Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496867 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2275 on: October 03, 2017, 11:44:22 PM »
All four are fantastic. Chain lightning is another one of the more obscure Rush songs that I'd add to the list of underrated and forgotten Presto material. What a great album that is.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2276 on: October 04, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »
Yeah, I love Chain Lightning, and I am a huge fan of that album.

Except The Pass, which sucks, and War Paint, which blows!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2277 on: October 08, 2017, 12:36:48 PM »
Middletown Dreams for me folks.
Great pick!

And yeah, Rush in Rio doesn't sound too good. Neither on the CD nor DVD.

It was never going to sound good, when you think of the stadium where it was held. I went to many shows there (Rush in Rio included, but also Pearl Jam, Judas Priest, Megadeth, The Police, Guns n Roses...), and while there's an incredible atmosphere, the sound is never 100%.

Never had a problem with the sound of the DVD. Its the CD that's the problem.

That DVD is one of the best DVD's they've ever done.   Must have been amazing to witness that.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2278 on: October 09, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »
Middletown Dreams for me folks.
Great pick!

And yeah, Rush in Rio doesn't sound too good. Neither on the CD nor DVD.

It was never going to sound good, when you think of the stadium where it was held. I went to many shows there (Rush in Rio included, but also Pearl Jam, Judas Priest, Megadeth, The Police, Guns n Roses...), and while there's an incredible atmosphere, the sound is never 100%.

Never had a problem with the sound of the DVD. Its the CD that's the problem.

That DVD is one of the best DVD's they've ever done.   Must have been amazing to witness that.

It is by far the best concert I've ever been to. And I've seen A LOT, including Maiden's Rock in Rio, Dream Theater in several continents, AC/DC in Australia, etc etc etc...

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2279 on: October 09, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »
What's everyone's non-opener/non-closer song from each album? It always seems that the opener is a catchy, very memorable "single" tune, and the closer is often a bombastic, or very epic piece, and because of these things, they're often some fan-favorites! So excluding those two pieces, which song in the middle of an album is your favorite?

Late to the party, but I liked this challenge. Took my favorite from each album between the opener and closer. Some were very close, but I went with my gut and first choice all around.

Here Again
By-Tor
The Necromancer
Tears
Xanadu
The Trees
Freewill
The Camera Eye
The Weapon
Red Sector A
Territories
Prime Mover
The Pass
Bravado
Nobody's Hero
Driven
Secret Touch
Armor And Sword
Headlong Flight
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2280 on: October 11, 2017, 03:09:53 AM »
Chain lightning is another one of the more obscure Rush songs that I'd add to the list of underrated and forgotten Presto material. What a great album that is.

The way they were dusting off deep cuts on the last few tours convinced me that it was only a matter of time before they played Chain Lightning again... Oh well, it was not to be  :-\
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2281 on: October 11, 2017, 06:02:24 AM »
Despite the issues many, including myself, have had with the sound of Presto, Chain Lightning is one song where the production works strongly in its favor. 

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2282 on: October 11, 2017, 06:06:26 AM »
Despite the issues many, including myself, have had with the sound of Presto, Chain Lightning is one song where the production works strongly in its favor.

Do you know if there is a Presto re-master?  I have the HYF re-master and it sounds fantastic.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2283 on: October 11, 2017, 06:25:48 AM »

Do you know if there is a Presto re-master?  I have the HYF re-master and it sounds fantastic.

Yes there is as well as RTB.  It's a little more "bassy" but not that it's worth buying.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DTA

« Reply #2284 on: October 11, 2017, 09:00:04 AM »

I'm baffled by how they never played this live. Best song on Presto (well, maybe tied with Available Light - also never played live!). Rush confuses me so much with their setlist choices over the years.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2285 on: October 11, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »

I'm baffled by how they never played this live. Best song on Presto (well, maybe tied with Available Light - also never played live!). Rush confuses me so much with their setlist choices over the years.

Cut to the Chase baffles me. I think that would be an amazing high energy rocker. Instead they break out How it Is. Which I like by the way.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2286 on: October 13, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »

Cut to the Chase baffles me. I think that would be an amazing high energy rocker. Instead they break out How it Is. Which I like by the way.

How It Is is one of the very few Rush songs that I don't like. I didn't mind hearing it live but certainly would have preferred Cut to the Chase (or just about anything).

Offline DTA

« Reply #2287 on: October 13, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »

Yeah CTTC is great. Again, how the hell did they not play that on the actual CP tour? It's too bad they didn't start their Evening With shows back in the 80's. I'm just imagining how creative they'd have to get with their setlists with another hour of time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2288 on: October 13, 2017, 04:57:26 PM »
It's too bad they didn't start their Evening With shows back in the 80's. I'm just imagining how creative they'd have to get with their setlists with another hour of time.

Oh man, I have gone through dozens of imaginary set lists they could have done back in the 80s if they were doing "Evening With..." shows then.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2289 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:17 PM »

Hold Your Fire has been remastered twice on CD and once on vinyl.

