Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496674 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2170 on: August 01, 2017, 05:08:23 PM »
Now that Rush is supposedly done, I wonder if Geddy and Alex will do any projects under a different name.  I'd almost like to see Geddy Lee in the Yes line-up with Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman. Imagine the increase in ticket sales. It might even bump them up to larger venues. This is all hypothetical, I really hope Rush has another album in them.
Who knows, maybe they are working on one and that's why everything is so quiet in the Rush camp right now..

They still owe the record company one more album so We still will have one more Rush album.

I swear, if they all died tomorrow I'd still see people claiming that we'd be getting one more album since they owe it to the record company. :p

IF Rush decides to do another album it will be covered under their current deal. However I highly doubt at this stage in their career they would have signed anything that would force them to write and record new material against their will.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2171 on: August 01, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »
Now that Rush is supposedly done, I wonder if Geddy and Alex will do any projects under a different name.  I'd almost like to see Geddy Lee in the Yes line-up with Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman. Imagine the increase in ticket sales. It might even bump them up to larger venues. This is all hypothetical, I really hope Rush has another album in them.
Who knows, maybe they are working on one and that's why everything is so quiet in the Rush camp right now..

Eh, I'd rather see him do something more interesting than becoming the touring bass player for a washed up band.

IF Rush decides to do another album it will be covered under their current deal. However I highly doubt at this stage in their career they would have signed anything that would force them to write and record new material against their will.

Agreed.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2172 on: August 01, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »
Nick you buzzkill.  Let me dream!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2173 on: August 01, 2017, 05:55:48 PM »
Going with the wave of pessimism here - Even if their contract still holds true after what was pretty much their final and farewell tour, the band has enough pull and clout with their label that they could probably pull out of said contract, even if it cost them money. If any album could be considered for release as long as it wasn't a straight-up re-issue, perhaps a rare live album could suffice, or an album of demos that they dug out of the vaults (B-Sides never exist, as they have said, but I wouldn't mind hearing the 10-minute version of "The Main Monkey Business", or other such pre-album demos). That stuff HAS to be saved somewhere, right?!

But honestly, at this point, considering it's been so long since the last tour and we haven't heard anything from the band about ANYTHING in the last year or so, I doubt we'll ever get a 20th full-length studio album out of them, and I'm ok with that. Clockwork Angels is a beautiful swansong for the band, and their last tour was a perfect capstone to a 40+ career, where the band called the shots and did it all for themselves.

I'd much rather not see them try and force out one more album and it not be what fans want, or worse, be something fans hate. Clockwork Angels is pretty much well-loved by most fans (that I have heard/read/seen), so it would be a shame if something else came out and it soured the end of their career.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2174 on: August 01, 2017, 06:04:25 PM »
Why would it be fired if they all agree?

It they want to I'd be thrilled.  If not, it's Ben a great run.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2175 on: August 01, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »
I dunno, can't they fill their commitment with a live album or best of? The fact that they haven't put out one of those or just (as Marc said) pulled out of the contract tells me that there's at least a small desire to make one more album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2176 on: August 01, 2017, 06:59:59 PM »
Geddy and Alex have talked about wanting to make an album.  Its only if Neil agrees.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2177 on: August 02, 2017, 07:15:52 AM »
Can't that be a greatest hits album though or perhaps some bsides stuff?

You mean all three of them?   :) :) :)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2178 on: August 02, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »
Just to clarify this nonsense about being on the hook for another record...this is false. A couple of years ago someone from SRO came out and said the band were committed to do another studio record. Committed and obligated are two different things. At the time they had discussed it, but also NP had been dropping hints he was done. Things change, and they did. They agreed the end would come when one of them was through. One of them was. But various websites have taken that comment as a way to hold up hope another record was forthcoming. At present...it's not.

At the moment there isn't even much communication with each other. I had lunch with Ged in Toronto on the 16th with several other people and someone asked him what everyone was up to, and he said he'd not spoken to Neil in a couple months.

Geds writing a book right now, and playing around with some other projects and staying busy. Everyone's learning what retirement from the band looks like for them. What's their new normal? No one is ruling out another Rush project, but it's highly unlikely at this point.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2179 on: August 02, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »
At the very least can we get another Dinner at The Lodge video?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2180 on: August 03, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »
Just to clarify this nonsense about being on the hook for another record...this is false. A couple of years ago someone from SRO came out and said the band were committed to do another studio record. Committed and obligated are two different things. At the time they had discussed it, but also NP had been dropping hints he was done. Things change, and they did. They agreed the end would come when one of them was through. One of them was. But various websites have taken that comment as a way to hold up hope another record was forthcoming. At present...it's not.

