD. So far that (They sound better for like the first time since the original CDs) and the live bonus material will be the reasons I'll just settle for the CD package.

I think the reissued 7 inches are cool too (Although I have the originals) but I'm not cool with buying stuff I don't want  for the privilege of getting what I do want. Too bad there isn't a more extensive a la carte list.

As far as the Deluxe releases go, I only just got 2112 3CD set in the summer because could wait a while on the unreleased live tracks which I love and the commentary with Alex and Terry Brown. (It's my guess that Alex is the go to guy on these.)

I was surprised that it's probably the best sounding 2112 CD that I have and I may have gotten it sooner if I knew that so while I may wait a while to get the 3CD set of A Farewell To Kings I probably won't wait nine months or whatever because I know the music will sound great.

Not at all interested in commemorative hoodies, T-shirts, skateboards, one ring to rule them all rings or anything of little-to-no historical value. The lithographs, while very cool, don't add enough value along side that other stuff.

Your mileage may vary.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2326 on: October 23, 2017, 03:59:29 PM »
Geddy is a guest on The Big Interview with Dan Rather 10/24 on AXS.

Story Here
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2327 on: October 23, 2017, 05:05:45 PM »
Geddy is a guest on The Big Interview with Dan Rather 10/24 on AXS.

Story Here

Ninja'd! :facepalm:

Was just about to post this. The preview is fantastic.

Set to record!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2328 on: October 24, 2017, 09:58:41 PM »
That was a spectacular sit-down between Ged and Dan. Highly recommend that any fan seek that out and watch it.

I have to admit that, as a Chicagoan, I geeked out when Ged specifically attributed his love of baseball to watching my Cubbies on WGN while traveling the US.

Little hints of, maybe, an album and tour at some point down the road. He made it pretty clear that it would not be Rush. Says he is constantly writing and laying down riffs and ideas.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2329 on: October 25, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
Very nice interview!

When he said that it is highly unlikely that Rush will ever tour again, you could see in his eyes how sad he still is about it. :(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2330 on: October 25, 2017, 07:03:30 PM »
I set it to record last night, but for some reason it only recorded one minute. Thankfully it was on again tonight.
What an amazing interview. I could've listened to that all night.

I give Rush a lot of grief, but they were as big as a musical influence on me as any other band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2331 on: October 25, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »
Much like Fates Warning though I've been wanting to listen to Rush from the beginning for a long time but finally bit the bullet and started tonight with their debut. I'm looking forward to finally hearing their vast catalogue. There are many, many bands like this (classic, famous, lots of albums) that I need to do this with and I'm glad to start with Rush... maybe I'll become a big fan by the end of this. Either way it's a fun experiment. The debut was fun, I listened to it twice, but it was so long ago that I doubt it's very representative of what Rush actually is. Should get interesting a few albums from now.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2332 on: October 25, 2017, 07:44:41 PM »
Each album has it's own sound and they have always evolved trying new things. Enjoy the ride, you won't regret it!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2333 on: October 25, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »
When was the last Rush album discussion?  Has there been one yet?  Does anyone have dibs?

Because I will totally do it.   My life is so busy that it might be just one every 2 weeks.  (I've done FW and QR over at the MP forum, and once a week is surprisingly taxing.  You feel like you barely have time to prepare)   That would make the album discussion take over a year, but I would totally be up for it!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2334 on: October 25, 2017, 10:59:41 PM »
KevShmev did Rush three years ago, starting in September 2014.