Presto has been remastered three times on CD and once on vinyl.

There's the first Atlantic Remaster (with crap artwork) from around 2004 or so (forgot the exact year) which was a slight improvement. A bit more punch in the bass department.

There is also a version of Presto in the Atlantic Studio Box (1989-2007). Don't know about this one because I never opened my copy.

Then there was the Audio Fidelity release which is the one I always play. It's not a miracle worker but there is a bit more clarity and more punch than the other versions that I've heard. This is the one I always pull out to when I want to hear Presto. It's more expensive than the others but if you REALLY enjoy the album it might be worth it for you.

Of course you have the original vinyl, which is kind of on the weak side as well, and the reissue vinyl which I do not have (and have not heard.)

If you're into the HD thing, supposedly the HD of the 2016 vinyl reissue is supposed to be a slight upgrade. Have no experience with those downloads so I can't say one way or the other.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2290 on: October 19, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19TH, 2017
A FAREWELL TO KINGS 40TH ANNIVERSARY RELEASE

On December 1, Rush will release a lavish, new and expanded edition of the  landmark album A Farewell to Kings — the fifth studio album originally released in 1977, which introduced the radio hit “Closer To The Heart,” album tracks “A Farewell To Kings,” “Madrigal,” “Cinderella Man,” as well as enduring fan favorites with “Xanadu” and “Cygnus X-1.”

A Farewell to Kings—40th Anniversary will be available to fans in four distinct configurations including (1) Super Deluxe Edition, (2) three-CD Deluxe Edition, (3) four-LP Deluxe Edition, and (4) the Deluxe Digital Edition.

Super Deluxe | 4LP | Deluxe 3CD

The Super Deluxe Edition includes three CDs, one Blu-ray Audio disc and four high-quality 180-gram vinyl LPs.  The set encompasses the Abbey Road Mastering Studios 2015 remastered edition of the album for the first time on CD; a complete Rush concert recorded in February 1978 at London’s Hammersmith Odeon, newly mixed by longtime Rush engineer and original A Farewell to Kings producer Terry Brown from the multi-track live tapes; four newly-recorded cover versions of songs from the original album by Dream Theater, Big Wreck, The Trews and Alain Johannes; and an instrumental studio outtake of the spacey sound effects the band has creatively titled “Cygnus X-2 Eh.”  The Hammersmith show features, for the first-time ever, over 34 minutes of unreleased performances including a complete “2112” suite, “Lakeside Park,” a drum solo and “Closer To The Heart.” The Super Deluxe Edition’s audio content on its CDs is duplicated on its vinyl discs.  Meanwhile, the Blu-ray Audio disc contains a brand new 5.1 surround mix of the album by four-time Grammy® nominated surround sound producer Steven Wilson, along with three original 1977 promo videos from a newly found 2-inch quad video master significantly improving the video quality for “Closer To The Heart.”  The Super Deluxe package also includes an elaborate new 40th anniversary cover treatment by longtime Rush creative director Hugh Syme, who has also created a new piece of artwork for each of the album’s six songs, and an extensive 12,000-word liner notes by Grammy®-winning rock historian Rob Bowman.

The Super Deluxe Edition of A Farewell to Kings—40th Anniversary will also include several exclusive items, including a unique King’s Ring, with custom velvet pouch and neck chain; two lithographs with original artwork by Hugh Syme; a special 12-inch turntable mat featuring distinctive artwork by Hugh Syme; and a reproduction of Rush’s original 1978 A Farewell To Kings tour program.

A Farewell to Kings—40th Anniversary second configuration will be released in a three-CD Deluxe Edition, with the newly reasserted A Farewell to Kings album, the Hammersmith Odeon show, the four new cover songs, “Cygnus X-2 Eh” outtake, Hugh Syme’s song-specific artwork and Rob Bowman’s liner notes.

The third configuration will be offered as an audiophile 180-gram four-LP Deluxe Edition featuring the same audio content as the three-CD edition with double-gatefold packaging, 32-page vinyl-size booklet, the special 12-inch turntable mat, along with Syme’s artwork and Bowman’s liner notes.

The fourth configuration, the Deluxe Digital Edition, will feature the original album as disc 1, the complete Hammersmith concert unedited as disc 2, and the four covers songs plus the “Cygnus X-2 Eh” outtake as disc 3.