At the moment there isn't even much communication with each other. I had lunch with Ged in Toronto on the 16th with several other people and someone asked him what everyone was up to, and he said he'd not spoken to Neil in a couple months.

Geds writing a book right now, and playing around with some other projects and staying busy. Everyone's learning what retirement from the band looks like for them. What's their new normal? No one is ruling out another Rush project, but it's highly unlikely at this point.

Oh cool!!! Any insight on what Ged's book is about?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2181 on: August 03, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »
Temp, any chance you'd be willing to co author it with Geddy?

Or would you have to refuse on the grounds that it'll blow your cover on DTF? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2182 on: August 03, 2017, 11:11:04 AM »
Well I will still wish upon a star Temp.  I woyld love to read a book from Alex. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2183 on: August 04, 2017, 07:31:11 PM »
I feel so alone in my adoration of TFE.....which is just compounded by my not getting the often revered Counterparts. 

After the extremely bland RTB, they realized that they needed to get their balls back.   But CP *to me* just sounded like they were trying WAAAAYYY too hard to be relevant during the grunge movement.   Stick It Out *to me* is the most blatant attempt to cash in on what was cool at the time that I've ever heard them be guilty of.   Nobody's Hero comes across as hammy, heavy handed and preachy.  I do like Cut To the Chase, Alien Shore, and Cold Fire.  Everyday Glory is very meh....but it sounds too much like a lame attempt to redo Available Light.  Animate is OK I guess.

But TFE sounds more like the guys found their "sweet spot".   After trying too hard to prove they were heavy again, they took a step back and made it their own.   The first 5 songs on that album are (again...to me) one of the greatest opening 5 in their ENTIRE catalog.  The only real klunkers on the entire album are Dog Years and Totem.   Also don't get the hate for Virtuality.   In spite of the somewhat dated lyrics (which aren't nearly as cringeworthy as some people try to make them out to be) DAT RIFF is seriously one of the GREATEST RIFFS that Alex has ever written.   It more than makes up for B-level input from Neil.    Other than the two aforementioned tracks, every other song on that album is absolutely 10 on a ten scale.   And I say TFE is a top 5 (maybe 6 after Clockwork Angels) Rush album.

I love it too.  Don't forget the acoustic guitar. I love that they brought those back for that album. Probably like Leave That Thing alone more than anything on Test For Echo, but that just speaks to greatness of Leve That Thing Alone.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2184 on: August 04, 2017, 07:42:31 PM »
The only song on Counterparts which I didn't think matched all the others songs in quality was The Speed Of Love.  They talked about the trouble they had writing the song and to me is just felt unfinished.

That's the clunker on that album for me (and Stick It Out too I guess.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2185 on: August 04, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »

THANK YOU!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2186 on: August 04, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »
Well I will still wish upon a star Temp.  I woyld love to read a book from Alex.

Perhaps you'd enjoy a comic strip instead?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2187 on: August 04, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »
I just read about this today!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2188 on: August 05, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »
I feel so alone in my adoration of TFE.....which is just compounded by my not getting the often revered Counterparts. 

After the extremely bland RTB, they realized that they needed to get their balls back.   But CP *to me* just sounded like they were trying WAAAAYYY too hard to be relevant during the grunge movement.   Stick It Out *to me* is the most blatant attempt to cash in on what was cool at the time that I've ever heard them be guilty of.   Nobody's Hero comes across as hammy, heavy handed and preachy.  I do like Cut To the Chase, Alien Shore, and Cold Fire.  Everyday Glory is very meh....but it sounds too much like a lame attempt to redo Available Light.  Animate is OK I guess.

But TFE sounds more like the guys found their "sweet spot".   After trying too hard to prove they were heavy again, they took a step back and made it their own.   The first 5 songs on that album are (again...to me) one of the greatest opening 5 in their ENTIRE catalog.  The only real klunkers on the entire album are Dog Years and Totem.   Also don't get the hate for Virtuality.   In spite of the somewhat dated lyrics (which aren't nearly as cringeworthy as some people try to make them out to be) DAT RIFF is seriously one of the GREATEST RIFFS that Alex has ever written.   It more than makes up for B-level input from Neil.    Other than the two aforementioned tracks, every other song on that album is absolutely 10 on a ten scale.   And I say TFE is a top 5 (maybe 6 after Clockwork Angels) Rush album.