The Discography Discussion Tracker is your friend

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2335 on: October 26, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »
Man. I just played Fly By Night twice. Not sure why it didn't click when I bought the CD some years ago but my ass was thoroughly kicked on this one. Chewing on my thoughts right now - still not sure what to make of Rivendell and In The End but the rest is pretty solid. Still no idea what the hell By-Tor is about but it's one of the best here, the title track was always my favorite of Rush's hits, and Anthem and Best I Can rock. Keeping a playlist of my favorites after 2-3 listens of each album for future reference. I like this album a lot, blows the debut out of the water.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2336 on: October 26, 2017, 10:08:32 AM »
Man. I just played Fly By Night twice. Not sure why it didn't click when I bought the CD some years ago but my ass was thoroughly kicked on this one. Chewing on my thoughts right now - still not sure what to make of Rivendell and In The End but the rest is pretty solid. Still no idea what the hell By-Tor is about but it's one of the best here, the title track was always my favorite of Rush's hits, and Anthem and Best I Can rock. Keeping a playlist of my favorites after 2-3 listens of each album for future reference. I like this album a lot, blows the debut out of the water.

Funny, I wrote off "By-Tor..." for a long time because it just seemed... stupid, but musically, it's pretty damn solid. I like "In The End" too. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2337 on: October 26, 2017, 10:10:16 AM »
I love In The End. Especially the ATWAS version. It's actually one of my all time favorite Rush songs.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2338 on: October 26, 2017, 10:14:13 AM »
I'll probably play it again this afternoon/tonight, and tomorrow before I play Caress of Steel (I want to compare and contrast the previous album with the next one). Thankfully my job allows me ample time with my headphones :) Could just be because those two are at the end of the album... The LOTR nerd in me loves Rivendell but it's a bit long for such a mellow piece. I wish By-Tor didn't have that spacey break because it has so much energy. I remember writing it off when I was younger because it just sounded like nonsense to me but I loved hearing it today, I'm actually glad I own a copy of this album now.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2339 on: October 26, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »
Told ya so...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2340 on: October 26, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »
When was the last Rush album discussion?  Has there been one yet?  Does anyone have dibs?

Because I will totally do it.   My life is so busy that it might be just one every 2 weeks.  (I've done FW and QR over at the MP forum, and once a week is surprisingly taxing.  You feel like you barely have time to prepare)   That would make the album discussion take over a year, but I would totally be up for it!!!

KevShmev did Rush three years ago, starting in September 2014.

The Discography Discussion Tracker is your friend

By all means do it again, jammindude.  :tup :tup

I'll probably play it again this afternoon/tonight, and tomorrow before I play Caress of Steel (I want to compare and contrast the previous album with the next one). Thankfully my job allows me ample time with my headphones :) Could just be because those two are at the end of the album... The LOTR nerd in me loves Rivendell but it's a bit long for such a mellow piece. I wish By-Tor didn't have that spacey break because it has so much energy. I remember writing it off when I was younger because it just sounded like nonsense to me but I loved hearing it today, I'm actually glad I own a copy of this album now.

Good to hear you are getting into the band!

By-Tor is still a borderline top 10 Rush tune for me. 

I am not wild about Rivendell, Best I Can is kind of average, and for some reason, In the End has always just been an okay song for me, but the rest is great. And they got so much better!! :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2341 on: October 26, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
By-Tor and the Snow Dog is awesome, the first "long form" tune by them.  Is it perfect?  Nah.  But at the time, it was fucking amazing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2342 on: October 27, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »
I keep looking at the 5 songs on Caress of Steel and my immediate reaction is that of the old guy talking to the dwarf on Family Guy: "Where's the rest of ya?"

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2343 on: October 27, 2017, 07:25:24 AM »
I keep looking at the 5 songs on Caress of Steel and my immediate reaction is that of the old guy talking to the dwarf on Family Guy: "Where's the rest of ya?"

Ha! Wait’ll you get to Hemispheres (which is still a fantastic album, BTW).  ;)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2344 on: October 27, 2017, 07:31:54 AM »
If I exercise self-control I should get to Hemispheres on Monday. This minimum 1 new album per day thing is working very well for me so far, gives me ample time to replay an album all day and get to know it, as long as I enjoy it.

EDIT: The drum solo in Lamneth gave me my first ever 'holy shit' moment listening to Rush. I'm not going to comment on this album further until I give it more spins to digest The Necromancer and Lamneth, except that this is the Rush I was waiting to hear. Long songs, Peart solos, music my brain can chew on. Time to replay...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:26:38 AM by Kattelox »