TRACKLISTING

4-LP VINYL

LP 1 – SIDE A
Original Album - Produced by Rush and Terry Brown
A FAREWELL TO KINGS
XANADU

LP 1 – SIDE B
Closer to The Heart
Cinderella Man
Madrigal
Cygnus X-1

LP 2 – SIDE C
Live at Hammersmith Odeon – February 20, 1978
BASTILLE DAY
LAKESIDE PARK*
BY-TOR & THE SNOWDOG

LP 2 – SIDE D
XANADU
A FAREWELL TO KINGS
SOMETHING FOR NOTHING

LP 3 – SIDE E
CYGNUS X-1
ANTHEM
CLOSER TO THE HEART*

LP 3 – SIDE F
2112*

LP 4 – SIDE G
WORKING MAN
FLY BY NIGHT
IN THE MOOD
DRUM SOLO*
CINDERELLA MAN

LP 4 – SIDE H
XANADU – Dream Theater*
CLOSER TO THE HEART – Big Wreck*
CINDERELLA MAN – The Trews*
MADRIGAL – Alain Johannes*
CYGNUS X-2 EH*

A Xanadu cover by Dream Theater! But the vinyl edition is 80 bucks... :/ Still, awesome news, I'm looking forward to DT's Xanadu version!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2291 on: October 19, 2017, 08:19:12 AM »
https://www.rush.com/a-farewell-to-kings-40th-anniversary-release/

For anyone looking to pre-order right away! I'm mostly into this for the complete Hammersmith show! I really want the super deluxe set but dropping $159 after shipping is a bit much for me right now. I might have to stick with the 3CD set...*sigh*

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2292 on: October 19, 2017, 08:21:30 AM »

For anyone looking to pre-order right away! I'm mostly into this for the complete Hammersmith show! I really want the super deluxe set but dropping $159 after shipping is a bit much for me right now. I might have to stick with the 3CD set...*sigh*

-Marc.

Ha, I ninja'd someone in this forum for the first time ever :D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2293 on: October 19, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »

-Marc.

I saw your post, I was just adding the link for convenience as you only posted the information.  :tip

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2294 on: October 19, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »
So two questions: 
- is this the first of "Super Deluxe Versions"?  Does that mean there are more to come?

- I want the 5.1 surround mix; am I correct that that only comes in the Super Deluxe version?   I don't want, need or use vinyl, so that sucks balls.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2295 on: October 19, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
DT covering Xanadu?  Big Wreck covering Closer to the Heart?  Jebus, that's got potential.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2296 on: October 19, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »
So two questions: 
- is this the first of "Super Deluxe Versions"?  Does that mean there are more to come?

- I want the 5.1 surround mix; am I correct that that only comes in the Super Deluxe version?   I don't want, need or use vinyl, so that sucks balls.

This is not the first of the 40th Super Deluxe Editions. 2112 got one last year, which I own. I fear that I cannot resist this one either.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2297 on: October 19, 2017, 09:00:50 AM »

-Marc.

I saw your post, I was just adding the link for convenience as you only posted the information.  :tip

-Marc.

Ah nards.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2298 on: October 19, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »
I wish they would do something like Genesis; three (or four) boxes, each era, all in 5.1 surround.  That's really what interests me.   

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2299 on: October 19, 2017, 09:16:59 AM »
Does this mean we get to hear Mangini do Xanadu? Awesome.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2300 on: October 19, 2017, 09:28:43 AM »
I wish they would do something like Genesis; three (or four) boxes, each era, all in 5.1 surround.  That's really what interests me.   

Yes, that would be nice. All I want from this is the Blu-Ray with all the content on it. That's it. But I have to pay $160 to get it? I'm sure it's a nice set, and god knows I'll probably end up buying it as it is my favorite album of all time, but these types of cash grabs by Rush in the later years just leaves a really sour taste in my mouth.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2301 on: October 19, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »
I just wanted to say that I love the title  "Cygnus X-2 Eh".

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2302 on: October 19, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing Dream Theater covering Xanadu. None of us had any idea this was in the works.  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2303 on: October 19, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »

Yes, that would be nice. All I want from this is the Blu-Ray with all the content on it. That's it. But I have to pay $160 to get it? I'm sure it's a nice set, and god knows I'll probably end up buying it as it is my favorite album of all time, but these types of cash grabs by Rush in the later years just leaves a really sour taste in my mouth.

Exactly how I feel.  PLus I just feel guilty with these nice vinyl sets sitting on the shelves unplayed and possibly being ruined (AC/DC's box was the same way). 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2304 on: October 19, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »

I ann actually more excited about that than the actual remaster :D

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2305 on: October 19, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »

I ann actually more excited about that than the actual remaster :D

I'll get it just for the live release and cover songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2306 on: October 19, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »
The Blu Ray is just audio, I don't have a Blu Ray player or surround sound anyway, so I think I'm good with the cheap version. :) Can't wait to hear Xanadu and the live show.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2307 on: October 19, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
Pretty sure the Hammersmith show is the same one that was released as a bonus disc with Different Stages. This one is just the full show remixed by Terry Brown. Either way, pretty cool to get the full show. Also curious to hear Terry's mix of it.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #2308 on: October 19, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »
I am so excited to hear DT's version of Xanadu. I've been on a major Rush kick lately, and that song is by far my favorite. What a nice surprise.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2309 on: October 19, 2017, 04:43:45 PM »

Could this have been the reason why Mangini and Chycki where at LA in a studio recording drums for some project?