I love it too.  Don't forget the acoustic guitar. I love that they brought those back for that album. Probably like Leave That Thing alone more than anything on Test For Echo, but that just speaks to greatness of Leve That Thing Alone.
Test For Echo is awesome!  I love the song Virtuality, great riffs catchy chorus and the cow bells are nice.. Time and Motion is a nice gem that rarely gets discussed, and I even like Dog Years. C'mon man, it's the season of the itch, sad son of a bitch!  🐶
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2189 on: August 05, 2017, 03:54:09 PM »
I wouldn't say that TFE has the greatest 5 song opening, but I definitely would say its one of the best 2 song opening. The title track and Driven are two of my favorite rush songs, then the album starts going up and down for me.

Half the world, the color of right and Time and motion are meh for me and I outright Hate dog years.

Totem I dig, But then it comes back around with 3 songs I love which are Virtuality, the bittersweet and utterly beautiful Resist and the the very cool Limbo.

And then It finishes with carve away the stone, which leaves alot to be desired in a final track. It aint no Mystic rythms and it aint no The garden.

So overall, Test for echo is like a nice piece of filet mignon, which someone pooped on. Somewhere in there is a very satisfying meal, but you're gonna have to eat a little shit.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2190 on: August 05, 2017, 05:20:58 PM »
 :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2191 on: August 05, 2017, 11:39:31 PM »
I enjoy Test For Echos. I was weird in choosing which albums to buy. That was my 2nd one and I still listen to pretty much all but Dog Years.

I prefer the live acoustic version of Resist.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2192 on: August 06, 2017, 08:50:47 AM »
In a vacuum, I get why The Speed of Love is not liked very much, but when you listen to Counterparts from start to finish, it fits in nicely between the splashy rocker Alien Shore and the dark and heavy Double Agent.  It provides a little breather and lets you kick back for a few.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2193 on: August 06, 2017, 09:08:13 AM »
Also in regard to counterparts, I love Leave that thing alone

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2194 on: August 06, 2017, 11:43:21 PM »
In a vacuum, I get why The Speed of Love is not liked very much, but when you listen to Counterparts from start to finish, it fits in nicely between the splashy rocker Alien Shore and the dark and heavy Double Agent.  It provides a little breather and lets you kick back for a few.

I agree. If I had to choose a worst song from Counterparts, it'd definitely be Between Sun & Moon. I'm honestly not sure what they were going for with that one.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2195 on: August 07, 2017, 03:47:06 AM »
I must be listening to a different album in TfE. Hated it at the time and every time I've tried it since.

And I enjoyed all of the 80s output except for Presto - that one never clicked though it's a masterpiece compared to TfE and everything that came after TFE except for CA.

For me it was the start of the lack of melody in the vocals but this got far worse after TfE. Going to have to have yet another listen now... look what you've done to me DTF.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2196 on: August 07, 2017, 04:48:04 AM »
We're trying to help you man.  Concentrate! :chill

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2197 on: August 07, 2017, 04:49:14 AM »

I agree. If I had to choose a worst song from Counterparts, it'd definitely be Between Sun & Moon. I'm honestly not sure what they were going for with that one.
Maybe a song with a great groove and an infectious chorus. I've never had the issue with this song, it's always been one of my favorites on Counterparts. My least favorite is The Speed of love, like it is for most people. It might be unconventional, but Animate is also one of my lesser favorites. It kind of goes on forever and I find the chorus too repetitive.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2198 on: August 07, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
The Rhythm guitar has a AC/DC sound to it in that song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2199 on: August 07, 2017, 02:03:26 PM »
We're trying to help you man.  Concentrate! :chill

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2200 on: August 07, 2017, 06:46:07 PM »
Between the Sun and Moon = Really great verses + worst chorus in Rush history.

Yes, INFINITLY WORSE than "net boy, net girl"
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2201 on: August 07, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »
Also in regard to counterparts, I love Leave that thing alone

Still a top 10 rush song, IMO.

I love it.  It manages to rock while having soaring vocal melodies, which were perfectly suited for what Geddy's voice was at the time (it wouldn't have been the same 10 years earlier or 10 years later).

It might be unconventional, but Animate is also one of my lesser favorites. It kind of goes on forever and I find the chorus too repetitive.

I remember the first time I heard Animate; I couldn't believe how great it was.  And I still feel that way.  I think I overlook it way too much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2202 on: August 07, 2017, 07:13:32 PM »
I love The Who nod in Between Sun & Moon.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2203 on: August 10, 2017, 05:27:22 PM »
I love The Who nod in Between Sun & Moon.

Guess that's why Geddy dedicated it to John Entwistle opening night in Hartford in 2002 and not another song. Thanks for putting that together for me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2204 on: August 10, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »
Damn.  I thought that was common knowledge!  I was there in Hartford.   A very emotional night.